Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story His MLC and my journey

I
My Story His MLC and my journey
#110: June 12, 2023, 11:10:33 PM
So happy, for you and your family! Please continue to check-in periodically and let us know what your process continues to look like. Wishing you all the best!!

F
  • Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves
His MLC and my journey
#111: June 13, 2023, 09:41:25 AM
Your story is great ! Thanks for sharing it and congratulations to have been so strong and persistent. I wish the best to you and your future ex ex husband !
M 44, W43. Married 18 years, together 21
3 children D17, D15, S6
OM discovered Dec 22, BD Jan 23 (few days after)
W still living at home
Aimer, c'est donner sans attendre de retour et tout acte est prière, s'il est don de soi (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)
Love means to give without expecting return, and every act is a prayer if it is a self-gift. (thanks OffRoad !)

W

WHY

His MLC and my journey
#112: June 13, 2023, 12:09:59 PM
Kell is a hero here.  Im always blown away at your story and am so happy for you.

Congrats and I wish you many years of happiness in the future!!

t
His MLC and my journey
#113: June 14, 2023, 09:18:23 AM
What an amazing update Kell!! Best wishes for a wonderful future ahead (and of course, keep us updated!) :)
B

M
His MLC and my journey
#114: June 15, 2023, 04:56:48 AM
Congratulations KellB!! I was hoping that it was all good news and it was not a disappointment . Very happy for you and your family!!
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

t
His MLC and my journey
#115: June 22, 2023, 01:45:57 AM
So happy for you KellBell! It's so great to hear that there are cases where they return early and do the work necessary!
Together for 15 years, married for 4 years
H: 33, me: 33, D: 1,5
BD: april '22 (EA + 'I want to live alone, have no responsibilities')
Left home: june '22
Divorce final: october '22

“They didn’t cheat because of who you are. They chose to cheat because of who they’re not.” ~ Charles J. Orlando

C
His MLC and my journey
#116: June 22, 2023, 08:54:12 PM
Wow, KellBell, what a journey you have had! I am so happy for you and wish you all the best!

K
His MLC and my journey
#117: September 04, 2023, 05:47:44 PM
Hey- just checking in and thought I would journal a few things.

First off- we’re officially official again! Married and heading off on our honeymoon this week. We got married on our old anniversary. Weird but seemed right. Now we’re wondering how to count our anniversaries going forward…23 years from the first and then add the years from the second? It’s crazy but a good problem to have.

Secondly- one of the biggest life lessons I’ve learned through all of this is… No matter how much I want to I can’t fix anyone or their lives. That goes for my husband, my adult kids, my brothers, my mom, my bestfriend etc. I can help and will always be here ready and willing but I’m done fixing. It was a lot of stress/work for me and robbed them of the ability to figure things out. This was one of my husband’s biggest hurdles- his mom and I always doing and fixing. He never learned total self reliance and/or appreciation for those who were doing things. It became expected. And I’ll be damned sure if my adult kids turn out that way. It’s also healthier for me.

Thirdly- I’ve noticed more and more people in my life going through a midlife crisis and my heart breaks for their families. It’s so tough. And crazy because it’s so obvious from the outside looking in. For some you have to just watch the self destruction and for others you comfort and love those picking up the pieces. Three years ago I would thought this was a cliche or a rare occurrence. It’s sad.

And lastly- a check in from my husband. We don’t talk a lot about his crisis. He’s still confused on why he felt so sure I was problem when he can clearly see now that alcoholism and depression were to blame. He apologizes a lot and gets nervous if he thinks I’m upset. He thinks I’ll leave. Low self esteem is an issue he’s dealt with the majority of his life and that mixed with the guilt of everything he did- leads to unsureness and apologies. He’s working his way back though. He’s still working on his addiction and depression but that will be life long work. And like I said before I wish I could fix it for him but I can’t and I wouldn’t. It’s hard but he can do this and the growth he’s shown is mind blowing. I’ve told him about this forum and at some point he wants to share his side. He’s started reading my story but had to stop. The truth is really hard to hear (or read) sometimes and sometimes it’s easier to take in in small amounts. He did say he was happy to know how the story ends.  ;)

Anyway- I think that’s all from this side.
YOU keep interrupting his crisis. YOU keep him distracted with all your questions, statements and observations. YOU keep him from facing himself, from feeling the pain of missing his family (until he is ready to do something about it...or not ). YOU are keeping him from fully feeling and facing the man he is.  Leave him 100% to his own devices and crisis ...100% shut it all down.  Bow out...its not about you! I sometimes feel they have stranded themselves on some deserted island. They have done that to themselves as a result of their own actions, choices, behaviors. They need to figure out how to get off the island...the messy painful island they put themselves on. Stop taking him fresh water, food, homemade baking, clean clothes etc....why would he try to make himself better?

M
His MLC and my journey
#118: September 04, 2023, 06:31:20 PM
Thank you for the update and congratulations. I read a man’s midlife story. I may have out it in the reconciliation journal, but he and his wife divorced and remarried and he said they ignore those missing years. So, if they were divorced for 5 years they don't care. They consider they were never divorced. I think that is a lovely way to handle it.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• Mentor
His MLC and my journey
#119: September 04, 2023, 06:49:28 PM
Thank you for sharing Kellbell and much happiness to you both.
I know a couple who were apart for 18years…crazy…I attended their 50 th wedding anniversary and I think they counted from the date of their original marriage. It’s totally up to you.

Your husband will do the work or not. As you said, you cannot help others or fix them.

And lastly- a check in from my husband. We don’t talk a lot about his crisis. He’s still confused on why he felt so sure I was problem when he can clearly see now that alcoholism and depression were to blame

Several MLCers have said this and I trust that this is quite true. Whatever happens during their crisis, they don’t know why they did some of the things that they did.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.