Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Not new, but still learning about this!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
My Story Not new, but still learning about this!
#30: September 25, 2023, 02:43:45 AM
So the summer holidays came and went. We took a big family holiday with lots of friends, which W and I  split, her the first week, me the second. I had such a great time with the kids. W was upset initially about splitting the holiday, and has very slightly monstered about it since, but this was like a sort of cuddly Jim Henson monster compared to a full on horror film one.

What did she want instead - that you take the whole vacation? That she takes the whole vacation? That you both have the whole vacation?

That is kind of what happens when you separate and decide to leave your family - the family time gets split between parents... It is called "consequences" and we all are well aware of just how much a Mid-Lifer LOVES consequences that don't fall into line with the way they think it should be....   ::)
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

B
Not new, but still learning about this!
#31: September 25, 2023, 01:30:30 PM
lol Ursa, Consequences eh - how inconvenient?

Yeah, she wanted the whole vacation... no matter that then I wouldn't get a holiday with my kids for the second year running. She saw sense in the end but wasn't that happy about it. I've not heard any complaints about it for a couple of weeks but it will be stored in the bank to refer to later no doubt!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#32: September 26, 2023, 12:30:49 AM
lol Ursa, Consequences eh - how inconvenient?

Yeah, she wanted the whole vacation... no matter that then I wouldn't get a holiday with my kids for the second year running. She saw sense in the end but wasn't that happy about it. I've not heard any complaints about it for a couple of weeks but it will be stored in the bank to refer to later no doubt!

I got that this Easter too... Last Easter, MLCxW took the kids for the entire 3 weeks and went to the Maldives with them... This year, I took them to the US to visit their grandparents (my parents), my cousin and their Stepsister (my D33) and MLCxW complained that I took them the entire holiday... uhmmmmm .....

So, it was OK for her to have them for the 3 weeks but not OK for me? I just mentioned that was the same as the previous year with the Maldives and that was the end of the whine-fest....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

B
#33: October 06, 2023, 05:58:39 PM
Minor Journaling,

Just back from a great trip which I undertook as a solo mission but met many old friends on, and made a whole load of new friends too. It was like the ultimate GAL getaway! Great fun, good food and amazing music in the most incredible location.  It's strange, for the first time I thought, well it would be nice if W was here because she'd love it but....I'll just love it on my own! Strange feeling, but kind of liberating I suppose.

This weekend I was due to take D to an event on Saturday, whilst S did some school work and then met his GF. A couple of days ago W texted and said that she'd like to join D and me at the event if I was OK with it... of course I am, the more the merrier! Be nice to do something together!  Today a friend who I was hanging out with whilst on the GAL getaway texts and says she has covid. I did a test and - poooo, so do I.  I let W know, and straight away she's offering to help out with the kids and making arrangements to keep them busy for the weekend so I can recover. She also offered to go shopping and get whatever I needed for the next few days.
Amazing stuff, we're into month 5 or so of fairly consistent and brilliant parenting and support from W. It feels less like a touch and go but more like a touch and make no meaningful comment.... Things are definitely changing in W.... but we're only 20 or so months past BD, so not sure if its gonna stick! Let's see.

One advantage with living apart (maybe the only one thus far) - it's a hell of a lot easier when one of us has Covid!

M
#34: October 06, 2023, 08:56:07 PM
Good update except the covid part!
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

H
#35: October 07, 2023, 05:31:21 AM
Hi Biscuit,

I am a little over 3 years since BD and my XW started being more helpful too around 2 years.  It has for the most part made things more peaceful which is good. She still is in replay and occasionally cycles into craziness with her actions.  I’ll take mostly peace with the occasional reminder that she is still lost.

You are doing really well and hope recovery from COVID is going well.

HF
W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Left Home - January 2021
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

B
#36: October 08, 2023, 04:59:30 PM
Thanks HF,

Not sure where W is in her journey, I’m told it’s wise to take your attention off of that…. The last round of replay behaviour has stopped, but I know that doesn’t mean that another delivery might be right around the corner!
W turned up today with what might be called a care package in the US, but here in Britain we’d probably say a weekly shop! Full of all my favourite healthy foods and a few not so healthy snacks. Anyway, very considerate, and I thanked her for her kindness…. Had loads of nice stuff to eat whilst I watched the footie this afternoon. Yum.

Hopefully I’ll test negative in the next couple of days so I can see the kids.
W leaves next Monday for a trip for a couple of weeks to see family who are a long way away, so I’ll get a fortnight with the kids then.

Onwards and upwards…. it’s not been this positive in a long time.

K
#37: October 09, 2023, 02:03:53 AM
Guard your heart Dear Biscuit, this condition, it comes in cylces. And get well soon!

B
#38: November 07, 2023, 10:51:23 AM
Minor journalling -

I've been feeling a little low in the last few weeks - I think my W's touch and go / reconnection made me want more from her and quickly, but that's not how this thing works, and I should know that by now! So I was expecting too much I think.
What I have seen from W in the last month is a continuing reconnection, she is offering acts of service and generally continuing the kindness which started back in June. She went away for a couple of weeks and stayed in contact - although much less than when she is here - which is understandable. Since she's been back communication has been good. We enjoyed a night out last night as a family for the first time in ages, it really was lovely and saw much of the old W in the way she acted around all of us. We have another family night out planned on Saturday which I'm looking forward to.
She's taken to wearing her eternity ring again - although not on her wedding finger as before - but it's nice to see her wearing it. What it means - nothing or something - who knows?
I remember reading here before of a couple of situations when W's and H's attempt a reconnection phase before dropping out of replay and into depression. Does anyone else have experience of this?

For now I'm enjoying the time we spend together as a family and I'm keeping communication light and friendly and free of any R talk. I'm not seeing monster, it's all a lot easier than this time last year when I was a total mess.

F
  • Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves
#39: November 08, 2023, 12:32:23 AM
Hi Biscuit,

I am so happy for you that you see good progress in reconnection from your W, and that you keep enough lucidity to acknowledge you own inner status and change it.
Reconnection time is not a bed of roses, good for you that you enjoy the good moments together in family !
M 44, W43. Married 18 years, together 21
3 children D17, D15, S6
OM discovered Dec 22, BD Jan 23 (few days after)
W still living at home
Aimer, c'est donner sans attendre de retour et tout acte est prière, s'il est don de soi (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)
Love means to give without expecting return, and every act is a prayer if it is a self-gift. (thanks OffRoad !)

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.