Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Help Please 5

H
My Story Help Please 5
#50: January 20, 2024, 12:53:43 PM
Thanks Xy,

It is just hard. You can’t change someone’s view of you. You can’t make them remember the good when their brain desperately only wants to remember the bad to justify running.

20 months. 3 mistakes when I was stressed and swore at her. That is all that is remembered. Acres of space but no space. It really is a situation where there is absolutely nothing you can do.

But yet I love her. How I wish I did not.

H
Help Please 5
#51: January 25, 2024, 08:15:01 PM
Evermore may be right.

Someone saw her out drinking with a bloke. I have not snooped but it fits.

I am pleased I have not gone pain shopping although it was tempting.

I
Help Please 5
#52: January 25, 2024, 11:10:13 PM

You know you really love someone when you can’t hate them for breaking your heart.

^^^This popped up on my social media feed this evening. So true!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Help Please 5
#53: January 26, 2024, 12:21:57 AM

You know you really love someone when you can’t hate them for breaking your heart.

^^^This popped up on my social media feed this evening. So true!

The opposite of love is NOT hate.... the opposite of love is total indifference....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

F
  • Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves
Help Please 5
#54: January 26, 2024, 01:15:37 AM
Quote from: UrsaMajor

The opposite of love is NOT hate.... the opposite of love is total indifference....

Totally agree with that statement. And I will add that detachment is not indifference. I will not speak about W but about my children, especially the oldest ones D16 (soon D17) and D14 (soon D15). I love them, I care for them, I support them. I try to be a "good enough father" (reference to Winnicott).
Thanks to W's MLC, I have worked on myself and detached also from my daughters. When they are in teenage crisis (light monstering), I keep my balance and
I continue to answer with calm and assertivity. I see they are down sometimes and they want time and space (in their room, no greetings) -> I give them time and space and I do my activities. When they are up and we spend time together, we can have very good moments.
Before BD I was more affected when they monstered, and I over reacted. I could not face D16 and D14 when they were together united against me (other parents may understand what I mean  :D). Now I can handle very well this kind of situation.

I know they will leave our home, D16 will do that in September and it is very fine for me. The more and more they take their own decisions : D16 could participate to African championships next month in her sport and could be qualified to the Olympic Games ; on the other hand she is preparing the high school final exam and very selective examination for a famous university and she is training very hard in her sport and doing regional competitions and stages. I let her decide alone, told her that I will support her choice whatever it is. And she chose not to participate to the African Championship (wise decision from my POV). I want them to be responsible with their choices, they are becoming adults.

I feel detached, proud and loving. Not indifferent.
M 44, W43. Married 18 years, together 21
3 children D17, D15, S6
OM discovered Dec 22, BD Jan 23 (few days after)
W still living at home
Aimer, c'est donner sans attendre de retour et tout acte est prière, s'il est don de soi (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)
Love means to give without expecting return, and every act is a prayer if it is a self-gift. (thanks OffRoad !)

H
Help Please 5
#55: January 26, 2024, 01:30:51 AM
Yes French, calm is what I have learned. I used to be very tense and anxious.

I like the better me.

E
Help Please 5
#56: January 26, 2024, 05:25:14 PM
Evermore may be right.

Someone saw her out drinking with a bloke. I have not snooped but it fits.

I am pleased I have not gone pain shopping although it was tempting.

I’m really sorry Help if it is the case that there is an OM. It does fit though and explains a lot of her irrational behaviour. Well… it doesn’t explain explain it, because it’s still a crazy thing to blame someone else when you are the one f’ing up. But it is often what people having affairs do. 
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

Help Please 5
#57: January 26, 2024, 11:26:36 PM
Hi helpnewc,

The beginning of change is always hard, but life will get easier and better.

Some wise person taught me what you have is present moment, you can use it to shape a better tomorrow. It is all about daily small changes, adding them one after another.  It is a slow and long process, but you are doing good.

Keep going.

Human heart is funny in a way, that it fits so many things. You can love/hate a person without reciprocation. And you can love/hate many at same time. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it heals.

I would be far more worried if you did not feel love, but hate or even indifference. Don't run away the feeling, just let it find it's own way to become part of future you.

Alvin.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:41:33 PM by AlvinTheMaker »
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

H
Help Please 5
#58: January 28, 2024, 04:14:20 PM
I confronted her about the OM. To her credit she admitted she is spending time with “someone” and he is a good man and a devoted father.

I explained this was one of my boundaries and how hurt I was that I found out through local gossip. She said everyone knows we are separated and she had done nothing wrong. I said she agreed to tell me.

She has agreed to move to her parents on Saturday. I have gone to an Airbnb for a week as I just cannot be in the house with her knowing I was caring for our kids when she was dating someone.

I am deeply hurt that her parents knew and did not tell me. But I do get they have to support her.

It is so hard that some random gets a go but i don’t. Nothing I can do.

I do regret staying as long as I have but I hope this is a path to healing.

R
Help Please 5
#59: January 28, 2024, 11:29:06 PM
Helpnewc,

This is one of the hardest parts of what the LBS faces. Knowing that is a possibility is one thing, but knowing that it is actually happening is another thing.

As far as the OM being a good man and devoted father, please remember that a good man and devoted father doesn't have a relationship with a woman who is married. Also know that this was likely going on for awhile. She will try and portray it as more recent.

Nothing we can say can take away your pain, unfortunately. Try and find things that give your mind a momentary break and do more of those.

Just know that you are not alone in feeling this crushing pain and that you will survive.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:30:09 PM by Reinventing »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.