Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems 2

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
Off-Topic Re: Forum Problems 2
OP: August 13, 2018, 09:49:15 AM
Right now I am and have been for the past 30 minutes or so been working on the colors for the mobile theme. This is different because this particular theme allows me to change colors in the back-end, whereas most do not have that option and I have to change the code directly.

I've been using some of the colors from the multicolor theme--rather than the slightly brighter greens from my brand colors. This is why you have been seeing some mixed colors. It takes about two minutes for each change to repopulate and then I have to see what it changed--so I have 3 windows open--the original multicolor in another browser, the board index and the backend.

I have the site background, the headers (some background strips--called category background I think) and the Header. I also changed the font to Verdana on the two places it allows...but don't see it. I want the header color a bit lighter and would like that color to continue--replacing the medium blue background overlaying the wider background (which I set as light purple--matching the main site).

I need to get going though--I'm doing this while the kids are creating fun chaos around me! ;) But I do want anyone on the mobile theme to have the more calming green background--since most, like me, prefer that. It's just a quick fix and I have not figure out all of it. There are also annoying bursts of blue between posts I did not figure out the other day. The backend color changes are limited.
It does appear that you should now be able to change your theme in your profile again though--I am logged in in the other browser as one of my test users and I was able to change it--profile--look and layout there is a tiny link next to current theme.

previous thread
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9893.0
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:51:09 AM by OldPilot »

• Mentor
Re: Re: Forum Problems 2
#1: August 13, 2018, 09:52:01 AM
Back to normal for me too.

"Happy Dance."

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:56:37 AM by Silver »
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

• Mentor
#2: August 13, 2018, 09:58:16 AM
Back to normal for me too.

"Happy Dance."

Let's dance like maniacs before she changes them again!

(sorry I was so enthusiastic that I started to edit your post first instead of quoting ;D)
"I've seen dreams that move the mountains, hope that doesn't ever end even when the sky is falling. I've seen miracles just happen, silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new. That's what faith can do." Kutless

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#3: August 13, 2018, 10:05:19 AM
Maybe it was Sir Osis.

I was just changing something else and when I refreshed I was on multicolor.
I will check to see what the default. I will then change mine to the mobile--when we can choose our theme it is like using a test site because I can select the mobile and make changes to it while you guys can still use multicolor..and aren't I supposed to be going?
I need to get 5 little ones ready for a Costco outing!

I was just changing the last color for now anyway. After that I really want to do it without you guys seeing the weird changes because I am down to a couple that I am not sure what/where they do/are and so I may choose some luridly bright test color at first so I can find the changes. I did that with this awful bright pink on the test forum and it is so weird...I only see the bright pink for a fraction of a second as I refresh. :o

S
  • Administrator
#4: August 13, 2018, 10:08:48 AM
I'll read through all your posts soon as I get a chance, but one thing I'm not getting is how you were seeing 'the old version' on phones.  Curve Multi Color, which was your original theme for a long time (green theme by default, with selectable color variants), is not a responsive theme, it should display the same on mobile as it does on pc, so you have to zoom everything up to read/post/pm, etc.  That's how my forums look/work on mobile.  The changes started a few days ago when RCR was working with mobile-desktop, a responsive theme that is supposed to look different on phones, and be easier to work with.  That's the theme you're looking at now.  I installed a clean copy last night, and it's really not that bad, but she's once again made some changes which have changed the fonts (face and size), and made it look awful.  We also tried a responsive curve mod, which adds mobile features to Curve, but it doesn't work very well.

If everyone was happy with the old theme (non-responsive Curve MC), and no one was complaining about using it on phones, then there would have been no reason to make any changes.  If you want a theme that's responsive for easier use on mobiles, then it'll take a bit of work to find and customize one that'll work for everyone.  Mobile themes are something of a horror show because of all the variations in devices, compounded by the usual differences in personal preferences.

I've just now set everyone back to Curve MC, and uninstalled responsive Curve mod, so everything should be as it was.

@RCR - if you want to continue working with mobile-desktop, you can select it for your own use in Profile -> Look and Layout, I can do the same if you need assistance.  All other members will remain in Curve MC.

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#5: August 13, 2018, 10:36:56 AM
Actually I have not done anything to the font size attribute; I only changed to Verdana which interestingly it looks like is the first option which I thought meant would be the default and was not. So I switched from comic sans (yuck) to Verdana and it is naturally bigger. I just now switched to Arial to see if that is better. But I am the only one on this theme--which is good for now.

I did not realize that there are now two of the mobile-desktop themes installed--the one I had started with that used my brand colors no one liked and then today I thought it was just a clean install and the other was gone, I began trying the more subdued multicolor greens. I think it is better. But colors or not, the theme is still giving people problems which means it won't work. It's nice for me right now though because I can still use it to test colors while everyone else continues on curve mc.

The test forum can only take me so far--with all the posts and users there is more for me to see when I make changes here.

A
#6: August 13, 2018, 10:57:16 AM
Yay, I can read posts without a magnifying glass on my tablet now!
Did anyone say the original is usually the best?
Thanks to whomever that fixed the problem.
Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

#7: August 13, 2018, 11:23:15 AM
Thank you - it’s back to normal now!

I can read it and use it as normal! Hallelujah

X

S
  • Administrator
#8: August 13, 2018, 07:51:50 PM
I have mobile-desktop running here, currently out-of-box.  It's not a bad theme, and the mobile view is better than responsive curve, which has a basically unuseable main menu, which for some reason isn't displayed on this forum (I have it working elsewhere).  Not going to waste time with it.  If I can get out from under, I'll tinker with mobile-desktop tonight.  The code is very strange, so it'll take a while to find things.

@RCR - I'll do the menu buttons for you now.  The mobile-desktop you were working on when I got here is in /mobile-desktop.sav/.

Buttons are up.  You can rename or move them around in /Sources/Subs.php.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:09:14 PM by Sir Osis »

#9: August 13, 2018, 07:52:40 PM
If everyone was happy with the old theme (non-responsive Curve MC), and no one was complaining about using it on phones, then there would have been no reason to make any changes.

As RCR explained, the changes were because of Google responsiveness. Don't think anyone was complaining of the old/usual/normal theme. And I don't think people were asked if they were or weren't happy with it.

If you want a theme that's responsive for easier use on mobiles, then it'll take a bit of work to find and customize one that'll work for everyone. 

It is RCR that wants/needs the responsice theme. None of us, maybe aside from you, were aware of the responsiveness issue until RCR mentioned it. Even those of us who are a bit techie don't come here thinking about those matters. We only want the board to be readable and working.

Mobile themes are something of a horror show because of all the variations in devices, compounded by the usual differences in personal preferences.

Indeed, mobile themes are a horror show. The personal preferences also aply to computer (or tablet) users. Gmail will soon be chaning again, but, as always, will allow for the use of its classic theme, that is the one I use with a personalized colour.

RCR, shinny/bright colours are a problem regardless of the colour. They tire and hurt the eyes and make things difficult. For people to remain on a site/spend time on a site, the site must be comfortable to the eyes (and head, some tones and shades and light intensity cause some people terrible headaches).

The more mate soft grey-green (the original multi-colour) is comfortable and does not tire the eyes.

Also to remember that, like Ursa said, some colours are not good to be seen at night because they affect sleep. It was the case of the blue themes.

Can you create a mirror board, with all the users and features, but have it on a different url, or on a beta/experimental page? That way you wouldn't have to be testing on the real board, rather on the replica.

I have mobile-desktop running here, currently out-of-box.

Whatever that thing is, it looks pretty much like all the other blue designs. It hurt the eyes, is too bright, weird small font, etc. If you are going to do new tries, please find a away of leaving the option to revert to curve multi-colour if we so wish.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:56:42 PM by Anjae »
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.