Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go

a
  • Trial Subscriber
Ok so Treasur it wasn’t 3 days, he replied immediately.

“Biggest mistake, love you, miss you pls give me another chance etc. I want to try to fix this with you I’m so sorry, I will do anything” I won’t bore you with my replies but they were along the lines of words are cheap.

Here’s my question: if he wants to come back here to rebuild things or try to, I’m not going to say “well, you are set to be in replay for another year at least so let’s not even try”  i mean…?

I have to try. I just do. For my kids sake if nothing else. A dual country divorce is a nightmare for them. I have to let him try. I don’t know what is fixable or what isn’t and I strongly doubt that he will be willing to do the work required but I want to try, I think, I am going to encourage him not to come for a few weeks bc I want time to clear my head. He will be with his sisters and parents during this time just for clarity.

I have started to think about what I need from him to even attempt this and he won’t like it but if it’s a bare minimum for me (he gets medical help or advice of some kind for his depression, he gets a job that keeps him busy, he stops running away to other countries from our family all the time and settles back into our lives, he doesn’t lie to me ever again, etc)  if he balks I will know we can’t hold it together. I will also see about a “post nuptial agreement “ so if we do separate we have already organized finances and custody agreements.

The thing is guys, it looks like car is coming back to the driveway. But the car is totaled!!!!

Ha ha I claim my prize!

But more seriously, I understand that you feel you have to try. We all do. We all did in our own ways. Particularly bc you have kids, but not just bc of that. We get it. It might work, it might not…but you feel you have to try. It may even be the case that if it doesn’t prove do-able, you will feel more at peace knowing you tried.

What’s interesting - from reading story after story here - is how similar some of our default LBS responses can be. What’s good about that imho is it allows those newer LBS to consider different options in how they respond to similar situations. So, MLCer does ‘oh, terrible mistake, I want to come back’ and LBS jumps pretty quickly into mentally planning how that might work and what everyone involved needs to do differently. And off we go to the races…..

Sadly what seems to often happen then is the MLCer finds the to do list a bit too difficult, or keeps one foot in ow land, or really wants a fatted calf with no awkward discussions….simmers resentfully for a bit, BDs again and off they go. Bc, as you say, they are still in MLC with all of the not very adult entitlement and BS and avoidance that goes with that. It becomes a sort of ‘horse to water’ thing for the LBS, I think. And of course it makes it much harder to be detached or keep your focus on your wellbeing bc you are invested in an outcome.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, or doomed to fail, but I am saying that it is probably not easy. And that, logically, one can see how it would encourage the old patterns of the relationship to re-emerge when perhaps they are not as appropriate in this new situation. Which is why imho, and reading those who have reconnected and even the few who have reconciled like Acorn, it seems to need the LBS to intentionally not go into their default. Which for most of us is a kind of earnest fixing, I think  :)

If one takes a step back, the MLCer - whether they think it was a mistake or not now - broke things. A lot of things. Some of them pretty big and important. Neither they nor we can change that, no matter how much we wish we could.

Why therefore would it not make sense that the person who broke it carries the primary responsibility for offering up a specific plan of action to fix it? If only bc, as we all know in normal life, people tend to be more committed to their own action plan than someone’s else’s plan. But of course if someone else jumps in with a plan first - and we know that MLCers even ore MLC tend to be a bit avoidant - how will we ever know what their plan was? And of course, in a resentful head that finds the work of change a bit damned hard lol, it then runs the risk of being the LBS plan really, doesn’t it? Cue strains of the ‘you’re not the boss of me’ and ‘the problem is not what I did, it’s your unforgiving reaction to what I did’ songs :)

Why not slow your planning roll and simply ask your h what his plan is?
What does he intend to do to try to fix what he broke?
What is he offering? And what does he want from you?
Then wait, see what he says and see what you think about his plan.
Take the time and space you need.

Above all, slow your roll enough to not do the adulting for him….let him figure it out bc that’s how grown ups learn and change, isn’t it? Plus there is a subtle but important power dynamic at play that, if this is not normally your default, sends a clear boundary signal that we are not in the old Kansas anymore. And allows you to judge where your h is starting from as opposed to vice versa. No different really from basic negotiation skills….the person who speaks first shows their hand, the mental field they are playing on. There is a lot of useful information in seeing where someone is starting from.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that some of your needs/plan are illegitimate or a bad idea. I can see sense to things like a post nup or a different job etc etc. and of course you need to protect yourself. I just wonder if, whether we like it or not, it’s a bit 0-60. Bc your instinct, and stories here, would suggest they come back broken not fixed, a work in slow progress at best bringing all of the MLC residue with them. Plus of course the additional damage created by their actions.

Is it worth considering quietly for yourself a very, very bare minimum….the marital equivalent of training wheels on a bike…..the price of a ticket to try perhaps? Some smaller first step goals rather than the big all is magically fixed ones? And along with that, being as honest with yourself as you can about how you will manage your own understandable but messy emotions and needs in trying to repair a marriage with a husband who has lied, devalued and been unfaithful to you? Or how you will manage potentially a live in MLC rollercoaster sucking up all the emotional attention in the room with all the stress and uncertainty that brings?  Bc sadly that is as real as your need to try to repair things, isn’t it?

The two stories that are popping up in my mind are Finding Joy and Acorn. One had a h who returned and younger children. One I think had a husband who didn’t physically leave with older children. Both had ow or owomen and all the normal MLC drama and blameshifting. You might find it useful to read their threads.

I think what strikes me most about what I remember inntheir stories is that they both seemed to find a way to stay detached to some degree, both seemed to need even more solid boundaries in order to reconnect and both had reached a point where they were a bit emotionally detached from a given outcome….and that is was not an easy or quick process. So, thank God for those who have come before us and been generous enough to share their experiences, right? I’m sure they’d be fine if you PM’d them too, a,though neither has posted for a little while, hopefully bc they are busy getting on with normal life. And hopefully some others will swing by your thread and share their wisdom too.

So, my big take fwiw is to let the dog see the rabbit.
Ask your h what his plan is and see what he says.
Slow your default planning roll. And use that time to think quietly about your bare minimum entry ticket price for a spouse who is most likely still in MLC with all that brings. And how you can continue to build a healthy detachment from his rollercoaster if he brings it home with him.

We are all cheering you on regardless. And we all absolutely understand that you feel you need to try x
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 12:48:11 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

W

WHY

He won’t balk.  He’s gonna promise the world then do a 180 when he feels secure again.  I’m with you.  For the kids.  One has to try.  And I think the postnup is a fantastic idea.  You can maybe make his return conditional on signing it.  But once he’s home.  All leverage will disappear.  So I think you’re doing the right thing. 

I’m really sorry you’re going through this.  You should watch RCRs vids on her H and the cake eating.  She has some genius insights on how to survive this. 

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
My 2 Europennies for what it is worth -

1) Treasur has it right - MLCH broke it. How does MLCH propose to fix it. As long s YOU are setting out the way forward, he doesn't have to do the work and, if things all go pear-shaped, he can still blame you because "you set the plan and were SO controlling"<insert eyeroll here>.
2) From him

Actions speak louder than words.... CONSISTENT actions, not a one-off.....

Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for a "touch-and-go" aka wash-rinse-spin-repeat
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

And a PS….its ok to not know what to do and to say you don’t know out loud.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

T
amazing love, I remember writing a letter like that; as treasur says, it didn't really have much effect on my MLCer, but it did have a good effect on me -- it was my truth.  And I think that counts for a lot.

I, too, completely understand the need to try, I did as well, for a long time.  And I also agree with asking him what his plan for that is. 

"Trying" in my book doesn't mean that it's on you to fix it, I think it means being clear on what is important to you and where your boundaries are.  So IMO writing such a letter helps you clarify your own thoughts. 

I absolutely definitely feel more at peace knowing I did everything in my power, I can look my children in the eye and say that, they know that, and it has strengthened us as a family (my children and me). 

a
  • Trial Subscriber
Have I told you lately that I love you? meaning this brilliant collective. THANK YOU for all the wisdom. I read them again and again.

Quick q - actually 2 of them.

H is back with his family. He did not contact me at all today and I did not contact him.We spoke ydy. Today I wanted to, and I thought about it, now that he's not with the AP i want to talk to him, be reassured I guess, but thinking I should play a more passive role in the comms right now, correct? He told me he is spending the weekend at his sister's and he will likely call tomo with her and on cam to see kids again. I have a lot of questions for him (including is his coming back as planned early April or before?) but I feel like I need to let him lead on when that goes down. And keep a light touch. We don't need to speak every single day straight away. We have not been doing that for months. Right? I mean, mirroring and not taking charge is likely the way forward.

Secondly, for those of you that dealt with a 'touch and go' which is what this v well may be,  If he was NOT with his OW when he came back did you welcome him back with affection/you know what I'm talking about here etc? I want to try again with him and rebuild but I don't want my heart to get crushed in the process.

If he runs away again, ie says he can't live here with us and needs to go away for a few weeks to see his parents again (and flee responsibility etc) and he is not with the AP (it would be hard to see her now without anyone noticing bc she lives in a diff country and we call with cameras on) do they ever just escape and avoid without cheating on you? I am trying to prepare myself that he will come and then he will try hard, and then start to pull away after a few weeks, and then eventually tell me i can't do this and tell me he has to leave /escape the drudgery of our lives again. And it will hurt like a biyatch. This idea of back and forth is horrendous, but I am keenly aware that his 'crisis' ls pretty much for sure, not over.

a
  • Trial Subscriber
ps did any of you ever think to yourselves that this was all a nightmare/bad dream and then you're like oh wait, it's real.

and secondly treasur - thanks for this "I think what strikes me most about what I remember inntheir stories is that they both seemed to find a way to stay detached to some degree, both seemed to need even more solid boundaries in order to reconnect and both had reached a point where they were a bit emotionally detached from a given outcome….and that is was not an easy or quick process."

I was more detached but now have hope and that is scaring me tbh. bc it is not welcome.

K

Secondly, for those of you that dealt with a 'touch and go' which is what this v well may be,  If he was NOT with his OW when he came back did you welcome him back with affection/you know what I'm talking about here etc? I want to try again with him and rebuild but I don't want my heart to get crushed in the process.

I think, if we are using this term 'touch and go' it implies a kind of physical action. A person comes in close to another, there is a 'touch' - I read a kind of intimacy in this, a suggestion of reconnection. The Go - the action away again. Currently you are dealing with just his words. I know it's hard - because you have a long history of taking your spouses at their word. But It won't apply here. Sorry. My sense of your H is that he is still in the manic flailing around phase. Others, on the forum who have the wisdom drawn from years of observing these patterns will likely contribute, but I wouldn't imagine him in the T & G phase, because he really is just running on pure emotion. JMO. I had a big T & G (not to be confused with a G & T which I've also had a more than one of since BD :) ) after the one year mark. And boy, the go was a biggy. It literally re-traumatized me. So, for all of us, first and foremost we have to guard our hearts. The repeated pain in the first 14 or so months was engaging with my H like I used to - having the same expectations drawn from over two decades of a trusting relationship. When this gets upended again and again and again, there's a point where you really do have to create strong boundaries and stick to them, while repeating the mantra 'no expectations'.

If he runs away again, ie says he can't live here with us and needs to go away for a few weeks to see his parents again (and flee responsibility etc) and he is not with the AP (it would be hard to see her now without anyone noticing bc she lives in a diff country and we call with cameras on) do they ever just escape and avoid without cheating on you? I am trying to prepare myself that he will come and then he will try hard, and then start to pull away after a few weeks, and then eventually tell me i can't do this and tell me he has to leave /escape the drudgery of our lives again. And it will hurt like a biyatch. This idea of back and forth is horrendous, but I am keenly aware that his 'crisis' ls pretty much for sure, not over.

Reading this, it's obvious you know that he is not ready or able to commit back to your family life. And it's much less about the current OW (other OW's are always available - other avoidance tactics are also available) it's about his compulsion to run. He is currently searching for something he cannot find within himself. So, it's not a platitude, she is a symptom.  When this happened to me, I spent a very long time seeing it through the lens of my own pain and the rupturing of the marriage and I was looking at my H's actions in relation to both these things. But he is looking at things through the lens of depression (a glass darkly). If I can at least understand this, if not the destructive and hurtful behaviours, I can at least save myself constant disappointment and dashed hopes. Sadly, your H is the 'totaled car', he's not drivable at the moment. It's so hard to accept all this, and yes, it does sometimes feel like a nightmare.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 02:52:55 AM by KayDee »

• Mentor
It really is a nighmare isn't it. trying to second guess what they will do and how we will respond.

Regarding the phone contact, I had insisted he call me everyday as he was in another country, and I lived for those calls...but they were never very satisfactory, nor were his visits because I couldn't say what I wanted to say to him for fear of driving him further away.

I know now, that anything I woukld have said would have the same result...nothing.

Secondly, for those of you that dealt with a 'touch and go' which is what this v well may be,  If he was NOT with his OW when he came back did you welcome him back with affection/you know what I'm talking about here etc?

If you choose to be intimate with him, please protect yourself from any STD's he may have picked up. It's mind boggling to think about this but there are LBSers here who have been infected because heck we just cannot believe that they would have sex with someone else and become infected and then pass it on to us. Reality check..it happens.

I am trying to prepare myself that he will come and then he will try hard, and then start to pull away after a few weeks, and then eventually tell me i can't do this and tell me he has to leave /escape the drudgery of our lives again. And it will hurt like a biyatch. This idea of back and forth is horrendous, but I am keenly aware that his 'crisis' ls pretty much for sure, not over.

Most likely he will come and go but there are some rare cases where they do return and even though still in crisis, they stay at home as they continue through their journey. You are wise to realize this. And it does hurt.....this whole experience hurts...how can it not?

It's a crazy way to live, crazy that somehow we cannot work together to resolve this..but as we say over and over, this is not about us or our marriage. Hard to believe but it's true.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.