Skip to main content

Author Topic: MLC Monster Biochemistry, Neurotransmitters, and Brain Research V

Of course it can happen to anyone. Anyone can become a mental illness sufferer and anyone can have a MLC. Mental illness is more than an organ (the bain) malfunction, since what causes the brain malfunction may come from other parts of the body. And when it is a brain malfunction it tends to affect other parts of the body. But I get the idea.

It is not a novelty that stress, hormones, illness, life style combined or on their own can bring changes in personality. We have been talking about it for years.

As for the affected parts of the brain, since most of us are not neuroscientists and the same is true of our MLCer, we really don't know which ones are affected or affected the most. The pre-frontal and/or frontal cortex probably are, but others parts may be as well.

What we hardly ever discuss here is how the person goes back to normal. What makes it happen? Why/how does it happens? We don't really know.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

k
Mental illness is more than an organ (the bain) malfunction, since what causes the brain malfunction may come from other parts of the body. And when it is a brain malfunction it tends to affect other parts of the body

Yes of course.  Organs are part of a whole body system. 
I think what the writer was pointing out, was that by the time it affects the brain, you are then dealing with behaviours that are not character flaws. 

Something that we have discussed at length on these threads.  Dr Amen always talked about looking at the physical brain first when working out why people behaved badly.

What we hardly ever discuss here is how the person goes back to normal. What makes it happen? Why/how does it happens? We don't really know.
We don't but we have surmised that if it is an inflammatory process that has caused the disorder, there is an opportunity for the inflammation to resolve (for example). A cyst or tumour - if removed may have the person recovering.
Not all will be caused by inflammation.  We have discussed many potentials in the past, and there are likely a plethora of different reasons that give rise to the disordered behaviours and thinking.

And we have also discussed the research that shows the longer these disorders remain untreated, the higher the incidence of the person developing dementia (one of many types, not just the best known - Alzheimers).

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:42:24 PM by kikki »

I think what the writer was pointing out, was that by the time it affects the brain, you are then dealing with behaviours that are not character flaws. 

True. But this is also valid for hormonal problems (thyroid or peri-menopause for example), non-brain cancer, and several other non-brain illnesses and even for minerals and vitamins deficiency.

People behave badly for many reasons. Brain, body, brain & body, situations that deliberatly alter those (drink, drungs, lack of spleep), ambient, pack mentality, etc.

If it is an inflammatory process. Which we don't know if it is. Depression does not tend to be considered an inflammatory process. Then again, there are many ideas of what depression is, usually unbalanced brain chemicals, that idea is becoming old and researchers are looking for new things.

Depression has, of course, several causes. Hormones, like in post-part depression or thyroid. And the truth is we still don't know enough and still don't manage to cure it, aside from its mildests forms or the ones connected to hormones.

Mental illnesses other than depression still have no cure. And, despite years of HS, we aren't any close to really know what is going on, on our MLCer end up in crisis - what is being affected in their brains and bodies and how it tend stops affecting brain and body.

I would say that a change of lifestyle can do wonders. With Mr J, leaving clubbing and djing life aside would help. Not sort it all out, but her. Stop drinking would also help.

The problem is that MLC ends up leaving many, if not most, MLCer with a wide range of problems. The longer the crisis goes on, the more problems the MLCer is left with.

If these illnesses left untreated may, or may not lead to a higher incidence of  Alzheimer's is a though some scientists and doctors have, but it is not a certainty. If Alzheimers is a protein, or protein related, or a virus, as it is now thought, those illnesses may, or may not, play a part.

We don't know if MLCer have a higher risk of having Alzheimer's than other people because there are no studied about it and on HB we still haven't reach a point where we can start to say it is so.

Much we now know about the brain, it still remains a big mistery. We know more and more, are able to do things that weren't possible, but we still have a long way to go.

And we still haven't found a way to put an end to MLC.

I feel we have been through all these issues for years on end and are still pretty much where we were at first, we don't have a clue how MLC really works on a brain level, we don't know how to cure/end it and we don't know how the person goes back to normal. Just that many MLCers go back to normal.

Strange it may sound, I have become a little tired of neuroscience and went back to my usual world or arts & culture. I know a little more than the basics of neurosciene/neurobiolgy, but I am not a scientists and there really isn't much I can do with that knowledge.

What I know is enough to understand what happens if a person has a stoke (a real life hepful thing), and so, much it doesn't really have much use when it comes to MLC. 

I am enjoying a lot reading fiction, poetry, history/history of art/about art in several languages, watching movies and TV series, going to art shows, etc. again.

I am also a little more than bored with MLC. It never changes, they is no progress, no new discoveries of ways of solving the matter.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

k
Nodding my head at all of it Anjae. Science is far from an exact science. 
Scientists have theories and hope to 'prove' their theories correct. Then someone else comes along only to prove that their (sometimes) opposing theory is correct too. 

The brain really is like the last frontier, so very very little is known despite recent advances.

And yes, we have been involved in this for many years with no progress. 

It's great that you are returning to your loves of 'reading fiction, poetry, history/history of art/about art in several languages, watching movies and TV series, going to art shows, etc. again'. 

It's important that we all return to our happy places.

As the neuroscientist stated, she is 'impatient with the slow progress'.  So are we. 

As the neuroscientist stated, she is 'impatient with the slow progress'.  So are we.

Indeed.

V
Re: Biochemistry, Neurotransmitters, and Brain Research V
#65: November 08, 2018, 12:33:55 PM
Has anyone investigated this route?

Atypical behavioral and psychiatric symptoms: Neurosyphilis should always be considered
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4636106/

"Many of those patients had characteristics of more than one syndrome, including cognitive impairment, personality disorders, delirium, hostility, dysarthria, confusion, disruption of their sleep–wake cycle, fecal and urinary incontinence, dysphoria, paranoia, hallucinations, expansive mood, and mania. These results indicate that NS mimics almost all psychiatric disorders."

Neurosyphilis arises from untreated syphilis.

#66: November 08, 2018, 02:25:00 PM
Don't think so.  But I can assure that Mr J didn't not had syphilis. Therefore, that cannot be the cause of his MLC.

If our MLCers had syphilis we would know it. It shows in other places, not just on the brain. It also shows on blood tests.

And it does not go back to normal after MLC.

P.S.: V, at this point, I think that what we need is to find a way of solving the problem, not to explore more avenues. I am all for new avenues, but we are as unable of solving MLC as we were decades ago.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:41:13 PM by Anjae »

V
#67: November 08, 2018, 03:05:53 PM
Anjae, I think you should change this to your signature:

And it does not go back to normal after MLC.

P.S.: V, at this point, I think that what we need is to find a way of solving the problem, not to explore more avenues. I am all for new avenues, but we are as unable of solving MLC as we were decades ago.

Yes, of course, we cannot resolve MLC on a discussion board with no funding, no test subject, no lab, no mandate.

Do most really go back to normal? I think if this means the living body of your former spouse one day wants to return home because he decides it's in his best interest — yes, maybe. What I read here shows that even when it's a "successful" ending there is some lingering impairment.

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#68: November 08, 2018, 03:17:22 PM

Do most really go back to normal? I think if this means the living body of your former spouse one day wants to return home because he decides it's in his best interest — yes, maybe. What I read here shows that even when it's a "successful" ending there is some lingering impairment.

I don't think truer words have ever been said.   
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

#69: November 08, 2018, 03:35:59 PM
V, yes, both HS and real life show most go back to normal. What lingering impairment.? I don'thave one. My counsin who had MLC does not have one. Real life people I know who had MLC don't have one.

What you see here is people with spouses still in MLC, not the spouses after MLC. RCR's husband does not have any  lingering impairment. Nor does Stayed husband's. Nor does any of the spouses of those long reconciled.

Those in reconnection? Of course there is still lingering impairment. Their spouse is still in MLC.

We have no fouding, but shoot left, right and center and every time it is a different thing that cause it does not work.

We have more subject tests than many studies. You also have all the LBS who have had a MLC of their own. Something several LBS conveniently tend to leave out. I think we know a tiny bit more about MLC than LBS who did not had a MLC.

And syphilis can be ruled out. Syphilis has very visible physical effects. Poor LBS whose spouses returned if they had syphilis. They don't, otherwise said LBS would know.

We can't get anywhere is one day we think MLC will happen regardless what we do or don't do because it comes from childhood issues and the next thing it is syphilis. Syphilis does not come from childhood issues.

Do you think your MLCer has syphilis? If you do, syphilis will not go away unless it is treated. With penicillin or an equivalent antibiotic for those allergic to penicillin.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.