Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story One week after papers come through MLC wants to talk

K
I was reminded of something the other day, listening to a podcast about Oscar Pistorious. How he sobbed so much in court that he threw up. It created this pity for him, by some, but I felt at the time that he was crying for himself, not the woman he shot and killed. And it made me think of my H, and how he cries every time I see him, but then goes off and does more unnecessarily hurtful things. I know it's a bit of an extreme comparison - but it did help me see that my H's tears could have reasons other than feeling bad for his actions. He could be feeling bad for himself. I cannot know really. I only see his actions. And your H's actions. He drove off with OW. And yes, her moral compass is facing toward Hades (IMO). You sound like you are doing so well, so early in. He's a fool, obviously.

H
  • Trial Subscriber
Thanks guys.

This week has been a bloody rollercoaster - so on my weekend he came over to help with swimming as the baby had chicken pox so I couldn’t take him out - he then went and bought me flowers again from the boys and made a point of telling me this. To apologise for their behaviour the day before.. that evening I get a text asking if we still going out for a walk I  responded yes he asked to join I thought why not it’s a walk - gives me chance to see if I still even like him…

Then he decides that he gonna book tickets to Lapland uk all together the 5 if us - thinking he meant the mistress and him and the kids - no … me?!? So I expressed my concerns and led
It at that - he then decided he did want to have the ‘chat’

So we did but he’s still saying that he wants me to give up my dancing - I teach Irish dance on a Monday & Thursday for 2 hours in the evening - and I have a competition once a month where it’s a whole day thing - I’ve been doing this for 28 years not a new thing - he said he only wants to come home to me and that it was taking up our family time - I’ve compromised on so much but still it’s not enough.

So he wants me to forgive all this hurt but still give up something I love whilst he keeps his gf on the side as if he ends things with her then he can’t have his kids overnight anymore - he told me that I would win every time over her.. but he didn’t come to me with anything - nothing to bring to the table - didn’t beg.. just set his demands that he wants me to do xyz.

I work at home in a cabin (salon) in my garden - I don’t leave the house unless it’s for a school run.. so I said to him I need to do it for my mental wellbeing - he justified other woman and new relationship (obvs affair) on his mental well being as he was going insane at his mums on his own.. but I can’t go to dance..

Said he wasn’t trying to hurt me - and I said how can you not see that keeping your gf on the side whilst we talk about things is hurtful in Itself let alone all the other $h!te!

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
I’m so sorry your baby has chickenpox, poor thing. I hope he’s on the mend.

I’m not going to tell you what to do and I try not to give advice on anything other than protecting oneself financially, but I do have to say that asking you to give up your dancing is such a massive red flag that in my opinion it really cannot be ignored. I try not to project my own situation onto others, but sometimes something resonates so strongly that I’m compelled to respond with my past in mind. I am speaking from experience. If you give up the dancing and he comes home, as you said, he will likely still have the AP on the side, and it will likely lead to a more extensive pattern of coercive control and manipulative guilt tripping that will happen in such a subtle way that you won’t even realize what’s happening at first. A man who is secure in himself and who respects and cares for you will encourage your independence and pursuit of your own passions and hobbies. A man who wants to control you, prove his “manhood” and/or feels entitled will feed you a bull$h!te line about your hobby taking away from family time in an effort to guilt you into essentially isolating and losing yourself under the guise of being a “good wife and mother.”

I wouldn’t even have any advice on how to suggest a compromise because in my experience, the man who would make this kind of demand doesn’t do compromise. I just really wanted to chime in to say that from an outside perspective, the red flag is glaringly RED and you have every right to have cause for concern. Now is the time to ask yourself what kind of man he really is, if you think that he has the potential to change, how that change might happen, and whether or not you will be able to have the safe, fulfilling life that you deserve with him in it as he is.

I’m hesitant to add, but I’m going to anyway, that the buying you flowers and planning outings is to me more manipulative than anything else. I know it’s hard when you really want to see change, but I would err on the side of caution with everything he says and does because it seems more than likely that it is to benefit himself in someway. I’m sorry to provide such a negative bent, but experience has taught me a thing or two. If nothing else else, just keep this all in the back of your mind…
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

H
  • Trial Subscriber
Oh I completely agree with you. I’ve stood up to him and told him that him asking me to give it up isn’t love and that it’s control and that I can’t and will not do it - even the compromises that I’ve put in place aren’t enough - nothing will be - when he said he doesn’t want to come home to anyone other than me - I felt suffocated straight away and I won’t ignore those feelings anymore.

Now I’m just feeling immense anger - the baby doesn’t sleep at night I’ve been awake for nearly 5 hours on and off with my toddler coming in between with a nose bleed and wet the bed. I literally am on my knees whilst he’s off living his best life with his new gf getting full nights sleep, days out when he wants. Eating his dinner warm, getting a shower. I have nowhere to get rid of it.

Everyone keeps saying to me how they will come and help but the truth is no1 does - no1 will come and help me in the night. I’m just expected to keep showing up everyday surviving on no sleep, putting on a brave face for my kids dealing with all his $h!te.

He isn’t going to change and gradually over the last few years has been controlling me anyway cutting me off slowly from the outside world and I think that’s still why he won’t have the baby as when I’m with the baby he knows I’m not gonna be doing anything else.

I mentioned that my solicitor would be contacting him about the next steps in the divorce she’s good and is starting to do things to protect me since he filed and he told me that he is doing the divorce himself and it’s got nothing to do with my solicitor! So no need for her to contact him 😂😂😂

Just wish I didn’t see the good in him still and who he was not who he is now

Poor you, you must be feel exhausted, I’m so sorry. Can’t imagine how hard it must feel right now to be one vaguely standing adult with three small humans. Any local mum’s groups where you live? They may not be able to bail you out in the middle of the night but as we know from here it can make a big difference to kvetch and roll your eyes and even chuckle with people who know what it’s like to be you  :)

And way too exhausted to deal with your h’s nonsense.  ::)

Have you heard of DARVO? Worth a Google if not. It’s what disordered folks do to try to control the narrative….essentially it’s about distraction. Bit like how a teenager asked to tidy their room throws a tantrum saying ‘you’re so unreasonable and you didn’t let me go to the party last weekend and…and…’. So you get sucked into an argument which is about anything BUT the pigsty of a room  ::)
This is your h right now imho.

Keep it simple.
It’s not about Lapland or dancing.
There is no relationship conversation to be had with you until there is no OW. Simple. Full stop. No family trips. No shared walks. No future shared plans or discussions about what he wants from you. Nada. Just a visitation schedule following your lawyers advice. No R conversations at all bc, while ow is in the mix, there is no available marital relationship with you to discuss. Simple.

And if he chooses not to retain a lawyer, well that’s his choice….whats that saying about a person acting as their own lawyer having a fool for a client? Not your circus. Inform your lawyer, give him/her his contact details and take their advice on how/if you can use that to your advantage. And perhaps reflect on the pros and cons from your pov about moving slowly legally vs moving quickly - in so far as you can control that. Recognise that few of us do our best quality thinking when we are as exhausted as you feel right now, so it’s worth giving yourself time to breathe a bit. And, if you can, get out of that cabin for 45 minutes each day for a walk or a bit of yoga or just to smell the flowers….like a virtual lunch break…even a Power Nap lol.

I don’t know if your h was always this entitled and given to avoiding accountability for his own actions and making demands. But he is now. It’s very MLCish, of course. We usually say here that if you feel confused, they are still cooking in the MLC oven so time to close the oven door and go do something else with your time. At a basic level, the underlying principle of most faith’s take on forgiveness or reconciliation tends to involve the person stops doing the bad thing they want forgiveness for as a kind of starting point before all that remorse, forgiveness and redemption stuff etc etc…. ::…..your h is not even at the starting gate, is he? He wants forgiveness and a list of demands to be met by you while he just carries on much the same based on what you say. So, no point letting any of that suck up your precious time and energy imho. If he gets to that point, you’ll know and you can decide what you feel about what he is bringing to the table then. Until then, it just sounds as if you see that it is mindf**kery and more of the same. That’s sad, as you say, but I think it’s pretty clear to you, isn’t it?

On a practical level, it sounds as if you might have two short term priorities?

Taking care of your own basic wellbeing needs…sleep, energy, good company that fills you up instead of draining you. My suggestion would be to try to do one thing every day, no matter how small, that feeds at least one of those needs a little.
Make a plan for the coming week. Ask a friend or friends to help….i have sometimes found that even a short phone call with a faraway friend can improve my day, and that people come up with some great ideas when you ask for help.

The second is to minimise your time and energy in the Mystical Land of F**kwittery. Bc it takes energy that you do not currently have spare. I’m sure you are right that he is using the baby as a gateway to you….talk to your lawyer about his/her suggestions on what you might do to minimise that. And do not take even a shred of responsibility that he has chosen to move out to a place where he cannot take care of his own children independently in his visitation time….thats not your circus either. Not your mess to tidy up for him. Let him figure it out like a real grown up while you do on,y what you are legally required to do. No more, no less.

It may be the case, at least for a little while, that the only way to avoid the Land of F**kwittery is to minimise contact with the F**kwit. To hand over the kids on the doorstep and shut the door. Or leave him with the kids and physically go out somewhere else. There are probably also some ways in which you can learn some new tips and tricks for shutting down conversations you don’t want to have or politely hmming your way past them without getting pulled in. Cool, bummer, wow responses. Pretty much the way you’d respond if you find yourself sitting next to a very boring person talking at you about stamp collecting at a swanky dinner or in a seat beside a crazy person wearing a tinfoil hat on a train.  :) Hmmm, shrug, minimise eye contact, be busy with something else, say very little. If you read about DARVO, you will also find some techniques for how to deal with it….things like grey rock. It can take a little practice but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier to do. And tbh it really helps you to climb off someone else’s emotional rollercoaster. Idk if you have an IC, a wise friend or a coach who might help you get the hang of shifting some of your own behaviour like that, but if not, it might be worth thinking about it as a short term investment in your own wellbeing….no different really from how you teach and coach dancers who can a,ready dance to a certain level but need a fresh external eye on some of their technique.

I don’t know if you are interested in standing, or open to it as an outside option, or if you think that you are just not sure. Or too tired to even think about it lol. What I can see is that you do not want this version of a husband and that you can see clearly that if you did what he wants, that’s exactly what you’d get. Removing yourself from the Land of F**kwittery gives him the opportunity - if he chooses to take it - to wrestle with his own monkeys and consequences, and decide if he wants to move out of that land too. If he does, you can look at what’s left. If he doesn’t, well you and your kids are no worse off and you can carry on enjoying a new different life you make for yourself in the Land of….what do you want to call it? Niceness? Yum? Peace? Bounce? Pick a name that works for you  :)

No kids here, just a cat diva, but I do remember days past in my own situation where I  felt so emotionally and physically exhausted that buying coffee felt like climbing Everest. So what I do know from over here in the cheap seats is that two things are true….it will not always feel how it feels right now and that small things help way more than you imagine they might bc they have a compound effect like saving a dollar in a jar every day. So, do that. Plus, from your posts so far, Hollie, and from the tyoe of dance you do, it is so obvious to me that you are a bit of a bada$$ when you need to be, that you have a bedrock of strength and that you can do big joy. These things are your superpowers and will be easier to use when you are no longer spending much time in the Land of F**kwittery  :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 12:44:49 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

K
Hollie, just quickly - if you are in the UK, check out Home-Start, they are a charity that support young families and all their services are free.

H
  • Trial Subscriber
Holiday booked to our family place with her!
#66: April 08, 2024, 11:33:49 PM
Gosh. I guess this shouldn’t affect me I feel like I’ve been doing really well with detachment since my last post and him messing me around based on all the good advice you all gave me.

He decided to take the baby to meet her last week without telling me that he was definitely taking him. So took me completely off guard - now the kids have told me that they have booked to go somewhere on holiday all together that we used to go to as a family all together - in the summer holidays - he would never let us go then as it was too expensive.. yet if he goes with her and the kids to our family place that we made the best memories in and is a family tradition of mine that we did as kids - but with her!? Like Wtaf is he trying to hurt me - he said as he thought it was the same place Center parcs but in a different destination it would be ok..?

I’m trying so hard to not be upset by it. Just so insensitive and thoughtless I want to go mental at him! But just made a comment making him aware I know - I’m so tired of remaining silent on all this stuff for the greater good etc.

:'(

R
Many have seen the MLCer go to places with OW that they went to together. That aspect is so weird to me. If a person wants this new life, then why do things the same as before?

I have wondered if it is OW wanting to make their imprint. But who knows. It's so messed up.

Not sure why so many do some version of this, but it is quite common. A lack of imagination? A lack of effort bc the LBS always did the adult planning? Treating people as replaceable objects you can swop in and out? A vague recollection of being happy when the old we did x or y, so a feeling in the back of the brain that a new we will be happy there too? A bit of OW dogs metaphorically peeing on the family gate? Idk. But it is common. And that means logically that it isn’t much about you at all even if it feels very personal.

Feel how you feel. But I’d suggest you simply don’t waste your breath on telling him how you feel or expecting him to not lie. Pearls before swine, dear girl, instead I’d focus on the positive….that your kids will get to go back to a place they liked and will hopefully have fun there despite the situation. How long will they be away for? Will the baby stay with you?
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

H
  • Trial Subscriber
He hasn’t said yet they have a week with him he asked me if he can take the baby - he will be one by then but wasn’t sure if he would settle etc - part of me doesn’t want to let him go but then at the same time I want him to experience the reality of having three kids - all the carnage that does go with it and for her to experience the life of mine that she desperately wants.

I do think she is marking her territory- but it’s wild to me with someone else husband and their kids.. playing mummy’s and daddy’s - sorry you can prob sense I’m so cross - I feel like she has just stepped into my life! Maybe as you say I should take it as a compliment that he obviously used to enjoy our times there.. and I did used to plan everything and arrange everything whilst we were there all the stuff to pack - he will have to do that as she will have no idea..

It’s all just so unfair this whole scenario. He never has to have time on his own - he has her.. I am so bloody lonely and have no one to share my time with when I don’t have my kids the hole I feel when they gone it’s horrible and not one I’m getting used to. 😓

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.