Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Advertisements

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
Off-Topic Advertisements
OP: January 17, 2020, 09:00:45 AM
I am adding a note to the top of this post so that you see it first. A thank you to AlvinTheMaker for this link. If the ads are being serviced from google (not within my control, but most common), go to this link and you can set it for ads personalized to your preferences--according to your browsing. I know, it's still annoying ads, but it should help you to avoid the dating ads--I have that blocked in categories and it's not working.

Yes, as you have noticed, the forum now has ads running. Sorry, I don't like it either, but I need to pay to run this site, the main site and the blog and this is part of how I do it. I had them running a couple years ago through a plugin and then there was a problem between plugins after an upgrade or something. I actually did not think they would get them running on the forum this quickly, I've been working for two weeks to get the blog prepared, but since both the forum and blog are part of the same top domain, they got going at the same time. So sorry, I was  going to post something before to prepare you.

Instead of a plugin, I am using Ezoic. They are a company that manages the ads for me. When I first began running ads years ago, they were often tailored to the content of a site, now--from my own browsing experience--they are tailored to the personal user and where/what they browse.
But I still want and need feedback from you so I can report it to Ezoic about inappropriate ads.
Please use this thread to offer ideas or reports.

Thank You

PS
Previously a no-ads experience was part of the paid subscription. I am going to talk to Ezoic and ask at the simplemachines forum board about how to do that again. It may be different since these ads are coming through from Ezoic and not a plugin. I should be able to control it in user permissions, but it might be a different area of the permissions since it is from a different source now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:35:37 PM by Rollercoasterider »

Re: Advertisements
#1: January 17, 2020, 09:21:55 AM
Well I'd have to say my ads don't seem to be related to my searches or browsing.  I'm getting ads for dating sexy single moms, ads for moms who can be naughty, ads for singles dating apps, and the like.  None I have ever searched for or browsed as I'm not single, or interested in mom's or dads naughty or otherwise. 

And I seriously doubt the other lady I spoke with this morning about these ads has ever searched for or booked a gay mans cruise. 

Offensive and annoying.

Lp
if people won’t listen to you, there’s no point in talking to people. If they won’t listen, you’re just banging your head against a wall.

Sadly Ive used up all the time I had allotted to spend banging my head on the wall

#2: January 17, 2020, 09:27:57 AM
Mine have been home improvement, household related stuff - so seems to be matching my browsing profile.
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

• Mentor
#3: January 17, 2020, 09:44:39 AM
So far I haven't seen anything inappropriate, just dating sites, divorce attorneys (ironically my X's was one of them at one point), or how to save your marriage, etc.  I never read them.

Nothing I searched for, it seems more geared to what this site is about.  Marriage, divorce, getting your spouse back.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

m
#4: January 17, 2020, 10:37:30 AM
My immediate comment is this: the ads are understandable, but on Safari/Mac they are being served as the top 20% of the window and cover the bottom 10% of the window. So a little less than the 1/3 of the screen either has no content or is blocking content. That is irritating. It would be much better if they were on a column or at least grouped in one area.

Specially the bottom overlay on top of content.

I for one would be very happy to pay a subscription to not see these and support the cost of maintaining the site.

P.S. I just got served with an ad about "Top 10 reasons why Men pull away from Women." That may be a somewhat touchy subject here.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

• Administrator
#5: January 17, 2020, 10:45:32 AM
For the moment I can hit the X which gets rid of the ad until I click on something else.

So at least the whole screen is just the forum.

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#6: January 17, 2020, 01:13:24 PM
Thanks--especially LawProfessor since yours are not a browsing match and Thunder who sees stuff that makes sense with the site content.
Ezoic is new to me here--it's jsut sort of run itself at the main site and since that is not a community, I have not received feedback as to the content.
The person who is helping me now--just a support ticket though--said something about a categories app for ads as well as a blocker app and I'm supposed to ad a file to my root.
As I said before I thought there was more on my end to be done before ad began here at the forum and In had planned to get some of that done once the blog ads were going.
I'm going to go look at those aps now and read the instructions for the file to add to my root directory.

M
#7: January 17, 2020, 02:52:28 PM
I have apple for everything and it's like Marvin said, I only see a third of the screen. My ads don't have anything in them, just like a white veil.  It's very annoying. I guess I would pay a subscription to belong to the forum but I feel that might cut out many LBSes who are struggling financially but desperately need help.

I have seen the ads for years on the main site but they are on the side, and the articles once opened, take a while to read. With the forum, we click quickly from one page to the other, and it's continuously having to put them off, plus it takes for ever for the pages to open up. Really frustrating.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

#8: January 17, 2020, 04:49:52 PM
Opened HS and once again got NAUGHTY MOMS that want to date me.  Tried to upload a screenshot but of course that didn't work. 
if people won’t listen to you, there’s no point in talking to people. If they won’t listen, you’re just banging your head against a wall.

Sadly Ive used up all the time I had allotted to spend banging my head on the wall

#9: January 17, 2020, 04:51:24 PM
File was too large to upload but it wasn't too large to cover my screen when I opened HS.

N
  • MLCer Type: Clinging Boomerang
#10: January 17, 2020, 08:28:20 PM
If your goal is to save marriages it contradicts your message to be serving up dating ads.

I also am getting ads for things that I don't even know what they are. They seem to be industrial parts that one might purchase if one had a factory making some sort of unidentified equipment.

• Mentor
#11: January 17, 2020, 10:11:07 PM
The ads showing up for me are really not appreciated. Just opened to “ is he cheating on you” asking to  put his phone number in to find out. Like I need to be reminded. Very inappropriate for this site.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Mentor
#12: January 17, 2020, 10:38:13 PM
God wants to speak to me. I can help elect Trump allies, and the second I read about the who are they messaging ad, that was all I saw.

The ads appear in the middle of people's signatures and posts. I don't Mind ads at the sides, but these are invasive. And I'd have subscribed if I had ever seen that option in a sticky at the top of the forum, fwiw.

And the page loading is very slow
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:39:38 PM by OffRoad »
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

#13: January 18, 2020, 05:11:44 AM
This morning I was greeted by an ad for cute married local moms who want to meet me privately for fun.  Opened Treasur's thread and was told to read the top 3 texts men can't refuse from any woman.  Opened third thread and got ad for how to know when he's cheating via tarot.

If I'd come here as a newbie and seen this mess, I'd have assumed this site was a joke supporting such advertising. 

No way would I pay for anything that has anything to do with ads like those being shown.  It looks like a carnival fun land, all smoke, mirrors and snake oil salesmen. 

Not a great business move I'd say.

A
#14: January 18, 2020, 09:24:22 AM
Well I for one am certainly enjoying the outrageous inappropriateness of the ads I am receiving.

https://beirresistible.com

Be irresistible - and click on the above link to find out what secret phrases can man your man want you.

another goodie is - "Hot Sexy Mommas want to Date You"

then a Christian Gay site.

As an old time LBSer who has healed - I simply find these ads hysterically funny for the sheer awfulness.
But if these type of ads were present when I first came to HS - I would have left this site immediately.

Just for the record - I am not interested in dating a hot sexy momma, nor am I gay.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:27:41 AM by Airmid »

A
#15: January 18, 2020, 09:30:22 AM
And here is the latest ad --- really offensive for newbies -

Win your Ex's Heart: Make your ex beg for you to come back no matter why they left you
[/b]

N
#16: January 18, 2020, 01:40:43 PM
Here's one for the wtf file

Online nursing degree: quality supplier from China

Accompanied by an image of a mother fox and her pups

:o :o :o

A
  • Mentor
#17: January 18, 2020, 03:57:26 PM
Here's one for the wtf file

Online nursing degree: quality supplier from China

Accompanied by an image of a mother fox and her pups

:o :o :o

Hahaha,,, this one made me laugh out loud.   I wonder how many graduates from the the 'quality supplier from China' have actually found jobs.   Is the mother fox with pups related somehow?  lmao.

For the most part I'm getting ads related to travelling which is appropriate.   It also means my searches are being tracked since I do google a lot about travel.    I noticed that a paid subscription to HS is ad free, gives free access to coaching articles, and increases privacy.  One thing I am aware of that I don't like, it that a simple google search of 'Hero's Spouse recent posts' serves up very up to date information about what we all are posting.   I can't help wonder if this doesn't help some MLCers figure out where their spouses are posting.   All they have to do is get a list of common MLC websites and google 'recent posts' for each of them and get results instantly.   Most of us frequently post enough information at times that a MLCer might recognize us,,, then follow up,,, and confirm.  I'm considering the paid subscription if it will prevent my posts from appearing on a google search.

W
#18: January 18, 2020, 05:20:37 PM
Most of my adds relate to my interests which is just scary. Specific running events and concerts that I have shown an interest in. So my searches are also being tracked.

I have seen some travel ads and the only off the wall one was for pedophile priests with accompanying photos so we can help identify them and bring them to justice.

N
#19: January 18, 2020, 09:03:31 PM
I browse the site in Incognito mode. Perhaps that is why I am seeing random stuff that has nothing to do with me or my interests. I do see regionally appropriate ads sometimes, but that is based solely on my ip address obviously. Not my past browsing history.

M
#20: January 19, 2020, 05:06:36 AM
I have had the typical, How to Know if your spouse is cheating on you and why men pull away. Interesting one last night about What kind of sheep are you? I liked the one with the black and white swirls. Somehow the internet knows what kind of car I drive and that it is past its prime. Other very random ones about how to mix concrete and bacteria taking over the earth.
BD and moved out 9/2017
M 30 years at BD, together 34

N
#21: January 19, 2020, 06:11:37 AM
Other very random ones about how to mix concrete and bacteria taking over the earth.

;D ROTFLMAO.

Maybe you should go check if your shower needs scrubbing or you have loose paving stones in your backyard that need reattaching with concrete. Maybe they know something about you that you don't.

N
#22: January 19, 2020, 06:34:28 AM
I was just on another site and saw an ad for this t-shirt. My first thought was this ad really is the kind that should be on HS:
https://6dollarshirts.com/no-youre-right-lets-do-it-the-dumbest-way-possible-because-its-easier-for-you?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYz01fCP5wIVBoqnCh3q-QiTEAEYASAEEgIwm_D_BwE

M
#23: January 19, 2020, 08:05:50 AM
I keep getting ads about the benefits of eating eggs. ;D Nothing at all to do with my browsing history. And quite honestly, it makes me smile when I see the ad.

#24: January 19, 2020, 08:29:08 AM
m.myblackpartner.com/ppc.php?dynamicpage=mbp_mlp_5st_memb_t&utm_source=ppc&utm_medium=mob&utm_campaign=content&utm_term=usa&utm_campaignid=1356218609&ppc_cp=3000000110&clkid=Cj0KCQiAmZDxBRDIARIsABnkbYS4Y97gEJeCEgRv3ERwSEcPBXjBadVzyi-zplzkxpyLinNOfi2iNqkaAszzEALw_wcB&utm_campaignid=1356218609&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmZDxBRDIARIsABnkbYS4Y97gEJeCEgRv3ERwSEcPBXjBadVzyi-zplzkxpyLinNOfi2iNqkaAszzEALw_wcB

Well this is the ad that greeted me this morning.

• Mentor
#25: January 19, 2020, 11:36:00 AM
I'm like NYM and browse incognito.it does concern me what the "random" ads are, though. So many places will set you up with only "family"appropriate ads or certain types of ads. I wonder if that is a possibility  with this company.

Teen rehab. I can guarantee I've never browsed for that.....

N
#26: January 19, 2020, 01:48:39 PM
I just came from mego's thread to here and this ad was under offroad's post

https://www.ndsbs.com/assessment/mental-health-assessment

s
#27: January 20, 2020, 06:12:59 PM
I’m also getting a mix of dating, cheating, and mental health ads.   I understand the need to pay for the site but these would have scared me off as a newby AND they are intrusively places on the page.  The forum is also not behaving the same as it did before.  I used to be able to click “all” pages and then “go down” to see the most recent post but now that series of clicks puts me at the bottom of page 1 of 3 or 4 no matter how many pages there are.  This means I can either only select the last page and scroll on my phone screen a lot or I can select all and scroll A LOT on my phone screen.  There has to be a better way.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#28: January 21, 2020, 09:54:25 AM
I'm still working with Ezoic. I've mentioned the issue and they have not responded to it...because they are focused in their responses on another issue I think. We are still trying to fix an issue with a file integration and that might help with what ads you are seeing. I did ask that they respond to that question about inappropriate content and placement of ads, hopefully they will and I won't have tokeep harping on them about it.
Someof the problem as I see it seems to be that they have the blog and forum as a sigle unit when they are putting placeholders for where the ads go. This makes no sense for the different platforms. They need to treat them separately.

#29: January 22, 2020, 02:16:07 AM
Rollercoasterider... I hope things go well with Ezoic. I do have some professional experience with them.  Like every company of this type, all they truly seem to care is maximizing the profit regardless of means (and I get, it brings bread and butter for them).  For some websites/owners it is all ok, for others it can be kiss of death. So my professional advice (and that is coming from place of 20+ years with digital advertizing) is to proceed carefully.

As you so well identified there are two isses at work: ad location and ad contents.

Ad location is something you and Ezoic should work together to find the optimal solution.  And that is pretty much what Ezoic is specialized in doing... That said, they don't know your audience the level you do. So talk to your account manager (contact) at Ezoic, and make him/her understand the differences between casual/new visitors and return visitors, as well as your personal wishes.  If you don't interact with them, they will run a number of pointless A/B-tests (from agressive to less-agressive) that are guaranteed to annoy regular users to extremes.

What you and Ezoic cannot control much is ad contents.  Fortunately that is something each of us can manage on personal level.  For example if the ads Ezoic is serving are coming from Google Ads Network (as they oftentimes are), one-time visit at https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated will allow Google to know what kind of ads you are interested of.  It will make the ads "less annoying" and more targeted to each's personal interests.  This in turn will likely mean each of us will click the ads more often, and that way would provide more revenue/money to keep this place up and running.  Maybe this is something that should be added to "welcoming package" everyone on the forum receives from the OldPilot - just a thought.

Alvin
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

A
#30: January 22, 2020, 08:49:39 AM
I just wanted to report that today the ads I get on this website are all about Gay Men's Cruises.  These ads are complete with scantily clad overweight middle aged men in skimpy bikini's. 
Such a turn off - you would think that at least they would show the buff bodies of some well tanned, oiled 20-something year olds!

• Mentor
#31: January 23, 2020, 06:28:35 AM
I am getting multiple ads,  3 in a row across one part of the screen and two stacked on one another on another part of the screen. The ads flick into my line of vision so there is this constant "activity" each time I click to read another thread.

There are ads on other internet sites I go to but not like this. They are usually on the right side not on the top and bottom. They also don't cover part of the main site the way these do.( Both top and bottom).

The ads actually cover over the threads and I have to scroll up to be able to read them.

Not liking this at all.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:31:56 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

• Mentor
#32: January 23, 2020, 06:45:26 AM
Oh that sounds awful, xyzcf.

Everyone must be seeing different things.  I only get them at the top. and nothing inappropriate at all.
Just regular ads.

I wonder why this is.
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

• Mentor
#33: January 23, 2020, 07:03:17 AM
I don't know...perhaps because I am using a MAC?

D
#34: January 23, 2020, 07:06:58 AM
I don't know...perhaps because I am using a MAC?

The browser makes a big difference...
M=51
W=47
D=8
BD Feb 17 Thinking of divorce
Atomic BD June 17 Spying revealed OM at work
Still home.  Threatened to leave several times and has asked me to leave about a dozen. 
Says divorce proceedings will start Jan 18.
She has scheduled mediation Feb 7,  2018
I moved out March 16, 2018
Several mediations, mostly instigated by me.  Foot dragging by STBXW.  Nothing filed. Yet.
5/2019 STBXW filed D behind my back despite signed agreement to mediate.
I retain attorney.
STBXW still hasn't told me and no further action.
Elephant in the room has been addressed.  No further action atm.  Weighing my options.
12/16/19  She files financial paperwork.  Divorce proceeding.

• Mentor
#35: January 23, 2020, 07:26:24 AM
I use Internet Explorer.

H
#36: January 23, 2020, 07:54:22 AM
Air
There are buff middle aged men too, lol.
I have ads all over mine also. I thought it was just me.

#37: January 23, 2020, 08:18:39 AM
Well I agree with XYZCF.  Just as she described on my phone, though.  Getting more than a little tired of being offered hot sexy moms who want to be naughty with me.  Tried to address the ad preferences and am now getting Ebony moms who want to teach me how to be naughty.  I have more pictures of women in slinky dresses showing their cleavage and big behinds than I have HS content on each page. 

For the record, I already know how to be naughty and it's not with anyone's mom.  And why can't I at least have an ad for sexy men who want to be naughty with me?   ::). How about a few ads objectifying men just for fairness? 

Seriously though, ads objectifying women and dating sites is not a great fit for a forum supporting standing for ones marriage. 

And this is my work phone.  So no browsing history to work from. 

I'm not liking this either.  It looks really terrible to new visitors.  What sort of cheapy ad service is this that it's so full of ads like these?  I don't get this garbage on any other forums or online places I visit. 

Lp

H
#38: January 23, 2020, 12:26:56 PM
Mmmmnñnnn
Seems the ads will be ok IF
They are Sexxy, oiled up, buff men in their 20's that want to be naughty.
Problem solved.

H
#39: January 23, 2020, 12:30:00 PM
Oops
I forgot a good tan.

#40: January 23, 2020, 12:52:32 PM
Well, we are just trying to be fair and balanced. 

Helpingme, are you volunteering to help keep things fair and balanced? Perhaps you have some knowledge and expertise being naughty?

H
#41: January 23, 2020, 01:04:22 PM
Ha, fair and balanced is good. 
It just hurt my feelings that middle aged guys were beat out by guys in their 20s.  Lol.
Lp, I just had to throw some humor in.

#42: January 23, 2020, 01:14:07 PM
Now my feelings are hurt that you won't help out in my quest for fair and balanced. 

If you would, perhaps Watcher and Standing Strong and Ready would help as well since they are all athletes?! 

I'm just saying, well, a knight in shining armour helps out a damsel(s) in distress, right?

#43: January 23, 2020, 02:50:45 PM
Just got one about an opportunity to file a lawsuit for injury in an airbag malfunction. "Airbag Malfunction" is probably the one thing I haven't called my ex's crisis, but I find it to be incredibly accurate!

I tend to get a mixed bag of "why men pull away", "how to be irresistible", chat rooms for girls who are waiting for me, trips to Belize, how to stop a midlife crisis (run off to Belize?), and how to install an ad blocker to stop seeing ads (which I would guess is expensive malware). Getting them at the top, and a window I have to close on each page at the bottom. On PC on desktop and laptop.

s
#44: January 23, 2020, 03:31:25 PM
Seriously, “airbag malfunction” needs to become our new euphemism for MLC.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

A
#45: January 23, 2020, 07:50:58 PM
Air
There are buff middle aged men too, lol.
I have ads all over mine also. I thought it was just me.

Helping - I am willing to possibly consider some buff middle aged men - are you volunteering to stop at the tanning salon and oil up for a photo op?

H
#46: January 24, 2020, 03:10:17 AM
Lp
I have a damsel in distress. Atm I can't help her. So apparently I'm not that shining. So I'll keep trying.
Air
I'll have to decline. If you or any other woman has high expectations that there is hot, oiled up, and tan middle age guys? I don't want to be the guy that ruins it.

It's Friday. Yall ladies have a wonderful weekend.

I do see everyone's point. The ad above the message box as I was typing was how to tell if your spouse is unfaithful.  Lord knows I had enough examples of that.

A
#47: January 24, 2020, 03:38:30 AM
Helping -
Every girl can have a fantasy or two.
I also have a fantasy that I will win Lotto.
But I know the difference between a fantasy and reality -
Hence I rarely buy a Lotto ticket.  :)

#48: January 25, 2020, 07:03:12 AM
Well tangentially the ads are getting closer to me, kind of.  Today I got women of Odessa wanting to meet me that prefer men over 45.

OK I'm not a man, but I am Russian and over 45.  So closer?  Well sort of!

• Administrator
#49: January 25, 2020, 08:52:53 AM
Well I have METS tickets and nutri systems.

I wonder what you search for to get those other ads? :) :) :)

A
#50: January 25, 2020, 09:14:28 AM
Anyone getting bombarded with phishing emails all of a sudden, starting around the time ads started to appear on HS?
Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

• Mentor
#51: January 25, 2020, 11:15:45 AM
I am getting ads in my junk that are flagged and marked urgent...that started in the last week or so

#52: January 25, 2020, 11:26:52 AM
Op don't be naughty!

Today my Google searches include:

3 recipes
2 WSJ articles
The best loved poetry of Jackie O book.
Scrap metal prices
Oil per barrel prices
Moscow news and weather

Each day my phone clears my cookies.
I'm not signed in to google.

According to my tech guy what I understand is this is a cheap and simple ad service that's not correctly calibrated and tested before implementation, the same as the false generator of views that screwed up access to the site just a few weeks ago.  With no clues from Google, no history, they use whatever they need views on because they promise companies  at least a certain minimum of views. 

But yes, it's so ridiculous it would be funny if this were not supposed to be a serious site dealing with serious matters. 

And now the the phishing attempts and spam emails? 

Is there an explanation for that?

A
#53: January 25, 2020, 11:50:30 AM
I am getting ads in my junk that are flagged and marked urgent...that started in the last week or so

Me, too.
Phishing and spam emails.
Apparently I won $500 at McDonald’s (I have not been there for a decade or longer.)
About Keto diet, Vegas, HDTV, and young exotic ladies.
A lot of them are from the same sender, ‘admin@jaylee.b.kadiof.net.  (Please do not click on it.)

If xyz and I are the only ones dealing with the sudden appearance of phishing and spam emails, OK, a private matter.
If others are having the same trouble, then the admin could look into it?

Anyone had similar experiences?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:58:54 AM by Acorn »
Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

• Mentor
#54: January 25, 2020, 01:03:27 PM
No I'm sorry xyzcf and Acorn, I am getting none of this in my email account.

It's strange how it is only effecting certain people.
My ads have just been normal, run of the mill ads I see every day.

• Mentor
#55: January 25, 2020, 07:52:13 PM
No Phishing or Spam for me. I keep a completely separate email just for HS and it's completely empty ATM

#56: January 25, 2020, 08:58:17 PM
It's strange how it is only effecting certain people.
My ads have just been normal, run of the mill ads I see every day.

This is natural for Ezoic. They are serving ads from multiple networks. Some networks (such as Google Ads) are family friendly, others (such as Commission Junction) are not so much (doing gambling, casinos etc not Google approved stuff)... In some countries and areas there is somewhat somewhat infinite bowl of ads from Google Ads, on some areas (for example Russia, where Google is not dominant like most of Europe),  they have to fill the void with other networks.  In some areas (say UK) Google Ads is what usually provides highest revenue, with others (say India) it is something else.... All in all what network is used is something RCR or any of us do not have much control (as ezoic always seeks one providing highest revenue, and it can change any time because the underlying systems are similar to auctions - highest bidder wins). Of course RCR could simply ditch ezoic and switch to Google Adsense (which shows nothing but Google approved ads).

Using incognito mode, not being signed ti google, and clearing up cookies makes advertising "less targeted". So it is like adding gasoline to flames. If you are not using a public device, all three are pretty much something I would avoid.

Sadly it takes time for these systems to truly learn about new website, new users. Not hours, not days, not weeks, but say anything north of 6-12 months.

So all in all the situation here is bit like with our marriages, with somewhat similar cure (we can only control our side of the street). 

Sorry for giving a lecture.

Alvin

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

M
#57: January 26, 2020, 12:36:49 PM
Today I got 'Soulmate dating site.' That's touchy for me. OW/Alienator said on facebook that she'd found her soulmate when she met my H. Maybe this would be an ad more suited on a MLCer and OW site.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#58: January 26, 2020, 02:09:33 PM
Rollercoasterider... I hope things go well with Ezoic. I do have some professional experience with them.  ...my professional advice (and that is coming from place of 20+ years with digital advertizing) is to proceed carefully.
Thanks. It's been rough so far--not counting the issues you are all experiencing with it. I am still looking into the ad manager mod Iused before as well. There was a plugin interaction and things stopped working and the income from ads went down significantly--actually that is an understatement. It was never a lot, but it paid ofr the running of the sites and other expenses and, back then my student loan which (YAY) are finally paid off.
Right now I am on fire to do some things with the sites and am needing some income to finance what I want to do.
I finally published some new blog posts after two years! I have not sent one out in a few weeks because all of this behind the scenes stuff has caused a few problems, one of which is with email sending. The next post has been ready and I'm still troubleshooting--since January 3rd!

...if the ads Ezoic is serving are coming from Google Ads Network (as they oftentimes are), one-time visit at https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated will allow Google to know what kind of ads you are interested of.  It will make the ads "less annoying" and more targeted to each's personal interests.
Thanks for this link. I have added a note to the first post--at the top of the first post--to highlight this link.

#59: January 27, 2020, 12:29:09 AM

I am still looking into the ad manager mod Iused before as well. There was a plugin interaction and things stopped working...

If approaching this from technical perspective....  If you know you want nothing but very simple "ad system", how about simply ditching modules/plugins approach (as it always involves the risk of breaking down things during upgrades/updates),  and simply injecting Google AdSense (or Google Tag Manager) code into theme-file(s).  It is somewhat risk-free and easy/quick operation (basically copy-paste).

If you decide to go with Google Adsense, then do acknowledge that under AdSense's management  there is an option to disable "Standard sensitive ad categories" - which pretty much filters out everything people consider "junky" (astrology,  body modifications, consumer loans, dating, downloads, gaming,  get rich schemes, weight loss etc).  By default ads from these categories are allowed.

...and the income from ads went down significantly--actually that is an understatement. It was never a lot, but it paid ofr the running of the sites and other expenses and, back then my student loan which (YAY) are finally paid off.
Right now I am on fire to do some things with the sites and am needing some income to finance what I want to do.

I know your pain (been there, done that etc)...  Have you considered other means of website monetization?  Basically the key to longterm success is all about adding number of tiny sources of revenue that work. 

Besides Google Adsense you might want to experiment with some  affeliate programs.  For example legal advice seems to be one area that audince here uses a lot -  you might want to check yout  affeliate program such  as RocketLawyer or LegalZoom (paying 15-30% commission of each sales).   And many of us here do buy (marriage, psychology etc) books from Amazon (their Amazon Associates Program pays 1-10% of each purchase)...    Whether you provide something like a "list of recommended books"(changing monthly)"  or  "use this link when buying anything from Amazon"  or "seek legal advice from here"   are all ok options (and considering you have got global audience, with heavy focus on US, Canada and UK - you could and should localize the offering).

... one of which is with email sending.

Let me guess... you had to switch server / IP-address in beginning of year? So basically your reputation/sender score etc. went to kingdom come and some/lot of the mail sent out bounces back?  It's a touch sitch with no quick & easy way out - which is why many people opt-in with external services like Mailchimp (full mailing system) or SendGrid (basically just a mailserver you connect with your server).  Of course both of the above options would be yet another cost   :(

Just like everything else, these things need to worked through one at a time, using somewhat systematic/mindful approach.  Possibly the first thing could/should be finding out how many users are having negative experience with ads?   And why?   Is it because of   sensitive ad contents,  bad ad location or ads slowing load times.  Possibly having a poll or two on topic would be a good idea....    On the positive side, the ads are now running and hopefully bringing you some much required funds to keep the systems up and running.  So situation is more positive than negative IMHO. 

Alvin.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 12:30:51 AM by AlvinTheMaker »

M
#60: January 27, 2020, 05:18:19 PM
Whether you provide something like a "list of recommended books"(changing monthly)"  or  "use this link when buying anything from Amazon" 

I buy way too much stuff from Amazon and would happily click on an affiliate link from this site to Amazon when going to Amazon to shop.

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
#61: January 28, 2020, 04:32:16 AM
Dear all,

I have been quiet recently due to my own personal circumstances but I would like to say that I have not personally had any issues with the advertising. It is quite obvious from the ads I saw that they were gleaned from my reading preferences - so I got sheets and pillowcases, dresses, shoes, hydraulic pumps, marriage counseling, divorce lawyers - all either in English or Portuguese (language spoken in Brazil!).

To me there does not seem to be any malicious goings on at all. Just normal ads that I get on any site I might visit that allows them.

Of course, now,  there are none ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:33:19 AM by Mitzpah »
M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.