Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story 9 years later....

My Story 9 years later....
#10: April 26, 2023, 12:05:58 AM
I agree, Shining, that not understanding is also a kind of answer. Simply, perhaps, bc it tells you what kind of people are your ‘tribe’ or not, and what kind of people you have boundaries with that mean they are not welcome to play in your garden. Learning to accept the reality of behaviour and choices you find incomprehensible AND to feel deeply comfortable staying away from it without needing to appease or excuse or doubt one’s own assessment of it is a pretty good general life skill, isn’t it?

There are lots of things that humans do that I find incomprehensible. And horrific. Every day I can read stories in a newspaper that make no sense to me at all....even if I try to imagine what it is like to stand in those incomprehensible shoes. But I don’t need to understand it, I just need to decide what is ok with me and how I respond in real life if I encounter these kinds of folks. At a simple level imho, we humans mostly do things bc - from our POV at the time - they move us towards things that feel good and away from things that feel bad. As sane adults, our impulses are tempered by our values and how we balance short term vs long term and our needs vs others. But that’s not how some folks work....or they have fundamentally different values from us. I think what gets tricky in dealing with our former spouses is bc we observe certain behaviours but also expect something different bc we had an often long and very different experience of them as a person? It’s not easy to reconcile those two experiences imho.

I found it easier to wrap my head around some of the behaviour of my xh and his ow when I started telling myself that they either believed I deserved it or, more likely perhaps, they simply did not care about the effects as lng as they got whatever it was they wanted. They were just not my sort of human. True though that I have never quite, in the light of some of the truly awful things my h did and seemed to be ok with doing, been able to figure out how much of him and our previous shared twenty years was as I believed it to be at the time. I simply don’t know....but I do know, rationally, that it can’t all have been as I thought or my then h could not have done much of what he did.  ::) that’s not an easy or comfortable thing to adjust to, is it? It’s quite a big loss of part of one’s own life experience and why imho, even years later, we can find ourselves mentally wrestling with it. And I think, with time, different LBS here reach a different narrative for themselves which feels close enough to live with which others here who see it differently try to respect.

I don’t know what your narrative is or will be, but I hope you find one that brings you some level of peace that this awful life altering experience happened to you and around you but largely not because of you. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:22:23 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• Mentor
9 years later....
#11: April 26, 2023, 06:48:38 AM
"Compartmentalization is a defense mechanism in which people mentally separate conflicting thoughts, emotions, or experiences to avoid the discomfort of contradiction.

That uncomfortable state is called cognitive dissonance, and it’s one that humans try to avoid, by modifying certain beliefs or behaviors or through strategies like compartmentalization.

Defense mechanisms are unconscious strategies whereby people protect themselves from anxious thoughts or feelings. Other prominent defense mechanisms include denial, repression, and projection, among others."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/compartmentalization

Compartmentalization is often a defense mechanism that is used by people who have experienced trauma as a way to protect themselves from conflicting emotions and thoughts. Trauma, which may have occurred in infancy and childhood, such as sexual abuse, can become compartmentalized, indeed, the victim  may not be consciously aware of the trauma that had occurred in their early years.

And so, this defense mechanism is used to prevent the person from feeling pain. Like most defense mechanisms, it works to a degree.

I do believe that MLC occurs due to a multitude of triggers, childhood issues, hormonal changes, physical changes and fear of growing older, stress..things that are affecting our loved spouse ....and eventually comes to a head by them breaking away from us and our lives to find something that will decrease their pain.

Some MLCers have actually told the LBSer "I had to leave or I would die".

We see it in their actions, we see it in their empty eyes and in their destructive behavior. The suddenness of their departure, their total change in their moral values and lifestyle show us clearly that this is not a marriage or relationship problem.

What we had for the many years we were together was real. The examples that we see over and over are of good parents, good spouses and decades of strong and loving marriages.....this was real.

after all these years - still doesn't understand how he cut the ties, and with such aggressiveness and finality.  I have learned that not understanding is an actual answer.  After 9 years, it is my truth - I will never understand!

My head can understand whereas my heart will never understand. I often have said that if this had not happened in my life, I would find it fascinating to study the psychology of it.

Other who knew my husband well also see the difference in him. They too find it difficult to "understand" as does our daughter...which brings me back to my belief that this crisis is not about them trying to hurt us or purposely causing us harm.....we are the collateral damage in an immense crisis that they face, often one that doesn't end up well for them.

Perhaps because I don't typically use compartmentalization as a defense mechanism, the love I still have for my husband, the memories of who he was will always remain with me. Shining, I am 13 1/2 years post BD and I still think about him every day. Therapy helped me to heal and find myself and there are lots of good things in my life, but there is still sadness for the loss of this love we had, this life we shared,.

In my heart, he is and always will be my husband. Not an "ex husband" as many often refer to him as, but a husband who unfortunately suffered something, some trauma in his past that led to this.

I have often said that I see MLC as a "dis-ease" and that allows me to see him through a different lens. I am not alone in seeing him this way...as I said, others who also loved this man are as confused as I am as to why he has done what he did.

Living with the loss of our marriage, of the love we shared, of our family is huge. It was the life I always wanted and I had it for many years. I don't "understand" why he prefers the life he is living but I do accept this to be our lives....once joined together and taken for granted  that we would share our lives together for life, is not my reality anymore.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 06:55:17 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

9 years later....
#12: April 26, 2023, 09:15:46 AM
What you wrote xyzcf moved me very much. It reminded me of this song which even now can bring me to tears
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rtOvBOTyX00

I imagine I come across nowadays as rather meh here about my former husband....which is part but not the whole picture. I do not think of him as my husband any longer, unlike you....for me I think that word brings a kind of sense of partnership and We which no longer exists.

But I do think of him still as my Beloved. It was our affectionate name for each other and, perhaps strangely, although I am no longer his Beloved, he is still somehow mine quietly in my heart. I don’t often say that out loud bc it usually makes no sense to others. Tbh I don’t usually say it out loud to myself lol...but it is my unspoken truth. I’m not sure I always like that it is but on the flip side, if I can let myself say it sometimes it allows me to hold a lot of lovely memories which i’m not sure I would like to have erased along with our marriage. It allows me to feel gratitude for what I had, perhaps, rather than focusing on what was lost.

It is good to remember that different LBS find their own version of peace on the other side of this and that it is rarely a simple all or nothing, is it?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

S
9 years later....
#13: April 26, 2023, 10:01:50 AM
Trust and Love:  I knew exactly what you meant and I am very sorry to hear that you are feeling the same pain.

X and T:  My head understands all your words.  I lived it and I spent a lot of time for several years on the forum reading MLC stories.  My ex is a walking definition of it.  What is hard for me is that we have lived such different roads.  According to him, (he said it in a text after the function) he is in a fulfilling relationship and has created a family with the OW and her children.  For me, I spent the same years trying to breathe and get a life together.  I don't know what he thought the other day when he saw me, but I looked at him and saw my husband.  It seemed weird that he walked into the function with the OW.  It seemed wrong.  I still love him.  That said, it did make me realize, as I said before, he doesn't "appear" to be upset that he left me and doesn't "appear" to have any plans to come home.  I guess, at this point, he doesn't consider me home any more.  In my face reality because he is still home for me.  I feel as if I sound a bit pathetic after so many years.  I have built a full life and have lots of new friends.  I have a wonderful life with lots of love.  What I have been writing about is the fact that I had a secret desire for him to come home, and it kept me from forming a relationship with another.  I know that the dream is over and it is unlikely that he will turn around.  I have been very down the last few days because I know I have to put him in a compartment of my own.  I loved being married, and if I am to meet the right guy, I need to open my heart to another.  The idea is not as shocking as it was a few years ago.  Time does soften the bluntness of the pain.  X is right.  He needs to be my love - "quietly in my heart."
H:56, I am 54
BD: March 2014, Left Sept 2014, Back Nov 2014
Left again in February 2015.  Asked for D on 9/22/15
Said he was "sure" he wanted a D in Dec 2015; 
Admitted long term affair - May 14, 2017 - says he is in love with the "symptom" but wants to build a relationship with me with "clear expectations" WHATEVER THAT MEANS!  Settlement Agreement signed 9/20/17.
Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
9 years later....
#14: April 27, 2023, 09:19:02 AM
Hello,

My head understands all your words.

Yes, and even the most rational explanation still can't change your heart. Yes, you lived it and so did I. I maintain NC with my ex because I don't want to revisit the love and hope I had for her, for us. The other day, while we were waiting for our table for my birthday crunch, I received a call from my ex. Almost brought on an anxiety attack. Why is she calling? Did something happen to my daughter? How do I respond? Thankfully, it was my youngest wishing me a happy birthday and she had forgot her phone and her mom let her use her phone. Please send me a warning text in the future. The entire incident brought back a back a flood of memories and it still shows even with my rational brain, my heart can still throw everything out of whack. 

I looked at him and saw my husband.

I still see my ex. I still remember seeing her when she enrolled her nephew at my school over a year before we first dated and she took my breath away. That was just one passing moment and I still remember. So, I get where you are coming from.

I still love him.

Nothing wrong with that at all. You can't turn off an aspect of you that makes you special. Don't deny the essence of your core because of the actions of your husband.

I feel as if I sound a bit pathetic after so many years.

You are not pathetic. You are simply a very loving and kind person who has extraordinary attachment bonds. I would love to have you as a friend. You would be a friend for life.  Just remember, our greatest strengths can be our greatest weaknesses.

What I have been writing about is the fact that I had a secret desire for him to come home, and it kept me from forming a relationship with another.

I agree. Why are you denying someone else from benefiting from a wonderful relationship with you. I thought no one could replace my ex. My new wife is completely different. I love her with all my heart. My ex on the outside is all kindness, sweetness, and fluff. Her voice is so sweet and almost angelic. Inside is a much different person. Deceitful, conniving and in constant internal conflict. She deals with a lot of trauma that she has not truly confronted or ever even tried to resolve. Even my oldest daughter, who for years had no relationship with her mother, realized the same problems. She said, "I used to hate her, but now I feel sorry for her. She is just a really damaged person and hides it well." My new wife, she comes off as tough and rough, no nonsense personality, but inside she is a very kind and giving person. She truly gives her all for me and I appreciate all of her efforts.

You could be doing the same thing for someone else. Just like you, I love being married as well. Be open and not be afraid to give again. You can be a difference maker in someone else's life.

Have a fantastic day,

((((Ready))))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

z
9 years later....
#15: April 27, 2023, 11:31:16 AM
You can't turn off an aspect of you that makes you special. Don't deny the essence of your core because of the actions of your husband.
You are not pathetic. You are simply a very loving and kind person who has extraordinary attachment bonds. I would love to have you as a friend. You would be a friend for life.  Just remember, our greatest strengths can be our greatest weaknesses.

I teared up reading this. I recognize this wasn't for me but it hit me hard. Thank you for writing this.

Shining Star, I have no wise words for you. I can only say that I'm sorry. There's so much pain there and I can really feel it. It hurts.

S
9 years later....
#16: April 27, 2023, 01:06:42 PM
I don't know where to start.  I opened up my computer and saw the beautiful words and support and it brought tears to my eyes.  It reminded me of the beginning when I lived inside this forum.  I had no contact beginning in January 2018, when I told him not to call me again and he moved out of state.  He went five years without reaching out - FIVE years.  That is from a man who told me during our last phone call that he would never give up trying to be connected to me.... and poof, five years goes by.  Today is five days since I saw him.  My brain is settling down.  After searching my soul, I think I actually believed that he did not come home because of shame, and that he was in pain that I was not in his life.  That is how I coped.  Seeing him and her together, and the fact that he held her hand right in front of me - and, I will say it again - didn't say good bye at the end of the event - is fairly good evidence that he doesn't spend the day in the fetal position because of me.  It is shocking to me that these thoughts were locked in my brain for so long.  Now I have this new information and its a big reality check and I MUST move forward, but WOW it hurts.... it too shall pass.

Ready: it is nice to hear that you are re-married and happy.  Sorry about the phone call.  That sounds traumatic.  I appreciate the time you spent writing out a response to me.  It is very good advice.

Zar: I appreciate the kind words.

T: One of your posts mentions the concept of was the marriage really that good if he could leave the way he did.  That was a question I asked my H before the divorce.  I always felt so loved by him.  I couldn't understand what was happening.  His answer was that it was like a light switch - it just turned off one day and he didn't want to be married to me and wasn't attracted to me any longer.  Obviously, the concept of the OW confuses the issue a bit, but I do believe that it was all real until it wasn't.  I didn't live in a cloud thinking that he loved me - he did love me and he stopped.  I don't know if this helps, but it's logical to think that your H did have a deep love for you, and then came the light switch.

X:  I, too, am unable to call him anything other than my H.  Whatever happens in the future, he will always be my H - even if I find a new H.  My feelings are very similar to yours.  A lot of your words resonate with me.
H:56, I am 54
BD: March 2014, Left Sept 2014, Back Nov 2014
Left again in February 2015.  Asked for D on 9/22/15
Said he was "sure" he wanted a D in Dec 2015; 
Admitted long term affair - May 14, 2017 - says he is in love with the "symptom" but wants to build a relationship with me with "clear expectations" WHATEVER THAT MEANS!  Settlement Agreement signed 9/20/17.
Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

• Mentor
9 years later....
#17: April 27, 2023, 04:47:26 PM
We all come to this forum with different situations. Children, childless, long term marriages, shorter ones, our values and belief systems and how our nervous and psychological pathways respond to this trauma. Whether or not we have abandonment issues from our past, if we have financial security or not after BD, so many things that make us different.

Few of the original HS members that I knew from 2010 post anymore, some I am still in contact with..so there isn't much information of how this impacts our lives many years later.

There is a discussion on another thread concerning whether we are better or worse without our MLCer.....there is no right or wrong answer but I would suggest it depends upon the stage of life you are at, your financial stability, whether or not you have another significant partner in your life, if you managed to find a therapist to help you, if you have any family support, who your close friends are...many many factors once again.

I also do see, as was mentioned in that thread, that the singles groups I belong to are 90 % or more female. Men do seem to marry again..and once again many reasons for that.

His answer was that it was like a light switch - it just turned off one day and he didn't want to be married to me and wasn't attracted to me any longer.  Obviously, the concept of the OW confuses the issue a bit, but I do believe that it was all real until it wasn't.  I didn't live in a cloud thinking that he loved me - he did love me and he stopped.  I don't know if this helps, but it's logical to think that your H did have a deep love for you, and then came the light switch.

This is an excellent analogy and one that I have heard before....not just did that switch go off for us, but for many other people and activities that they enjoyed for years...a 180 degree change in their personality. We were once so close to them and now, it's really not possible to understand what is going on in their heads.

I think that being totally honest with how I feel means a great deal. I have accepted the reality of his leaving, and I think we move forward whether we want to or not.  In all honesty, I am lonely and that is a problem. I want to travel, I want to go to concerts or out to dinner and I find it difficult to find people to do these things with. When I was married, our interests were so much alike that the things that I would enjoy doing now, we both enjoyed...so there is an emptiness in my life without him...thus my belief that I am not better now then when he was in my life. Financially, I am much worse off then when I was married.

As Acorn often says, a sample of one.  I have seen that in situations where the MLCer does return home, that with work, a new relationship can be created...some have actually said that their marriage is better than before.

Regardless, some people seem able to close the door and not look back, while others still find that they miss deeply the intimacy of the marriage they once had.

T: One of your posts mentions the concept of was the marriage really that good if he could leave the way he did

I have heard this before. I think we do know when we had great marriages and that to deny that, or come up with reasons why maybe it was not as great as we remembered is rewriting history.

MLC is not a marriage problem..of that I am 100% convinced. I often see marriages that are quite dysfunctional and yet there is no breakup or separation, no infidelity or "monster".....yet somehow, in rather good marriages, it's totally blown apart...suddenly, without warning and without any effort to repair relationships that lasted decades.

So we are left confused and damaged and the loss and grief we feel is real, for those of us who feel this way.

After so many years, I do appreciate reading other's experiences.  Ready, your response to that phone call is a really good example of how even when we are doing very well in our lives, there are still triggers. The fact that we can recognize those triggers and "recover" from them is great....but I do wonder if those triggers will always be there and how draining they can be to us.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 04:53:18 PM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M
9 years later....
#18: April 27, 2023, 06:46:55 PM
SS- I don’t know how I would have handled that situation, because 2 1/2 years in I have never seen OW in person or them together in person. I think if I would it would still be a gut punch with a gasp for breath, even if in my mind. I haven’t seen my XH in a year and a half and we went 10 month with no contact due to OW.  I found out 10 month after BD that they married 9 months after he left and only 4 months after our divorce. So, I understand that feeling or hope you had. Surely he will wake up? This is all insane!!! I recently saw a picture of him and he lost a lot more weight and looked so sad, but I have no idea truly how he is. I know I am in a pretty good place, but not a day goes by that I don't think what the F happened To my life!! I think when you don’t get a mature and rationale explanation with empathy and respect there will be moments forever that trigger back to that loss of just knowing you would never do that to them and it’s hard to ever truly understand how someone gets to a place to do this to someone they loved, even if they don’t anymore.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• When the world sends you lemons - make lemonade!
9 years later....
#19: April 27, 2023, 09:58:19 PM
It’s so much easier not having to see them. 

My Ex married his 1st wife. They were married for a year or so when he was in his early 20s.  They now attempt to act like they are a “family” with my 3 kids.  It’s not very successful.

OW tries desperately to get my daughters to join her on an outing.  They have zero interest.  The two of them pretend like they’ve been together forever - and the 30+ years he was married to me never happened.

My son sums it up very succinctly.  He’s never met anyone more selfish and self centered in his life. 

Don’t take anything he says or does as a reflection of you.  It speaks volumes about him - truly nothing about you. 

Some people never get through their crisis.  It just becomes a way of life.  At least, that’s what happened to my Ex. 

Hang in there,

L
M -62,  ExH - 69 (56 at BD)
M - 33 years (do the last 3 years count?)
D - 33, D -29, S - 29
BD 5/29/2010, Ran away from home - 8/15/2010,
Found out about affair - 2/11
H asks for divorce - 8/11
H filed for divorce 10/11
Announced "new" girlfriend 12/12 (3rd OW)
Divorce final 06/13 (I decided to finish it)
Dumped OW#3 9/15 (After 4 years)
Married OW#1 2019
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions For Newbies
The Mentor Program
Report Technical Problems

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.