Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Guilt vs Remorse #2

• Mentor
Discussion Re: Guilt vs Remorse #2
#130: December 11, 2014, 08:18:15 AM
Maelstrom I agree with Stayed and TMT. Detach, work on yourself. You cannot "win" him back. What will you have "won"? A broken man that you have to tiptoe around every moment? What kind of marriage is that? Stand up and be strong. I know its hard and it seems counter intuitive, but its the only way to get yourself into a healthy place and move through this situation.

You have to get to the place where you are not afraid to speak your truth regardless of what he may think. You have to get to the place where you are not afraid to let him go. You have to get to the place where you are important and strong and decisive. If you operate out of fear, you will lose yourself. No one else is worth losing yourself over.

((hugs))
Married 18
BD April 2012
Left home Nov 2012
Home May 2016

Re: Guilt vs Remorse #2
#131: March 31, 2015, 03:47:35 AM
Ex did actually say I'm sorry I know I hurt you a lot (never looking in my eyes while h said so) he even admitted to be 75 percent at fault but he's done nothing to make it better only made it worse !
Put a knife  through your heart and twist it and hundred times, does it hurt, this what my kids feel. Put a second knife through your heart and twist them both a hundred times and this is what I feel for I carry the pain of my children in my heart as well as mine!!!

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
#132: April 03, 2015, 06:28:53 AM
Ex did actually say I'm sorry I know I hurt you a lot (never looking in my eyes while h said so)

In which case - that was just guilt. True remorse takes much more than an apology. My H said he was so sorry and was in tears 6 months after BD. He looked straight at me and then spent the weekend with OW. 

Whilst the monster has hold - there can never be true remorse but lots and lots of guilt.
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017.
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

#133: April 03, 2015, 11:04:46 AM
Guilt = alienation!! They alienate themselves as much as possible and ow surely knows how to help with the alienation!!
 My ex was a drug addict and he blames me for his addiction!! He now says that he's clean! Ow trapped him and got pregnant and managed to convince him to leave the country with her! New country = alienation, new family = alienation, new job =alienation!!
He said that he misses the kids but he barely calls, he said that he was holding back from the baby cause he was not giving attention to d and s and still he does not call regularly! Words that speak of guilt but no action done!!
Put a knife  through your heart and twist it and hundred times, does it hurt, this what my kids feel. Put a second knife through your heart and twist them both a hundred times and this is what I feel for I carry the pain of my children in my heart as well as mine!!!

#134: September 23, 2015, 01:09:25 PM
This is great. My WW is racked with guilt, but there is no remorse. So helpful to see it all spelled out like this.
Me: 46 Her: 41
M: 5.5 yrs / S: 20, 18
3/26 W and I meet OW
BD: 5/2/2015, she takes off ring
W all but moves out 6/26
NC: 9/5

S
#135: November 25, 2015, 04:18:58 PM
Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

My H does not say sorry easily. Not unless he accidentally hurt me physically, like drop something on my toe. Something like that.

If he does emerge from the fog, I don't expect to hear a sorry.

This post helped me to understand the difference in guilt and remorse. LIKE Stayed! Thanks.

Sahmom

#136: January 22, 2016, 10:26:18 PM
I love it! Makes so much sense and gives me hope for my personal growth. I want to be accountable for my past regrets so I can really heal and leave them behind me. Thank you so much for sharing!
"Growth is the only evidence of life." John Henry Newman

t
#137: January 23, 2016, 03:29:40 PM
Two very important things I've learned from this.  And these are just my beliefs, I don't know if they are right or wrong. 

1.  You must be strong - strong in the sense of taking care of you and your children, finances, etc.  Strong about your boundaries.  I don't know how exactly to explain it, but it is very important.  Most especially for you but also the mlc'r sees any emotional distress or struggle as a weakness to be taken advantage of.  I know this.  I've been down this road. 

2.  Words without actions are meaningless.  Very important!!!  If the actions don't CONSISTENTLY match the words then the words mean nothing.  This can be applied to all people in your life.  Pay close attention to this. 
BD Feb 2014
DONE

#138: January 24, 2016, 07:54:50 AM
Two very important things I've learned from this.  And these are just my beliefs, I don't know if they are right or wrong. 

1.  You must be strong - strong in the sense of taking care of you and your children, finances, etc.  Strong about your boundaries.  I don't know how exactly to explain it, but it is very important.  Most especially for you but also the mlc'r sees any emotional distress or struggle as a weakness to be taken advantage of.  I know this.  I've been down this road. 

2.  Words without actions are meaningless.  Very important!!!  If the actions don't CONSISTENTLY match the words then the words mean nothing.  This can be applied to all people in your life.  Pay close attention to this.

I completely agree tmt ;)

The 'words without actions are meaningless' is a big one for me. My ex thinks that his words are more important than his actions - his words are basically empty but his actions speak volumes. In the early days of our relationship they somewhat matched but once he realized that I "believed" his words the actions started to disconnect. It is hard to fake action, in my opinion, where as words can be said with no meaning behind them. I am getting better at observing the actions.
We all do damage. Character is determined by how we repair it.

BD - December 2012
OW1 confirmed - December 2012 on-and-off for 34 months and counting (still refers to her as just a 'friend')
Wants to live like roommates - November 2013
I moved out - April 2015
H is still checking the anchor

#139: January 25, 2016, 10:21:14 PM
I want to thank you for posting this again....I have thought of it so many times since I read it last week and want to print it and keep it. GREAT insight!
"Growth is the only evidence of life." John Henry Newman

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.