Skip to main content

Author Topic: Resources Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Resources Re: Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10
#20: January 22, 2024, 04:01:49 PM
That explains the mask, the anxiety, the addictions, the lack of true intimacy and the good guy persona vs the guy. Thank you.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

W

WHY

Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10
#21: January 24, 2024, 02:11:58 PM
I watched RCR's latest vid and she mentioned 10% of adults go through midlife crisis.  I've seen this 10-12% figure cited in multiple places.

But it got me thinking.  If 10% of people go through MLC, that means 20% of all marriages go through MLC.  And we know that most MLC situations end up in divorce (I dont know the exact statistic but I've heard RCR mention 50%+).

So taking into account that 50% of marriages end up in divorce in the US.  That leads me to believe that probably 15%+ of that 50% divorce rate is due to MLC. 

That's a pretty big cause of peoples lives being destroyed, children being damaged etc.  Why isnt MLC recognized as a public health issue???

EDIT: Holy smokes I just found this, "Just 4% of couples divorce after 10 years of marriage." https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/divorce/common-causes-divorce/

What does this mean Re: MLC???  I bet 99% of that 4% is due to MLC if 20% of marriages are affected by MLC.  But does that mean reconciliation rates are much higher than we think?

K
#22: January 24, 2024, 02:20:29 PM
But it got me thinking.  If 10% of people go through MLC, that means 20% of all marriages go through MLC. 

Not everyone is married or in a partnership though WHY

W

WHY

#23: January 24, 2024, 02:36:22 PM
But it got me thinking.  If 10% of people go through MLC, that means 20% of all marriages go through MLC. 

Not everyone is married or in a partnership though WHY

Good point. 

It's clear to me though that a larger % of divorces in later years are due to MLC.  Probably much higher than we think.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Ftmht2gj51ua51.jpg

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Re: Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10
#24: January 27, 2024, 04:37:18 AM
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

#25: January 27, 2024, 12:18:46 PM
Limerence article from nytimes today

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/27/style/limerence-addiction-love-crush.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Q00.4Kit.aAuskKEwOydB&smid=url-share

This is a good one. I really believe that BD throws us into our own limerence (I'm sure there's a clinical reason for this), with a tendency to idealize our spouses and overly ruminate on them in a way that we never did before. Acknowledging that this is just our brains trying to prepare and protect us from more BDs and trauma, and using some of the techniques these sorts of articles suggest really does help, over time, in returning to our healthier selves.

R
#26: January 28, 2024, 11:07:23 PM
RTT, that was really interesting to read. I know it is describing the MLCer and OW/OM, but I also think it can describe the LBS and MLCer. It definitely sounds like an addiction.

During the worst of the emotional part for me, I read about addiction and healing from addiction because I recognized that I had patterns that felt like an addict--my mind was always going back to him, I couldn't focus, restlessness since I wasn't getting my fix, the rollercoaster of emotions, etc. I'm not saying that there wasn't good reason for my response since we had been married almost 30 years. I'm saying that my response, the yearnings, the complete focus of my mind, felt like I what I've read about addiction.

That is why the MLCer rollercoaster was so very hard for me be attached to and I needed to detach from that and find my own footing.

Dr. Brewer added, “Dopamine is jet fuel. It’s what gets us motivated to do something” — even if doing something only means anticipating. The uncertainty, or intermittent reinforcement, of the occasional message from the LO keeps our brains hooked. “It’s gasoline poured on the fire,” said Dr. Brewer. We begin to mistake anxiety for excitement and excitement for joy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:31:44 PM by Reinventing »

• Mentor
#27: January 29, 2024, 07:06:50 AM
Very good article. I think this is why I have found yoga and golf helpful...for when doing those things, my mind is quieted and my focus is on the "practice".

I remember being consumed by thoughts of him all the time. It was exhausting.

The memories do come back, how can they not and I dream of him which is pretty well out of my control.

Being aware of my response and flipping it helps. So rather than recoiling from a memory, I embrace it as the good time it once was.

My understanding of EMDR (which I have not done) is that it separates the emotion/feeling of the memory or thought from the event. So the memory is still there but not the intense feelings that are experienced when a "trigger" hits.

I wonder if some of the psychedelics that are being used therapeutically do something similar in the brain?

Thanks for sharing.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

W

WHY

#28: January 29, 2024, 08:14:37 AM
While I like the article, I did notice these gems:

“There’s a fair amount of mental time travel,” said Dr. Poerio, who asked survey respondents to write descriptions of these fantasies. “It’s often not romantic or sexual in nature. It is very much about wanting to feel loved and cared for.”

If the trigger is loneliness or boredom, for example, the resulting behavior is anticipating reciprocity from the LO, added Dr. Brewer.

So if I had to share this article with my MLCer, she’d say “exactly!”  You never loved or cared for me.  You made me feel lonely because you weren’t there for me etc etc. 

So while this is not true.  This article states these are the triggers. No mention of childhood attachment wounds which make some people experience limerance in the first place…..

#29: January 29, 2024, 03:01:55 PM
It's complicated, since that won't be the catalyst for everyone, but I hear you. But in the MLC/limerent mind, they'll paint their content marriage as "boring" once they have all of these neurotransmitters and hormones activated by the limerence. And it could be that low testosterone or low estrogen may be numbing them to everything around them (not just us), and therefore we "feel" boring. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. ;) They want excitement for whatever reason, and their brains find it in the easiest way possible, i.e. the obsession with the rando that's infiltrating our lives.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.