Skip to main content

Author Topic: Interacting with Your MLCer What do you think it means to Pave the Way - 2

Interacting with Your MLCer Re: What do you think it means to Pave the Way - 2
#30: August 13, 2019, 10:41:56 AM
I did not see Paving as a strategy, even though I believe(d) it to be a Standing action. It was always going to be the MLCer's choice whether or not he took the path paved, but the path was nevertheless there. It was or would have been created with kindness, forgiveness, and a willingness to reconnect the marriage. That was much earlier on in the pre-D boomerang days for me.

Re: What do you think it means to Pave the Way - 2
#31: August 13, 2019, 04:34:43 PM
Paving The Way is not the end goal, reconciliation, it is part of it. Therefore, I would say it is a tactic.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

E
#32: August 15, 2019, 04:27:41 PM
“The most important thing to feel during this mess was the ability to have control over your life, and choice. BD feels like an out of control natural disaster. Your entire world is upended. Knowing that you can take back control (or as much as anyone can) and that you have options was a life line. If you want to stand for your one true love...good for you do it. If you are tired of his $h!te?...well walk away and make yourself the best you possible. Just because they choose a path you didn't doesn't mean they are different. We all start off the same, and then we get the power of choice back.

I don't think we have to filter, and alter, and dumb down the website to ''only be standers'' or ''covenant keepers'' or ''Happily Divorced''. If there are no longer groups...it looks like it is no longer a choice. IF only standers are allowed, a LBS may feel they do not fit in because they can not stand forever...or there was violence or whatever.

Variety is important because it gives us various perspectives, and a view into what our different choices can be.”

Replying on phone so I apologise for brevity (and any possible abruptness). Agree with the above. As a newbie I was (am!) traumatised but not stupid. I don’t want to be told what I ‘must’ do. I want suggestions on options, stories of what has happened with others, how they coped and what ‘worked’ to help them through (wherever they ended up), and knowledge about ‘what he might do (as a MLCer)’. I want choices and the option to take whatever choice I want without feeling judged for having made that choice at that time. And indeed, I want the option to change my choice as my journey evolves, without fearing ‘I told you so’s. I think, for the most part, this is what I have received here, and I’m very grateful. Giving ‘you must do this!’ advice to a newbie I personally don’t think is actually very helpful as it adds to their stress if they choose not to (or can’t at that time) take onboard that advice.
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

t
#33: August 15, 2019, 08:56:57 PM
I wholeheartedly am in line with how Evermore sees this. That doesn’t make me “right” or “wrong”.  It is only how I feel. I will never forget what I felt when I came here for help and understanding. I will never forget the people that helped to lift me up. Each one different. Some I have seen called enablers here. Some called too harsh. Some just right. I see it differently.

Those “enablers” held my hand when I desperately needed it. They shared my pain and gave me a safe place to land. Those that were too “harsh” pushed me to find my strength. Take a good look at my own actions. And those who found “balance” helped me find my center. To find trust in myself.

At different times through this some I needed more than others. Sometimes I felt hurt by something I perceived as harsh when I was not in the best place. Sometimes I got mad when I felt I needed direction and a kick in the ass and got empathy instead.

I still go through that. Lol!!

This is a process and it’s not a straight line. Are there times I think something is said that shouldn’t be. Absolutely. But that is because we each are individuals and see things and handle things differently. We are not gonna agree on everything. That is life. I’ve learned a lot by working to understand this and to let things go that don’t feel right to me and make my own decisions.

I do believe also that we have a responsibility to think of where the other person is before we answer. In the tone we use. I haven’t posted on someone’s thread in a very long time because I don’t know how to help. I post on my thread to share my story and hope that it helps someone find their way.

I read others posts to help myself as well. When people post on my thread even though I’m an old timer at this point I still go through the same emotions as I did at the beginning. Just not so severe. I sometimes am so thankful for the insight, sometimes angry at what I perceive to be and feels like I’m being TOLD what to do and that I’m kinda getting what I asked for because I’m not doing IT a certain way. I have learned to rethink and understand these are just pointed questions to get me to think. But ultimately I will decide what I’m going to do and those decisions are my responsibility.

I will put standing and paving the way, in my opinion, in the same bag. At first. I stood for my commitment to my marriage. I paved the way to try to do no more damage. I never ascribed to being the lighthouse though. Lol. That wasn’t something that I felt comfortable with. But as time went on and I found myself in different places in this drama, standing and paving the way also changed for me. What they meant to me. I now stand for my values. I pave the way for myself. A good and kind path. Not judge mental. Well lots of stuff on that path. And it’s open to anyone that wants to share and contribute positively.

There is much newbies can learn about themselves through us old timers stories. And much we can learn from the newbies. It just seems so simple to me. Respect each other as individuals with different perspectives and make your own decisions from what you’ve learned. And then rock that $h!te.

BD Feb 2014
DONE

t
#34: September 20, 2019, 01:40:22 PM
Quick update.  All is well with me.  Horses are good.  Kids are good. Been just getting back to myself and I'm happy for that.

X is going to Alaska on Monday.  YEAH!!!!!  Filing again for divorce after the beginning of the year.  He needs to get settled in his new job so we have agreed to finish this up at that point.  I'm happy about this.

Also, found out that even after he had to tell me last October about his relationship with his sister in law, that he continued that on.  Not going into details about how this truth tidbit came about cause it's sooo long and annoying.  But they continued to talk and visit and he even did home improvements for her LMAO. 

Anyway, I'm handling it just fine.  I even let him borrow my car today to get to Tampa for some stuff he needs for his flight.  Whatever i need to do to get him on his way.  When he dropped my car off to me at work he actually asked me to have dinner with him.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  I told him no.  No firetrucking way.  Not on his firetrucking life.  But I did say it nicely.  We have agreed to be civil.  lol. 

So I'm free come Monday!!!!!  My friends and I have a party planned to celebrate. 

It's been pretty hard having to face who he really is.  Taken me a lot of time.  Lost a lot of time.  But I still don't regret that.  There are no doubts anymore.  None at all. 

BD Feb 2014
DONE

t
#35: November 28, 2019, 07:48:58 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

To us ole timers here I hope you enjoy good food good drink and wonderful family and friends. I am thankful for this group and the good friends and family in my life. A few years ago I couldn’t see that I could find a happy and good life. I am thankful for everything including the hard times that showed me how to embrace the good in my life.

To those just starting their journey or those still struggling through. It does get better. I promise. Just keep building on every tiny step forward.

BD Feb 2014
DONE

• Mentor
#36: November 28, 2019, 08:03:02 AM
Hi tmt,

Nice to hear from you.

Hope you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving. 
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

#37: November 28, 2019, 08:32:49 AM
Lovely to hear you are doing well, tmt...if you ever feel inclined to dig out your old thread and do a newsy update that would be fab as I was an unpaid member of your invisible fan club lol.
PS can we send them all to Alaska do you think???
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

#38: November 28, 2019, 10:59:41 AM
Hmmmm, mine’s from Alaska too - no lack of FOO issues in that state! I don’t know you tmt, but I loved your upbeat, positive message. Thanks for posting and Happy Thanksgiving all!!
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

• Mentor
#39: November 28, 2019, 06:09:40 PM
Wow TMT  are you in the tampa area too?

I can agree with many of your points and thoughts about the whole board and standing lbs and everything.

I read a lot too but only comment if I feel I have something valid to offer. I'm the same, I have my own thread and that's mostly where I post too. I try to work out my own thoughts there to varying degrees of success.  Haha.

Your last few posts have been interesting though. You've been able to articulate many thoughts I've had but I find the whole "thing" emotional and it's often hard for me to get my thoughts out clearly.

Hope you had a good Thanks giving.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:10:47 PM by gman242 »

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.