Skip to main content

Author Topic: Resources Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 9

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Resources Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 9
#130: September 07, 2023, 10:00:16 AM
https://psyche.co/ideas/many-people-not-only-survive-mental-illness-they-thrive

“In our study, 67 per cent of people with any past mental illness had reached symptomatic recovery, meaning they no longer met the diagnostic criteria for a particular illness…

objectively, having depression does not foreclose the possibility of future happiness…”

I got a little less hopeful towards the end of reading this, but still overall positive. I think even though my anxiety lies to me in times of turmoil or high stress, I know deep down that this version of me has a bumpy road to travel, but it’s not me forever. It’s not the totality of me. My core being is frankly nothing to scoff at and it’s solid enough a foundation to make continued rebuilding worthwhile.
For those with spouses in Crisis, my hope is they realize the same.

(*Of course, the stigma of calling it“mental illness” will be offputting for many. I certainly don’t enjoy classifying myself as mentally ill because of the misconceptions surrounding that term. But cPTSD is a mental health condition, as is ptsd, depression, anxiety. I couldn’t treat my breast cancer on my own by simply doing lots of reading and introspection, and I can’t treat cPTSD that way either - although it does enhance treatment. For those in crisis with underlying depression, anxiety, etc., I truly believe professional intervention is necessary for true recovery. Jmho, I’m no expert on any of it, not even the stuff I’m dealing with myself.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 10:12:13 AM by Nas »
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

M
Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 9
#131: September 07, 2023, 02:30:47 PM
I found this website extremely helpful in terms of dealing with our MLCers.  During the MLC years, they genuinely do become full blown narcissists, even if they were never like this before
I think that is why we are in our own spinning and cycling. The avoidant sweet and understanding, supportive spouse switches  after BD to become the narcissist spouse with no empathy. Your beat friend you told everything to becomes the one person you can’t talk to. It takes a while to grasp it all.

NAS— I had no idea you were still legally married to your vanisher. Not sure how I missed that.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#132: September 08, 2023, 06:57:02 AM
I subscribe to Bishop Jake's Blog and there are times that his articles have some seriously wise words.

If you are not of a religious bent, feel free to skip these or to skim over the religious aspects of them....

https://jakeowensby.com/2023/09/01/mending-frayed-relationships/     Here is the first one
https://jakeowensby.com/2023/09/08/the-forgiveness-process/ and the second in the series
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

• Mentor
#133: September 08, 2023, 07:33:44 AM
Thank you Ursa, both articles speak to my heart.

I have been reminded, many times of how I am to love and forgive my husband. The peace I have now I believe is because I can trust God. That faith is indeed a gift that I am fortunate to have had since I was a very young child.

Thank you for sharing. I shall subscribe to these devotions as well as the others that "feed me".
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

N

Nas

#134: September 10, 2023, 04:45:15 PM
I don’t love this poem as a poem, but its simple message is one many of us probably wish we’d embraced a lot younger.

People Aren’t Homes

Child,
why did no one
ever teach you
that you cannot
turn people
into homes?

People are rivers,
ever changing,
ever flowing.
They will disappear with
everything you put
inside them.

Still,
your home does
have a heartbeat.
But it isn’t one
locked in
anyone else’s
chest.

Just
look inside
your own.

~Nikita Gill
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

W

WHY

#135: September 12, 2023, 04:21:17 AM
These comments are really an eye opener for those that do not understand depression. 

https://reddit.com/r/AskReddit/s/lXzzCgC4EG

W

WHY

#136: September 19, 2023, 09:52:47 PM
Has there been any examples of MLCers reading something like Jim Conway’s Middle Passage? 

Any stories to share?

N

Nas

#137: September 20, 2023, 05:04:41 PM
Sitting with some big emotions, I started thinking about the difference between analyzing feelings and feeling feelings. This is a longish but interesting article. I like the coin metaphor: pain is the flipside of what we value. 
(Avoiding feelings is something most MLCers could teach a PhD level course in.)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/harnessing-principles-change/202010/the-key-skill-we-rarely-learn-how-feel-your-feelings

“Our initial emotional response is often a complex jumble of primary feelings (that reflect what’s actually happening), plus secondary emotions (often related to distorted interpretations), mixed together with all of our avoidance behaviors (our reactive struggle against all of the feelings). We have to develop the muscle and courage to stay with this uncomfortable welter of emotions in order to unpack what is important and meaningful…”

🎶 https://youtu.be/MXyGEw8lHG8?si=ctkF4kE-Ioo1Y4rZ

N

Nas

#138: September 23, 2023, 06:50:45 AM
https://psyche.co/ideas/when-nietzsche-said-become-who-you-are-this-is-what-he-meant

“The self we become is ultimately made, not found.”

That sentence jumped out at me almost like it was yelling. It seems so obvious but it’s such a distinction that imo people confuse too easily.  I’m trying to actively build myself from something that was never recognized enough to thrive. There’s people who remake themselves, rebuild themselves, reconstruct themselves and I’m so impressed by that. It’s a process, it’s work, it takes a concerted effort. It’s not like these entitled children in adult bodies who run around doing whatever they want, taking whatever they want, justifying everything they do under the guise of “finding themselves.” The very phrase “finding myself” denotes something that just happens  without any effort, like some magic transformation - wait long enough and one day, poof, the ground shakes, a puff of smoke clears, and then suddenly “happiness” just comes to you. Another fairytale, another delusion. Nothing just happens.

“It can sometimes appear that the ideal life would be a smooth one, complete with stable income and harmonious relationships. But Nietzsche would say that it is greatness of the soul that constitutes the good life, not pleasure, comfort or external success. The development of one’s unique virtues is a process that inevitably involved overcoming the resistance in yourself and in your environment, and learning to be comfortable with discomfort.”

🎶 https://youtu.be/3LXHE9Q1JRk?si=-gyM5Rgv8xVy1oqG

I remember when the world was a little girl
Every corner turned leading back to her
Flowing like a stream on a rolling stone
Certain there was nothing changing

J
#139: September 23, 2023, 06:40:33 PM
“The self we become is ultimately made, not found.”

Thanks, Nas. I'm going to print that out and put it somewhere I'll remember it.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.