Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story How to help your depressive kids

A
My Story How to help your depressive kids
OP: August 18, 2023, 03:53:46 AM
My daughter is depressed bc of her father’s affaire. He moved out in January 2023. In April my daughter became depressed. Didn’t want to go to school anymore. Now she is getting therapy. She hardly comes out of her room, hardly eats, hardly sleeps. She doesn’t want to talk about what she is feeling inside. She told the therapist that she feels bad bc of her father’s behavior. He lived at home for two years while having an active affair. We never talked about it. The kids watched him come and go. It was a very toxic situation. Everyone was tiptoeing around him. For a long time we were afraid that he would leave us. It’s a relief he has gone now. But my daughter got into a depression and it seems it gets worse. How did you help your child?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 03:56:59 AM by Akkie1973 »
Female LBS born 1973
H, born 1969, was triggered into MLC around 2018
BD 11/2020
Married 09/2005
Together since 11/2002
2 kids S 2006 D 2009
Alien since 09/2020, former coworker
In home MLC  till  1/12/2023 clingy boomerang

How to help your depressive kids
#1: August 18, 2023, 07:05:53 AM
Not a parent so my advice is not worth much, but I’m sorry bc this must be a terrible worry for you.

How old is your daughter? How long has she been seeing a therapist? What, if anything, have they advised you to do or not do to help her get her feet back under her?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

A
#2: August 18, 2023, 08:05:02 AM
Hi Akkie,

First of all, (((((HUGS)))))

It’s one thing for LBS to be faced with the heartache of marriage breakup, it’s quite another to see our beloved children in a dark place.  I can say this from my own experience.

The fact that she is seeing a therapist is positive and I hope you can gently encourage her to continue with her therapy.  I know for a fact that having regular therapies was immensely helpful and comforting to my 3 children (mid teen to early 20’s at BD).  They still check in with their therapists every 6 months.

I need to add that their situational depression and anxiety solely came from H’s total emotional abandonment of them — we were not aware of his affair. The fact that your family was aware of his affair for 2 years he was still living at home must have felt excruciatingly painful and added another layer of trauma.  I’m so sorry….

As you know well that you cannot fix another person but you can be there for them 24/7 with unconditional love and a willing ear. If I may share,  in my personal experience, unconditional love necessarily includes patience, understanding, respect for inalienable dignity of all human being, and unambiguous boundaries — quite similar to how we would treat our wayward spouses. 

I wish you and your daughter speedy healing. 

Again, (((((HUGS))))))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 08:13:09 AM by Acorn »
Feb 2015: BD. 
Dec 2017: Seriously reconnecting

H never left home.

A
#3: August 19, 2023, 01:10:39 AM
Not a parent so my advice is not worth much, but I’m sorry bc this must be a terrible worry for you.

How old is your daughter? How long has she been seeing a therapist? What, if anything, have they advised you to do or not do to help her get her feet back under her?

She is 14 yo. Last Tuesday she got her first therapy session. She gets psychomotor therapy. Two days later we had a talking session with two other therapists. She hardly said a thing bc she can’t. Family therapy isn’t an option bc she doesn’t want to talk. And it’s not me who  she has a problem with. That’s her father. And she is not ready to talk about it with him.  Neither is he, but that is not a big surprise.

She can’t go to school.  She didn’t go to school now for a few months. Recently she asked her father to give her some money. She is convinced that he spends more money on her brother than on her, which is true, sadly. But he refused at first and when she asked him why do give money to my brother and not to me he said bc your brother goes to school…That was a punch in the face. I called him out on that and told him he can’t say those things bc he makes it worse. We are her parents and we have to protect her. After that he gave her a small amount of money. Childish!
Female LBS born 1973
BD 11/2020
Married 09/2005
Together since 11/2002
2 kids S 2006 D 2009

A
#4: August 19, 2023, 01:13:02 AM
Hi Akkie,

First of all, (((((HUGS)))))

It’s one thing for LBS to be faced with the heartache of marriage breakup, it’s quite another to see our beloved children in a dark place.  I can say this from my own experience.

The fact that she is seeing a therapist is positive and I hope you can gently encourage her to continue with her therapy.  I know for a fact that having regular therapies was immensely helpful and comforting to my 3 children (mid teen to early 20’s at BD).  They still check in with their therapists every 6 months.

I need to add that their situational depression and anxiety solely came from H’s total emotional abandonment of them — we were not aware of his affair. The fact that your family was aware of his affair for 2 years he was still living at home must have felt excruciatingly painful and added another layer of trauma.  I’m so sorry….

As you know well that you cannot fix another person but you can be there for them 24/7 with unconditional love and a willing ear. If I may share,  in my personal experience, unconditional love necessarily includes patience, understanding, respect for inalienable dignity of all human being, and unambiguous boundaries — quite similar to how we would treat our wayward spouses. 

I wish you and your daughter speedy healing. 

Again, (((((HUGS))))))

Thank you for your advice!
Female LBS born 1973
BD 11/2020
Married 09/2005
Together since 11/2002
2 kids S 2006 D 2009

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Re: How to help your depressive kids
#5: August 19, 2023, 04:41:18 AM
If you have an equine therapy program near you it may do wonders. It opens the door for your daughter to speak her trauma and yes, it may be to the horse, but it is a first step of letting it out. Even without an official program, if there is a barn near you that offers access to horses, either as a job helping out or helping out in exchange for lessons, it could be a path forward.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.