Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Forum rebuild

S
  • Administrator
Discussion Forum rebuild
OP: February 25, 2020, 04:00:34 PM
Ok, after much d!cking around, I've installed the rebuilt forum and will leave it running.  We've moved to a different host, you've probably noticed everything loads much faster.  This is a clean install connected to the production database, all previous content should be intact.  There will be some clams here and there, and I still have a few things to finish up, but forum should be pretty much fully functional.

Yes, it looks different.  The new theme has been modified to match the existing color scheme, but things have been moved around.  The theme is responsive, it will reformat to fit smaller displays so you can view it on a tablet or phone, that requires rearranging things a bit.  If you really can't stand it and prefer the old theme, you can change it in Profile -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme, click (change) and select Curve Multi Color.

Comments and questions should be posted here.  Please report any problems you run into, anything that doesn't look or work right.  Thanks for your patience.

M
Forum rebuild
#1: February 25, 2020, 04:20:34 PM
I hate to complain, maybe it's just me, but I really dislike it when the forum keeps changing. It's happened so much lately.

We are here because of the terrible things that happened to us that we could never have expected. Any change is a trigger for us. Stability really helps us. I wish the forum wouldn't keep changing.
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

S
  • Administrator
Re: Forum rebuild
#2: February 25, 2020, 04:48:14 PM
There were several reasons for upgrading the forum, mostly involving server issues, the general wear and tear the software accumulates over time, and the lack of a responsive theme for mobile users.  It had reached a point where the forum was very slow, logging a lot of errors, it was difficult to determine which modifications were installed and working, and the server was choking on the large database.  We had patched things up previously, and tried a couple of mobile themes that weren't well received, but at some point you have to clean things up in order to continue serving the membership properly.  The main difference is the theme, I've reinstalled the previous theme (Curve Multi Color) and you can switch back to it in your Profile.  That will make things look and work the same as before. 

Forum rebuild
#3: February 25, 2020, 05:01:41 PM
Thanks! Working much cleaner and quicker. It May take a minute to get used to the new look and feel but I think it’s a big improvement - thanks for the hard work - these migrations aren’t easy!!
BD End of April 2017
Moved out - kind of, May 2017
Denied affair
Cycled hard April - Oct 2017, my son figured out affair, I confronted husband, we were going away as a family for the weekend - H monsters hard and files for a D end of Oct, 2017
D final Sept 2018
Many touch and goes
He lives in monster, kids haven’t been with him overnight since Jan 2019
Moved in with MOW, a former friend of mine, May 2019

s
  • Mentor
#4: February 25, 2020, 05:09:01 PM
I like it!  Well done Sir Osis!!!!   :D
Married 42yrs.
Reconciled July 5, 2006

"Don't be so open minded your brains fall out".  by Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.
"We believe marriage is sacred, but it is not our job to save marriages; it is our goal to empower each of you to save your own marriage."

Stayed Husband Letter
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions for Newbies
The Mentor Program
LBS SCRIPT

• Mentor
#5: February 25, 2020, 06:00:35 PM
I can not access anything!
The whole site looks absolutely weird.  Whole format is strange looking.
Like I see the number of posts but not from who.  No member names anywhere.

RCR here trying out a feature of this theme. There is a Modify Inline feature--probably just for moderators. So apparently we can edit without opening a new page. The post just becomes editable right in the thread. I can't format--no post box with all the tools, but still pretty cool feature if we want to break a long post into paragraphs or remove something against Code of Conduct.
Thunder The member names are there, but instead of being in a separate column they are on the main column in three lines.
Ex for this thread
Line one is the title: Forum Rebuild
Below is lien 2 which gives the name of the topic starter: Sir Osis
Line 3 gives the date of the most recent post on the thread.

I like the other format with columns too, but admittedly that could be because it's what I'm used to--it was that way for almost 10 years!
-End RCR-

What changed from earlier when it was working fine?
Hope you can get this post.

Thunder

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:17:06 PM by Rollercoasterider »
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

s
  • Mentor
#6: February 25, 2020, 07:31:04 PM
Sir Osis:
Something I would like to see would be a "like button".  It would save us from having to repeat stuff that's already been said.  It would be an easy way to reinforce how IMPORTANT that point is... at least to each of us.  Probably stop a lot of repetition.

Just a thought!

Stayed
Married 42yrs.
Reconciled July 5, 2006

"Don't be so open minded your brains fall out".  by Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.
"We believe marriage is sacred, but it is not our job to save marriages; it is our goal to empower each of you to save your own marriage."

Stayed Husband Letter
The Hero's Spouse Mission Statement
Survival Instructions for Newbies
The Mentor Program
LBS SCRIPT

Forum rebuild
#7: February 25, 2020, 07:52:59 PM
It is fast (very nice)..... but I don't see where to change back to the old theme..... it's not under "Look and Feel".

I'm sure the new theme is nice, but I really liked the old one  ;D (it was smaller and had more posts viable, very efficient for a desktop user).

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

• Mentor
Forum rebuild
#8: February 25, 2020, 07:59:31 PM
This is working much better for me on my phone and tablet. Phone Samsung Galaxy S5 tablet Galaxy tab 4.

As a suggestion for anyone who is having technical trouble, you might mention what kind of device you are using to access the site. Maybe apple phones have a problem or MSI laptops with a specific graphic card.

Thank you for your hard work, Sir Osis.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

m
Forum rebuild
#9: February 25, 2020, 09:11:43 PM
Thanks things are running great, but I also would like to switch layouts if possible. The new layout is very space inefficient and displays in a much more delicate font, making the entire post threads harder to read with less information displayed per page. The look and feel does not have a theme setting that can be changed, only emoji sets and other misc settings.
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.