Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Me & my MLC man

My Story Me & my MLC man
#20: December 23, 2023, 08:55:23 AM
Imho it IS a trauma response probably.
And the good thing about that is that it is like a coat you are temporarily wearing.,,,it doesn’t define who you are or will be. But traumatised brains throw up some weird stuff, so forewarned is forearmed and  gently slowing your roll is perfect for traumatised brains.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

m
Re: Me & my MLC man
#21: December 23, 2023, 10:01:56 AM
I felt so so stupid to believe that this man would actually feel love toward me. Instead, he just stands behind my H, knowing what my H did. After 23 years? I just feel so stupid for believing that this man would actually care for me. How did I not see this coming? I would've never sent my message if I wasn't thinking he would appreciate it.

Maybe he had a bad day — he is very ill after all, although it's under control (but still, it's terminal — they just don't know how long he has). But then I started thinking... probably my H didn't tell them the truth, and probably, my H didn't tell me the truth either. I just went with the story my H told me about my FIL still caring for me and appreciating my gestures. But who knows...? I can't actually trust anything that comes out of my H's mouth, from long before BD.

Still... it really, really hurt to read that. I named the cheating, the deception, and the pain/trauma it caused me, and my FIL chose to ignore that by saying he supports my H 100% in everything he does. I never asked my FIL to choose sides because I know he will support his son, but at least, I expected some understanding and sympathy towards what I'm going through. That's all I ever wanted from my FIL, so that I could still be there for him during his illness. I was even planning on asking him if he wanted me to sing on his funeral, because I sang for both of his parents...

First, I’d like to say I’m really sorry you find yourself in this spot. It is incredibly difficult and I’m sure disappointing and disheartening. I feel I need to point out two important things that may help you.

The first one is the same thing you’ve probably have heard over and over again. It is not reasonable nor productive to expect the family of your spouse to take your side or even in anyway be there for you. Yes, there are some exceptions on this forum but it’s not the norm. Whether we like it or not, when are forcing them to choose when we share our pain and problems by mentioning their children’s disordered behavior We are putting them in a difficult spot and making them responsible for our pain and their children’s pain.

The second one is a delicate topic and please do not read it in any way as discounting how you feel. We’ve all been there and it is a horrible feeling, a lot of pain confusion, and we need to really focus on ourselves to try to survive. Sometimes it feels like we are dying. Having said that your father-in-law is facing the ultimate challenge, actual death. I have no idea how he’s dealing with it, where he is in the acceptance process, but in my personal view when someone is facing death, barring very few circumstances, the focus needs to be on them. I am sure that was not at all your intent, and you wanted to be there for him but your note stating what you cannot do in a way may have shifted focus back away from whatever he is going through.

So for your sake and in a way for his sake you should not engaging them or include them in what is going on. That means you may not have any relationship with them. It is an unfortunate reality.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

I
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Trust the process.
#22: December 23, 2023, 10:12:52 AM
Imho it IS a trauma response probably.
And the good thing about that is that it is like a coat you are temporarily wearing.,,,it doesn’t define who you are or will be. But traumatised brains throw up some weird stuff, so forewarned is forearmed and  gently slowing your roll is perfect for traumatised brains.

There is something strangely familiar about my trauma response. And it is really scary to look at.
It actually throws me back to my childhood in which I was fighting for my mother's love, or at least: visible/tangible signs of her love for me. She was emotionally quite unavailable, she was too young to be a mother, and my father was away all the time to provide for us.

I remember this horrible feeling of not being sure I was loved and I don't have any memories about how I acted when I felt this uncertainty, but I can imagine myself crying and pleading in a way babies do when they feel distressed.

My parents recently told me that I was a quiet and "nice" kid. But that was after being a baby. I feel like I was hanging on an emotional thread when I was a baby and by the time I was a toddler or young child, I already had coping mechanisms in place as I understood very early on that by being the quiet, non-demanding kid, I could get something from my mother. I feel like my mother was overwhelmed since the day she found out about the pregnancy.

Now, with my MLCer, I have this same dynamic. When there are no visible/tangible signs of his love for me, there's a buildup inside of me, and with the next trigger, it explodes! I become that baby who can only express through crying, and there are different ways of crying: sadness and distress. But as an adult, of course, through my crying in distress, the cry becomes lashing out in anger with words. I'm not a baby anymore, but emotionally, it feels like that.

I often have recurring dreams of not being heard and seen when I'm distressed. Throughout my life, I have failed quite a lot in having people around me understand that I'm distressed or in stress. It's like I always have to repeat myself (and then being called a "nag" or "party pooper"). I know how it feels when you have to deal with being distressed all by yourself even when around other people.

I can see that I always surrounded myself with mostly emotionally unavailable people. Even when there were emotionally available people around, I would focus on those who were not, like only those who existed and needed to hear/see me.
I lost friendships because I couldn't see what I did have, and people just stopped trying after a while.

Not to say that my husband stopped trying, no, he is one of the emotionally unavailable people in my life in that sense that I was there for him emotionally, always, but when I needed emotional support from him, he didn't seem to have a way to deal with that. Even when I was sick, it was like he was irritated with me, like I was doing it on purpose. At least, my mother would care for me when I was sick, like I would care for my H when he was sick, but he couldn't do the same for me.

The interesting thing is that I learned to regulate my emotions and nervous system in the past years because I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder back in 2014 and have had years of therapy and work on myself, shadow work even, since then. Before BD, I felt very confident about taking care of myself emotionally, while my H seemed to be the one who was struggling, but he didn't allow me to help (after BD, he told me that he was scared of my inner strength, by the way).

I think we became emotionally incompatible and BD was the wake-up call I needed to understand that I deserve someone who is able to be emotionally open with me. I don't know if my H will ever be. It's not that he really was before this all happened.

Having almost NC for a little while and now this huge trigger with my FIL helps me realize that it's better for me to just let go of all those people who don't fit into my life anymore because I've changed. I need to focus on the present and future instead of holding on to the past that isn't fitting for me anymore.

My R with my H gave me the space to transform from a victim of CEN into an emotionally mature and thriving person. I was at a high before BD when it came to my self-esteem and sense of self-worth. Even though my H was sliding into that depression, emotionally, it was my best year so far.

Of course, BD was traumatic... And grieving for a 23-year relationship is not an easy thing to do.
But what if this is actually the best thing that could happen to me right now? I more and more see that it was inevitable. And the question is if my H and I will ever reconcile because... will he ever be the man that I need/deserve?

In the first months after BD, it was impossible to think about not reconciling. I really needed the whole MLC concept/theory to get through these first months. But now... I don't know. He just doesn't seem to be the man who could ever be emotionally open enough for me so that we could both thrive together. It might be so that he needs other things now, because I've grown into a person who's just not right for him anymore, and I cannot compromise what I've gained within myself. I cannot lower the bar or go back to where he felt "safe" with me.

I need to get through this... the trauma, the grieving process... and I need to let go of my CEN trauma from the past, which I was in the process of doing. I need to let go of the H I knew because it's no longer fitting for me. We would make each other miserable if we tried. And I can't see my H changing into the man I need and deserve. Maybe, someday, who knows, but maybe it is more realistic to just let go and after I healed from this ordeal, to open myself up to a man who's more my equal in this equation.

If I hold on or go back, I'll just attract more of the same misery. And I'm done with that now. I really am.
Me44
H46 (currently: replay off-n-on/boomerang)
Relationship: October 2000 / Married: March 2006 / Renewed vows: September 2016
AP36 since May 2023 (EA became PA / long-distance affair)
Bunch of animals, no kids

October 7, 2023: (A)BD (ILYBNILWY + incompatible)
October 8, 2023: left home, lives on his own (with our youngest cat)
January 2024: divorce preparation is officially ongoing

My thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=12140.0

I
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Trust the process.
#23: December 23, 2023, 10:36:57 AM
The second one is a delicate topic and please do not read it in any way as discounting how you feel. We’ve all been there and it is a horrible feeling, a lot of pain confusion, and we need to really focus on ourselves to try to survive. Sometimes it feels like we are dying. Having said that your father-in-law is facing the ultimate challenge, actual death. I have no idea how he’s dealing with it, where he is in the acceptance process, but in my personal view when someone is facing death, barring very few circumstances, the focus needs to be on them. I am sure that was not at all your intent, and you wanted to be there for him but your note stating what you cannot do in a way may have shifted focus back away from whatever he is going through.

It is really hard to read, indeed, but you are right.
I've never experienced a death so close to me and in this way.
It wasn't right of me to expect support from him while he is in the last stage of his life, indeed. I totally didn't think of that.
I need to accept that my last goodbyes were when I last saw him in September, before BD, and that I'm already mourning a man who isn't even dead yet because at this time, I can't have a relationship with him due to what my H did. My FIL needs to spend the time he has left with his only child and be able to leave this Earth the way he wants to.
I've sent a short message to my H to have him forward my apologies to my FIL.
Me44

m
#24: December 23, 2023, 11:18:44 AM
It is really hard to read, indeed, but you are right.
I've never experienced a death so close to me and in this way.
It wasn't right of me to expect support from him while he is in the last stage of his life, indeed. I totally didn't think of that.
I need to accept that my last goodbyes were when I last saw him in September, before BD, and that I'm already mourning a man who isn't even dead yet because at this time, I can't have a relationship with him due to what my H did. My FIL needs to spend the time he has left with his only child and be able to leave this Earth the way he wants to.
I've sent a short message to my H to have him forward my apologies to my FIL.

I am so glad you heard it the way it was intended. I really totally understand how you feel and how hard it is. Its loss compounded on loss.

I am curious why not send the message directly to your FIL and MIL? I only say that because your H is not a good or accurate conduit, they may appreciate hearing it directly from you.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

I
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Trust the process.
#25: December 23, 2023, 12:25:06 PM
I am curious why not send the message directly to your FIL and MIL? I only say that because your H is not a good or accurate conduit, they may appreciate hearing it directly from you.

I know... I was in doubt at first. But my FIL specifically asked me to not contact him again and to leave the family in peace. So, I feel obliged to give the message through my H and yes, there's a chance that he won't forward the message (properly). So be it  :-X
Me44

I
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Trust the process.
#26: December 24, 2023, 06:50:41 AM
When I was in church this morning, I received a long text from my H after that whole FIL situation yesterday. He added way more than just his response to the FIL situation... responding to things I e-mailed him months ago, in the first weeks after BD. I'll translate the best I can (in italic are my additional comments):

"Inanna" (obviously, I'm not using my real name, but he used my nickname for the first time since BD),
A long message for you.
I was really startled by the way you started sending me messages yesterday (my rant about his FIL). Without a trigger from me, out of the blue. I sincerely didn't know what happened.
I can certainly not vouch for what my father replied; that is not my responsibility. But then to say that my father is a toxic person, I really didn't enjoy reading that. I don't think he is because he chooses me. But alright, I can see what happened there. And I don't blame you. So let's put that behind us. I will forward your apology to him.
The reason why I didn't respond yesterday is because you once taught me not to react from my emotions. So, I slept on it.
But there are a few things that I want to share with you.

It was a very heavy week for me. On Monday and Tuesday, I was in B. (the city where he works) and I came home with a cold. Wednesday to the vet, and I had to bite through and wear a face mask. Friday to the medical check-up with my dad: everything is okay. I'm glad I feel better now and that next week will be less busy.

The reason why I haven't seen the dogs is that I'm scared of the aftermath. Probably unjustly but I do feel the fear. Every time I send you something or when I see you, I sometimes get really unpleasant messages from you. Like yesterday. And again, I can understand that you're mad; I would be too. But I find it unpleasant.
So, I'm avoiding that at the cost of myself and the dogs; I do miss them though. And again: I don't blame you because I understand you're feeling anger and grief and I understand you need to express that. But I'm trying to trigger as little as possible. And not sending anything isn't good either.

Mentally, I'm doing really good. And physically as well now. I don't have depression or any signs of depression. I discussed that in detail with my therapist and the supervision therapist of the group therapy. Both are independently agreeing that I don't have depression. So, I would appreciate it if you stopped pointing in that direction. I get that that is your truth and I respect that, but I'm truly doing okay. (He stated a few weeks ago that he did have depression before BD, but that seems to be all solved now — never mind the limerence.) And I promise you and promised you many times before that I will let you know if anything changes.

Both therapists agreed that the way that I ended our relationship was not okay. But they also both said that this is often the only way for someone to leave. And they both say that they can see that I truly regret that I didn't have a conversation earlier with you about how I wasn't happy. But that is about me and not about you or us. And yes, I made my choice and I'll stick to it and it won't change. I understand that that is really hard for you, almost impossible. But from both therapists, I needed to make that clear to you. That I do recognize your pain, anger, and sadness. And that I'm the only cause of that, only me.
At the same time, I told both of my therapists that I admire the way you handle this. And that is not a lie but the truth.

I continue to go to the therapist and I continue working on myself. Although, now and then it also feels good to vent. 
It may sound weird and maybe you don't believe it and I can't blame you, but I do want to wish you a merry Christmas and a nice end of the year.

Why am I posting this here? Well, I'm taking the advice to come here first, to prevent myself from reacting to him.
I don't know what to make of it. Do you?

I feel like saying: whatever you say, dude.
But I'm not planning on replying.
I read the words but the person who wrote them, I don't recognize. To me, it sounds like a small kid who needed to be taken by the hand by his therapists to make sure I would believe it's all okay, everything is okay, he's okay, and so I need to be okay, too. And it's all about him and how he feels and what he does with what happened, of course  :o Because yeah... he's Mr. Nice Guy even when he makes mistakes or does wrong. I should be lucky with a guy like that. Everyone forgave him and so should I. Because yeah... "it is often the only way for someone to leave a relationship." So, I guess, that's that for him. And so it should be okay for me, too, right?  ::)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 07:00:08 AM by Inanna »
Me44

Me & my MLC man
#27: December 24, 2023, 08:25:11 AM
Please do not reply.
Why? Your emotions are probably running hot, understandably. And you doubtless feel a terrible urge to defend yourself and argue with what he says. But, most importantly, it will not change the situation and it will not help you feel better for more than about 5 minutes.

Regardless of the reasons and how it was done, you have been betrayed and discarded. That’s a truly horrible feeling and probably worse at this time of year. Do whatever you need to do to comfort yourself, as if you were a small child or a wounded animal. Tuck his email away, don’t look at it again for a few days/weeks/months. Take his words at face value, act accordingly and grieve your losses…..but accept it as his current truth not your truth. If it changes, you’ll know. If it doesn’t, you will find your own way to move forward regardless.

Fwiw - and he writes more cogently than most MLCers lol - I would summarise his message as I wasn’t happy and this was the easiest way for me to deal with it, and I avoid difficult things as much as I can….

More articulate than most but the core message is much the same as the standard MLC playbook imho….avoidance, a magic external happy fix, me me and my terrible cold, some grown ups said I had no choice, the problem is less what I did and more your reaction to what I did,  I care but not enough that it really hurts me to hurt you….

It’s a big note of self-justification, no more and no less, and he feels interestingly entitled to you paying attention to what he wants to ‘share’ while doubtless being sublimely uninterested in listening to anything you might want to share, right?
Pfft to him and his wordy words  >:( >:(

Take him at his word. Let him lie in the bed he has made. Reduce contact as much as you can. There is no question here requiring your answer….do not reply. Nothing useful to be done with anyone who lacks this much empathy imho.

Hug from here x
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 08:29:17 AM by Treasur »
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

I
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Trust the process.
#28: December 24, 2023, 11:04:23 AM
Thank you, Treasur, for taking the time to reply. Very interesting also to have an outsider's perspective.
Let this be my accountability: I will not reply  8)
Me44

#29: December 24, 2023, 01:49:26 PM
Thank you, Treasur, for taking the time to reply. Very interesting also to have an outsider's perspective.
Let this be my accountability: I will not reply  8)

Reducing contact is not a magic fix and it’s ok to change your mind as events unfold too.

But for now i would give yourself the Christmas gift of a break from drama, chaos and the confusion that tends to come with interaction at this stage. Breathe. Enjoy some small pleasures that have nothing to do with your h. Count any blessings that you can in the spirit of the season. X

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.