Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story These are the best of times and the not so best of times

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Please share how you are going to smoke that turkey.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
These are the best of times and the not so best of times
#11: November 23, 2022, 08:01:18 AM
Hello,

I am going to cover the turkey in rub the night before I smoke it. We are celebrating on Saturday. I will then put a coat of margarine just before I put it in the smoker. I have a turkey cannon and will put chicken broth, onions, lemon, and some wine in it as well. I with then put on the smoker on High smoke and smoke for an hour. I then turn up the temperature to 350 and cook until internal temperature hits 160-165 degrees and then let it rest for 20 minutes.

It is absolutely delicious!

((((Ready)))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

J
#12: November 23, 2022, 08:36:06 AM
I had to look up "turkey cannon" to know what the heck that is, because two things immediately came to mind:
  • Compressed air cannons are/were used to fire chickens (dead ones!) into aircraft windshields to test them for bird strikes. Not helpful if you're planning on eating it.
  • The immortal quote, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans.

JB
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

b
Hello, Ready!  So, as you said, even in the best of times, there ate always going to be little bumps and issues that need to be addressed.  As adults with lots of life experience and doing damage control, we know this will always be the case, and luckily most of us are well adjusted enough to handle things as they come.  The MLC'ER, well. this is where they show their true colors and run.  lol

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues, but as you say, heredity and age are 2 things that you can't change.  As I approach the Big 5-O in a couple months, more aches and pains crop up, and I've also just made the leap to multi-focal contact lenses lol

Your Thanksgiving feast sounds divine.  I'm sure your family will love it.  I wish I was having your turkey.  I will be attempting to inject mine with some type of marinade that I just plan on winging, no pun intended lol. Hopefully it rurns out, as it has been many years since I've actually roasted a turkey.

I hope your holiday trip to Vietnam goes smoothly and creates lots of great memories to look back on.  We are both blessed to have come through this MLC debacle with wonderful new spouses and traveling partners!  I wish you and your family happy holidays!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#14: November 24, 2022, 12:26:21 AM
I had to look up "turkey cannon" to know what the heck that is, because two things immediately came to mind:
  • Compressed air cannons are/were used to fire chickens (dead ones!) into aircraft windshields to test them for bird strikes. Not helpful if you're planning on eating it.
  • The immortal quote, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans.

JB

JB, you need to come clean the coffee out of my keyboard now....

One Chicken cannon, coming up
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

J
#15: November 24, 2022, 05:16:58 AM
JB, you need to come clean the coffee out of my keyboard now....

I'm on a roll these days!
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
#16: December 09, 2022, 07:29:18 PM
Wow Ready, enjoy your vacation coming up!  Hopefully those evaluations got done and you are winding down with your school term.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
#17: December 27, 2022, 11:51:05 PM
Good Morning Vietnam, well actually it's afternoon now,

So we are in our third city and our trip other than a few small hiccups has been a blast. My wife and I landed in Hanoi, Sunday morning and arrived at our hotel around one pm. We settled in and I took a nap. We got up and had a nice dinner in their cocktail lounge. The hotel was refined and elegant. What really surprised me was how everything was decorated for Christmas. The next morning we had egg coffee at the store opened by the man that created the recipe. It is thick and surprisingly good. That afternoon, we went on a private walking food tour and I enjoyed coconut coffee which is an amazing treat. We also took a trip to Halong Bay and saw a huge cave, climbed 430 steps to the top of a mountain top, and I fed a baby monkey.

We then went to the beach at Da Nang and enjoyed three days at a spa. We both enjoyed 80 minutes each of spa treatments and a great buffet. We also went and spent an evening at Hoi An and walked the marketplace.

Which brings us to Saigon. Saigon is the busiest city and is very interesting. We have another food tour tonight. The hotel we a staying at is beautiful and opened in 2016. The interior was designed by Italian decorators and the result is best described as an Asian Bellagio. Large amounts of marble and intricate tile work and pieces of art ordain the entire hotel.

My wife and I are enjoying a great time together. Of course, this is the first time I have been away from family during the Christmas time period but I will plan on a family get together in the future.

My new year wish for the upcoming year is that we all make progress forward. If you are new and just past bomb drop, just focus on healing and focus on your physical and mental health. While the actions and crisis of the MLCer really have nothing to do about you or your marriage, the actions have a huge impact on the essence of you. You need to recognize the hurt and then work on recovery. For those of you that are further down the path, I encourage you to keep posting your threads and stories. After all, the forum is all about our journey and its is our combined stories that build and provide hope for all that regardless of the outcome, we move forward.

((((Ready))))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

B
#18: December 28, 2022, 12:35:20 AM
Ready,

The trip sounds amazing. I love hearing about friends trips to Asia as the differences to western culture are so very interesting.
Best wishes for the New Year for you too. Seems like you’ll be starting 2023 off in spectacular style.

#19: December 28, 2022, 04:40:25 AM
Hi Ready, sounds like you are having fun in Vietnam. It’s in my bucket list to go there. I think it’s a beautiful country full of history. It’s nice to hear you and your wife are able to spend quality time together. Thank you for continuing to share your story and words of wisdom.

My new year wish for the upcoming year is that we all make progress forward. If you are new and just past bomb drop, just focus on healing and focus on your physical and mental health. While the actions and crisis of the MLCer really have nothing to do about you or your marriage, the actions have a huge impact on the essence of you. You need to recognize the hurt and then work on recovery. 

This is so true. I just realize this in my 3.5 years post BD. I only clearly understood this when my Xh wasn’t living with me anymore. I learned to slowly get to know myself, recognize and appreciate my strength and what I am capable of without him, and most of all work on my issues the moment I realized he was gone. Those paralyzing fears I have conquered slowly, that doesn’t mean that I don’t have fears anymore but I learn to focus on the present when it starts to creep on me.

Enjoy the rest of your well-deserved holiday ready.
Me 43 at BD
H    45 at BD
Married 11 yrs at BD, no kids,
BD May 2019 (I moved out Nov 2019)
EA or PA with ex gf (not sure), H spent 3 nights with the hoe during our vacation in July 2019, it was a friendly encounter according to H
H wanted D April 2020 seeing suspected OW2 (divorced with two kids) and 2 years older than him, H didn’t file the D
Clinging boomerang
6/21 H moved in with me; kicked him out 01/22
H turned into a vanisher, wants a Divorce, OW 3 (16 years younger and extreme sporty)
14.11.22 Divorce final, I'm done

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.