Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story “As much as you burn me, baby, I should be ashes by now.”

b
My Story Re: Ten Years After
#120: March 24, 2023, 10:37:00 AM
Agree that accepting them for who they are now is key to healing and moving on.  I am 7 years removed from this MLC craziness and almost 1 year newly married to a man who tells me every so often I'm his best friend..  and he's mine too.  Life doesn’t get better by sheer chance.  You have to choose to make the best of it.

Ten Years After
#121: March 24, 2023, 10:30:28 PM
Thank you for sharing how it is like further down the road HT. My therapist was right, those questions will remain unanswered. Now, it doesn’t really matter anymore because it doesn’t change anything.

What I’m still bothered about is  seeing my ex having the best time of his life like nothing happened. How unfair is that. You are right again with how hurting people hurt other people. My ex had been cheated and had cheated in the past with his exes. However, he had a good family. His parents supported him. Perhaps it’s just his character and not MLC.
Me 43 at BD
H    45 at BD
Married 11 yrs at BD, no kids,
BD May 2019 (I moved out Nov 2019)
EA or PA with ex gf (not sure), H spent 3 nights with the hoe during our vacation in July 2019, it was a friendly encounter according to H
H wanted D April 2020 seeing suspected OW2 (divorced with two kids) and 2 years older than him, H didn’t file the D
Clinging boomerang
6/21 H moved in with me; kicked him out 01/22
H turned into a vanisher, wants a Divorce, OW 3 (16 years younger and extreme sporty)
14.11.22 Divorce final, I'm done

• Administrator
I merged them and brought it back so you can finish it here.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 07:04:42 AM by OldPilot »

Thanks, folks, for following along. It is validating to have others moving into the same wavelength. The timing, the years it takes, are not so important. When I would sob to my counselor "How long do I have to feel this way (crazy!), he would say "It takes as long as it takes." (He would also say "You're not crazy, you're grieving.")

What I’m still bothered about is  seeing my ex having the best time of his life like nothing happened.
Dragonfly, my advice would be--don't "see" what he is doing. And I would add, whatever you're "seeing"--social media, sightings by friends, his bragging, gossip--it's all going to skew "Hey, Look Here, Everything Is Great!" Just don't look. Get some distance; get more detached. "See" the good things you are doing & the good things you will do in the future.

I did some snooping including finding their wedding pictures on FB. I kept trying to make the puzzle pieces explain this surreal world I had been forced into. But I had to stop, I was done; none of the information I could find could tell me what happened & why. Maybe my H is having the time of his life; I don't know. But I truly believe somewhere deep down where his honesty & decency went to hibernate, he has an ache in his heart about our lost R, the shattered R's he has/doesn't have with our sons, & the lost friends/family. He lied to himself & he deceived himself before he lied to & deceived me--a price will be paid for that.

Hugs,
HT 
Detach and Survive: A Book of Self-Care for the Wives of Midlife Crisis Men
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing, Susan Anderson
Healing the Shame that Binds You, John Bradshaw
The Addictive Personality, Craig Nakken
https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M'ed 41 years
BD-Jan 2013
Legally separated Feb 2013
D'ed without my consent July 2015
H M'ed OW Sept 2015

I kept trying to make the puzzle pieces explain this surreal world I had been forced into. But I had to stop, I was done; none of the information I could find could tell me what happened & why.

I did the same. Most of us do for a while, even just a little, and longer than is good for us. It’s normal as HT says.
Looking back, I think it serves a strange purpose if not a healthy one perhaps.....most of it is a trauma response, just like HT says, trying to make the pieces explain what we can’t grasp. It’s a desperate kind of feeling, isn’t it? I remember it even now. I think we do it until we realise that it isn’t giving us the answer we need, again just as HT says. But I think it can also metaphorically rub out nose in the actual reality.....I still remember the strange sense of idk, shock? weirdness? of seeing a picture of my h (bc in my heart he still was my h, and legally had only been my xh for a couple of weeks) getting married.....it forced me to accept things I could not understand. And that was painful but useful and necessary.

I think the tricksy bit - and again most of us go through this stage - is holding the belief that anything they are doing or not doing, whether they seem happy or not, says anything at all about us. That’s the nut to crack imho....and, for me, removing him from my head and not seeing or knowing helped me to break that ‘habit’. Again jmo, but I think that is just as true if you are telling yourself the ‘they look happy so I must have been wrong about my marriage’ story or the ‘they look miserable so karma proves i’m right’ story. One cracks the nut when it’s more like a stranger on a train whose happiness or unhappiness, success or failure, is not an issue in your life....and like a stranger, not knowing helped me.

I have found that it is a habit in a strange way, love, or perhaps attachment more accurately. It was built over time with thousands of small things....interactions, conversations, small moments, shared memories....and it takes time to unlearn that habit and replace it with new and different habits. It took me years but now I simply don’t think of myself in the same way and would find going back to that kind of attachment very strange. Again, looking back, I think it took me about five years to lose all of the old mental habit...which seems like a darned long time  :)....but I am far from where I was. Idk if that’s good or bad as such, but it is certainly different and more peaceful than the desperate rollercoaster years. I’m grateful for that. Nothing special about me....we all get to new habits imho in the same way we built the old ones....with time and a series of small steps.

Maybe my H is having the time of his life; I don't know. But I truly believe somewhere deep down where his honesty & decency went to hibernate, he has an ache in his heart about our lost R, the shattered R's he has/doesn't have with our sons, & the lost friends/family. He lied to himself & he deceived himself before he lied to & deceived me--a price will be paid for that.
I am less certain than HT about this. Or perhaps I am just accustomed to telling myself I don’t know.
Having said that, writ large, I suppose I do agree with HT that lying, betraying and causing damage to people who have loved and trusted you for decades is a big thing. In the short term post BD, it seems as if we LBS pay a heavy price simply bc we value the things that are lost and damaged. They do not I think for the simple reason that, at the time, they don’t value those things as we do. In the longer term anecdotally, that changes for some perhaps as they find themselves in a life that isn’t quite how they imagined it would turn out to be. But maybe that isn’t the case for all of them. Or they manage somehow to continue to justify it to themselves or blame others for it. True narcissists - of which there are relatively few of course - will never feel like normal folks feel about these kind of things even when it is blindingly obvious that they should. (A recent appearance by our former PM here, Boris Johnson, appearing before a committee to testify about lying to parliament was like a case study of the Narcissist’s Prayer in action  :).....from it never happened to if it did, it wasn’t my fault lol....almost laughably nonsensical to watch but not so easy if you were one of the people outraged or grief stricken about losing a loved one during a Covid lockdown where you followed the rules and Mr Johnson did not. Just like with an MLCer imho, a level of emotional detachment makes a difference....but it is self evidently true that he feels no shame and will not carry consequences that hurt him in the way that might feel fair to so many others.)

Having said that, most of our spouses were/are not true narcissists at that level imho....they may have been a bit higher on the narcissistic scale than we believed or they may have shot up there as part of an MLC type fracture. So I suppose it makes sense to believe writ large, as HT says, that they are not probably incapable of shame, remorse or regret entirely. Creating this kind of pain and distress and damage by one’s own actions in life is a big thing....and i’d guess that there is some kind of price to pay for that eventually. If only that you have to accept that you are a person who can do these things to people who love and trust you, that you are not actually the kind of good, decent, trustworthy or kind human being that you thought you were or wanted to be.

I find that as incomprehensible as I always did, so tbh I accept that I do not know what it might be like to walk in those shoes years later. Part of my own progress was learning that I now know what it feels like to have one’s life and predictable beliefs implode....I can never quite go back to the Me I was before I knew that can happen or knew how I can react when it does.  Maybe, for them, it’s a bit the same....they can never unknow what they are capable of doing or perhaps that others could do the same to them. I don’t know. What I do know is two things.....that it had nothing to do with me, just like Mr Johnson’s behaviour and rationales had nothing to do with the millions of people trying to cope with the rules he imposed on the rest of us, and that I could not have done what my former h did so the consequences of it for him are not relevant for my life either.  It seems to me from over here in the cheap seats that our former spouses would need to do one of two things to hold their own cognitive dissonance together....either mentally erase their old life that included us or completely rewrite it as some kind of horror story of years of misery.....doing either would require losing quite a lot of one’s own life story and that must be a rather strange thing to experience....and it isn’t likely to be true, so you’re building a new you on pretty shaky psychological ground. Must be odd to live with that.

Just like with Covid, there were consequences for me and others, that’s true.....but it is necessary to unpick one from the other. Mr Johnson’s future career or lovely new house or multiple marriages will not change the reality of what it was like to live through lockdown and be unable to see my mother for almost a year....or my own choices about how I reacted at the time based on the information available to me....and I would drive myself crazy if I tried to link one with the other. Imho the same argument holds true about our former spouses.....unpicking that link is the nut we all eventually find our own way to crack. And not looking for evidence one way or the other helped me.
Stranger on a train principle..... :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 12:21:48 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

R
narcissist....they may have shot up there as part of an MLC type fracture.

I think most MLCers, especially at BD, swing to high amounts of narcissism. It is at least consistent with their script and behaviors. I think it is in response to the pain that has grown in them, the dis-ease, before BD. I helps them enjoy the attention of the OW/OM, while the LBS is unaware before BD and then have two people fight over them after BD.

I do think for many, it subsides back to "normal" amounts with time.

T
Hi, HT,

Thank you for writing, I know just how you feel -- it never goes away entirely, but life can be good regardless.

I have also finally more or less accepted that I just don't know what he does or doesn't feel, that took years and years -- probably more than for others because it took him 9 years to divorce me, and he was all over the place before that.  Even after that it took another 2 years for all the final papers to be signed, even when he was already married to OW6.  Yes, 6 -- he went through a lot of them.

I thankfully stopped looking at any social media years ago, having come to the same conclusions as everyone -- it does me no good.  The kids don't say much, they have little contact with him and refuse to meet OW6.  I haven't seen him for something like 6 years.  The only thing that he has said, earlier to me, now he's said it once or twice to the kids, is that he feels guilty.  But it stops there -- no mention of doing anything differently, no mention of regret for what he's done, if anything he just wants to feel better.  And then he goes off to his life.

I no longer worry about that; much as this crisis has had a massive effect on my children and me we just have to get on with it. 

I am sad for my children, this is now showing up in how they feel about their own lives and relationships, they've had to deal with more than many and they are angry about it and are desperate to feel more control over things; it's a hard lesson for them to learn as well that we just don't have control over how another person feels, or indeed what they do.  But it is reality, and again, we get on with it as best we can. 

But of course it says something that I'm still reading here, even if there is no longer anything to post.  I continue to learn, and also find that I use the wisdom that I get from hear to help my children.  Not to mention when working with difficult clients!

Keep on writing, HT, it's nice!

Treasur, Reinventing, & Trustandlove,

Thanks for following along & adding some experiences & thoughts about MLC. It's interesting now 10 years on to think about these things rather theoretically. We know we can't crack the code (nut?!) of MLC. We are no longer in the manic state of trying to solve the problem & fix our lives.

I still remember the strange sense of idk, shock? weirdness? of seeing a picture of my h (bc in my heart he still was my h, and legally had only been my xh for a couple of weeks) getting married.....it forced me to accept things I could not understand. And that was painful but useful and necessary.
Yes, it was him insisting on the D & getting M'ed 2 weeks later that made it "Done" for me too. It had been 2 1/2 years by then. I had juggled "I think he'll come back" with "I need to have a plan for my life alone" for that time & it did help me to move forward to have that finality.

....with time and a series of small steps.

It is important for newbies to understand that Time is your friend & not your enemy. For the few that have returns, less than 3 years minimum is rare & you really don't want them back under-baked. And then there is the time for Reconnection if that occurs. For the vast majority of us who don't have a return it is the slow drip of time that heals us, with the baseline necessities of detachment, seeking support, & taking care of ourselves. That time is excruciating at first, but eventually I could look back & see my progress at 1 year, 2 years.....now 10 years. This experience will change us as you say, we never get over it & return to where we were (how could we?), but it gets further & further away in the rearview mirror.

...most of our spouses were/are not true narcissists at that level imho....they may have been a bit higher on the narcissistic scale than we believed or they may have shot up there as part of an MLC type fracture.
I think most MLCers, especially at BD, swing to high amounts of narcissism. It is at least consistent with their script and behaviors.
It took me about 6 months to find THS & during that time my counselor framed H's actions as an addiction . H had been sober for 20 years, but according to IC (who did a lot of work with alcoholics/addicts) he was not in a recovery mindset & the OW was his new drug. That helped me put a framework to what had happened & when I learned about MLC that framework didn't really contradict any of it. One interesting thing IC said about addiction was that addicts show the traits of narcissism even if they do not have the personality disorder of Narcissism. This REALLY made sense. The lying, deceptive behavior, the lack of empathy in not anticipating my response & not really caring how I felt, & the complete focus on HIS happiness. The MLCer's FOO issues may have left them with some mild-moderate narcissistic tendencies & I learned to acknowledge that when I quit idealizing my M, but as you say, I too believe MLC exacerbates that. I remember RCR writing somewhere that MLC=depression + addiction.

It seems to me...that our former spouses would need to do one of two things to hold their own cognitive dissonance together....either mentally erase their old life that included us or completely rewrite it as some kind of horror story of years of misery.....doing either would require losing quite a lot of one’s own life story and that must be a rather strange thing to experience....and it isn’t likely to be true, so you’re building a new you on pretty shaky psychological ground. Must be odd to live with that.
Very interesting question here. I believe at least part of the answer is denial. As a drinking alcoholic my H was a master of denial. Despite the risks to his job & other risks, his drinking (heavy binges; drinking when on the job) were not the problem--my reaction to it all was the problem. Twenty years later he still showed denial about that time. Only the threat of job loss made him stop drinking, but not really accept responsibility for the behavior. The other concept that I find useful is Compartmentalization. My H had his EA/PA with OW for 5 years without me ever finding out, so he was a master of putting our life in a box & pulling OW out of her box when convenient. I'm sure those two talents  :o  ::) --denial & compartmentalization continue to serve him well.

...he has said, earlier to me, now he's said it once or twice to the kids, is that he feels guilty.  But it stops there -- no mention of doing anything differently, no mention of regret for what he's done, if anything he just wants to feel better.
I believe my H felt some shame & guilt & perhaps it pops up now, IDK--no contact & the kids & I have a "don't ask/don't tell" policy. But that useful gift of denial can keep him functioning.

I am sad for my children, this is now showing up in how they feel about their own lives and relationships...
Yes, it is so hard to see my kids affected & lacking the presence & support of their father. One seems to roll with it. S (25 at BD) was almost engaged at BD & now has a successful M. S (30 at BD) has much difficulty, not all attributable to H's actions, but the lack of a father who didn't live up to the expected ideals & can't be trusted to be a supportive presence has only contributed to the problems.

Hugs to All,
HT

Detach and Survive: A Book of Self-Care for the Wives of Midlife Crisis Men
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing, Susan Anderson
Healing the Shame that Binds You, John Bradshaw
The Addictive Personality, Craig Nakken
https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M'ed 41 years
BD-Jan 2013
Legally separated Feb 2013
D'ed without my consent July 2015
H M'ed OW Sept 2015

T
he was a master of putting our life in a box & pulling OW out of her box when convenient. I'm sure those two talents  :o  ::) --denial & compartmentalization continue to serve him well.

This resonates!  As does what you say about OW being the new drug; my H wasn't an alcoholic, but gambling was his addiction of choice....

Ha ha, maybe Vanishers are not as good at compartmentalisation  :)
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.