Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
My Story Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#10: October 12, 2021, 01:25:18 AM
Attaching
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#11: October 19, 2021, 03:33:49 PM
Thanks for -sharing Sam. I'm following along.
Me 43 at BD
H    45 at BD
Married 11 yrs at BD, no kids,
BD May 2019 (I moved out Nov 2019)
EA or PA with ex gf (not sure), H spent 3 nights with the hoe during our vacation in July 2019, it was a friendly encounter according to H
H wanted D April 2020 seeing suspected OW2 (divorced with two kids) and 2 years older than him, H didn’t file the D
Clinging boomerang
6/21 H moved in with me; kicked him out 01/22
H turned into a vanisher, wants a Divorce, OW 3 (16 years younger and extreme sporty)
14.11.22 Divorce final, I'm done

• https://affaircare.com/the-180
Re: Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#12: October 28, 2021, 11:58:24 AM
Welcome UM and DF!  Hope you are both well!

So....tomorrow is Bombaversary #4.  Wow!  So hard to believe.  Never thought I would still be here....yet 4 years ago I was so broken that I couldn't imagine a life without my H for 4 years.  I dun did it and I am living life to the best of my ability.  I have found me.  I love me!  I want to keep building a better and better me!

In the past years, I would take the the BD off.  Initially it was so I could be me as far as dealing with my emotions.  I made sure I did something special every year.

This year.....well, I put on calendar last year to take off 10.29.  Today my associate says....your off tomorrow?   Me....no...no reason I am off.  Then I realized what date it was. 

Still not taking off.  No need to take off.   Tomorrow is now no different to me than yesterday was.  It is just another day to do what I want to do.  Tomorrow...I choose to work and save that day for another time!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So for awhile I have been looking back historically at things.  This time, I am going to look back just a few months.  Things are changing.  I don't know why....I don't understand why but I see they are changing and want to make note of it.  I have already notes some of it....

Since 2019, H has S-L-O-W-L-Y been drawing nearer.  Reconnecting....No  Def NOT.  But visiting more.  Calling more.  Staying in touch more but still all superficial.

It hit a height in early Spring of 2021.  H spent a lot of time with me.  He was working on a bunch of things at the house.  We were doing things together and also with the family on a regular basis. 

I came home from work one day and H was sitting on a lawn chair just staring at the yard.  I told him I was surprised to see him there.  All the projects were done and he was going away to visit ow2 the next day.   Never expected to see him.   He looked at me a bit confused.  He then stared at the floor for a bit.  Made some small talk.  He seemed like there was something he wanted to say but he didn't.  He was a clam shut off tight but just  looking into space at nothing.  Eventually he just got up and left.

After this, he started pulling away.  Growing more distant.  A bit snarky at times but never a true monster.  Testy in a way.  A bit annoyed.

He started to do less and less as a family.  He was coming around less and less.  He he was doing on a regular basis at the house....like mowing....was getting sporadic.  He quit doing my yard at the office.  He communicated less and less in all ways.  Started to not be around on holidays.  Would come to swim when the GKS were visiting but would leave before we all got out of the pool.  Like he couldn't get away fast enough at times.

For the last year, there was may 5 to 10 days a month with no communication between us.  This was initiated by him.  Starting in May, communication gaps not only got longer but they were also more frequent. 

Now the norm is that we communicate maybe 5 days a month and the rest is no communication.  The longest he has gone so far is 15 days in a row.  It is nothing for him to go 5 to 10 in a row with no communication.  They he pops up as if he talked to me the day before and jumps into convos for 1 to 2 days and then goes quiet again.   Hence, the Rinse and Repeat Cycle he is in.   

What do I do.....i let him go.   I see he is pulling away and he is choosing not to communicate.  I won't force myself on him.  I don't call or text or reach out in anyway shape or form. I just go about my life doing as I please. 

I am getting to the point where I wonder if I could ever love him again as much as I used to love him.  There are times when I wonder if we could ever make a go of it.  Right now, the man I see, I don't know and I wouldn't want him around.  The man that pops up occassionally....I still adore but I tire of the vanishing.  Mind you....I am not moving on as i am not ready for any relationship.   I just have doubts that creep in at times.

10.29.17 BD-Moved out to OW/A began in  6.17
3.5.18 OW moved away/H moved in with F
3.19.18  H moved home
7.14.18  Moved to be with OW
9.4.18  Moved back-At Parents 
11.1.18  OW back.  H living w/her in D's basement 
11.18 - H started visiting on holidays
11.26.18 Call from H.  BIL died suddenly.
1.19 - H announced  that he moved to sisters
2.19  H volunteers to house and dog sit whenever.
Spring 19  H visiting house and doing chores on a regular basis
7.20 OW2 Confirmed  5 hrs away 
Summer of 2020 Less help with chores
Early Spring 2021 - helping with chores again then stopped and is getting more distant gradually
9/21 distancing growing worse...hardly see or hear from H
4/22 getting in touch more but sporadically

#13: November 01, 2021, 10:11:05 AM
There is some movement with H.  Can't say it is all good.  Since August, H has had a major pullback.  Very distant.  Hardly seeing or talking to him.  Compared to the previous 6 mos where there was movement closer until May when it got stagnant....there is a definite pull back now.

Anyhow...about the mid of October he stopped by about 4 times.  Was here for a short spurt and with reason.  Primarily to work on the bathroom or meet with the contractor.  Didn't stay any longer than he had to stay.  Now we saw each other 4 times in the last 4 days and he mentioned possibly stopping by again today.  Who knows.....it is so odd.

Last week, H stopped by and out of the blue asked me to ride to a family wedding together on Saturday.  We did.  During the reception, he was very intent on drinking.  Free mixed drinks and beer and he ran up that tab.  Would go to the bar and come back with 3 to 4 drinks just for himself.  Within an hour he was feeling VERY good.  He even left his phone on the table and walked away...got talking...when he came back for his phone...it was about 2 hours later.  He sat beside me at the reception but hardly spoke to me.  I was however enjoying the show.  I was getting a peak into his behaviors.   He was all about attention from other people that night. 

On Sunday, he told me he had plans but still agreed to go to a family lunch.  Told him where to meet me at and he told me I could ride with him.  So I did.  Why not.

We agreed to leave at 9:30.  He showed up at 9 and told me change of plans.  I got myself ready in 5 mins and we were out the door with no notice from him.  I said nothing.
The ride there was uneventful.  He played with the grandkids when we got to the park.  He was in good spirits.  At one point, we got separated by people walking between us....he looked around to see where I was and slowed down and waited for me but still kept walking in front of me. 

Once we got to the restaurant, he ordered and then he pulled out his phone and stayed on his phone playing the entire meal.  So did the grandkids.  He wasn't involved in any of the convos going on at all.

On the way home, he volunteered to help me pick up a bike I needed for rehab and made sure I noticed he was keeping his mower at my parent's house.  SIL had seen it was stored at OW1 house for a period of time.  I never said a word or let on that I knew.  Just said...well you know mom and dad don't mind.  He also made some really weird comments:

1.  We should fix the little things that need to be done on the house.  You can sell it with the market being up right now.  Get more than double what we paid for it.   I said Yes...I am sure however to buy something else means I would also be paying more than the house is really worth.  This market is gonna crash again and I prefer to not be upside down.  If anything, it would be best to refinance and consolidate.  He said....do it soon if you are gonna do it.  Bear in mind that I broached this topic a few months back and he looked at me and said "Sam,  you know I don't know a lot about that stuff."  Now all of a sudden he is a financial real estate advisor.

I quickly figured out that he recently spoke with friend J who is at the end stages of his own MLC.  He idolized J at the beginning of MLC.  Even compared us to him.  Friend J is loaded because his father died and left him a lot.  J just stole property from an older woman who wanted to sell her daughter's house.  Her D had recently died.  J heard about it before she got to the realtor.  The older woman said the house is only worth about $75000 and that is all she wanted.  J went and grabbed cash from his safe and paid her.  He took advantage of her.  The home is worth about double that and J is gonna put about $15k into it and sell it for about $225k with the current market conditions.  So H thinks we should sell our place to have the funds to buy something else like what J did.  Would find if I had a place to live...  I don't...this is my home and I will fight to keep it.  I'll buy him out before I sell it.

2.  We had planned a lunch and planned on buying but I didn't tell H.  When we were leaving, I took the bill and paid.  When we got to the car to leave, H said  "I didn't have any cash so I couldn't help pay the bill."   I laughed so hard inside.  This was not spur of the moment.  We had talked about it for 3 days.  He asked about the restaurant and the prices and the food options.  Too funny.

3.  He is on an anti-SIL kick again.   Talking bad about SIL.  Last week he was talking good about him.

There are some things he says and does that just feels like early on hard replay again....yet it is different.  I wonder if he is back into hard replay again yet not or if it just feels different because I am in a much different place now.

Where things would have hurt before or I would have taken them to heart...I don't.   I see him doing flip-flops more often now suddenly.  One time talking about fixing the driveway and a week later wanting to sell the place.  Talking about long terms dreams with the house just a month or so ago and now selling it.  Hard to tell what tomorrow will bring....I just know I can handle it.

3.19.18  H moved home
Early Spring 2021 - helping with chores again then stopped and is getting more distant gradually

• Mentor
#14: November 02, 2021, 02:50:15 AM
Quote from: Sam I Am
There are some things he says and does that just feels like early on hard replay again....yet it is different.  I wonder if he is back into hard replay again yet not or if it just feels different because I am in a much different place now.

Did he ever really LEAVE "hard replay?" Or maybe just had a momentary slow-down?
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

#15: November 22, 2021, 07:54:44 AM
UM - Do I believe it was always hard replay or a momentary slow down?  Good question!  All i know is it was always replay to various degrees. 

Part of me believes it was a temporary exodus out of hard replay because I saw some differences for over a year....BUT...he is in MLC so how do I really know.  Wishful thinking?

All I can say is that some of his actions are bringing back memories of when he was in really hard replay for about 12 to 18 mos after BD.  The time was limerence was the highest.  I was the spawn of Satan and he couldn't get enough of OW1.  Then there were changes.  Not an exit of MLC....just gradual changes over a LOOOOOOOOOOONG period of time.  Now it seems like a huge LEAP backwards.   A sudden change!

And then he changed again.  LOL!  Leave it up to MLC! 
3.19.18  H moved home

• Mentor
#16: November 23, 2021, 02:22:46 AM

And, he's off to the races... again.... Maybe (just maybe and NOT to encourage "stage watching") his cycles are getting closer together.... and h is on the way to spiraling
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

#17: December 01, 2021, 07:57:32 AM
Brief Recap of H's MLC:

Nov 2017 - Didn't visit for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Was late to Christmas dinner with his family and didn't stay long.  Didn't have Thanksgiving with his family.  They had Thanksgiving with me because not one of their own kids invited them.  MIL said on that day....I don't know what is wrong with my kids.  I didn't raise them like this.  2 of the 3 were divorced at that time and H was intent on divorcing me.

Nov 2018 - I think H came for Thanksgiving.  I don't know.   I really don't have time or desire to go back through my history right now to remember.  It just doesn't matter to me.  He had just moved in with the OW again but was hiding it.

Nov 2019 - H came for lunch. 

Nov 2020 - H came for lunch

Nov 2021 - H came for lunch.  I never invited him but I made sure he was looped into the times.  I didn't this one time.  Verbally it was brought up one time.  He never said he was coming or not coming.  He ignored like it was never mentioned.  A few days before TG, my son advised my H he was coming home for the holiday.  H suddenly started to drop hints that he was coming.  Asked what time....duh...it was in the mass email which you deleted so ow couldn't see. 

Two days before TG he said he was going to come over early.  He wanted to help me do some yard work.  He showed up at 11 and completely forgot about the yard work.  When he was leaving later in the day, he said...I might get the stuff done by Christmas.  I just don't have the desire to do yard work anymore.  Told him not to worry...I would get it done.  H said...Thanks for the help!

While there at TG, he was very distant from me.  I was distant from him.  I was too busy to pay attention to him other than he downed a lot of whiskey.  I took notice of the bottle after he left.  Half the bottle gone.  He was quick to jump into family pictures and be the center of attention.  He volunteered to get the bird out and first thing he did was grab a huge hunk of the skin before sharing with others.  He left after 4 hours and you could tell during the last hour he had already left.  He sat in a chair playing on his phone vs socializing.

Since, TG, he went quiet again.  Then will pop up for a day then quiet again for several.  Have no idea what is happening to him.

He did call me on Monday.  H sounded off.  No spirit in his voice.  I had passed him going home for lunch.  He called to tell me he put the dogs out....he drove past his parents house to see if yard work needed done.  It did but it was too cold to do.  He then told me he was going to get an estimate for repairs which he emailed to me the next day.  Then stone cold silence again.  Oh well his loss!
3.19.18  H moved home

#18: December 01, 2021, 08:09:40 AM
My update:

For the most part I am well.  Dealing with frustration from my surgery being cancelled.  Frustrated for not being able to be as active as I desire.  Frustrated from nearly constant pain. 
Frustrated with a new system at work that is driving me and my staff nuts.

Apart from my frustrations- which I can't control- I am good! 

I find myself wondering if I want H back and if so, can I live a life with him knowing what he has said and done during his mlc.  Will I really be able to put the past behind us?  Will I be able to truly forgive?  Right now I am not so sure.

Occasionally my mind wonders and I recall things and I get mad.  Will I be able to put this behind me or will I always have underlying anger of his actions and choices?

I am not so sure right now.  I won't loose sleep over it but I know longer have the confidence that WE will overcome.   I want him to come through this for himself....I just am no longer sure about what I want at the end.  Evolution of me continues.  Time will tell!

I know this means I have things to deal with and address.  I do and will continue but there are seeds of doubt about the future with H.  Especially the man who claims family is #1 for him but then turns around and said he has no responsibility after the kids turned 18.  Just...Grrrrrrrrr!  Here again, this was his tude at BD.  He expressed it shortly after he left.  So much seems to be a throwback to earlier MLC times. 

I have never really seen depression in H.  He is good at masking.  The other day, I felt like I heard it in his voice and the way he responded.  Sadly, my heart didn't break for him.  Suck it up buttercup.  Deal with your $h!te!  Don't drag me into it!  That is my new found tude to his crap!  More hard nosed! 

Time will tell!  I am not worried about it! 

3.19.18  H moved home

E
#19: December 01, 2021, 12:35:37 PM
Thanks for the update SIA. It’s funny how we evolve isn’t it. I read others’ threads that are further along and think ‘I’ll never get there’ (to where they are). And I feel that way about some other people (you get a sense of ‘where they are’ in their detachment). And yet, that changes, often surprisingly, and in spurts. You get the hint of a different way of feeling but it’s only fleeting. Then it comes more and more often. And then for some it seems to flip over the 50% mark and more often than not you’re feeling ‘the new way’ and the old feeling start to come less and less. All of that is both terrifying and comforting. I can see that you’re evolving! It’s obvious that ‘where you are’ has changed quite significantly. You sound great and like you’re comfortable with that change. That’s comforting for someone like me that’s still ‘behind you’!. 😊
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.