Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Stress reactions behind MLC/LBS behaviour - need your suggestions and opinions

Just to get some wider discussion (and more brainpower and cumulative thinking) on something I pondered on my own story....

And what we see as MLCr - LBS dynamics is basically two different kind of pattern sets colliding. 

MLCr is in survival/stress mode - they are falling into hard, self supporting patterns.  They are interested on what makes them feel good, taking care of their needs only.   

LBS is on the opposite pole, falling into "soft relationship building patterns".   They are interested on what benefits the togetherness, takes care of common needs, sometimes at their own expense (which is not good).

I view this as "cooking time" table (bit modified from Jay Earley's  relationship patterns book):

Dimension LBS stress reaction (unhealthy)  Goal 2: healthy relationship reaction  Goal 1: LBS/MLCr healing reaction  MLCr stress reaction (unhealthy) 
Intimacy Needy, dependant, clingy, pursuer Intimacy Self supporting, boundary setting (no cake eating) Intimacy avoiding, distancer
ConflictsConflict avoiding Good communicationSelf-care, boundary setting (low communication) Momster (judgemental, defensive)
PowerplayPassive-agressive, pleasingGo-operationAssertive, boundary setting (no momstering) Momster (controllive, rebelling,destructive))
CareFixingCaringSelf-care, boundary setting Cold, blaming, self-absorbing

The axis here being dual: time and energy/strength of behaviour.   The more energy involved in reaction, the longer it takes to steps out of it. The more time spent in reaction, the more energy it takes to step out of it. Yet another evil cycle of it's own there.

The first step is to get both out of unhealthy zones (as they are damaging oneself or damaging other). And that means heading into healing or healthy behaviour.   But considering the nature of this (stress reaction/response to relationship) and that old relationship is dead as dodo, it always requires both MLCr and LBS to visit healing zone before something new could come out of it.  So basically healing block remains the only true option remaining.

The way I look at above table/chart is akind of "cooking meter"... For example if I take Conflicts-dimension, I have definitely moved from LBS stress reaction to healthy relationship reaction, but I still have to advance to "healing reaction".   My MLCr on the other hand is still stuck with her stress reaction (aka. momster).    Essentially saying  both of us need to cook more.... I see this as a tool that can be used to track individual healing process of LBS or MLCr, or the overall status of relationship.

But I think there are (should be) more dimensions.  And those dimensions would have naturally unique set of reactions.   But what would the dimensions and reactions be?   I'm open for suggestions and opinions and discussion on what makes relationships and MLC-LBS dynamics tick, and what would be stress/healing/healthy reactions of those dimensions. 

Why I think this topic matters more than it looks is because this is IMHO basically at heart of boundary-setting.  It is all about learning to recognize unhealthy reactions, and then drawing the boundaries that help us to heal.

Feel free to share even strangest of thoughts, feel free to share examples of boundary setting in real life etc.. Show me what the united brainpower of LBS army could do to turn this into tool all of us could use to heal (and track our healing) . The stage is yours.   8)

Alvin, growing & healing & learning.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:52:19 AM by AlvinTheMaker »
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

Hope this topic doesn't turn into monologue, but I came up with one important dimension.... Safety.

So my current table would look like

Dimension LBS stress reaction (unhealthy)  Goal 2: healthy relationship reaction  Goal 1: LBS/MLCr healing reaction  MLCr stress reaction (unhealthy) 
Intimacy Needy, dependant, clingy, pursuer Intimacy Self supporting, boundary setting (no cake eating) Intimacy avoiding, distancer
ConflictsConflict avoiding Good communicationSelf-care, boundary setting (low communication) Momster (judgemental, defensive)
PowerplayPassive-agressive, pleasingGo-operationAssertive, boundary setting (no momstering) Momster (controllive, rebelling,destructive))
CareFixingCaringSelf-care, boundary setting Cold, blaming, self-absorbing
Safety Submissive (love can fix everything)TrustSelf-care, assertive, boundary setting (no momstering, distancing)Momster (Abusive, dominance, controllive)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:46:07 AM by AlvinTheMaker »
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.