Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story My tormented wife and her MLC tragedy

p
My Story My tormented wife and her MLC tragedy
OP: March 13, 2022, 01:04:26 AM
It is hard to write this down, my LBS journey just started, up to now it follows the manual almost to the book, BD is just two months ago.
Married for almost 9, together for 9 more, one daughter of 8. I want to share my perspective on what is happening, to call for compassion to our MLCs in all the hurt we experience and ask for your advice.

This is her and my story...

Both being neglected in our childhood, taking quite some trauma, we ended up an a codependent marriage with several attachment issues. She always struggled with who she was, her work and the money that came along with it. I guess to a lesser extent, the same holds for me. We had conquered hell together, from both of my parents who died in 6 months, reconciling with her runaway dad, processing a major business failure. It felt like we were invincible together. I was wrong.

Her MLC started without me noticing, probably over a year ago when she was redrawing by playing computer games and needing daily 'me' time. In november, the realization her sister who is a terminal cancer patient was going to die later this year has probably sparked the crisis.
Early this year she announced she fell in love with OM she met at work, gave me the "I love you but not like a husband any more" speech and announced divorce 7 days later, trying to arrange all practical and legal aspects of our marriage (trying to coerce me into agreeing with  a divorce agreement) in 3 weeks, without even opening up for a real talk with me. Probably the most hurtful thing someone did in my life. I told her, I didn't up to that moment, I fell in love 4 years earlier so I understood how she felt, although my choices were a step towards our marriage (didn't act on it, and worked covertly on our relationship instead).

She left our house one week ago, is suffering in ways I cannot imagine and is all over the place. Even after just one week out of our house she is backtracking a bit already: I went for a walk with her to discuss 'us' and practicals as she had refused the legal agreement she pushed for because financially she didn't like it. The moment she saw me she started crying. She told me she was confused, was emotionally at her end and said that she did not see how our marriage could be restored but seemed to open up for the possibility of that scenario. She didn't want to sell the house any more "not to take any harsh irreversible decisions" We had a walk and a 2 hour talk, the first one in our lives, which felt genuine. She told me (didn't ask) the affair she had was confusing. She knew she was hurting everyone around her. She said she missed our conversations, I felt like family and she was happy to see me and told me I could reach out if I wanted to go for another walk.

I know the current advice is to take distance and GAL (which I'm trying to do to the best of my efforts, going out, seeing a psychologist, adding new routines to life), but the speed in which things are changing from BD, moving out to 'first doubt' in just 2 months, seems wrong. Especially since - and this will sound crazy - I get that she feels so bad, that an affair feels like the solution. To be clear, I'm not ok with it, but in a f***** up way, I do understand it, I feel bad for her.

So, here I am, not knowing what to do. Do I distance or do I engage (e.g. to go for a walk in 4 weeks or so to hear how she is doing). I see her every week as well, when we bring the stuff for our daughter to each other's place, so that makes it extra hard.

My 'ideal' scenario is that we rebuild ourselves, if feasible together, so we can start a new chapter in our journey. I know I cannot hope, but the heart wants what the heart wants I guess. 

Any perspectives or experiences on this 'traumatic rocket MLC process' and how to handle it would be very welcomed.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:11:59 AM by palladian »

My tormented wife and her MLC tragedy
#1: March 13, 2022, 04:09:31 AM
I am very sorry that you have to find yourself here, Palladian, but glad you found us so early and found the courage to share this awful situation with a bunch of strangers.

Nothing about this situation will feel ‘right’ to you perhaps for quite a long time. And early on, our normal and natural instinct is to step towards someone we love who seems to be unravelling in front of our eyes. Which means that a lot of the hard-earned advice here probably feels counter-intuitive. Almost like writing with your left hand if you are right-handed.

We get that. We have all been there.
Which means we may have a perspective that you do not at the moment, but it also means we will respect your choices as you move forward even if you do not want to follow our advice lol.

The most important thing I want to say to you is that you will find your own way through this to the other side. It may not feel like that now and you may not be able to see what it looks like, and indeed HS people create different paths forward, but it will not always be the way it is right now. I don’t know what will happen to your wife or your marriage, but I know that there is something worth having on the other side of this.

I know the current advice is to take distance and GAL (which I'm trying to do to the best of my efforts, going out, seeing a psychologist, adding new routines to life),
Well, you are doing well so far.  :) these things matter bc, regardless of what happens in the future, your life has just been turned upside down. The impact of that can have a big effect on our physical and emotional health, although sometimes we are so concerned about our spouse that we forget to be concerned about ourselves as much. Basic self care - eating, sleeping, exercise, doing things that make you feel just a little bit more normal and a little bit better in yourself - matters. And a decent IC can allow us to feel heard and supported when our spouse is doing neither and folks in RL may simply not be able to understand our reality. So, well done, you  :)

but the speed in which things are changing from BD, moving out to 'first doubt' in just 2 months, seems wrong.

yup, that sounds very hard, a real rollercoaster. And it knocks us off balance doesn’t It? It takes a little while to adjust our lens from the old ‘normal’ to the reality of a new ‘not very normal’ that we don’t like, want or understand.

Especially since - and this will sound crazy - I get that she feels so bad, that an affair feels like the solution. To be clear, I'm not ok with it, but in a f***** up way, I do understand it, I feel bad for her.
Well, if you think there was some emotional co-dependency between you bc of your mutual FOO baggage, that makes sense. I think all LBS operate under a bit of a pendulum effect for quite a while until we find a place that feels more fitting to us and the situation. Most of us start by being much more concerned and empathetic towards our MLC spouse....then we tend to swing to the opposite end of emotions bc of the damage their actions cause and bc they often seem to have little concern for us or our kids.....and then, with time, we seem to swing back to a place somewhere closer to the middle. You will find your own place as time and events unfold.

So, here I am, not knowing what to do. Do I distance or do I engage (e.g. to go for a walk in 4 weeks or so to hear how she is doing). I see her every week as well, when we bring the stuff for our daughter to each other's place, so that makes it extra hard.
Fwiw - and others will come along to support you with their advice too - there are a couple of mindset shifts that all of us have to go through but struggle with . These will help you answer your own question, usually with a bit of trial and error involved  ::)

The first is that if your wife is in crisis, nothing much you do will make any constructive difference at all to her path or behaviour. You did not cause it, you can’t control it and you can’t protect her from the consequences of her own actions. You can’t nice her back, you can’t rescue her, you can’t influence how she thinks or feels or what she does. That’s a very hard thing to process after years of a shared life isn’t it? Most of us start trying and then slowly stop bc we experience the futility of it and hitting your head against a brick wall hurts after a while  :) and tbh trying to understand the (to us) inexplicable or ride the rollercoaster of someone else’s extreme emotional shifts is exhausting and can be a bit crazy-making. You don’t have to behave like a vindictive a$$hat, that’s true, but eventually you will be forced to accept the very real limits of your influence or control. Which is hard so i’m sorry. The good news is that it will feel easier when you climb off her rollercoaster  :)....tbh you will be busy enough dealing with your own  :)

The second is that going slower that it feels you should is often a helpful thing. Your nervous system is sending lots of signals now about action....if you do this, it will fix it or if you avoid doing this, it will fix it. All normal. That’s the lovely little bit of your reptilian brain trying to keep you and your family safe. Unfortunately, we don’t always do our best work when our inner lizard is in charge  :) We tend to flail around a bit, react rather than take a breath and respond. Your power and control over your own life and the wellbeing of your daughter normally lies in that space between stimulus and response. So we talk here about the Rule of 3 in decision-making and interaction with an MLC spouse.....teach yourself to go a little slower than feels right unless you or your daughter are in immediate risk.  So, for instance, bc you have a child, bc your wife has moved out, bc divorce has been mentioned, it would be wise to seek legal advice about your situation. But that does not mean you have to rush to act on it unless the legal advice is that you must.

The third shift in mindset is imho rebalancing the order of priority in your head and therefore in your choices about what you do or don’t do. This does not mean you have to stop caring about your wife, or even loving her. It just means that you have to care more about what happens to you and your daughter. You have to put YOU first bc your wife will not (or is unable to if you use an MLC lens)....these folks can be staggeringly self-absorbed and remarkably indifferent to anyone’s else’s needs or feelings....so your job is to make sure that anything you do starts with thinking FIRST if it serves you and/or your daughter best. Or indeed if it damages you. Your wife needs to come - at best- no more than third on your list of people to be considered. That’s going to probably feel very strange, quite wrong and even a bit selfish after a long marriage....but you are the cornerstone now of you and your daughter’s future wellbeing. Expecting an MLCer to do it is like expecting a cat to bark  ::)

I hope some bit of my thoughts are helpful. If not, please feel free to bin them lo..
Regardless, we are here to support you as you plot your own path.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

P
#2: March 13, 2022, 05:49:14 AM
Sorry you are here but there are some great people here with great advice.
Listen, read, vent .
And then go back to do it again.
I'm 8 months in and never thought I'd be saying this but it is not our problem.
The advice to detach is the most crucial.

I know it's hard but you will get there.
Believe in yourself!
"Trying to taste green with my elbow ;-)"

Im always reminded of that 80's movie.. War Games.. The best way to win is not to play the game.

Affair found out April 2021
BD June 23rd 2021
Moved out July 8th 2021(Same day our granddaughter was born)
Back with LO Dec 2021
Moved in with AP May 2022.

• Mentor
Re: My tormented wife and her MLC tragedy
#3: March 13, 2022, 06:48:14 AM
Welcome palladian,

You have already gotten some good advice I just wanted to say, please talk with a lawyer to get advice.  Just so you know where you stand if she does file.  Don't do it on your own.
Also don't make this easy for her.  Too many of us have done that.
If she wants a divorce let her do all the work.  No helping her, just protect yourself.
This is her divorce, not yours.  Sometimes they talk big but they don't have the energy to go through with it.  I wouldn't even discuss divorce with her.

If she brings it up you could just say..."I don't want a divorce, but I can't stop you if you do."

Keep an eye on your finances too.  These MLCer's can do some crazy things you'd never expect them to do.

I also wanted to add I think what you are hearing is guilt, not real remorse.
She telling you she feels bad she knows she is hurting everyone.  So wouldn't any rational person stop doing what they are doing?

You have a ways to go Pal, just try to stay calm and do not let her rush you.
I would also stop having relationship talks with her, they will get you no where.
But always be kind when you talk to her.  It sounds like you already are, good for you.

If she wants to go on walks. let her ask you.  Just keep in mind she believes she is in love with another man.  So you aren't going to change her mind.  She has to figure this one out for herself.

How is your daughter dealing with all this?
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

p
#4: March 13, 2022, 08:51:23 AM
First of all thank you Thunder, Pacman and Treasur for listening and your advice, it is really valuable to just share this. The good thing about experiencing past sh** is that I do have a resilience in me which I can build on, I also exercise daily since the entire episode. I struggle though with the daily routine, I was never truly involved in household planning and managing a kid which is not the easiest in town (love her to bits though)  is tough. So that will be my first GAL goal, mastering that. Financially, I was lucky enough for my family to buy me time, so I have about 6 months of living costs in savings, and I still work my own business, so that gives me some financial breathing room.

You have already gotten some good advice I just wanted to say, please talk with a lawyer to get advice.  Just so you know where you stand if she does file.  Don't do it on your own.

I already talked to two lawyers and financially she can do a lot of damage, that was one of the reasons why I went out for a walk with her yesterday to hear her perspective and avoid any legal proceedings (an amicable agreement would be best for me). She is a legal scholar, so am I, so that adds some spice to the story I suppose.

If she wants to go on walks. let her ask you.  Just keep in mind she believes she is in love with another man.  So you aren't going to change her mind.  She has to figure this one out for herself.

That is exactly what I told her yesterday: her words say I want you in my life, her actions say something else, I asked her how she could explain that. She obviously couldn't and started saying she was confused. I also explained how I felt and I could relate to falling in love with someone and how I handled it, I think her basic fear response is to run away, while mine is to fight I suppose. I also told her she will have to choose what she finds important: being in love or love, the nice feeling or the stepping towards the pain and trying to clean up this mess. She renamed love as 'warmth' and I guess since she never experienced it in her childhood, she cannot really relate. She was delusional about the type of relation we could have 'post crisis' but at the same time explained things about her self which she never shared. It felt like relation therapy in a way, also valuable for me, just to express learnings to her, so in doubt regarding those walks.

How is your daughter dealing with all this?

I learnt yesterday my wife hit my daughter because of exasperation (we agreed to never do that). I don't know yet how to navigate that, I first want to see her. In a way I am glad my wife told me, it means she trusts me regarding the kid and she expressed a lot of shame, and even though I find it appalling, for now if it doesn't turn into a pattern, I tend to let it slip on her end and work with my kid to comfort her and explain about why her mommy did that. In general though my kid is handling it badly, she behaves destructively and crashed last week asking me "what is wrong with me". Am going to manage this with school and a child psychologist.

Nothing about this situation will feel ‘right’ to you perhaps for quite a long time. And early on, our normal and natural instinct is to step towards someone we love who seems to be unravelling in front of our eyes. Which means that a lot of the hard-earned advice here probably feels counter-intuitive. Almost like writing with your left hand if you are right-handed.

I get what you are saying, and in 99.9% of the cases I would say you are right and would have distanced, however she is an avoidant, meaning she will not engage even if she is sorry / feels bad and I was surprised by the openness and 'truth' she spoke yesterday. So that's what makes me doubt.

I hope some bit of my thoughts are helpful. If not, please feel free to bin them lo..
Regardless, we are here to support you as you plot your own path.

They definitely were, thank you and I appreciate the support and feedback.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:45:39 AM by palladian »

• Mentor
#5: March 13, 2022, 09:30:47 AM
Palladian I'm glad you will have your daughter talk to a child psychologist.  That's a great idea.

Sometimes kids act out when their so young because they are confused, mad or afraid.
Or they possibly think the situation is their fault and think there is something wrong with them.

But I'm sure you know all this.   :)  A professional just knows how to deal with these issues and gets the children talking about their feelings in a safe environment.

I'm also glad you talked to a few lawyers.  Sorry if I missed that.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

#6: March 13, 2022, 10:12:20 AM
I get what you are saying, and in 99.9% of the cases I would say you are right and would have distanced, however she is an avoidant, meaning she will not engage even if she is sorry / feels bad and I was surprised by the openness and 'truth' she spoke yesterday. So that's what makes me doubt.

Most MLC folks are. It is why they run literally and metaphorically, isn’t it? MLCers are rather infamous for not using their grown up words as a first choice in problem-solving  ::)

You will decide for yourself, based on your own experience, the value (or not) of engaging with her or indeed the extent to which her words and actions align or how much/often what she says ‘openly’  on Tuesday holds water on Thursday  :)
Just be aware of any bit of you that might be thinking ‘well, she’s an avoidant so I don’t want to push her away more’ which is a pretty common LBS thought early on. Your experience may be different, PAL, in fact I hope it is but many of us found that these kinds of interactions turned out to not be very useful and often led to expectations that hurt us. The reality is you did not push her away....she chose to deal with whatever she feels by stepping away from you and your family.....so it’s unlikely that you can ‘pull’ her back if that makes sense, until or unless she chooses that and her actions fit her words.

I’m sorry too that her behaviour towards your daughter was/is not so great and i’m glad that you are taking steps to support and protect her. Unfortunately a lot of us found our spouses did things that were literally unimaginable to us before BD.....

There’s a saying somewhere to the effect that if you feel confused, they are not looking to really reconnect. If they do, you’ll know and can decide what to do about it then.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

p
#7: March 14, 2022, 01:30:25 AM
Treasur, thanks for the tough love. You are absolutely right. I noticed an expression of deep historical shame which she never shared with me, that is why I am open to see what is next. I sent her a looooong e-mail explaining how I handled my affair (because just until yesterday when I posted this, I didn't realize i got emotionally (not sexually) invested in someone else acting on me falling in love. I told her it will be her actions that determine whether we're going to survive this storm or whether I will not be any part whatsoever - apart from the formalities of our daughter - in her life. I told her to take her time. Really curious how that will pan out.

That being said, this morning, probably for the first time in my life, I realized that "I'm the prize" (I have two women already circling around a bit, so I will not lie, that is good fo the ego). What a difference a day makes, probably, will cycle back to being a total wreck tomorrow, but today is a good day  :)

• Administrator
#8: March 14, 2022, 08:59:56 AM
Welcome to the Board

You are in a good place.
Your H/W  is on his/her own journey.
You can not do anything to control this trip.
Come here and read or vent, we will listen.
Give your H/W space  he/she needs to heal himself/herself.

I would not ask him/her anything unless you can have no expectations.
Sometimes asking them questions will be thought of as pressure.
You do not want to do anything that can be thought of by your H/W as controlling or pressure.

Your need to start working on you.
There is nothing that you can do to help your H/W.

He/She has given you a gift.
It is time!!

Use the time wisely to make yourself a better person.
Look in the mirror to see what it is that you can improve.
Take care of yourself, breathe, eat, sleep, exercise.
GAL.

Read some books on depression. Both for yourself! And for H/W.
Believe none of what he/she says and 50% of what he/she does.

Read the resources from this site.
The links that are in my signature.

Detach. - The single most important thing you can do

The detach link and HB's 6 stages of MLC(rewritten from Jim Conway) located in the resources above.
http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=4.msg380#msg380

Developing Detachment
http://jamesjmessina.com/toolsforcontrolissues/developdetachment.html

http://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/self-focus_releasers_detach.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14712-developing-detachment/

RCR has asked everyone to keep to one thread until  that thread is 150 posts

Keep posting and asking questions and we will try to answer them.

Knowledge is Power - Sir Francis Bacon

p
#9: March 17, 2022, 07:43:43 AM
It has been a few days. I'm navigating really strange contrasting feelings. Earlier this week, I felt great, liberated and strong. Reached out to several people, including some women which I have always had a good connection with, probably, to feel I 'still have it'. I also reached out to my own past MLC crush (who is a total avoidant herself, my patterns seem to continue). It sounds like a sad escape as I'm writing this.

I saw a psychologist (the one that treats my wife for years as well by the way, thought it was beneficial for both) for the first time in my life yesterday, next week another session. Didn't do much to be honest, I know all the theories, have a pretty ok insight in myself. Maybe I'm just impatient, trust the process I guess?

Health is crashing, lost 11kg in 8 weeks even though I eat pretty normally. Sleep is an issue, taking a natural sleep med. Need new clothes. I have caught a flue today I think and I need to care for my 8 year old who is also ill. Have a doctors appointment tomorrow. My wife, I saw her yesterday in an online school meeting, to discuss the well-being and behavior of our kid. It's not going great with my daughter. I felt extremely angry at her, couldn't hide it. I know, I should do better. I later apologised over text that it is unfair to her pain. She told me she felt really sad about the behavior of our daughter. I have a long e-mail ready where I describe how I feel about our family, doubting whether or not to send it. I see her next week twice. I reached out to mother-in-law to tell her I saw doubts, I know shouldn't have done it.

I have way too many deadlines at work and I'm losing overview of priorities. I am in total firefight mode. Any practical advice to avoid a total crash is welcomed. 

What a sh** show.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.