Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story 9 years later....

S
My Story 9 years later....
OP: April 24, 2023, 07:24:59 AM
Would someone mind attaching my posts.  I tried, but it didn't work.  Thank you

Previous thread:  https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=10802.0
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 05:22:20 AM by Thunder »
H:56, I am 54
BD: March 2014, Left Sept 2014, Back Nov 2014
Left again in February 2015.  Asked for D on 9/22/15
Said he was "sure" he wanted a D in Dec 2015; 
Admitted long term affair - May 14, 2017 - says he is in love with the "symptom" but wants to build a relationship with me with "clear expectations" WHATEVER THAT MEANS!  Settlement Agreement signed 9/20/17.
Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

S
9 years later....
#1: April 24, 2023, 07:40:12 AM
Saw him this weekend after many years.  We both attended a family function.  He brought OW.  Has been with her since it all started in 2014.  He divorced me, after clinging for several years in 2018.  No contact or very little contact other than financial matters since the separation agreement in 2017.

For a man who cried and told me how much he loved me (Fall 2017), he basically ignored me during the event.  I went up to him and said hello.  He kissed me and said I looked beautiful.  A few short sentences later, he was off and never even said goodbye when the event was over.  Same type of contact with my family - not even a goodbye.

I am exhausted - can barely type.  So disappointed.  It had nothing to do with her.  He is, and will always be, a guy who does what he wants.  If he had wanted to catch up, he would have approached me, we would have found some chairs, and spent time together.  Obviously not on his agenda.

I don't want him back.  Too much damage.  I did want a baseline relationship that makes it easier for the kids and for me.  Does he hate me after I literally held his hand and loved him throughout his entire divorce.  Am I dead to him?  He didn't seem nervous, or have shame.  He seemed small and disassociated.  Lifeless.

I sent him a short text afterwards just saying that I got busy cleaning up and was sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.  That is was so nice to see him - blah, blah, blah!  Total bull but didn't want to say anything negative.  I got two words:  "Safe Travels."

He got EVERYTHING:  The girl, the money, the lifestyle.  I am the one that was reduced to ashes.  I am the one that is still alone.  How in the world could this man who adored and loved me for over 2 decades be so cold and disinterested in giving me 15 minutes of his time.  It is very sad and hurts my feelings.
Admitted long term affair - May 14, 2017 - says he is in love with the "symptom" but wants to build a relationship with me with "clear expectations" WHATEVER THAT MEANS!  Settlement Agreement signed 9/20/17.
Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

• Mentor
9 years later....
#2: April 24, 2023, 08:46:21 AM
I am sorry that contact with him shook you. Seeing them though does give us some insight into who they are now.

Am I dead to him?  He didn't seem nervous, or have shame.  He seemed small and disassociated.  Lifeless.

Something happened to them that changed who they are. I don't really understand how that could happen but as you know, we see the same story over and over again. A switch went off and they went after a very different life then they had with us.

How in the world could this man who adored and loved me for over 2 decades be so cold and disinterested in giving me 15 minutes of his time

This is something that is so incomprehensible. To not show any kindness or concern for us makes no sense at all. No apologizes, no attempt to explain and no willingness to build some kind of relationship with us...it doesn't make any sense ...but it all fits the changes that occur when they leave their lives behind and take on a completely different persona.

He got EVERYTHING:  The girl, the money, the lifestyle.  I am the one that was reduced to ashes.  I am the one that is still alone...............  It is very sad and hurts my feelings.

It is very sad and it was not supposed to be this way. I hate being alone, and although I have plenty of friends it doesn't replace my longing for an intimate partner. It is the way I am hardwired. Sometimes my life feels very much like groundhog day. Get up, turn on my computer, eat breakfast....stuff to do in the day, generally eat dinner alone, watch tv, go to bed. I like to travel but most of my friends are couples and travel with their spouse or their kids, or they cannot afford to travel. I found traveling alone less than satisfactory.

The contact we have now is beneficial for our daughter but it is very superficial between us....I don't ask him for anything, I don't contact him but still respond to his texts..which are usually "jokes".

I accept that the memories are still there of what we used to have, which was a life I loved with a person I loved..I accept that this is gone. In the singles groups I belong to, 90% of the participants are women so even if I could think that another partner would be a possibility (and there are many reasons I don't think that is a good idea for me) the pickings are quite slim.   ;D

I am happier than I once was but growing old alone isn't a whole lot of fun. I think there is a difference when your spouse dies, because as long as they are alive, for me anyway, his rejection of me is a problem for me. Even though I know it wasn't me it touches areas deep within, the wounding is still in our hearts.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your family....I don't think they retain much if any relationship with family members, even their children and so I wonder, how good is that? I would rather be involved with my blood family than strangers that I met post crisis but that's my need not his.

Shining, you are not alone in your thoughts. Thanks for sharing.  I hope that your find your peace again quickly...as Heartsblessing always used to say "let him blow in the wind and crack his head" or something like that.

Have a good day!

Just thought of something, several of my married friends actually seen to envy my "freedom"....some of my girl friends are finding that their husbands are in their words "becoming crabby old men" and not interested in doing things., yet they want their wives at home with them all the time..of course I remember one women complaining because her husband slurps his coffee and it drives her crazy.....if she only knew!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:55:16 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
9 years later....
#3: April 24, 2023, 02:46:24 PM
Hello,

So sorry about the family function. I remember for years that I hoped that she would do something, some sign that we would get back together-never occurred.

Does he hate me after I literally held his hand and loved him throughout his entire divorce.  Am I dead to him?  He didn't seem nervous, or have shame.  He seemed small and disassociated.  Lifeless.

No, I don't think hate fits the frame. Hate would have been bringing OW over to meet. Hate would have been complete avoidance. Instead, he demonstrated compartmentalization. You are just another box in the attic of his brain. Packed away. Doesn't want to or need to open.

I sent him a short text afterwards just saying that I got busy cleaning up and was sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.  That is was so nice to see him - blah, blah, blah!  Total bull but didn't want to say anything negative.  I got two words:  "Safe Travels."

I get the desire, but NC is better. He didn't engage with you and you don't need to engage back-even lies.

He got EVERYTHING:  The girl, the money, the lifestyle.

No one gets everything. My ex got a lot, but she didn't get everything. What lifestyle? He's a cheater. You know it and he knows it too. That's another reason why he compartmentalizes, to push the bad away and not confront.

So, start living for you. Start building your life. If you want to lie, the next family function, get a beefy fireman to be your eye candy. LOL This isn't a competition, it is about recovering from a huge trauma that you endured. Look back at everything you have done without him. There may be a lot of losses  but there are triumphs. Pan for your own gold of success and use those little nuggets to affirm your importance and value.

Be and make your own agenda,

(((Ready)))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

• Mentor
9 years later....
#4: April 24, 2023, 02:53:03 PM
Instead, he demonstrated compartmentalization. You are just another box in the attic of his brain. Packed away. Doesn't want to or need to open.

Pure gold ready :)
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

S
9 years later....
#5: April 24, 2023, 03:33:56 PM
All words of wisdom.  Thank you for reminding me of the meaning of MLC.  I expected him to act as I do, which is to miss him, but you both are 100 percent correct - expectations can knock you down every time. 

I did realize a valuable lesson by seeing him:  he has moved on and created a whole new life, and although I have done a lot, I never gave up the idea of him coming home.  It has lived in the back of my head for 9 years.  Only the people on this forum can understand.  The world would tell me I am crazy.  I have only been out on two dozen dates since he left.  None were right for me, but my heart was still full with H, so I wouldn't have found the room even if Mr. Wonderful came by.

I have been under the covers all day feeling sorry for myself and a bit of shell shock.  However, I can see areas I have held back on in order to "unofficially" wait for him.  I don't want that any more.  I want to create a new interesting life and I want to get married again.

Unlike the beginning of the bomb drop, I only get today to be under the covers.  Tomorrow is a brand new day!

Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

9 years later....
#6: April 25, 2023, 12:06:35 AM
Instead, he demonstrated compartmentalization. You are just another box in the attic of his brain. Packed away. Doesn't want to or need to open.

Pure gold ready :)

That makes a great deal of sense to me too. As does your feeling that he seemed somewhat disassociated and lifeless. It must be a pretty strange circle to square off, the erasure of an old life in the way these folks seem to do it. I still find a lot of this mindset incomprehensible but compartmentalisation makes sense to me as a way of adapting after it.

All of which, of course, says zip about you or your value.
I’m sorry that seeing him in this way was a hurtful blip. But i’m not at all surprised, bc it seems to be how the universe often works, that it turned into a productive shift for you too.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

T
9 years later....
#7: April 25, 2023, 01:18:49 AM
The compartmentalisation resonated with me as well....

S
9 years later....
#8: April 25, 2023, 07:40:55 PM
Compartmentalizing is foreign to me.  I don't have that ability nor understand how to do it.  I didn't have a light switch that clicked off without warning and the interest to toss my lifetime love in the garbage can.  My brain - after all these years - still doesn't understand how he cut the ties, and with such aggressiveness and finality.  I have learned that not understanding is an actual answer.  After 9 years, it is my truth - I will never understand! 

Felt a bit better today.  Tomorrow I am busy all day so won't have the time to wallow.  This will be very healthy for my brain.  Also will start exercising and eating well.  I had a break for a few days. 

Divorce final 3/14/18.
NC - by choice - 1/2018

T
9 years later....
#9: April 25, 2023, 10:14:27 PM
Sorry, Shining Star -- I didn't mean that it resonated with me because I can do it, I meant that I have experienced the same from my MLCer!  It's so easy for things to come out wrong when I write them.

I am like you -- I can't do that either. 

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.