Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Not new, but still learning about this!

B
My Story Not new, but still learning about this!
#70: January 09, 2024, 07:57:23 AM
And one of my W's best friends has recently told me how W has told her she is racked with guilt

W

WHY

Not new, but still learning about this!
#71: January 09, 2024, 08:45:35 AM
Why,

Shocks sis described having guilt with her throughout her whole MLC but running from it as far as she could.

I know that after the fact the MLCer says they felt very guilty throughout.  I get this.  But that's after that fact, looking back.  Like saying I was a rebellious teenager and I made mistakes as a kid, vs that kid in the moment saying they feel truly guilty and understand what they did. 

Just because you feel guilt a few years later, does not mean you experienced guilt back then.   

There's hardly any guilt.  I feel guilty that I hurt this person, so Im going to hurt them again and again???  Im just not buying it.  If anything they feel justified in their actions.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 09:10:52 AM by WHY »

z
#72: January 09, 2024, 09:45:04 AM
I believe there are a number of named emotions that all exist within a tightly overlapping space. I'm thinking of guilt, remorse, and regret, at least. I won't attempt to define them but I can imagine someone actively experiencing "guilt" even as they behave in ways that would add to it. Once they have obtained a certain level of emotional maturity their "guilt" might transmute into something more productive which may result in contrition and atonement, or even just ensuring they don't end up in similar situations again.

Maybe the MLC'er does not experience guilt, maybe they do but are unable to recognize it, maybe they do but don't want to and suppress it, maybe something completely different. I don't know. Regardless of the particulars, the external behavior is just as off-putting.

• Mentor
#73: January 09, 2024, 10:05:01 AM
I believe that while in crisis, the MLCer compartmentalizes anything that doesn't work for their present life. They believe that they are on the right path to "happiness" and "freedom" and don't experience what a normal person would if they hurt someone they loved, not "feeling" much of anything = Anhedonia: refers to the reduced ability to experience pleasure, and has been studied in different neuropsychiatrie disorders.

"Although it is difficult to disentangle the specific role of anhedonia in major depressive disorder, imaging studies have clearly shown that the severity of anhedonia is correlated, in depressed patients, with a deficit of activity of the ventral striatum (reflecting decreased function of the nucleus accumbens, probably as a primary event) and an excess of activity of ventral region of the prefrontal cortex (concerning an increased function of the VMPFC and the orbitofrontal cortex, probably as a secondary phenomenon)."

If this is of interest, there is more indepth at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181880/.

There is something "wrong" with the MLCer's capacity to "feel" anything and the causation has been debated many times...without any clear answer to why. Mermaid did great research into this several years ago on HS.

Like saying I was a rebellious teenager and I made mistakes as a kid, vs that kid in the moment saying they feel truly guilty and understand what they did.
Teenagers do not admit to "wrong doing". What changes a child from a sweet enjoyable boy or girl to a teen that seems to have no boundaries or concern about their families...and then back again as they reach young adulthood and leave much of their risk taking behaviour behind them, is part of their developmental stage of life as per Erik Erickson "Identity vs Confusion."

Not all do and some continue with substance abuse, sexual promiscuity, high risk taking behaviours etc . into adulthood.

We do not know what is going on in the MLCer's head. It is interesting when MLCers come back and give us some insight into their personal journey as well as LBS posters who continue to have a relationship years later with their spouse...the observations are all subjective and as Acorn has coined the phrase "a sample of one" should always be kept in mind.

My question, for I am curious is: what does it matter if they feel guilt or not? Doesn't change much for the LBSer.

I also suggest reflecting on Why's comment and perhaps looking at it differently:

I feel guilty that I hurt this person, so Im going to hurt them again and again???  Im just not buying it. 

So can we detach enough so that their actions don't hurt us? Do we allow ourselves to be hurt by "expecting" that they are going to act in a normal human way...or like the person they once were? For they are not that person anymore.

A technique my therapist taught me was to freeze frame the situation that is causing me distress. Make it smaller, make it less bright, dim the lights, decrease the volume until it becomes something I can manage without being set off kilter. It helped me a lot when I was unable to comprehend...why the heck is he doing what he is doing?

And of course MLC 101...this is not about us and not about our marriage.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 11:52:06 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M
#74: January 09, 2024, 10:23:59 AM
I believe that while in crisis, the MLCer compartmentalizes anything that doesn't work for their present life. They believe that they are on the right path to "happiness" and "freedom" and don't experience what a normal person would if they hurt someone they loved, not "feeling" much of anything = Anhedonia: refers to the reduced ability to experience pleasure, and has been studied in different neuropsychiatrie disorders

I agree. I do think some depending on how long they have been in the MLC and what type they are clinging vs vanisher shows just how much they are avoiding. My XH was a clinging boomerang as long as I contacted him, but vanishes if I don’t. The last convo we had 8 mths ago when I said I could not be in contact with him anymore he said, I’m sorry. I don’t know what happened to me.  I believe that ! I also know in 2018 when I said he had to open up, get some help or leave, he said, I can’t talk about it!!  I do think  for some their pain is just to immense to address, but I do think at least in my XH case that he knows something is terrible wrong. And a fresh face and family allows him to be who he chooses to be now where thats how they know him, because those from the past can see he isn’t him self
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

B
#75: January 10, 2024, 08:22:04 AM
Wow.....

I got an apology from my MLCer today - I'm really sorry to have caused you so much upset.

It felt sincere, let's see what happens in the coming months - it's definitely felt like she was trying very hard to make up for the past recently but this is the first time it has been vocalised.

W

WHY

#76: January 10, 2024, 10:08:06 AM
Wow.....

I got an apology from my MLCer today - I'm really sorry to have caused you so much upset.

It felt sincere, let's see what happens in the coming months - it's definitely felt like she was trying very hard to make up for the past recently but this is the first time it has been vocalised.

That's quite the change.  BUT, remember, you're a pro LBS at this point.  You need to see signs of consistent behavior over a long period of time before making any conclusions.  They will continue to run back into the tunnel and go through all the stages again...  So brace yourself.  I think it took Shocksis another 18 months?

But hey, it's something, if not for your own internal closure/peace.  Keep doing what you're doing Biscuit. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 11:26:05 AM by WHY »

B
#77: January 10, 2024, 10:23:10 AM
You're correct Why - draw zero conclusions - but it was very refreshing and felt heartfelt on her part....

But yeah we all know - rinse and repeat!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 10:24:51 AM by Biscuit »

H
#78: January 11, 2024, 12:50:58 PM
Is it about two years Biscuit?

How does it feel? Better or worse.

B
#79: January 11, 2024, 04:09:17 PM
help,

It's 2 years next month. The general trajectory for me has been upwards. The first year was really really tough, but I could see I was making progress even when I was at my lowest ebb.
In the last year it has got a lot easier. I've progressed hugely with my personal growth and healing in this time. But, it's really only possible to see how much in hindsight, as the steps are generally small ones when you're taking them. A bit like trudging through sticky mud for a year - without once looking back. It feels like a right slog, but then when you turn back and look where you were - you've actually walked many many miles.
I'm not sure I would have ever voluntarily stopped drinking and partying whilst I was living with W - so it's good that I've taken a good long hard look at myself and got myself in check.

Do I wish it hadn't happened - yes, definitely.
Am I making the most of what I've currently got - without doubt!

Thanks, B x

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.