Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Forum rebuild

• Administrator
Discussion Re: Forum rebuild
#80: March 06, 2020, 11:01:26 AM
All logins should be forever, will check the code tonight to confirm that.  Are you using header login or login window? 

Just looked, header login is set for forever, login window has session length option, default is 60 minutes.  I'll remove that and make it forever.  Which are you using?
I have tried both of them - as of just now - with the same result - I am logged out as soon as I close the window.

S
  • Administrator
Re: Forum rebuild
#81: March 06, 2020, 06:56:57 PM
Which browser are you using?  Can you try a different one?

• Administrator

• Administrator
    • The Hero's Spouse
#83: March 07, 2020, 06:57:33 AM
As for me, I'll let you know after a few days regarding begin logged outl.
I am using the AVG protected Chrome. It keeps me logged in for a few days and then logs me out. I use the login at the top left on the index. I only get to the screen with a fuller form in the middle of the page if I make a mistake--wrong name or p-word. It has recently been defaulting to my entire email address which is not correct here and I can't see the entire thing, so it looks correct!

S
  • Administrator
#84: March 07, 2020, 04:08:27 PM
Which browser are you using?  Can you try a different one?

Interesting - yeah that fixed it.

Might of had a corrupt cookie.  Clearing history should get rid of it.

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#85: March 09, 2020, 05:16:33 AM
Sorry but..... (The links open to Screen Shots) There is a difference between the SMF Default and the Ant Mutant (New) Theme

In the SMF Default Curve Theme, it looks like this
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pk0Nd6GnU0UnKDmonAQEUK0kkSWbaeMb

In the Ant Mutant (new responsive theme) it looks like this one
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYRPBH-d1Mggjk7oY1v4p1la3NB_uF-f

Don't see the editor in either screenshot.  It's the same in both themes, just the buttons are in different locations.  The editor is not in the template, it's either in a source file or js.  Themes basically just modify templates, css, and images.

OK.... Here you are.... Both trying to modify an existing post (this one)
Inline Editor in Ant https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i1UU-ywOlS8B7q9buoVv9GEF60gqULz3

Editor in Default SMF https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FTQ2gQQiCN9ygnvyvcO8jnmGLPU8ra0c
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

S
  • Administrator
#86: March 09, 2020, 10:02:37 AM
For reasons unknown, am unable to post images with external links.  See attached.

• Mentor
#87: March 10, 2020, 06:32:59 AM
OK, then what is THIS button (circled in the upper right) for. I expect that most will use this button to edit their own posts as it is labelled rather than the unlabelled button in the lower right... That button (upper right) is the one I used to try to modify posts...
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

S
  • Administrator
#88: March 10, 2020, 01:48:42 PM
The Modify button takes you to the post editor (different page).  Inline editor opens an edit window in the post itself.  Mutant Curve has the Modify button in the More Options dropdown.  There's a lot of duplication in SMF templates (multiple search features, logins, etc.), I think because devs had different ideas and no one could decide which was best, so they did both.  Adds a lot of clutter, I've removed some of it in themes I've used on my own forums.  Some of these things are to accommodate the many different mobile displays.

• Mentor
#89: March 11, 2020, 04:44:40 AM
The Modify button takes you to the post editor (different page).  Inline editor opens an edit window in the post itself.  Mutant Curve has the Modify button in the More Options dropdown.  There's a lot of duplication in SMF templates (multiple search features, logins, etc.), I think because devs had different ideas and no one could decide which was best, so they did both.  Adds a lot of clutter, I've removed some of it in themes I've used on my own forums.  Some of these things are to accommodate the many different mobile displays.

OK... From what bits of "evidence" I have been able to put together so far, the Post Editor seems to handle the single left and right quotes OK. the Inline editor seems to munge them into UniCode. What I have also noticed is that, for example, I am using an "English - International" keyboard setting and the single quotes are straight (like an apostrophe). The ones that get munged are the 'real' left and right single quotes (maybe because it is a Serif font initially? SWAG here) but that also doesn't seem right as TNR (which one can select from the Editor is also a serif'd font.... I had thought it might be specific to Apple devices as many that were seeing the UniCode had initially posted from an Apple device but then R2T (I think) shot THAT theory down as she was using FF on a PC....

Quite the "Whodunit"

Later addition: For what it is worth, I have just verified that the Post Editor
Quote from: Sir Osis
The Modify button takes you to the post editor (different page)

does NOT munge the stuff (including various emojis) into UniCode but the Inline Editor does (Checked on "Melinda's" thread and had to edit her first post massively as all the quote marks turned into UniCode when all I wanted to do was to put in a few line breaks)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:52:15 AM by UrsaMajor »
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.