Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Breakout Thread from Articles to discuss

• Mentor
My Story Breakout Thread from Articles to discuss
#10: January 27, 2023, 10:46:33 AM
I consider what my H is going through is a major depressive crisis at mid-life.  A perfect storm scenario.

I agree KayDee and I also feel it is related to Developmental Stages of the Life Span (Erik Erickson) with a much stronger response than someone who is not in crisis. The perfect storm as you say, fear of getting older or dying, children leaving, loss of important people in their lives, biochemical changes, stress, spiritual crisis...all culminating in a "break" of sorts.

I remember back when I was a teenager and not a very nice person to my parents..no reason, they were very good parents....I remember when my daughter was 16...wanted to give her away. Both my daughter and I went through this stage and then i ended and we became "normal" again. It's a small example perhaps of a similar type of thing.

I have empathy for their "depression" and the stories I have read of MLCers who do write about their experience makes me very glad that I am not the one in crisis.

Yes, RCR did base some of her work on Jim Conway's Men in Midlife crisis. She also studied various other psychology theories, lived through it herself and accumulated years of studying other stories of MLCer's via what has been posted here.

The damage done to the LBSer is significant and so both MLCer and LBSer are going to be greatly changed by this.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:47:58 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

W

WHY

Breakout Thread from Articles to discuss
#11: January 27, 2023, 11:04:03 AM
The idea of the original love still being inside, just suppressed due to depression, is a critical concept for me.  If this IS the case, then I believe its worth the LBS enduring the mental torture required to keep your marriage together, especially with an at-home, low energy wallower. 

However, if a completely new love needs to form after MLC, then I think it makes more sense to fully let them go, D, live separate lives for a few years until they're recovered (which would likely be a shorter period than if they were home), then see if you can fall in love again as completely different people.  This to me would appear to offer a better chance at reconciliation.

These two concepts have a massive impact on the LBS mental well being and choice to D or not.  I wish there was an answer to this.  And that's why I've been trying to find answers from more recovered MLCers.  Yet they barely exist. 

W

WHY

#12: January 31, 2023, 09:27:14 PM
Has anyone ever heard of EMDR therapy being used in the case of MLC.  I found a YouTube vid about MLC and there were a lot of comment saying how this therapy helped people with their issues. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/22641-emdr-therapy

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#13: January 31, 2023, 10:56:51 PM
Has anyone ever heard of EMDR therapy being used in the case of MLC.  I found a YouTube vid about MLC and there were a lot of comment saying how this therapy helped people with their issues. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/22641-emdr-therapy

Treasur swears by it
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

• Mentor
#14: February 01, 2023, 07:07:47 AM
Hi WHY,

You did mean EMDR therapy for the LBS, right?  Not for the MLCer.
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

W

WHY

#15: February 01, 2023, 06:09:12 PM
Hi WHY,

Hey!  No for the MLCer.  To unlock hidden CPTSD issues which possibly resulted in their MLC.

• Mentor
#16: February 01, 2023, 06:38:35 PM
Most MLCers do not acknowledge that there is anything wrong with them. Unless they themselves are wanting to receive therapy, it's highly unlikely they would go.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#17: February 02, 2023, 12:50:28 AM
Hi WHY,

Hey!  No for the MLCer.  To unlock hidden CPTSD issues which possibly resulted in their MLC.

Mid-Lifers? Get therapy? Seriously?

WET CLEAN UP ON AISLE 5 PLEASE!

Why should a Mi-Lifer need therapy? After all, the LBS is the one that is responsible for their misery  ::)
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

#18: February 02, 2023, 01:06:30 AM
Why, yes I am a fan of EMDR as part of dealing with embedded trauma, although things like CBT, NLP and different kinds of somatic therapy can work well too.

Intellectually I see no reason why it wouldn’t be useful to anyone trying to unhook themselves from old traumas, MLCer or not. However, where that idea falls over I think is that most MLC behaviour suggests that they have already selected a different approach towards dealing with it....one of avoidance and external solutions rather than internal ones. I’m not quite sure how one could usefully do any kind of solid trauma work without stopping to see it as more of an internal job than an external one, if that makes sense? And who knows, maybe for some of these folks, the external fix works just well enough for long enough that it never reaches that kind of ‘do or die’ stage? I know that by the time I got to EMDR, I would have stood on my head whistling Dixie if someone told me it might work bc I simply could not bear to live much longer in the skin I was in at that time.  :) jmo though.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

W

WHY

#19: February 02, 2023, 04:15:10 AM
Why, yes I am a fan of EMDR as part of dealing with embedded trauma, although things like CBT, NLP and different kinds of somatic therapy can work well too.

Intellectually I see no reason why it wouldn’t be useful to anyone trying to unhook themselves from old traumas, MLCer or not. However, where that idea falls over I think is that most MLC behaviour suggests that they have already selected a different approach towards dealing with it....one of avoidance and external solutions rather than internal ones. I’m not quite sure how one could usefully do any kind of solid trauma work without stopping to see it as more of an internal job than an external one, if that makes sense? And who knows, maybe for some of these folks, the external fix works just well enough for long enough that it never reaches that kind of ‘do or die’ stage? I know that by the time I got to EMDR, I would have stood on my head whistling Dixie if someone told me it might work bc I simply could not bear to live much longer in the skin I was in at that time.  :) jmo though.

So the person needs to want it to work, for it to work?   Even if you could convince your MLCer to go, it wouldn’t work unless they really wanted it?  Kind of like couples counseling I guess.  I was just hoping that someone had tried this type of therapy on a MLCer and saw some sort of breakthrough.   I mean 100 years of MLC an nothing has worked?

I guess I’m really bought into the concept of MLC because I started living with an alien overnight and the script is real. 

However, I’m much more skeptical about recovery or end game and if it’s worth standing at all.  All I have to go on is shocksis and a few others here that said they “loved their LBS all along”.

But 2 data points don’t make a trend.   And it sounds like the vast majority go on to live different lives.  They essentially change, heal, and no longer want their old life. 

So why endure the torture of standing.  Why do we teach/promote standing here at HS if the smart move is to move on?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 04:18:37 AM by WHY »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.