Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion The end of MLC. How do YOU define it?

A
Discussion The end of MLC. How do YOU define it?
OP: February 21, 2020, 08:26:47 AM
What do you think are the characteristics of a person who has finished his MLC journey? 

Spiritual life, attitudes, actions, relationships, life philosophies, etc. Add whatever areas you think are relevant in your posts.

Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

m
  • "You must do the thing you think you can not do."
Re: The end of MLC. How do YOU define it?
#1: February 21, 2020, 08:52:34 AM
Calm.  Mellow.  Regretful. 

#2: February 21, 2020, 09:37:06 AM
At peace.. total, real, peace.

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

#3: February 21, 2020, 09:46:36 AM
Responsible/accountable for their action and pain:destruction they caused, greater self-awareness, honest, able to apologize in word and deed, Return to recognition of values, integrity, respect, mature, Peter Pan behaviors gone
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

#4: February 21, 2020, 10:17:38 AM
Probably not unlike a recovered LBS?
Humility, gratitude, a bit of residual pop-up pain and the odd moment of disbelief at what happened to their life?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

m
#5: February 21, 2020, 11:36:25 AM
Emotional coherence, comfort with reality, full empathy for others, not reliant on anyone else for wellness and happiness, choosing people they want to have relationships with rather than needing to or compelled to.

And truly and calmly happy.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

b
  • Mentor
#6: February 21, 2020, 11:49:35 AM
And I will be the "odd-lady out". I cannot name what would be the ending states of mind or emotions really.  Of course what you have all listed would be positive and welcomed , but what I see ( in my case only) is that there will not really be an "ending". That sounds scary .  It will be a never ending state of change , maturing, thinking differently, evolving emotionally , examining self, awareness ...and oh so much more. The only thing I see as an ending to MLC is that there is no more running. That there is a willingness to stop, stand still ...look in the inner mirror and changing those things. If a man stops running from himself, stop blaming externally and be willing to face who he actually is ...that , to me , represents the end of the actual crisis. There are still years of work to clean-up or "do" to become your true self. 
Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

M
#7: February 21, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
What I'm finding is that I've gone back to wanting a lot of the same things I wanted before. I feel more like myself now instead of feeling like I'm somebody else. Also, now I have a better understanding and acceptance of all of my parts which makes it possible for me to be better at meeting my own needs instead of needing somebody else to meet those needs for me. I also feel more settled now and I've put my fear of death behind me. I think the empty spot inside me may be gone now. But I'm not sure that I'm completely finished so there could be more changes to come.

And I really miss my wife. :'(

• Mentor
#8: February 21, 2020, 01:23:04 PM
Barbie, I pretty much agree with all you said.

Especially this:  There are still years of work to clean-up or "do" to become your true self.

A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

#9: February 21, 2020, 01:36:38 PM
There is so much resonance in barbie’s assessment - at least as it pertains to my dad’s MLC - it was a full 8 years, more like 8.5-9 of running behaviors, followed by another eight years of assessing, integrating, acknowledging his faults, etc - he still struggled with selfishness throughout his life, but he became calm, funny, humble, self-deprecating and back to his Irish storytelling charming self who was genuine and not looking for validation with his charm... just a sample of one with my dad but it echo’s barbies current experience
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.