Skip to main content

Author Topic: Resources Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Resources Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10
#50: March 31, 2024, 07:21:33 AM
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20220311-the-complicated-truth-of-post-traumatic-growth

Post traumatic growth is “the idea that many people not only recover from life-shattering events, but also experience a positive transformation in their values, actions and relationships. “

Trauma shatters your worldview and disrupts your core beliefs. And post-traumatic growth, at least theoretically, is the result of you trying to put your worldview back together in a way that incorporates that traumatic event. You come out the other side looking different in some way.”

But “in some cases, this narrative around the potential to grow could be oppressive. It creates the expectation that not only do I have to recover from what happened to me, but apparently, I'm supposed to become better than ever before.” And this pressure, he thinks, could lead to worse mental health outcomes for some individuals.”

I feel like I was more myself outwardly several years ago when I was told I didn’t have long to live.  Maybe that gave me the courage to really be me.  Then as the fear of having to reconstruct an entire life from scratch completely alone took over, the scared me became the me that took over. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually fearless in a lot of ways that I don’t think many people recognize as fearless.)

I am different under my current circumstances, but the core parts of me are still there. How we show up in the world does change with circumstances. When you know that the You that people see isn’t the You that really is, you feel very unseen.  But I’ve had a pretty interesting life, I have some pretty interesting thoughts and even have some wisdom gleaned from my interesting life to share, I’m interested in what people think and feel - if anyone ever decides to get to know me, they’ll see that.

Someone was recently telling me about an 80-year-old woman they admire, a widow who has faced a lot of adversity and doesn’t have a lot, but who embraces the simple moments of her life. They said, “She has no wisdom to share but her way of life is wisdom.“ I was really very taken with that statement and it stayed with me long after they said it. I have nothing to offer to anyone, I’m no one’s inspiration, I just hope that at least one person will see past the surface and see what I am rather than what I’m not or what I don’t have, maybe even see the fearlessness in me that most people don’t recognize.

Bottom line: IMO I think when we feel alone and so low after BD there’s a lot of pressure to be the Phoenix rising from the ashes, to prove to others that we are in fact worthy, that our lives are impressive, that someone, or many someones, will love us and want us and choose us, etc. (and under that pressure, we sometimes might even make choices or take actions to prove ourselves to the world - or let’s be honest, to our MLCers - rather than doing them because it’s what we truly want or need.) And it might be freeing to realize that you don’t have to emerge from this, or any other traumatic life experience(s), as a completely triumphant, ass kicking superhero. You just have to emerge and go on. Growth means different things to different people. Knowing what it means for you and living in a way that’s true to that is growth in itself.

🎶 https://youtu.be/0xrZ61cuKLk
Further we go
And older we grow
The more we know
The less we show 🎶
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

M
Links/Blogs/Articles for us all to share 10
#51: March 31, 2024, 07:32:21 AM
So well expressed and all so very true. I think for me, showing myself in leas than “put together” form was also a release of the control of the situatiin and need to be somewhere I wasn’t. Maybe if we all in life in a world of filters and illusion allowed ourselves to show our true lives of imperfections than there would not be the need for so many to live behind a mask.  Maybe depression wouldn’t be escalating. Maybe MLC wouldn’t be so extreme..

People thought I had the perfect life and were let down by its demise. Yet, I am sure many liked seeing it. Then they didn’t have to be so ashamed of the life they were hiding or living. That’s so sad. To want to see people you are envious of to falter.

Anyways, I loved what you wrote and your thoughts. Thank you got sharing.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

W

WHY

#52: April 01, 2024, 02:58:29 PM
A blueprint of our MLCers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECnpu85EkcY

N

Nas

#53: April 04, 2024, 11:06:15 AM
A lot of times a big unexpected life change necessitates a whole series of successive changes, big and small, ranging from inconvenient to terrifying. The big changes are often ones that are nonnegotiable, where doing nothing is not an option.  Sometimes we're afraid to commit to a change for fear of locking ourselves into a choice that's not great and is going to be hard or impossible to change again.  Sometimes we feel like we can't afford even one tiny mistake. There's lots of things that make making changes feel impossible, most notably when it feels like there are no possibilities, or the possibilities are all suboptimal. I don't think this exercise will help in every instance, but is still a good exercise to try:

https://psyche.co/guides/how-to-use-possibility-thinking-to-solve-problems-creatively

And of course, my musical selection:
https://youtu.be/vyrpRzdvp5U?si=ToaGfQix9qvlTfwb
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

W

WHY

#54: April 16, 2024, 01:44:56 PM
Effects of Early Adverse Life Events on Depression and Cognitive Performance from the Perspective of the Heart-Brain Axis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10452582/

N

Nas

#55: April 18, 2024, 06:28:35 PM
https://psyche.co/guides/how-to-appreciate-what-you-have-even-when-it-is-not-perfect

I went into reading this article fully expecting to do a hard eye roll. But I actually really like its message,  it resonated and it’s actually really timely for some of the issues I’ve been batting around. I don’t think that I will find a fitting relationship, but I really would like to, and one of the things that I have made sure to work on in order to be ready in case it ever happens is practicing nonattachment and knowing that the fact that I value and appreciate and love something or someone doesn’t mean I can’t live without that thing or that person.

This is the longest I’ve been single since I was 16. For some time, because it can be lonely, I’ve been looking at it solely as a lack of a person to talk things through in tough times or share breakthroughs, new ideas, new experiences. I don’t give myself credit for being that person for myself because it’s not the same and I’m so busy thinking about not having someone to be there for me. But the reality is that I have been that person for myself for a very long time, through some very extreme circumstances, and that’s an accomplishment and who I have been to myself is something to appreciate. I don’t need just anyone. It doesn’t mean I don’t want companionship, but as an addition, not as something that provides me something I don’t have now so that if I were to then lose it, I couldn’t live without it.

Because what I have now is only myself and that has to be enough because that’s all there is. None of the good things I’ve had and lost in life defined me. They were just things. They were things I loved, and losing them hurt a hell of a lot, and nonattachment doesn’t protect me from the pain of loss (of things or of people). It just allows me to look back at what I lost and remember the good parts, in this case how hard I worked for them, how much I enjoyed them during the time I had them. They are losses, but that’s not all they are. Before they were losses, they were accomplishments. Sometimes in our grief, we forget that.

🎶 https://youtu.be/JeSXEuhQKqw?si=37Imw2KK8MJHIl1o

J
#56: May 01, 2024, 09:15:23 PM
Interesting discussion on creating mental illnesses for character traits (reification, and I'm an engineer, not a writer, so this is a lousy summary) as a way to remove people's responsibility for their actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhoDnp2qA24
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.