Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story All of us learned how to walk by failing

My Story Re: All of us learned how to walk by failing
#20: August 23, 2022, 01:06:59 PM
Father5, I have no experience in this, but I want to encourage you that with technology being what it is, you still have good opportunities to connect with your kids screen-to-screen daily. I know it's not the same as physical visitation that is more frequent when you live in the same locale, but you are a proactive dad who has already priced out those flights and considered all angles, so we all know you'll be doing everything you can to make this work. The homelessness/financial aspect is not something every LBS can relate to - but I certainly can. Came very close, and was bankrupted by my ex's drama. You have an opportunity to start over, get your feet back under you, and give your kids more opportunities. I for one am happy for you, even though I know it comes with this dilemma. You are not abandoning your kids though, like a lot of the MLCers we see here do. You are working hard FOR them. And they know that, and will continue to. And their visits will be super special times. Just wanted to show you some support! Big hugs!

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
All of us learned how to walk by failing
#21: August 24, 2022, 08:02:07 AM
Hello,

I went a registered the kids for school and while doing so I noticed she put the OM as an emergency contact.

Just as Standing Strong stated, she knows how to push your buttons. Just like the time she brought OM with her when she dropped off the kids and you almost had a row with him. She likes pushing your buttons because when you lose your temper, it justifies her bad choices. I'm not a cheater, Father is an out of control man and I had no choice.

As far as the job, I suggest you go for it as it is a long term win. It enables you to do more for your children and relieves a lot of stress off of you. That's going to make you a better father and enable you to provide quality time with the kids.

As far as your ex letting you take the kids, be prepared for an initial no. She may want them gone, but she still likes to poke the bear and may just say no because you want a yes. However, if she says no, keep your cool and move forward. Once the reality sinks in and the work begins, she will probably relent.

I am really happy for you and I only wish the best for you. I know how hard the past few months have been and this is an opportunity for you to move forward with your life and a great opportunity to support your kids. Just let them know how much you love them and want them to have a great life with you.

((((Ready)))))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Re: All of us learned how to walk by failing
#22: August 24, 2022, 03:32:45 PM
Can you petition the court to take them with you explaining the reason for the move? At what age are they allowed to express their preferences? I worry about your mental health taking a toll by missing your kiddos and doing unfulfilling work. Can you work remotely and move to a less expensive city that is still in the area where you are currently?
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

#23: August 25, 2022, 10:40:42 AM
HI FTT,

Yes I thought about that if they were both on board. My son who is very smart and a little excentric has a hard time making friends. He talks about big things like physics and such which bore most of us. ( I fake it as best I can) He has a great group and has found his peeps. I would hate to upset that as he is thriving where he is. I think I will have to come back every other weekend and do the best I can.

If I can make the money that was discussed at the new gig. I would come back as soon as I can. Dig myself out of this hole and put some money away quickly. I think their college adult life I will be able to be a huge part of. It's not that far off. I will be sad for sure and cry often. I really don't see another choice for me going forward.

The work is unfulfilling but the pay is very good. I am hoping a fresh start will be able to hget me out of the rut I have been in for almost four years now. This depression needs to end and maybe being able to provide will help me get there.
Together 12 yrs Married 5
5 kids 3- Step (21) (20) (18) Two together ( 8 ) (9)
BD1 March 2018 - I wish I could give you more of what you need
BD2 Aug 2018 - I want a divorce sent by text ILWYBNILWY

O/M Discovered Nov-18

Divorce final Nov-21

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#24: August 25, 2022, 11:42:43 AM
I know this is a hard decision. FWIW, I wish for your sake the work wasn't unfulfilling, but I think your line of thinking makes a lot of sense. The impact of financial and especially home instability is huge and long lasting and ripples in ways one might never imagine. If you can keep the hole you're currently in from getting bigger and start to dig out of it, you might open yourself up to being able to make different decisions in the future, maybe even pivot at some point in the next years and do something else that's more satisfying and closer to your kids, because you'll have firmer financial footing, better physical and mental health and a stable environment from which to make different choices then. Making choices from within "the hole" is nearly impossible and things never look the same from inside there. I'm rooting for you, F5.
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

#25: August 25, 2022, 04:33:29 PM
Opportunity begets opportunity F5  :)

How many doors will open when the finances are good?.... and we all do things we don't like until we can do other things we like more.

Rooting for ya all the way!!!

-SS

W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
#26: October 10, 2022, 05:27:10 PM
I hope you are doing well, F5, whatever you decided.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

M
#27: October 10, 2022, 08:16:09 PM
How are things going F5?  I hope you are doing well and finding peace. 

#28: November 18, 2022, 12:04:04 AM
Hi Everyone ,

It has been a while for me. I ha e been in the new are for almost Te’o months now. I fly out to see my kids every two weeks as planned. They come out this weekend for a week :). The work is tough and the hours are long but it seems to have helped me move forward in a way and not think about MLC for a while. (Though I do miss you guys )

I am in a new house with a new car and making good money. Stepping back I can really see my growth come through. I am making decisions and not letting as much corporate drama affect me. I do not think people are out for my job all the time. Even if they were there isn’t much I can do about it. So I put it in Gods hands. I can’t explain how this has helped me grow but it has in ways I couldn’t have imagined five years ago. BD is the 27th of this month.

I do not communicate with my ex still. There is no banter or small  talk anymore. It’s kids and times etc. very business like. It’s so very sad all of it. I work a lot so I haven’t had time to date but would like a new relationship at some point. I feel good and I feel proud of myself for the first time in a very long time.

Thank you all for the well wishes and advice you have truly saved me from myself.

Together 12 yrs Married 5
5 kids 3- Step (21) (20) (18) Two together ( 8 ) (9)
BD1 March 2018 - I wish I could give you more of what you need
BD2 Aug 2018 - I want a divorce sent by text ILWYBNILWY

O/M Discovered Nov-18

Divorce final Nov-21

#29: November 18, 2022, 12:21:11 AM
What a lovely update, Father.
You should feel proud of yourself for wading through the s$it and making a different life that works for you and your kids with the cards you held. That’s no mean achievement, is it?  :)
Hope you have a great week with your kids!
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.