Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Reconnecting Who ever thought I would be here? Part 3

J
My Story Reconnecting Who ever thought I would be here? Part 3
OP: March 27, 2019, 11:32:44 AM
link to my previous thread https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=8589.0

Things are going well with my H.  Friends of ours asked us to go as a family on spring break and H said yes....he is closing his office, paid the $3k for the rental property and we leave on Saturday for Florida.  A week away from it all!  Honestly aside from his family's big beach vacation we go on every June....H has NEVER taken off extended time EVER in all the 22 years of our marriage to go on a vacation.  Early on it was money related, but honestly as time went on I don't think it was a priority to spend time with me or with his family.  It is so nice to have that now....it's been a long time coming!  I think about it all and I think back to how he was raised.  What his parents priorities were.  His dad really never did or still doesn't spend much time with his mom.  Sure they have been married for 52 years but really they are more irritable roommates more than husband and wife.  Crazy how much your childhood influences what you do as an adult.

But I am looking forward to this trip.  Sitting on the beach, no alarm clocks, we have a pool at the house we are renting, I picked up two of my future book club books to get reading....I am packing lots of yummy snacks and plan on making bloody marys to start the day off right!  LOL  Wish us safe travel and some nice sunny days!!!!  It's so nice to feel happy and looking forward to time together!

Me 53
H 53
Married Aug 1996
4 adult children- S24, D22, S20 & S18
July 2014 BD "thinking of divorce, let's go to therapy"
Aug 2014 to Fall 2016 weekly therapy
January 2017 BD he says he's seeing a lawyer about divorce
February 2017 OW confirmed but H doesn't know I know yet...affair began July 2014, when he decided things were bad
February 2017 I filed for divorce
March 2017 H FINALLY  admitted OW and said it was over
May 2017 H moved out
June 2017 New therapist who mentioned reconciliation as an option and we began "dating"
June 2017 dropped divorce case/H fired OW/we began serious reconciliation
May 2018 lease up on apartment and H is back home full time
Currently still seeing therapist once a month, still working through the issues we had with communication that led up to our disconnection

C
Re: Who ever thought I would be here? Part 3
#1: March 27, 2019, 01:43:37 PM
Lovely J, hope you have a great time. You’re right about modelling, we don’t learn how to be married, except from watching our parents, no wonder things can go awry 😕
Me 47
H 51
3 adult kids
BD December 2013, left home August 2014, D June 2018
OW 17 years younger

#2: March 27, 2019, 02:27:31 PM
I hope you have a lovely holiday.
You know this is MLC when you have played emotional hot potato with a pair of crotch-less tights.

K
#3: March 27, 2019, 03:47:23 PM
Jo--I am so happy for you both. Have a wonderful time with H. A new tradition it seems. And a very good one. I shall pray for sunny skies throughout the duration!
Me 50
H 49
S15
BD 5/16
H Moved out 6/16
OW--yes. Worked for H. EA turned into PA while I was in chemo. On again/off again like every high school romance

• I HAVE 2 CHOICES-BE HAPPY OR BE HAPPY
#4: March 30, 2019, 05:08:27 AM
JoJoJo must admit I haven't read your story but I'm a sucker for purple.

The wise LBS always tell us to watch for their actions. I didn't always understand what that meant.  Your post made it crystal clear what ACTIONS on their part looks like. 

Along for the ride and so happy for you.
Married 21 years
Bomb 💣 Drop O7-2014
Husband Left 09-2014
Divorce 2015
S27; D23; D20
No contact 2015-2018
Contact and Positive communication-01-2019
Unsure if he’s dating; Unsure if I'm still standing
“I walked a mile with Pleasure;
She chatted all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow;
And ne’er a word said she;
But, oh! The things I learned from her,          
When Sorrow walked with me.”
Robert Browning Hamilton

J
#5: April 08, 2019, 11:30:16 AM
Home from a week away at the beach!  We had a fun time...adults and kids.  Got a bit of sun.  Played cards, walked up to a beach front bar for drinks and fried cheese bites!  We rented bikes and rode around the island.  It was relaxing and a nice getaway.  Now back to reality.....I am a teacher so we are at the end of our school year....the countdown begins.  We are also starting the end of the year testing so really real school work is done.....wrapping things up. 

H is planning his 50th birthday "guys' trip" to Nashville and Louisville....music, craft beer and then heading on distillery tours on the bourbon trail.  It bothers me that he picks a trip like that.....make me feel like given the choice, he'd rather be with the guys and not with me.  I mean my 50th is in October.  He could have planned a nice trip for the two of us....but instead it's like this recapture your youth hanging with the guys.  I don't know.  I brought it up after a few drinks on vacation.  He thinks we need to discuss this in our next therapy session.  It's just I see so many changes in him, he has come back from the selfish jerk place he was living during MLC but....then this trip is planned and it just reminds me.  I see glimpses of that ugly attitude.  I don't know.  It bothers me. 

Me 53
H 53
Married Aug 1996
4 adult children- S24, D22, S20 & S18
July 2014 BD "thinking of divorce, let's go to therapy"
Aug 2014 to Fall 2016 weekly therapy
January 2017 BD he says he's seeing a lawyer about divorce
February 2017 OW confirmed but H doesn't know I know yet...affair began July 2014, when he decided things were bad
February 2017 I filed for divorce
March 2017 H FINALLY  admitted OW and said it was over
May 2017 H moved out
June 2017 New therapist who mentioned reconciliation as an option and we began "dating"
June 2017 dropped divorce case/H fired OW/we began serious reconciliation
May 2018 lease up on apartment and H is back home full time
Currently still seeing therapist once a month, still working through the issues we had with communication that led up to our disconnection

K
#6: April 08, 2019, 11:44:06 AM
Totally normal to be triggered by what may be construed as a replay activity. I get it. But I think it is very positive that H wants to discuss it in therapy.  I for one, always took girls trips. I stink girls/guys trips are actually quite healthy. However,  in this scenario I can see how you would feel left out again. But maybe there is an opportunity to also celebrate his 50th as a couple in addition to this guys trip.

Anyway, what I see as important here is that you communicate how this makes you feel and why. I am sure there is still some amount of self-centeredness in his not-quite-fully-cooked MLCer brain and likely has no idea that this could possibly impact you at all.

Remember, it takes time to re-build what has  been completely destroyed. Time, patience and baby steps.

Hugs friend.
Me 50
H 49
S15
BD 5/16
H Moved out 6/16
OW--yes. Worked for H. EA turned into PA while I was in chemo. On again/off again like every high school romance

s
#7: April 08, 2019, 02:32:47 PM
Attaching
Me - 31
H - 37
3 children together D6 D9 D11 (D1 D4 and D6 at the time of BD)
Together - almost 8 years

BD & MLCer moved out - November 2017
OW discovered - December 2017
Moved in with Ow - November 2019
Ow met children - December 2019

s
#8: April 08, 2019, 04:03:10 PM
How do you feel about waiting to talk with your counselor about it?  It’s totally normal to feel the way you do and you should be able to bring it up.  Back when I was being gaslit though, “let’s talk about that with our therapist” was code for, you are overreacting and I will have our MC tell you so.  Turns out, I was rarely over reacting but he got her to tell me so every single time.
H: 44
M: 45
M: 2003, T: 2001, Friends: 1996
No kids
2 dogs, 2 cats
BD1 (Summer 2014) "We aren't happy, I should move out, we should divorce"  Nothing happened.
Nov 2014 we moved across the country for H's job
BD2 (July 2015) "I'm not happy.  I want a divorce"  H moves out for 2 weeks.
BD3 (Nov 2017) H takes a new job 2 hours away and moves out.
BD4 (September 2018) OW2 discovered despite claims there has never been one.  She outs MOW1 and discloses that H filed for Divorce, but has not served me.  OW2 dumps him.

b
  • Mentor
#9: April 08, 2019, 06:17:39 PM
he has come back from the selfish jerk place he was living during MLC but....then this trip is planned and it just reminds me.  I see glimpses of that ugly attitude.  I don't know.  It bothers me. 

I think it is important to accept that "reminders" and triggers will be with us ...forever. I believe that 100%. Whenever we remember our life or look back at our history , this will forever be part of our memories . We cannot just take a pair of scissors and cut out this particular time frame. And it changed us . It was gutwretching painfull. So given all of that...how could you NOT feel "uncomfortable" about what appears to be "maybe" the actions of a "selfish jerk".  I believe it is a good idea to talk about it in therapy, we frequently take issues to our therapist. What I do see in you that is remarkable is "responding" and not so much reactivity and I am standing an applauding. It seems wise and calm on your part. I STILL can be extremely reactive ...STILL! .
Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.