Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story blinsided

a
  • Trial Subscriber
My Story blinsided
OP: January 07, 2024, 12:50:56 PM
My wife and and i have been together for 5 yrs and married for 2 yrs. i am 52 and she is 43. she blindsided me last Thursday saying she is filling for divorce. wants no counselling and said nothing i do or say will change her mind. i felt something was off 2 months ago but every time i would question her she said we were fine and said it was just her depression. she was still having sex with me even 3 days before the bombshell. she would act sweet and kind the day before and wrote me a nice birthday card last november saying how happy she was and what a great life we had. at the start of our relationship i told her that 2 other women blindsided me the first one being my first wife who acted like everything was fine and i caught her cheating on me right after christmas. the 2nd girl i was engaged to wrote me a text saying how much she loved me and couldnt wait to marry me then 3 hrs later broke up with me through email. i begged my wife to please communicate any issues and not blindside me like they did. she promised she would talk to me and go to counselling if things got bad. i made the mistake of not maintaining my friendships during our marriage and i put all my time into my wife and kids. i only have my 88yr old mom left who is in bad health and my 10 yr old daughter left. my daughter is from another relationship. my daughter and stepdaughter are super close to me and each other. this is going to crush them. my wife doesnt seem to care her mind is made up. i feel so alone and isolated. i am in agony and the only thing keeping me going is my daughter. i will not leave her without a father.

to make things worse i have been on long term disability and only make 60% of my jobs salary. i feel like i cant afford to live now and i need major back surgery. i suffer from a panic disorder and anxiety. my wife has major depression. i dont want to die but i dont want to be alive. i am so afraid its going to be too much to handle.

blinsided
#1: January 07, 2024, 02:10:07 PM
Hi aphexx welcome to the club. I am sorry that you are in this situation. I have been where you are now 4 years ago and I know how difficult it is. I even tried to do something bad to myself after my BD. In hindsight, I regretted hurting myself. Nobody is worth taking your life. If there is someone you have to protect at all cost at this moment, it is YOU. You mentioned you have a daughter, she needs you. You will get this through. I know how hard it is to believe that statement now but believe me I was once in your situation now and I made it through. If you feel so bad, go outside and take a walk. The fresh air will do you good.

Do you have a therapist? I'm asking because you mentioned you have panic disorder and anxiety. If not, perhaps you can find one. I don't know where you are and how insurances work in your country. Counselling helps a lot, I can attest to that. It helps because you can talk about everything without fearing of being judged. You also mentioned that you don't have friends anymore. Perhaps you can try and contact your old friends. I did that and to my surprised they were very happy that I contacted them. Friends helped me a lot. And don't forget, you are here now. You will gain virtual friends here that will help you keeping going. A lot of the people here helped me a lot when I was in my darkest moments.

Keep going my friend. We are here for you.
Me 43 at BD
H    45 at BD
Married 11 yrs at BD, no kids,
BD May 2019 (I moved out Nov 2019)
EA or PA with ex gf (not sure), H spent 3 nights with the hoe during our vacation in July 2019, it was a friendly encounter according to H
H wanted D April 2020 seeing suspected OW2 (divorced with two kids) and 2 years older than him, H didn’t file the D
Clinging boomerang
6/21 H moved in with me; kicked him out 01/22
H turned into a vanisher, wants a Divorce, OW 3 (16 years younger and extreme sporty)
14.11.22 Divorce final, I'm done

a
  • Trial Subscriber
blinsided
#2: January 07, 2024, 03:05:23 PM
thank you for the hope and kind words. my daughter defiantly keeps me going. im starting with a councilor tuesday. and im reaching out to my old friends and trying to make new ones. i look forward to making some friends on here hopefully.

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
Re: blinsided
#3: January 07, 2024, 03:40:23 PM
I’m sorry as well .. I’m in a similar boat that continues to take on water. The advice / strength you will find is unrivaled. I’m glad you found this so soon. It sucks - no other way around it - and I’m only a few months ahead of you so I get it. Post often - ask questions - and read as
Much as you can on this sight amongst others ..

I have 2 kids as well and that’s my only concern. I will add that all the advice you get here is going to be opposite of what you think you should do, which is gonna be very difficult to execute on. I finally come that conclusion and feel much better about everything. In fact, I’ve actually gone on the offensive for a change.

I’ll also say, remember this, none of this is your fault and there’s nothing you could’ve done to prevent it. This is the crazy stuff for movies that people don’t understand unless they’ve been through it, so don’t beat yourself up over it.

I’m sorry but you’re in the right place my friend …
You’ll bee said but will eventually get strong 💪

a
  • Trial Subscriber
blinsided
#4: January 07, 2024, 03:56:41 PM
thanks for the words of hope. And good luck on your own journey.

blinsided
#5: January 08, 2024, 12:11:09 AM
Hi aphexx13,

And so sorry for you have ended up here. The following months will be hard as hell, but eventually you will learn to appreciate it all as you will become best version of you.

Re, anxiety.... What helped me a lot was understanding that anxiety on itself is neither good or bad. It is just unchanneled energy that easily gets wasted into things like pacing, overthinking etc. Refocusing that energy into something useful, say coming up with a plan for better life for you and your child, there's your gamechanger.... Changing behaviour and patterns is not easy (and will take months of practice), but you will get there. And you will eventually build a good life regardless of what happens with your marriage.

Alvin
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

a
  • Trial Subscriber
blinsided
#6: January 08, 2024, 06:32:02 AM
thanks for the hope. i just found out that my wife is already dating after she said she wanted to be alone for a while to work on herself. another lie. im angry at myself because i thought she would miss me and change her mind. im also angry that she couldnt even wait to get divorced.

l
  • Trial Subscriber
  • Ready to be finished
Re: blinsided
#7: January 08, 2024, 07:52:30 AM
Sorry to hear that but not a shocker .
Some of the best advice I found here was
Don’t believe anything they say and only 50% of what they do.

They will lie about things that aren’t even important. It’s the strangest thing imaginable. You have to start to expect the worse so your not surprised and the when revealed the pain is much less.

Sorry and I know it’s hard - the sooner you accept your wife is no longer your wife the better of you will be emotionally and physically.

a
  • Trial Subscriber
blinsided
#8: January 08, 2024, 11:25:19 AM
Thanks for the support.  I'm starting to realize that.

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
blinsided
#9: January 11, 2024, 08:18:31 PM
Welcome to the club no one really wanted to be a part of, but since we have found ourselves in the LBS club, it's the best club to end up in, since it was inevitable.

Don't be surprised if your wife wasn't already dating before her big divorce reveal.  Many humans in crisis do that.  Lie and say they want to alone for a while, meanwhile having someone already waiting in the wings.

You did not cause this and you cannot fix this.  She is running from herself and the rest of you are collateral damage.  Be there for your daughter, and if you can, for your step-daughter as well.  If you haven't had a chance, read the link in my signature "Survival Instructions for Newbies"

Post here as often as you need.  We have LBS around the globe and someone is bound to be up.

Take care of you.  Put on your oxygen mask.  Try and eat something or drink (smoothies, protein shakes) when you can, drink plenty of water, go for walks.  You may need some melatonin for a while to help you sleep. 
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.