Skip to main content

Author Topic: Resources Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 9

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Resources Re: Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 9
#60: February 05, 2023, 06:46:22 AM
My take away from that article is that the brain is literally changing in mid-life- restructuring. So now that you know that your wife´s brain has literally changed, what does that do to your evaluation of her possible future behavior? In one sense it is a relief to know that you are not imagining things; she has literally changed and you are not imagining new behaviors. You too are changing and living with the rejection and loneliness is not good for your brain. I just keep going back to the reality of love cannot fix mental health issues. Maybe there is so little reconciliation because their brains have remodeled and they are different people as the process proceeds. We like to think that the core of the person we knew is still there but maybe that´s a bias based on hope and not reality.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 9
#61: February 06, 2023, 01:01:13 AM
Good Morning everyone,

This is primarily a discussion thread where specific articles are linked and a discussion around those articles ensues. However, the thread has lately been mostly a back and forth answering questions from WHY. Therefore, I have (upon agreement/request from some of the other Mods) split off that part of this thread and put it as a new, stand-alone thread.

For those that were actively engaged in the discussion with WHY, the breakout thread is here: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=12033.0

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 02:38:25 AM by UrsaMajor »
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

• Mentor
#62: February 10, 2023, 07:02:05 AM
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

W

WHY

#63: February 10, 2023, 08:22:18 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/09/opinion/despair-friendship-suicide.html?fbclid=IwAR00AnoY21EuCAvnapGCBaBtErVGOZ92lA5Pl-79BcD9tvef2ZO7-YigZpo

An article about depression..anytime I read things like this, it helps me to understand better.

Paywall.  Can you Ctrl-P thanks. 

• Mentor
#64: February 10, 2023, 09:23:43 AM
I am so sorry Why...I was able to read the article even though I don't have a subscription...if I find another source I shall let you know. I think it would be against copywright to copy it. It just struck me how no matter how clear it is that someone is suffering from depression, all the help in the world will not change things.

Here it is on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJCyl_qp9eU
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:25:34 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

• Mentor
#67: February 10, 2023, 10:54:58 AM
What struck me about the article is the absolute darkness the man felt and that in spite of tons of resources, therapy, medication and supportive people, he continued to feel "lost" and in darkness for years. I don't know how to relate to feeling so hopeless and I do wonder if some of these feelings are what our MLCer experiences.

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#68: February 23, 2023, 05:46:10 AM
Why's question and subsequent answers have been moved to the Breakout Thread as the discussion didn't relate to an article that had been referenced or posted. It was a question if there were articles to be found.

The Breakout thread can be found here : https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=12033.30

This thread is for a discussion around articles that have been found to be helpful/useful rather than as a personal request or story.
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#69: March 01, 2023, 07:28:29 AM
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042810017313

"Early attachment with caregivers in childhood plays a significant role in developing healthy relationships with
other people such as peers, partners and children in later life (Howe et al., 1999). Children who are abused often can
not find their caretaker available or when they are present; their behaviors provoke anxiety, fear and anger (Howe,
2005). Sroufe et al. (1999) maintain that early attachment with the caretakers, can affect later capacity of forming
emotional connectedness, building a safe and secure foundation in relationships and self-worth.
The studies also
showed the relationship between insecure attachment and emotion regulation (e.g., Shields & Cicchetti, 1997).
The findings in our study , consistent with these studies, demonstrated individuals who were abused or neglected
in childhood, may develop dysfunctional patterns of emotional closeness, intimacy, safety seeking and building trust
in romantic relationships due to their despaired attachment systems. Even though childhood trauma is an indicator of
infidelity tendency, we could not find any difference in infidelity tendency in terms of attachment styles.

We presumed attachment functions as a mediator in the relationship of childhood trauma and infidelity tendency
but the results indicated a different form of relationship between these variables, which should be addressed in
further research. Romantic jealousy, which differed significantly among attachment groups (anxious/preoccupied
presenting the most jealousy in romantic relationships followed by fearful/avoidant, secure and
dismissive/avoidant), did not show any correlation with childhood trauma, which is another finding that can be
further explored in future research.
"

And of course a little something from the playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpjHW4mr6qo
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.