Skip to main content

Author Topic:  My story

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
My story
OP: November 24, 2023, 09:41:43 AM
Well - I can't say this is all new but here goes. My W 48, had an affair 11 years ago. The kids were younger 7&5  and she began hanging with single women and going out more often. Eventually I caught her in many lies and she came clean. She said she got
caught up in the attention and her friends were doing it as well.Told her she had decide what she wanted before we could decide possible next steps. Went to counseling and eventually things were repaired. But she has always enjoyed her alone time.So lately she’s been distant, short and no longer I love you’s or kisses when she leaves. I’ve asked if we are ok and eventually I pull it out of her. She doesn’t regret having kids and loves them but wonders what life would’ve been otherwise. Tells me she loves me and I’m a great father and husband and this is her process alone. I can’t help because it’s not about me. Even said if she moved out our daughter would be with her because they are very close. I was floored! Together for 21 years married for 18. She said she doesn’t know what the future holds but wants to work a meaningful job, and may just want to be single. Claims she isn’t looking or has anyone in mind but has regrets from earlier in life and plenty of baggage she’s hasn’t dealt with. Everyday is so uncomfortable. We talk , but not
For long, under the same roof, and I’m trying to process what I have done wrong? I felt her pulling away and glad I pulled it from her. She said she feels much better it’s on the table and now I feel worse. All I’ve ever wanted was a family and now I may be the one that gets cut out ?
Has said she loves me and I’m her best friend and if we went our own ways she still needs me as her friend …each day is torture! I’m not playing fix it, giving space, but stomach is on knots. Holiday was ok, not as distant but still very noticeable. I feel powerless !! She tells me she will keep me posted on her decisions and doesn’t plan on making any quickly ….
Went thru something similar (not as raw) after 2nd child - was unhappy with being only a mom, sad, and depressed but that was short lived. Said we were always friends first so let’s just be friends as she works thru this. It’s scary she has thought some
Of this though. Son going to college next year has likely been another trigger but I can’t wrap my head around any of this ….. Lost

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
Re: My story
#1: December 02, 2023, 12:01:25 PM
It’s amazing how consistent behavior is amongst the stories I have read and my own. It’s like I don’t know who this person is. Unfortunately, it’s becoming a little easier to care less when there is nothing I can do. I feel bad for her too because she has as many questions as I do and answers are absent. Not sure how long I can live in limbo but I want to give her some time. This is by far the hardest experience in my life and when this moves forward my son is going to have some real issues. I spent time with him yesterday and he was upset that his friends parents have been having issues and it’s not getting better. It broke my heart that he hasn’t a clue it’s the same in his world right now. I almost felt guilty as well. He’s 17 and loves family. Detaching has pro’s and cons and I’m learning that each day. I don’t wish this on anyone ….

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
My story
#2: December 04, 2023, 03:28:31 AM
The "Oh, we will no longer be a couple but we can still be BFF's" thing is typical for a Mid-Lifer... they think they can just have all the benefits and none of the responsibilities of the ending of the marriage. 

Mine said the same thing until I stopped being there at her beck and call... "Can you fix my sink? Can you help me get my dog to the vet? Can you do this, that or the other thing?" When I finally started saying "No" the BFF idea quickly ended, particularly after I told her that she could ask some of her other friends for help as well and that I was not available 24x7 anymore, that I had been fired form that position and that one of the reasons she gave for ending the marriage was that she felt she needed to show that she could do it all herself.... So, you go do it babe....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

K
My story
#3: December 07, 2023, 07:10:33 AM
This seems to be in the archived threads - hence why no responses, maybe a moderator can move it?

• Mentor
My story
#4: December 07, 2023, 07:15:50 AM
This seems to be in the archived threads - hence why no responses, maybe a moderator can move it?

Done. Don't know why it was in the Archives Folder - maybe got started there by accident....

UM
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
#5: December 07, 2023, 04:35:43 PM
Tks for moving this.
I have some questions. My wife isn’t nasty or mean but is struggling like most spouses here. It’s hard to trust her but we still talk, text and discuss the kids. She doesn’t wanna do anything with me since I’m in the life that she’s so unhappy with. Should I not initiate conversations at all? Just keep things short and functioning ? If she wants to talk - I want to help here. I get that she doesn’t want my help but we aren’t fighting and never had. She’s confused, depressed, and just unhappy with her life - all aspects.

• Mentor
My story
#6: December 07, 2023, 11:08:48 PM
The advice from the site (and from me as well) is NOT to engage in Relationship ("R")  talks. They are usually counterproductive at best and activate the Monster at worst. Being polite, friendly, even supportive (so long as it does not harm you emotionally/mentally) is perfectly reasonable but discussing the marriage, the relationship, etc., is an exercise in futility. The reasons that the Mod-lifer has for being unhappy at 10:00 on a Friday will likely be different form those at 10:25 on Saturday if you get my meaning.

The Mid-Lifer isn't really interested in "improving" the R while they are in the tunnel because, to them, the marriage is root cause of whatever problems they are having. Rather than look inward to find the actual cause (be it FOO, lack of self-esteem, lack of the ability to soothe one's own self, etc) the Mid-Lifer finds an external "scapegoat" (read "the marriage," "the LBS," etc.) and focuses the blame there.
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

My story
#7: December 08, 2023, 01:26:07 AM
I don’t know if your wife is in MLC or not….time will tell…or if she is just doing a do-over of what she did 11 years ago bc it is who she is and what she does when she feels dissatisfied with her life. You will reach your own conclusions about that.

I prefer to focus less on that and more on how you are doing as the LBS in the situation as you see it bc, after all, you are the one who has come here looking for support.

Part of that imho is encouraging you to focus on the observable facts you can see and giving you a safe space to think out loud about what feels do-able or not to you and for you.

She said she doesn’t know what the future holds but wants to work a meaningful job, and may just want to be single. Claims she isn’t looking or has anyone in mind but has regrets from earlier in life and plenty of baggage she’s hasn’t dealt with.
This may be so, and it does sound as if she is looking for a ‘magic happy fix’. I’d be surprised if so but just to be open-minded, is she doing anything constructive like working with a decent IC or finding a meaningful job that looks like someone taking responsibility for dealing with their own mess or baggage? Much like you have done in coming here.
And how are your finances organised? Bc folks in search of a happy fix can spend a lot of cash and not care much about the damage that might cause others.

I’m trying to process what I have done wrong?….
You are probably a normal imperfect human….but I hope you can see that your role in her unhappy list of ‘maybe I want x or y’ has very little to do with you. Did you make her have an affair or lock her in the home afterwards or force her to do things she now regrets? Have you prevented her from having a meaningful job? Do you even know what her early baggage is let alone pack it for her? Did you hold a gun to her head to get her to marry you? No? Thought not. I’m sure you may have your own regrets or imperfections, as most of us do, but no, you did nothing wrong that caused this. This is about her, not about you. Having said that, you may find yourself deciding to take a different approach to her and your relationship from here on, given the situation, bc we LBS tend to do that as we begin to think more about our own needs.

I felt her pulling away and glad I pulled it from her. She said she feels much better it’s on the table and now I feel worse….
What do you think you have gained from ‘pulling it out of her’? Why are you glad you did? And why do you feel worse now?
I hope you can see from your own life experience that ‘pulling’ things out of people tends to result in a kind of ‘trickle truth’, that there is a fair chance that she is lying or at best not telling other ‘truths’? Bc that’s how humans in this kind of situation work, isn’t it? And truth being ‘pulled out’ tends to suggest less real remorse or holding oneself accountable for one’s own bad actions….like a teenager tbh who admits to smoking a cigarette but doesn’t tell you about the weed   ::)

And of course she feels better…..she has told you what she wants to, and now has the power and control of everyone waiting on eggshells for her next announcement. She may even feel as if you have in some weird way given her permission to keep doing what she’s doing. Has she always been a pretty entitled kind of character? Bc what struck me most about your post is that she seems to feel entitled to throw a hand grenade into your life (again, bc I guess it felt like that 11 years ago too?) and that the rest of you will just wait in line until she decides what she wants? And that,perhaps, you are thinking this way too?

All I’ve ever wanted was a family and now I may be the one that gets cut out ?…..
Please don’t run off down this mental cul-de-sac. Partly bc it’s not helpful. Partly bc it’s not accurate. Partly bc your fear of it makes you vulnerable to being manipulated. Whatever unfolds, and none of us know that yet, you are still a father to your children. You are likely going to be the only stable empathic protective parent they will have for a while bc entitled folks hunting a magic happy are rarely decent parents. Your kids are going to have their own box of confused feelings about your wife’s behaviour and they are old enough that, if you separate, you and they will have more freedom to shape their relationship with you. And navigating this s$itshow usually causes most LBS parents to dig deep and focus on their kids as they shift their focus from their spouse’s drama.

Has said she loves me and I’m her best friend and if we went our own ways she still needs me as her friend …
Well, she may. But grown ups know that actions matter more than words, and choices bring effects.
I think the biggest message I want to convey to you is that, right now, she is NOT your friend. She is not behaving like a friend or someone who loves you, at least in my definition of love. What about yours?
You get to choose…it really isn’t all about what she wants, is it, even if she thinks it is? She doesn’t have to be your enemy, but truly this woman now is not your friend….and it will help you if you can change your expectations of her accordingly imho. And start thinking less about what she wants and more about what you need and your own boundaries. (Useful aid to reflection here https://psychcentral.com/lib/10-way-to-build-and-preserve-better-boundaries ) Which is normal for most LBS where you are. What do you need? What are you prepared to give? What feels doable? And what does not?

each day is torture!…..
This imho is the useful bit to focus on for yourself right now. Think of it like a kind of experiment. What is most making it feel like torture? What would need to happen for you to feel less tortured? Which bits of that are in your hands and which are not?
And I am so sorry. Without making too many assumptions, most of us here have been in your shoes at least for a period of time and it is awful. We get it. Even with time and distance, most of us would say it was the worst experience of our life. But what we can say from the other side is that it will not always feel like this, that there is a life on the other side regardless of what happens, and that there are things you can do to navigate it and temper the damage.
How are you doing on the basics? Sleep, food, exercise, work, emotional wellbeing, focusing on other small pleasures of life that have nothing to do with your wife or your marriage? What kind of support system do you have? Friends, family, a decent therapist so you have a safe place to think out loud and feel seen, heard and valued? What do you do that helps you feel just 1% better on a really bad day? How do you protect yourself and your kids from her behaviour? Where do you go and what do you do to give yourself a break from the strain of it?

We’re not in the business of telling you what to do about your marriage as it stands. We will respect whatever choice you make and try to support you in finding a way to do it that is as healthy as possible for you and your kids. And your choices may evolve as the situation evolves; that’s ok too.

What can we most usefully help you out with right now?
What do you see as your most pressing priorities?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

B
  • Stand Up and THRIVE!
#8: December 08, 2023, 05:11:41 AM
Welcome Lost, first off sorry you’re here. Secondly Treasure and UM are good people and They give great advice. I have an at home since 3/23, and yes it is uncomfortable living with an at home MLCer. Not sure if she’s in a separate room or you still share a bed. When all this started with her asking for ‘space’ I set myself up in the man cave. It’s not horrible to have your own space and her hers. If  anyone should be kicked out of the bed it should have been her but I’ve gone this long, it is what it is. Not sure if she wants you to leave the home, mine tried but I held my ground.
If it  comes up I would tell her you’re not leaving. You’re comfortable in the original life you built together. If she wants a new life she’s free to go find it out there.
If she remains an at home I would recommend giving her space, you may have to eat meals alone, or with the kids and not her. The whole thing sucks but eventually you get into a routine of a new normal.
As for conversations I just take her lead. Sometimes we go days with nothing, then she’ll text
Me out of the blue with a picture of a deer in the backyard, or a picture of the kids when they were little. They cycle through a lot, everything is a damn cycle. As for relationship talks I wouldn’t, mine brings it up about every 2 months (cycles!)and I confirm I’m staying put. As expressed by others take care of you, you didn’t break her and you can’t fix her. Also I’ve been reading Hearts Blessings, great book if you get a chance.

Again sorry you’re here
BD 3/23
Standing
W Still at Home
M-48
W-46

m
  • Trial Subscriber
My story
#9: December 08, 2023, 05:22:27 AM
The reasons that the Mod-lifer has for being unhappy at 10:00 on a Friday will likely be different form those at 10:25 on Saturday if you get my meaning.

The Mid-Lifer isn't really interested in "improving" the R while they are in the tunnel because, to them, the marriage is root cause of whatever problems they are having. Rather than look inward to find the actual cause (be it FOO, lack of self-esteem, lack of the ability to soothe one's own self, etc) the Mid-Lifer finds an external "scapegoat" (read "the marriage," "the LBS," etc.) and focuses the blame there.

UM this may be the most complete and concise explanation for the majority of our member's issues!! Excellently done! Only thing I would add, but please remember I am new, is that the spouse is the easiest scapegoat as the MLCer has everyday interaction and can blame the LBS for anything they'd like- like the time you woke up with bad bed-hair, or the day you forgot to close the toothpaste tube.....

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.