Archives > Archived Topics

Off-Topic Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #5

(1/31) > >>

Nas:
Starting a new thread because I have appreciated the sharing of info on this topic.

Previous thread:
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11539.150

marvin4242:
Final numbers also in for the original Pfizer vaccine, it also came in at 95% efficacy (pretty much same as the Moderna). So at this point it seems vaccines that target the spike protein (which all the current varients under testing do) should be about the same very high efficacy rate.

This is excellent news, means all the expertise and knowledge has paid off. The first crack at the vaccine is highly effective, and it will not matter which variant one receives at the end. Some of this amazing success has to do with our ability to sequence the virus and ability to do genetic sequencing.

This, to me, is yet another example of how expertise and knowledge is much more important than beliefs. Our fields of knowledge and our ability to analyze and learn are such an accomplishment of humanity. Instinct, misinformation and beliefs really are not the way to tackle complex issues. We should always follow science and listen to the REAL experts in a field to find the best way forward.

So once the vaccine is available in wide supplies we will quickly bring this virus under control. We just have to be hyper vigilant to minimize the damage that is coming from this third and in some areas uncontrolled wave of Covid.

Added: it also has shown no safety concerns and they are applying for emergency use authorization within days.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/18/health/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-safety/index.html

xyzcf:
I heard last night that to maximize the potential to control COVID, will require at least 75% of the population receiving the vaccine.

We need to keep this in mind as we talk about the vaccine to others.  I am concerned that people will see this as an impingement on their "freedom".

They were comparing the efficacy of the COVID vaccine to measles vaccine and that has been shown to prevent measles in a population that has a high rate of vaccination. Unfortunately we start to see measles outbreaks in communities who have a  higher number people who refuse to vaccine their children.

My daughter and I are joyfully planning our ability to see one another, some day when we are both vaccinated and it is safe to travel.

In the meantime, everything we do, every step we take right now will make the difference in the number of cases and deaths. As hard as it is to follow the public health orders in your community, each of us can make a difference. Thanks to all of you who are holding fast to social distancing, mask wearing, hand washing and avoiding being together with family and friends, especially hard as we come up to this holiday season.

Great news from Zoom that will offer unlimited time to be on line with family for Thanksgiving
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/11/16/thanksgiving-zoom-your-family-get-together-can-surpass-40-minutes/6312839002/?fbclid=IwAR24Hh-Lg_4L5c5zrTgUptgIkiDktnsw8HC_hXTKM-Mr7sXsSDsnpk79Tic

marvin4242:
Another good sign, a study shows immunity may last quite a long while.

PEOPLE INFECTED WITH the coronavirus could remain immune for years after their recovery, a new study suggests, offering news that could quell worries about waning immunity as potential vaccines are nearing availability.

Scientists at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology in California found that eight months after participants had been infected with COVID-19, they still had high enough immune cells to fight off the virus and prevent another round of infection. That slow rate of decline in the short term indicates that immunity may remain for years.

terra:
Not to put a stick in it, but, and, I’m not sure how to even ask this except in sort of an MLC-themed way, and apologies for the preamble,

I’m wading in medication fact sheets on behalf of a dear friend whose cancer treatments are either about to change or by her decision completely end. Have Pfizer or Moderna released the fact sheets for these vaccines? I can’t find them. Those are important, for anyone’s decision whether to be vaccinated.

Because of MLC/LBS life, I have eyed C19 from the start as potentially some kind of airborne version of HSV1, HSV2, HPV, or HIV. That may be simplistic or full-tilt just wrong, but it’s one reason I have no problem sheltering at home, isolating, or wearing mask.

The HX viruses are super common, super contagious, and they stick around. Two can’t be cured; two can kill you. One can’t be tested for in men. Any one of them may cause symptoms that don’t appear to have any explanation and aren’t obviously symptoms of an STD at all.

The ones that can’t be cured, shed and transmit even when the carrier is asymptomatic. Which, frequently enough, carriers are.

Are any of these things true of C19?

Do we know, yet?

The cancer treatment medication fact sheets, one of the proposed combos has only been approved this year and after 3 years of clinical study and trials. How long have either of the proposed vaccines even been studied, if C19 just turned up last year?

Not saying the vaccines are not good news. Just, in my house we are probably going to wait a while before saying yes to them. Still, glad that they are coming along, and thank you for continuing this important thread topic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version