Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story How to not eat cake when you live in a cake shop?

I
  • Trial Subscriber
My Story How to not eat cake when you live in a cake shop?
OP: January 19, 2024, 07:46:40 AM
I'm currently living with my partner of almost 9 years (we're not married but have a S6 together). He has been with OW on and off for just over 2 years. It's almost 2 years since I found out about her but the signs of MLC were there for about 4 years (perhaps more) and he had another OW during that time that I didn't know about. He appears to have digested the affair/MLC script and spews it out at regular intervals.

He's come close to leaving home a few times but can't quite bring himself to do it. He says it's because of S6. If you saw us in our daily life, you wouldn't know anything was wrong. We get on well, seek out and enjoy each other's company, parent well and as a team, are affectionate to each other (hugs/kisses)... he just has a double life where every couple of weeks he disppears for a day or two to spend with OW and we are no longer sexually intimate (for last 4 months - because OW was pushing for monogamy and getting very upset. Oh the irony!) but he still checks me out when he thinks I'm not looking. He says we're not 'together' but also doesn't want anyone else to know. We sleep in separate beds. A few close friends know but our families don't (they're not very useful/nurturing/understanding) and he doesn't bring OW into our circle (or even within 100 miles of our home!).

I have got to the point where I can step back from all of this and see it for the painful-yet-fascinating experience it is. I know it's not my fault and I can't do anything to change it or force it to happen quicker. I am Standing. I am also quite tired and want OW to disappear asap so we can start on the long journey of sorting all of this mess out.

OW lives over 2 hours away, is recently divorced (just when she met H and he was in the depths of depression), has 3 teenage kids, is 10 years older than me (H has mummy issues), unemployed, very much not his physical, intellectual or even social type (H says neither of the OW are younger, prettier or cleverer than me...gee thanks!) and has become some kind of spiritual guru for H. We're not religious but he's become obsessed with some New Age spirituality and, from what I can gather, that's what they do (apart from the obvious). Oh, and send each other dirty photos. I have called her a 'mother-figure-therapist-you-can-f***' and on another occasion said it was as if he'd found God and was now in bed with the vicar. He said he wouldn't disgree with either statement  :o H only sees her every 2-3 weeks for 24-48 hours, where they run off to a fancy hotel and live in an alternative reality for the time. He says he likes her because 'she's not real' (WTF?!?). He knows about limerence and says he's definietly not in it (despite being on script) and definitely not MLC (also on that script). I feel like I'm witnessing a car crash in extreme slow-motion!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of a similar situation where MLCer is at home and there is OW.

I'm trying not to let him cake-eat but it's hard! He brings me a cup of tea in bed every morning, and if we're not on the school run, he'll climb in next to me and eat his toast. He seeks me out in the evenings to tell me about his day (often snuggles up and usually ends up chatting for hours) and he comes to ask me opinions on work etc. The boundaries are that there's nothing sexual, but there is intimacy and it has actually improved our relationship and made us closer. Think OW would hit the roof if she saw our daily interactions.

I have been GALing. Going out with girlfriends, sometimes a night away. He never knows who I'm with or where I've gone. I've told him that's a priviledge he's lost. I also don't cook for him, unless I want to. I don't clear up after him (but he still does all the laundry - result!). I've lost 45lbs, had my hair done at a fancy salon and am in better shape than when he met me. I've worked a lot on my own issues and have found a strength and resilience I didn't know I had.

I know that if we can get through this then we will be stronger than ever. I found this forum just before Christmas and it's really helped and kept me sane. I've been reading SlowFade's story thread, along with a few others, and am taking a lot from them.

Any insights or encouragement you can offer would be much appreciated.

B
  • Stand Up and THRIVE!
Re: How to not eat cake when you live in a cake shop?
#1: January 19, 2024, 07:57:14 AM
I’m part of the at Home MLC club. My W has been home since 3/23, alienator confirmed. 2 years? I’m struggling getting through 11 months. We have S15 and S18 at home with us, we coparent well, even though we barely speak. In standing, I’ve seen glimpses of core W in there so I’m not giving up.
Sounds like you’re taking this in stride, i agree there’s not much anyone can do, you just have get through it. Welcome to the Forum, lots of great people here who definitely understand and are very helpful.
BD 3/23
Standing
W Still at Home
M-48
W-46

• Mentor
How to not eat cake when you live in a cake shop?
#2: January 19, 2024, 08:52:11 AM
Welcome to HS. I am glad that you are finding it helpful.

Songanddance is a thread you would be interested in reading. Her husband lived at home for many years whicle having an alienator.

You are GALIng and walking your own journey which is very positive.

I have been "Standing" for a very long time. I was asked by another poster if I regret it...and I honestly will say, not one bit. It is the right choice for me and my family and each of us gets to decide what is right for our situation.

I don't subscribe to the phrases "cake eating" or being a "door mat". I do believe that they are in a crisis and I actually sorry for the lives they live as they search endlessly for something that will fill the void within.

My therapist said to me, as I was contemplating if I should have contact or not with my husband (he did not live here) that I can change my mind from one day to the next..it is totally my choice and any decision does not have to be carved in stone. That helped me a great deal to just be...eventually coming to an acceptance of who he is which allowed me to find peace and joy once more in my life.

Good luck, sounds like you are very aware of what is happening and are handling things well....the best we can under the circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 08:53:22 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

#3: January 20, 2024, 02:08:28 AM
Practicalities first….how old are you both? Have either of you been married or experienced infidelity before? How entangled are your finances given that you are not married? How easy would it be for you to take care of yourself and your son independently without his involvement if you needed to?

The simplest answer to your title question is to lock the cake away and hide the key. Or start selling carrots. But then you know that.  :)

It is not my place to tell you why your partner is doing what he’s doing, if he is in MLC or not, or what should be acceptable to you as a way to live your life. Or whether you should serve cake or carrots. Or how important monogamy is to you.
But it is an important question imho for you to ask yourself.
Bc based on what you post, this is a 9 year relationship with at least 2 ow that you know of over the last couple of years and one of whom is still an active player in your wider life…that’s what about 25% of your time together? So, if one were a betting woman, how does that stack up to you? What do the bare factual bones as you can see them suggest to you about him, you and how you want to live your life? And what do you want to do with that?

Bc understanding what you are trying to achieve starting from where you currently are will help you plot your own path forward to cake or carrots. And it will help us to support you better bc there are no ‘right’ answers, just the most right answer for you right now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 02:10:35 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

M
#4: January 20, 2024, 07:00:23 AM
I also think a little more details to know what this is, but the fact he is kind and snuggling seems a but against the MLC pattern and the affairs though out doesn’t then seem like a sudden flip in character. I also can not diagnose a “true” mlcer, but those things did stand out a bit that it’s not the norm when we see an MLC.

With that said, no matter if he is in a MLC or not. He clearly is in a struggle with what he wants and who he is. Protect your heart and health, because he is not right now. Keep journaling. Read and gain knowledge. It truly helps to understand where you are and what you are dealing with.

I’m so sorry you find yourself here , but there are so many here with open hearts and empathy when you need it most.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

m
  • Trial Subscriber
#5: January 20, 2024, 08:24:25 AM
There are some truly lovely, caring, and intelligent people on here who specialize in empathy.

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#6: January 20, 2024, 08:37:36 AM
Thanks for your replies Baxter1, XY, Treasur, ML, and mcm64d all really helpful.

Baxter, I definitely struggled with the first year but it's got easier with time and putting energy into myself. I'm currently reading through your threads and will reply on there once I get to the end - there are certainly a lot of similarities that I can see between our situations (and many others on here).

XY, thank you for reminding me about choice. I may well have carrot cake at the moment!

For me, family unity is super important and the person H has become is very out of character, even to the point where other people think he's gone a bit weird and they don't know the full story. He says he's got himself into a situation based on the false belief that I didn't love him (he convinced himself I was in love with our neighbour... who isn't even into women!) and now his mental health is so tied up in his A that he's worried that when he tries to stop he falls into deep depression (he's tried a few times, most of the 2 years he's not been seeing her but has been texting) and he's also enjoying himself - he says he like the attention.

I'm 44, he's 47. He's been married before (no kids) and no infidelity for either of us. Finances are separate but he owns the house and I have no rights to stay if he wants me to leave. We did the maths and neither of us can afford to live apart and also neither of us want to! We both work at home most of the time and our son has access to both of us whenever he wants (apart from school time) and we both don't want that to change. It's the point we don't get past.

The affairs were a sudden flip that happened once the pandemic hit. There was a definite change in our relationship around that time. He's got a complicated FOO and I think having our son really highlighted them (I know it suddenly made me focus on mine!) and his coping mechanism was always work, work, work and the attention/validation he got from it (he has the kind of job where he has an audience). When Covid hit, he lost his business and then his health (couldn't get out of bed for 6 months) and he decided that he'd get all his dopamine hits and attention from OW.

He acts differently, talks differently, dresses differently, suddenly thinks he's got supernatural healing powers... I got upset after Christmas as it had gone really well and I felt sad that it might be the last family Christmas (stop projecting - I know). He said it was ok because next Christmas we'd all spend it together - me, H, S6, OW and her 3x kids. Oh, and his dream situation is that we all 7 of us live together in our house and can't understand why I don't think that's a reasonable goal. He even suggested to her that he could sleep with both of us and then we'd all be happy. You can imagine how that went down...

So yeah, you couldn't make this stuff up.

E
#7: January 20, 2024, 02:38:31 PM
You see, he had convinced himself that I had fallen out of love with him. 
Projection 101

While I don't disagree with this, I have a slightly different take. Things usually tip into crisis under the weight of difficulties, during which time the crisis person's self-esteem or self worth hits a very low point. It's likely then they are looking to their spouse to notice their distress / depression, to lift them up somehow. But we poor souls, we haven't really understood the depths of what is going on, usually because the MLC did not communicate that anything was wrong. And, from my observation, this situation often occurs when the non-crisis spouse's attention may be focused elsewhere for a while. Could be for something good - new job, a success, a new baby even. Or not so good, like an illness, issues with children or parents needing support etc. And because fear of rejection and abandonment is common with the FOO that lays the foundation for crisis the MLC maybe internalises or perceives neglect. The spectre of abandonment. None of this is your fault, or about you, or any of us in fact, but I do think there is some truth in the feeling of neglect and not being loved, or loved enough (I had both stated as a 'cause' at BD). People who fear (really pathologically fear) abandonment, often abandon first. It's a very destructive defense mechanism.

This is my perception - but once the crisis begins, I don't think there's much that can be done to convince the crisis person otherwise because someone else saw an opportunity and, in the case of your H, with some great cooking and linguistic gymnastics presented a lovely vision of escape. It's a house of cards of course, but he needs to work that out. Plus the issue of not communicating his needs, fearing rejection and running away - they are for him to untangle.

And BTW, it's not how he feels about her, it's how she makes him feel. There's a crucial distinction.

So sorry you are here, but glad you found the forum and are getting some IC.

Yes, I agree completely that sometimes this is exactly what happens. I have said before that I believe this is what happened with my H.

We had 3 late teen daughters who I was driving all over the countryside to netball/parties/jobs and also teaching them to drive. I was working part time (7 days a fortnight) and he was working away (away during the week, home on weekends). AND we were building an investment house. It was nearing completion so we were paying two mortgages and therefore couldn’t afford to pay someone to do the final infrastructure work. This then fell to H on his weekends home. We were both financially stressed and life was just exhausting.

But the finish line was in sight. We just needed to get the house finished and tenants in and we could relax and take a breather. I knew therefore it wasn’t forever. I thought he knew that too. Actually I’m sure some part of him did know that. But unbeknownst to me he was feeling exactly as KD describes above. He was feeling unloved and unappreciated (as well as exhausted and depressed, both of which I did know about). Life felt blah and boring and just like a big slog to get through each day.

Enter the OW who immediately made him feel AWESOME! If you have convinced yourself you are not loved, that your marriage is not working and you see no future in that marriage, then it is no real surprise that you are open to using the limerance of a new relationship to ‘find yourself a new and brighter future’ (I know this now looking back, didn’t have a clue at the time!  :-\).

In my case (and I’m sure most others!) OW was also looking for a ‘bright new future’. She was needy, greedy and weak and she easily allowed my H to convince her that our marriage was on the rocks. That we were just like roommates, brother/sister now. That I felt the same way and I wouldn’t be surprised when he left; would in fact welcome him leaving.

He was completely and utterly SHOCKED therefore that I was so so DEVASTATED by his leaving. For us it was too late by then. He had started the ball rolling (‘this was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make’) and felt he needed to stick to his decision. When in his ‘OW-bubble’ it felt great. He didn’t have to think about the devastation he’d wrought in his ‘old life bubble’. Thinking about turning back and unravelling what he’d done must have felt impossible, and unnecessary. He didn’t need to, OW was his future now and didn’t she just cling on and promise heaven. It would all work out for the best. I would see that eventually.  ::)

So, yeah, I agree this is sometimes what happens. I didn’t get the monster that often shows up for others. I think if he hadn’t left straight away and if his relationship with OW hadn’t been just stable enough to allow him to build a reasonable new life we might have had a shot at trying again (his T&G in 2022 showed me that it would have been possible). It’s not the way my story has played out though. Other stories happen differently. No story is the same (and I’m sorry my story isn’t one of hope for a restoration). Some people DO get the chance to try again.

He acts differently, talks differently, dresses differently, suddenly thinks he's got supernatural healing powers... I got upset after Christmas as it had gone really well and I felt sad that it might be the last family Christmas (stop projecting - I know). He said it was ok because next Christmas we'd all spend it together - me, H, S6, OW and her 3x kids. Oh, and his dream situation is that we all 7 of us live together in our house and can't understand why I don't think that's a reasonable goal. He even suggested to her that he could sleep with both of us and then we'd all be happy. You can imagine how that went down...

I got this too! It’s so crazy. He kept saying ‘we need to get back to normal as soon as we can, for the kids’. And by that he meant all of us spending time together like one big happy family. He definitely envisioned family events where I’d be there with our girls and he’d be there with OW.

Hilariously, five years on, we’ve now started doing kinda this (our D25’s BDay last November and a Xmas Eve party). I’m sure though it’s not how he imagined it would be (because I don’t interact with the OW at all and just act like she’s not there). But then it’s not how I imagined it would be either. It’s been quite easy to ignore her. She really is nothing in my life.

You sound stable and strong. I can see why you’ve decided to handle your situation as you are. I’m typing this on my phone so it’s likely a bit jumbled and all over the shop. Sorry about that. Just wanted to post to welcome you and let you know I’m someone who really does understands the weirdness!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 02:40:08 PM by Evermore »
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

E
#8: January 20, 2024, 02:47:38 PM
I think the first bit of that post was from another thread! Haha, that’ll learn me to reply from my phone. It’s likely relevant here on your thread as well IATS (Sal?). So I’ll leave it 😊
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#9: January 22, 2024, 02:24:07 AM

So yeah, you couldn't make this stuff up.

You are right, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

B
#10: January 22, 2024, 02:50:36 AM
Salad,

My W said something similar - even before she met OM. 'I'll find someone new and so will you Biscuit and then we'll all go on holidays together like Gwyneth and Chris Martin' (and have to listen to Coldplay as well while we're on the beach Mrs Biscuit? - Double barf). She didn't suggest we all live together but last year was talking about 'integrating'  OM into our family - whatever that means.... I'm not sure he was so keen - he buggered off not long after!

It's just peculiar the fantasies these folk dream up.

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
#11: January 22, 2024, 07:59:46 AM
Hello,

Yes, they all pursue crazy, if not exactly insane thoughts. My ex stated, "I love you both." Sounds like a Lifetime special in the making. So, the question to the scenario is not what the MLCer requests, but how does one respond to such a mindset. I think it is a combination of empathy and setting a boundary. "I can see how having OW and me at the same time would alleviate a lot of the pain you are feeling, but it would only increase the pain for me and our child. Therefore, I would like to stop all discussion about OW in our home and if you continue to stay here that you cease all communication with her while you are in our house.  Thank you in supporting my request.

I’m sure though it’s not how he imagined it would be (because I don’t interact with the OW at all and just act like she’s not there). But then it’s not how I imagined it would be either. It’s been quite easy to ignore her. She really is nothing in my life.

In your situation, this is the truth. She is not part of your life. I know of some situation where the OW/OM is a family friend and that really creates a painful situation for all. Since you don't know her, don't make her part of your existence. Don't let her take up space in your head. She is not your problem, but has become his problem. Remember, he chose this route. Choices have consequences. Personally, I let OM occupy too much of my brain. It was all wasted thought and time. He is still in another country, I don't have a clue what he is up to,  and I really don't care.

Just know this that if it were not this OW, it would have been another OW. MLCers seek and the accept whatever comes there way when it comes to OWs. They are not special, they are not soul mates, and often, they are terrible people. Just know that the entrapment part is how the alienator makes the MLCer feel. "I know its wrong, but it feels right." "He makes me feel so sexy." "She needs me."  This list goes on and on. Making  yourself and your space safe from the alienator is a priority. This helps with your healing.

Have an amazing day,

(((Ready)))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#12: February 01, 2024, 04:14:10 AM
Thanks Evermore, The Script is real. It's uncanny. These MLCers really are in La-La Land. My H is known for constantly thinking outside the box but this is one occasion where he really isn't. The bit you accidentally quoted is spot on. I think that's exactly what happened to us. Arrival of new baby shone a spotlight on all his FOO. I clearly remember the day I saw all the trauma hit home and me thinking something along the lines of 'uh-oh' (but more sweary). That was almost 7 years ago. Dunno if that's classed as a BD? Either way, there's been a steady decline in H's mental health and ability to cope with anything. The pandemic put a stop to any cpoing mechanisms he did have. Meh.

Biscuit, I've had the Gwyneth and Chris Martin comparison thrown at me too! Unfortunately I think OW is even more of a fantasist than H is...

RTFMF, I've had 'I love you both' too! You're right that OW is not a part of my life (thank goodness!). As she lives so far away, H has to schedule in his rendez-vous in our shared diary so I pretty much know how often they see each other - every 3 to 4 weeks. I really wonder what the point is? All this hurt and he actually getting less physical intimacy than when he thought he 'wasn't getting any' with me! It really makes no sense and shows what a fantasy/escapism it really is. He wanted to 'discuss' the last date he put in the diary and to know if it was ok with me... I simply said 'It is what it is' and went back to what I was doing. It's not like he'll suddely change his mind because I don't like it! He's been reaching out for hugs an reassuranace ever since (I'm being cool but polite). She's taken to sending him little gifts in the post. Territorial p*ssing, much? They're just filling up a drawer!

I guess a hard bit is that we live in the middle of nowhere and both work from home. I've been making myself scarce and doing my own thing, not enquiring about his day (although as soon as anything good/exciting happens he comes to find me and bounds up to me like a little puppy wanting to share his news. I smile nicely and say 'well done' and resist the urge to pat him on the head) and trying not to 'fix' things. I go out with friends more (he doesn't get the details) and we've got enough space that I can avoid him during work hours.

So for me GALing is a lot of self care and stepping away from his crazy. After his last diary entry, I made sure I had a nice long, pampering shower, deep conditioned my hair and used his razor to shave my legs  ;D

Is this what a clinging boomerang looks like?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 05:54:27 AM by I Am The Salad »

I
  • Trial Subscriber
How to not eat cake when you have a lot of cake
#13: February 08, 2024, 12:32:02 PM
Aaand… Monster just entered the building. I don’t really see that very often and, wow, it comes out of nowhere and about nothing! I don’t think I handled it particularly well. He was being mean to S6 and so my Mamma Bear came out. He’s off sulking in the spare room and I’m cosy and warm upstairs but I’m left wondering who the stranger in my house is. How is it possible to change so completely? Surely other people can see it too? Why doesn’t anyone say anything?

B
  • Stand Up and THRIVE!
#14: February 09, 2024, 07:35:11 AM
Mama Bear 1 Monster 0, sounds about right to me.
BD 3/23
Standing
W Still at Home
M-48
W-46

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#15: February 13, 2024, 09:21:03 AM
Thanks Baxter! After watching S6 having a meltdown today I realised that monstering is just disregulation in adults. And the way you 'fix' both of those scenarios is to regulate yourself first. So stepping into guided meditation (never thought I'd do that!) and self-care today to try and get myself back on track. And then this happens...

How do people navigate Valentine's Day when you live in the same house? It was always a non-event with us, but OW has sent a card to the house! I picked up the post and frisbeed it at his head before he knew what it was. And now I'm avoiding him.

Does anyone else think it's incredibly rude of her to be doing this? And naive of him to think that there's nothing wrong with it and no alterior motive on her part?

I hate how I think I'm coping with things well and then something unexpected like this (why did I not see it coming?!?) comes along and derails me.

Maybe emotional heart fitness is like physical heart fitness, it's not about how high your heartbeat goes, it's about how quickly you recover and return to normal?

K
#16: February 13, 2024, 10:24:08 AM
Does anyone else think it's incredibly rude of her to be doing this? And naive of him to think that there's nothing wrong with it and no alterior motive on her part?

She's goading you. If you can manage it, ignore it. It is the best response, although I would imagine you want to frisbee her too.

K
#17: February 13, 2024, 10:24:58 AM
Oh, and it says everything you need to know about her.

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#18: February 13, 2024, 10:52:21 AM
Thanks KayDee. Thanks for the validation. I feel like she is goading me as she’s seeing him in less than 48 hours and could easily have waited. It’s a new habit she’s got into, sending things to the house. Hey ho, deep breath, be the bigger person, wait for her true colours to show (and for H to actually see them!). Breathe in through your nose… and out through your mouth… and  in through your nose…

K
#19: February 13, 2024, 11:28:28 AM
It’s a new habit she’s got into, sending things to the house.

Sounds an awful lot like Love Bombing to me. But in the early days, this will make him feel special. Yes, say your Ohms and breath deeply....

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#20: February 14, 2024, 12:15:43 AM
Sending a Valentine's Day card to YOUR house?

You got a Bunny Boiler on your hands....

But, it is giving him his Dopamine Rush.... That kind of attention is VERY seductive to a person with no internal self-esteem....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#21: February 14, 2024, 01:16:08 AM
Love the gifs UM! I guess her logic is that she’s the girlfriend (that no one knows about) and H and I only live together in order to coparent (it’s more likely because he hasn’t got the guts to leave/doesn’t really want to) so it’s ok to send stuff to him. She’s started to send stuff regularly. Disrespectful and desperate. But we knew that already, didn’t we?

#22: February 14, 2024, 01:33:59 AM
Were you not tempted to frisbee it into the bin?

Referring to your title question, there seems to be rather more cake than salad from over here in the cheap seats. Why is that, do you think? Do you believe that standing = sucking up whatever comes and waiting it out? And are you ok to keep doing this for another 2/5/more years or until ow turns up the pressure/drama as it seems she is wont to do?

My worry reading your post is that you are inadvertently normalising things that should not be normal for you and your child. Like a dripping tap you no longer hear. Again jmo, but it reads like your h is getting what he wants, ow is turning up the volume bc she wants more and you are coping the best you can from day to day bc you do not want him to leave? Meanwhile, this has all becime the new normal….tea and cuddles, a P.O. Box for ow and off he goes on his agreed schedule. Is that fair? What are your boundaries right now? What do you say No to that he wants from you?

It isn’t my place or anyone else’s place to tell you what you should or should not do moving forward. Other peoples’ version of ok varies tremendously and anyone else who has had a live in situation like this knows how difficult it can be to work out how to live beside it.

What I will say is that ow’s behaviour is a big red flag to me that she is creeping closer into YOUR life. Or at least you and your son’s home where you should feel safe and at peace. Is she being territorial? Well, yes…it’s a very ow type thing bc most of imho are a bit dysfunctional themselves. Her reasons for doing so don’t matter and you can’t control that. But what is enough or too much for you? If her gifts/cards don’t get her the centrality she wants, what if she turns up the volume more? Threatens you or your son? Turns up at the house? I know that all sounds a bit Dateline but these things can happen when you are dealing with disordered people, and I soeak as someone who found out there was an own in my situation bc I started getting anonymous death threats and faeces on my doorstep.  ::)

It may not be of your choosing but it seems as if you are part of a triangle.
How does that feel to you?
And as a clue, every time you are thinking about ow and every time you are thinking about why your partner is doing what he’s doing, you are part of the triangle. A triangle that serves others interests but may not serve yours or your sons. And the only way to get out of a triangle like that is to literally refuse to play one’s role in the assigned corner. Or does it serve you? Idk. What do you get out of being part of this triangle?

Your h has invited this stranger into the edge of you and your son’s life. He will have talked about you to her. She may well believe, bc of what he has said, that you are the barrier to their happy ever after. And she is turning up the volume. Imho that poses a risk, maybe not a huge risk but still a risk, to you and your son’s safety and wellbeing and you should behave accordingly. That you should be clear with your h (sorry, I think it’s your partner, that you are not married?) that there is a line, that your home is your home and she has stepped over the line. That either he gets her to stop sending things to your home immediately or you will have to consider taking other steps to protect yourself and your child that will change the current set up.

And you should consider what those will be, or it’s an empty ultimatum, and there is no real boundary in place. Which means you thinking hard about what you are actually prepared to do to keep ow out of you and your son’s home and life. And if the answer is nothing, then you have your answer….and will just continue to cope with whatever ow or your partner decide to do. Which of course in a way is gambling your futures on their agenda or intentions, isn’t it? And being clear eyed about the risks or costs in normalising this. Bc from the cheap seats, it’s hard to see how the situation changes as it evidently suits your partner, and maybe even you as it feels better than other alternatives, but easy to see why ow might choose to turn up the volume.

What do you think?
How ok is this situation as it is for you?
What would be worse from your pov?
What do you fear most?
What would need to change from your pov to change the current status quo?

You don’t have to share your thoughts with us but imho these are questions worth your own consideration. And we are not judging, most of us have walked this awkward balance at least for a while, and we know that it is far from easy or straightforward. And indeed that sometimes we accept or try to work around things that we never thought we would. Which doesn’t always feel great either, like being caught between a rock and a hard place. We just want you and your son to be safe, well and happy.

And, in case it helps your reflections, you posted this in your first post….

I'm trying not to let him cake-eat but it's hard! He brings me a cup of tea in bed every morning, and if we're not on the school run, he'll climb in next to me and eat his toast. He seeks me out in the evenings to tell me about his day (often snuggles up and usually ends up chatting for hours) and he comes to ask me opinions on work etc. The boundaries are that there's nothing sexual, but there is intimacy and it has actually improved our relationship and made us closer. Think OW would hit the roof if she saw our daily interactions.
Well, that sounds like quite a lot of relationship cake to me. He gets to snuggle and chat and use you as a sounding board and source of emotional support. And he gets to have those things with is too….gosh, he must feel supported to the eyeballs  ::) And tbh it sounds as if you are dancing an invisible pick me dance with ow on how ‘intimate’ you feel you are. How reciprocal is this? Do you also get the snuggles and support and sounding board you want in the way you want it? Does this sound like ‘we are not together, just coparenting’ to you? How much of your interaction is about coparenting and how much is about other things?

I have been GALing. Going out with girlfriends, sometimes a night away. He never knows who I'm with or where I've gone. I've told him that's a priviledge he's lost. I also don't cook for him, unless I want to. I don't clear up after him (but he still does all the laundry - result!). I've lost 45lbs, had my hair done at a fancy salon and am in better shape than when he met me. I've worked a lot on my own issues and have found a strength and resilience I didn't know I had.
Good for you….all good healthy stuff.
Sounds as if in some areas you are clear that he no longer has ‘husbandly’ privileges with some of the domestic stuff. And that you are enjoying some of your GAL. But it does sound as if, in your mind, he does have perhaps some other ‘husbandly’ privileges? Access to your room if carrying tea and toast? Your attention if he wants to talk about work stuff? Your implied permission to openly have his fortnightly ow schedule while presumably you pick up all of the domestic and child care stuff in his absence? So that probably raises the question of what you consider ‘husbandly’ vs ‘coparenting’ vs ‘sharing a house’ rights and responsibilities?

Just a thought…..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 02:05:18 AM by Treasur »
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#23: February 14, 2024, 08:52:32 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply Treasur. Lots to think about and so few answers!

When I got home today there was another parcel in the post. I threw it at him and told him it was disrespectful and rude and had to stop. He said there was nothing wrong with it and I had to stop policing his mail. He said this was where he lived and he can have things posted to him here if he wants to. It was his right and I had to get over it. I Monstered and he deserved it! I asked him to leave he said no, but I was welcome to leave (he thinks S6 will stay with him… he’s wrong!). I said no way to both those things.

Gah! He really is on another planet.

#24: February 14, 2024, 09:40:06 AM
So, you asked nicely. And not so nicely lol.
And this was his answer
“He said this was where he lived and he can have things posted to him here if he wants to.”

Ok
Hmmm, how does that intimacy feeling feel now….?
What this tells you is that he does not care what you want, think or feel. That is as much of a reality as the tea snuggles imho and it’s not great, is it? Technically, I guess he’s right that he can get stuff sent to him where he lives whether you like it or not.

So you get to decide if this is a real boundary for you or not. You can’t stop her sending them, and you now know he is not going to stop it just bc you asked. It sounds as if he is saying that while he lives there, tough, he will do what he wants. Very MLC ‘you’re not the boss of me’

Which suggests broadly three options….you stop caring about it or you take steps to force a situation where he no longer lives there. Or you make plans for you and your son to live elsewhere.

And some of that will depend on detail of who owns the house, your ability to finance other choices and your legal rights as a partner/co parent.
Have you taken legal advice?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 09:43:26 AM by Treasur »

K
#25: February 14, 2024, 11:38:00 AM
It's a tough old balance - not playing into the Love Bomber's hands - disruption is her goal. And, as Treasur says, not having an infringement on you safe-space. If you want to stay in the home, and you can't get him to shift, I think ignoring them is plan C. Make a shrine with them, why don't you :) or a pyre - even better. Although neither is not ignoring them. Maybe just stick them on the hallway table or whatever you would normally do.

I was once love-bombed (by a very narcissistic person). I can tell you, the bombs were all plastic crap.

B
#26: February 14, 2024, 11:48:05 AM
Personally I’d return to sender and hopefully she’ll have to pick up the return postage.

I
  • Trial Subscriber
#27: February 14, 2024, 02:10:37 PM
Thanks Tresur, KD and Baxter.

Treasur, yup, the fight response in this one is strong and his mouth is his weapon of choice. I can’t force a situation where he doesn’t live here as he owns the house outright. As a ‘common law’ partner in the UK I have zero rights, despite being here for the best part of a decade, paying half of everything and having a child with him. The only thing he’s not allowed to do is make his child homeless and I’m the primary carer (although he disputes this but it’s totally untrue) so I get to stay too. Neither of us can afford to live apart, despite respectable incomes. Rural living in the UK is wonderful in so many ways but has massive challenges. So that leaves me with the only option of  stopping caring. Which I can manage (or more correctly appear to manage) more or less so long as he’s not overtly $h!tety. He can make his own tea from now on.

KD, yes I could tell from the card what she was trying to do, that’s why I let that one slide (there’s some kind of expensive gift every time he sees her, probably paid for by her rich ex husband - definitely love bombing, I’ve thought that before)… and then the parcel conveniently a day later? I thought about letting that one go and I decided I had to say something. I know it’s what she wanted and I know that it’s all tat that gets shoved in a drawer because he’s not brave enough to bring it out into the light (a metaphor?!?). Plan C it is (although we do have a very efficient wood burner so perhaps the pyre is the way to go!).

Baxter, she doesn’t put a return address. It’s the psycho handwriting that gives it away (don’t get me started!). Although I do know where to return it to, but lack of rural postal services mean that the most efficient use of my time is to either ignore it or burn it!

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
#28: February 14, 2024, 04:24:04 PM
In the US it´s illegal to mail things without a return address due to all the terroristic stuff that has happened. You could take it down to the post office and say you don´t feel safe having packages delivered without the return address. Can´t remember where you live in the world. Be careful with the pyre- in the US it´s a serious crime to mess with someone else´s mail. I wonder if you confronted her if she´d back down. Is this considered harassment where you are? If you are the one to always get the mail how about just leaving it in the box and saying nothing? Where I am if the box fills up they just hold your mail at the post office. If that happens and you say nothing but you go get your mail at the post office then it´s on him to figure stuff out. At a minimum you could just stop bringing in his mail- don´t be a sherpa.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

#29: February 15, 2024, 12:57:25 AM
Rural uk here too, I get it.
Presume it comes through the post box….well, I’d just leave iton the mat. Wouldn’t even touch it. Woukdn’t sign for anything if that was needed. And wouldn’t discuss it again bc any arguments about it are of course feeding iw’s centrality.

But it sounds as if you might need to start thinking about a Plan B of living someplace else with your son, as he owns the house, just in case things escalate. Always better to have a plan B even if it’s an imperfect one. And stash some spare cash where he can’t get at it just in case too.

Until then, can you start arranging things in how you live in the house - and treating him - as if he is a roomate and nothing more? What could that look like?

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.