Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Reconnecting New chapter please

• Mentor
My Story Reconnecting New chapter please
#140: April 29, 2023, 06:29:47 AM
Such a lovely update hopeandfaith! In't it great when our kids are doing well  :)

I felt reading your post, that although there are ups and downs still, you are facing life wide eyes wide open and enjoying the good things that have been given to you...one word I guess, you have gratitude for what is. Really makes a difference.

Thanks again for sharing. Wishing you, your husband and your family all the good that life has to offer!
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

M
New chapter please
#141: April 29, 2023, 06:52:48 AM
Good read, good days, good life be tipped :)
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

E
New chapter please
#142: April 29, 2023, 12:53:59 PM
I love that you’ve updated here H&F. Far too long for Messenger messages  ;D
I’m back from cruising May 2 but sounds like we’re tag-teaming and you’re away following weekend. We’ll schedule that proper catch up after that somehow!  :D :D :D
I’m so happy that your crew are all so well. It feels very ‘solid’ these days. Thank you again for your message last week. I really hope your spidey senses are right on that one. Talk soon. Xx
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

h
    • Clare Brown Life Coach
New chapter please
#143: February 16, 2024, 07:12:17 PM
I was just saying to some Hero's Spouse faves that it's funny how life can be brilliant and painful in tandem.  That's a place I find myself now so I thought I might come back and post - which has the added bonus of directing my thoughts ahead of an appt with a new psychologist on Monday.  This will be the first time in 4 or 5 years that I have seen a psych and I am going because I want to unpack some attachment stuff and lift the hood a bit.   I feel like I have had a few years 'off' of doing any work and it's time to get back.  I remember my last psych encouraging me to stop doing work and just live so I guess you can say that I have done that.

I had a quick skim over my last post in April 23 and was surprised (or maybe not) to see that I could cut and post the paragraph about H and add it in here.  The slight difference being that I think he has spiralled further.  I'll get to that in a minute after I update about the rest of my life.

The kids are excellent.  D24 is now a fully qualified pilot with the airline that H and I work for.  Last year saw us have some surreal experiences that I can't believe I was lucky enough to have.  One of them being the day that D24 first flew for the company.  The training prior to that had all been in a simulator.  Day 1 is therefore rostered with a senior check and training pilot and there is a safety pilot in the flight deck too to make sure that nothing gets missed.  H is one of a handful of such senior pilots so he was the one who could see her fly an aeroplane he has being flying since I was pregnant with her.  I was the rostered flight attendant and we bought tickets for D22 and S20 to join us.  What a day!  Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.  The weather was horrendous but she did such a bloody good job and her first landing was a cracker.  I had a little bit of trouble keeping the emotions in check but was mindful of how disconcerting it would be for passengers to see their flight attendant in tears.  It all made sense when we landed and I told them what they had been a part of.  A big round of applause for D24 followed.  So incredibly special.  We have since flown together 2 more times as an entire crew which is both so normal and so surreal at the same time.  I just love ringing through to the flight deck to report that the cabin is secure and hearing "hi darling".

D22 is doing so well in her job with the same company.  More importantly, she is really balanced and happy in her life.  She is the one that has done the most work by far.  This includes taking herself off antidepressants and seeing a naturopath to balance her body so that she doesn't need them.  Her boyfriend is such a blessing and is truly an extra son and brother to us all.

S20 is still doing so well in the real estate company he started with last year.  He has worked super hard to get his qualifications in record time and has also become the family adviser in all things real estate.  He is still as pumped as when he started and I feel like financial rewards are going to start coming in for him in quite a big way.  I just went to see him carry out part of an auction for the first time.  He will be a licensed auctioneer very soon which will also be quite lucrative.  That boy has always been able to sell ice to an eskimo so I am just giddy about watching his success.

My parents.... We got a diagnosis of dementia for mum which was a long hard slog.  Things have settled a little bit there now because Dad has worked very hard to register for services to assist them in the future.  Mum has also started a medication that seems to have arrested the progression a bit.  It's still not a topic we can discuss without upsetting her so we just don't.  There's no value in it.  Dad has just taken on the job of doing the cooking and high risk tasks but mum is still very hands on with cleaning and maintaining the house.  She does an excellent job of this and no one is looking to take this off her or disable her in any other way prematurely. 

Little curveball though.  Dad has been diagnosed with quite an aggressive cancer.  He has started treatment and will commence chemotherapy shortly.  The prognosis, if treatment goes well, will be about 3-5 years.  Weirdly, he is taking this really well.  I say weirdly because prior to him having something serious wrong with him, he REALLY struggled having to look after mum.  He has been quite abusive to me over the past year.  Almost like, this is not what he signed up for and he was wanting to hand responsibility off to me.  I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to be him so I have overlooked his approach over and over again.  Part of my investigations with the psych will include how I have taken on a parent role with my folks for my whole life and it doesn't look that is going to change anytime soon.

That pattern carries on with H.  It seems I have always cared more about his welfare than he has.  It's actually exhausting now.  It is not lost on me that the 3 humans I gave birth to are all more 'adulty' and dependable as people I can emotionally lean on than the people I should be able to lean on (husband and parents).  Like I said - stuff to unpack there.

I am pretty sure H is depressed.  He is still medicating with alcohol and its messing with him more and more as time passes.  This is hard on a marriage.  I think I have confused the meaning of detachment in the past.  I thought that by pulling back from conversations and doing my own thing when he is drunk was detaching.  It's not really.  I still feel worked up about it.  I am just worked up and quiet. This also possibly gives the misguided impression that I am ok with his drinking.  I have started being a lot more honest about the affect this is having on me.  Most of the time I manage to do so when he is sober but there have been a couple of times when I have not managed to do that.  Boy is that an interesting discussion.  Straight from the alcoholic handbook that is!!  H has described this as 'poking the bear'.  I said "you do realise that you sound like an abuser who blames the missus because she made him angry enough to punch her". He was aware.  The shame is heavy.  The pressure from me is ever present and the clock might feel like it is ticking for him.  But still, his fear is in control and he is still negotiating with the devil (alcohol). I am not however.

Fortunately, he feels rock solid on the relationship front.  He keeps confirming this also.  He is less comfortable with the fact that you can be both very happy and also very sad at the same time.  I feel like he holds back telling me how sad he is because he thinks I will panic.  I have started introducing the idea that I think he is depressed this week.  I thank god for D22 because if she hadn't shown that there could be a non-medical way out of that, he would rather die of it than admit that to a Dr for fear of losing his pilot's licence. 

The kids are very concerned about him too but have not raised this with him.  They haven't really had the time or opportunity.  I think it would have a powerful impact if they did though and it would be interesting to see what happens when the threat of his relationship ending is not the filter through which he hears it.  This is what I think might be in the way when we talk.

So yeah, that's me and mine.  Bloody brilliant but sad and heavy too  :-\ :) 8)

BD's in May 09, Sept 12 - suspected OW
Left home Jan 12 2013
OW confirmed Feb 2013
Moved home April 11 2014
BD again in April 2017 - clinging. 
Moved home again March 2020
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

b
  • Mentor
New chapter please
#144: February 17, 2024, 03:04:34 AM
Hello Hope

I think I have confused the meaning of detachment in the past.  I thought that by pulling back from conversations and doing my own thing when he is drunk was detaching.  It's not really.  I still feel worked up about it.  I am just worked up and quiet.

This is very interesting and true for me as well. I am frequently "worked up and quiet" and believing that somehow is detachment .  I find that has a very negative impact on my nervous system indeed as unsettled emotions and frustration is brewing inside.  And resentments. All of that cannot be the true meaning of detachment .  It is rather a feeling of silencing ourselves tp "keep the peace" and that does not sit well at all. I wrestle with this frequently but I have not found a better way as of yet.  Recently I have come across the term "radical acceptance" and have just started to explore this.

It is not lost on me that the 3 humans I gave birth to are all more 'adulty' and dependable as people I can emotionally lean on than the people I should be able to lean on (husband and parents).  Like I said - stuff to unpack there.

Yes.  I understand this as I have felt the same many many times. This may always be the case in my situation ..that meeting my emotional need for connection and emotional support may never be something my husband is capable of doing. Maybe some "radical acceptance" will help with that.  Its just now how it is "supposed to be", but that's the reality.  For me personally I have lost two of my very best friends that have been my emotional support and that void and loss has been very very painful. My daughters are older than yours and I am cautious of leaning on them in difficult moments . It feels like it "should" be the other way around. 

I continue with my therapist as it seems there is endless unpacking to do as I move forward. Especially around attachment issues,  Always something new to learn and grow from I suspect. Your children sound just fabulous despite your long timeline of dealing with this MLC nonsense.  I am a decade from BD and still sorting stuff. That to me is shocking. My youngest daughter is on the final stretch of her PHD and is teaching at the university. Despite the last 10 years we have managed to turn out some brilliant "adulty" kids , have we not?.  We are rather awsome like that ! 

Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

• MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
New chapter please
#145: February 17, 2024, 06:31:01 AM
Hope and Barbie,

Thank both of you so much for posting this week.  I’ve seen so many similarities  in our reconnection stories, just so many.  I’ve been shaking my head as I  have read through  your posts.  The alcohol, the caretaking role, the adult children that you are more connected with right now.  All of it. 

I too have struggled so much with what detachment is at this phase.  I get quiet and my H freaks out.  He is constantly asking me if I’m ok.  As I have been speaking my truth more and more he continues to shut down in shame.  It’s a difficult conversation for sure.  We save a lot of it for our MC.  Trying to unpack the reality of all we have gone through is a tough pill to swallow sometimes.  Also unpacking the reality of what was kind of always there at the same time and what needs to be different going forward. 

Reconnecting is not for the faint of heart.  I think all of our stories are showing that just because they return doesn’t mean this journey is over.  It’s a whole new trip with lots of bags to unpack. 

Hugs to both of you as you slog your way forward.  Thanks again for posting!
Husband 58
Me 58
Kids 3 sons 33, 30, 28 1 daughter 24
BD #1 Spring 2016
BD #2 Winter 2017
married 36years.  Together 38
H never moved out except 3 weeks after BD #1
OW 30 year single mom employee-PA

h
    • Clare Brown Life Coach
New chapter please
#146: February 17, 2024, 03:54:24 PM
Barbiedoll and Roo, I have got so much out of both of your posts this week too.  Fair to say that it is a mutual admiration society for sure  ;D

And our kids....well they are just the absolute best!  They honestly set a standard for the rest of the planet and I feel like I confidently expect more and ask for more of humans in general because of the standard they set.  If they can do it....

Barbie, that stuff I posted yesterday about my understanding of detachment being a bit wonky really only came clearer to me while I was posting, so my wish to focus in on the stuff I want to discuss at my psych appointment came true.  On my list of other stuff is attachment.  I suspect there is a lot here for me too.  The radical acceptance thing is something I am excited to look at too following you mentioning it, so thank you for that.  I read the bio of the psych that I am going to and apparently she does quite a bit of work with Schema therapy.  I wasn't really across that so I had a quick google and saw myself in the domain of rejection/abandonment and other-directedness so there are some juicy bits to chew on here too.  Interestingly, I also saw H in these places so it makes complete sense as to how we found home in each other.  Like Roo says though (or my interpretation of it anyway), it's time to move house.  I would like to do that with him.  It remains to be seen whether he is also interested in metaphorically doing that.  In one of my 'discussions' with his drunk alter-ego (who I call Al), I was told that this is who he is and he's not gonna change.  I almost laughed.  Sometimes I actually visualise getting an inch from the face of Al and telling him that I see him, I see his manipulation and I am not scared of him.  It often feels like I am fighting Al for H.  And ladies and gentlemen, I'd put money on me  ;D

My new psych is of a German background and her bio includes a disclaimer about her being quite direct.  I love that.  She is also young and I love that too.  Young = fresh to me.  It does not equal inexperienced.  Again, it probably goes back to the confidence and respect I have for my kids that makes me feel comfortable and interested in what she might have to say.  I also like that she focuses on what pushes your buttons and then applies that to your life going forward.  I have no interest in marinating in the swamps of past pain to find my way forward.  I have never really prescribed to that method of therapy really.  I think it can be dangerous in some circumstances.

I hope you both know how much being in these trenches with you over the years has been soul soothing on a deep level.  Such a gift x
BD's in May 09, Sept 12 - suspected OW
Left home Jan 12 2013
OW confirmed Feb 2013
Moved home April 11 2014
BD again in April 2017 - clinging. 
Moved home again March 2020
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
New chapter please
#147: February 19, 2024, 01:51:30 AM
H & F,

I can 100% vouch for the "German directness."  Germans have no problem telling one that they are being an anal orifice right to their faces or that what they are doing is stupid if that is what they think or, my personal favorite - "You're doing it WRONG!" because you are NOT doing it the way they think it should be done. After living here for 20-some-odd years, I have developed a VERY thick skin because I am ALWAYS doing it WRONG!
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.