Skip to main content

Author Topic: MLC Monster Resources: About MLC

T
MLC Monster Re: Resources: About MLC
#140: February 29, 2012, 12:07:24 AM
Thank you for finding that, Kikki -- that really is a brilliant list, certainly for me.  I'm glad it's from a "professional" source as well; it gives it that little bit more weight.  I do realise it's a compilation of all the possibilities, but for me, at least, it really gives me so much explanation. 

If this is the case, then MLC really is the "mother of all depressions".    And it becomes more and more important that we don't let ourselves or our children be drawn in. 

• Mentor
  • How I long for your precepts! Psalm 119:40
Re: Resources: About MLC
#141: February 29, 2012, 03:02:29 AM
After seeing this posted again, I got out my printed copy and read it before going to bed last night - just to reassure myself  that this is, indeed, MLC! ::)
M 61
H 61
S 31
D 28
BD 13 Dec 2010
Divorced 27 Feb 2015 (30 years marriage)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

• “In adversity we know our friends."
#142: March 02, 2012, 11:09:59 AM
Mitzpah, I think this is the third time I have read it this week too.  Isn't it crazy that we actually doubt ourselves sometimes.  Each time I read it I see my H in every single aspect of that.  Heartbreaking for sure.

We aren't crazy, this is real.

Sassy
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.
Benjamin Franklin

a
#143: March 10, 2012, 02:01:15 PM
"MLC is the mother of all depressions..." True in our case anyway. H is home, and being a physician is fully aware that this is what he went through (perhaps still going through to some extent, but not in "crisis" mode.)

He met all listed symptoms except "poor money manager" and "using drugs or alcohol". Everything else was him. Every so often, if it comes up, i might bring up something he said or did during that nightmarish time, and he is stunned. He believes he said and did it, so he doesn't deny it...but it's as if "another person" did it. He accepts responsibility however, even if that was a severe depressive episode. He insists that his brain is different now...he can't explain it, but there was something wrong he said, on how he "thought". He didn't care or have feelings for anyone he said. He had no empathy and it didn't occur to him that his family was hurt. He said he hated himself and therefore me. He was frantic for change.

The basis for how he got into that mess he is still working on....he knows. How his self-worth or happiness is dependent on the wrong things...etc. he sees me and him as one person or sometimes I'm on a pedestal (flattering, but not safe). At least he acknowledges it and he is not in denial. Interesting how just "knowing" gave him power against this thing. I thought it might be interesting to study this from an MLCer who is looking back on the destruction he caused.

We continue to rebuild...

angelgirl

T
  • MLCer Type: Vanisher
#144: March 10, 2012, 02:50:55 PM
Angelgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your husband's feeling with us who are still living the nightmare.

Your post and contribution to the site is greatly appreciated.

Tsu

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:19:56 PM by Tsunami »
To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.           Oscar Wilde

"The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

k
#145: March 10, 2012, 02:55:38 PM
Yes, thank you angelgirl.  It is always really helpful to have feedback, from a MLCer looking back on themselves with more clarity.

Just a question -  do you mean that he still views you as one person, or still puts you on a pedestal?

f
  • MLCer Type: Boomerang
#146: March 11, 2012, 08:48:15 AM
Faithled here,

Sorry to interrupt the question.  I found this post so valuable today.  I have been praying if the recent chages in how I handle thigs was right.  I thought H was in reconnection, but I realize if he is still living with OW, and he is allowed to come here to see the boys, and then goes home to her and her boys after he visits, is that really unconditional love, or cake-eating.  Regardless, I have heath issues, managed by medication, which react to great stress.  Although things were peaceful, I have been praying for direction, and recently told H that it is not him, but his behaviours over the last 3 years that I do not condone, and have caused me great stress.  I told him I will always love the H I knew.  We are in the final stages of mediation to have a separation agreement (my insistance).  Our 3 teen boys continue to want to live with me.  I have recently decided to sell the house, as he is taking the cottage, and the boys are willing to move one or 2 neighborjoods over.  I am going to buy a smaller, newer house.  I wondered if this is a bad thing, but I see from this post (answer to prayer) that H could continue his damaging behaviours to myself and the boys, even though he is verbally nice to us, and helps when over, it is a way of him still having some control over me and living 2 lives.
     Again, thank you for this read, and I feel selling the house is a really good thing to do, having told H that I will treat him with kindness, but he will no longer visit the boys here once we move,

faithled

I have made some comments to this post on your thread.

limitless
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:37:56 PM by limitless »
Faithled
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

• Administrator
#147: March 15, 2012, 02:29:38 AM
Thread is now continued here, make any comments on part 2

http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=2297.0

This thread will stay locked and stickied to the top of the board.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:31:23 AM by OldPilot »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.