Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #3

m
Off-Topic Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #3
#20: April 23, 2020, 02:27:36 PM
Interesting info today from NYC, preliminary testing results show 20% of NYC residents may already have antibodies which means they were exposed and had covid virus. This would mean the virus was much more widespread than thought and the death rates in general population is lower than numbers show. Not that its not serious rather we hopefully won’t end up at 3-4% mortality but sub 1%. Lower is better.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/nyregion/coronavirus-antibodies-test-ny.html
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

Re: COVID-19, Coronavirus. Its real, stay safe! #3
#21: April 23, 2020, 03:29:38 PM
I'm sorry, I'm still back a few articles but I had a question about one I read concerning young people and blood clots and a second question concerning feet.

In the article it was noted that doctors were seeing blood clots form in some young people with Covid and explained that the clots were responsible for some of the deaths in the young even when it appeared that they were getting over the virus.

My question after listening to another interview with a doctor on Chicago radio say again the clots were in young people, not older 50+ aged people.  So could some of the difference be explained by lots of 50+ people with pre-existing conditions being already on blood thinners like warfarin (sp?)? 

Secondly there is a story I saw on Facebook saying some people have a symptom called Corona toes before getting sick.  Several pictures of gnarly icky red toes were included. Why would a virus turn people's toes sore and bright red or is this just another Facebook nonsense story? 

Any help is appreciated!
Lp

if people won’t listen to you, there’s no point in talking to people. If they won’t listen, you’re just banging your head against a wall.

Sadly Ive used up all the time I had allotted to spend banging my head on the wall

#22: April 23, 2020, 04:33:47 PM
I'm sorry, I'm still back a few articles but I had a question about one I read concerning young people and blood clots and a second question concerning feet.

In the article it was noted that doctors were seeing blood clots form in some young people with Covid and explained that the clots were responsible for some of the deaths in the young even when it appeared that they were getting over the virus.

My question after listening to another interview with a doctor on Chicago radio say again the clots were in young people, not older 50+ aged people.  So could some of the difference be explained by lots of 50+ people with pre-existing conditions being already on blood thinners like warfarin (sp?)? 

Secondly there is a story I saw on Facebook saying some people have a symptom called Corona toes before getting sick.  Several pictures of gnarly icky red toes were included. Why would a virus turn people's toes sore and bright red or is this just another Facebook nonsense story? 

Any help is appreciated!
Lp

A friend of mine's granddaughter had the "corona toes" - it's a real thing, but she didn't realize it was related to the very serious flu-like symptoms she had taken her to the ER for until stories like this started running on news and online: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/21/coronavirus-covid-toes-may-symptom-covid-19-young-people/2994930001/ She'd tested negative for influenza, but this was just before the stay at home orders and all we've come to know about the virus came to light. She'd quarantined her at home, like you would any other flu, and the rest of the family had only had (so far) minor symptoms. Scary!

#23: April 24, 2020, 01:33:56 AM
An interesting interview with a virus expert, Ian Lipkin, who has personal as well as professional experience of Covid-19 https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-special-lipkin/. He was the expert advisor on the Soderbergh Film, Contagion, which tbh is a bit spooky to watch again in these times. Including some of the different ways that societies and individuals react. His take is a pretty blunt one tbh....that the coronavirus is here to stay for a while yet, that we are still learning about it and that we will all need to learn to live with it until there is either a proven vaccine or a robust set of treatment options that reduces its effect.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

m
#24: April 24, 2020, 02:54:14 AM
On the blood clots: first these seem to be in a small subset of cases, they are NOT a primary and common symptom. I only point this out to make sure there is no panic. It is being looked at for the cases where the deaths are not from the pneumonia/lung issues. As for Covid toes in infants it is mainly seen in asymptomatic cases. Kids under 14 really are not in the risk group. You may see reports of some exceptions but main advice is keep these reports in perspective. They make headlines, but risk is always measured in numbers. There is a risk in crossing the street and its real, but we do not hesitate to cross streets. Without a context these reports become much scarier than they should be.

As for the clotting, it is too early to tell. If it is a side effect of an overreaction by immune system then ironically people with weaker immune systems (including the elderly and the immune suppressed) may suffer much less from the complications of an overactive immune system than healthy young people whose immune system is too active.

There are multiple axis of events here, I think its easier if they are kept separate in our minds. And again for context even now from the numbers of asymptomatic cases the risk degree is still very low for healthy, young part of the population, so panic is not needed. Caution, listening to experts, shielding the vulnerable and making sure we don’t overload our health care is still the main challenge here.
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

#25: April 24, 2020, 04:21:25 AM
Thank you all for your explanations! 

As always, the more I learn, the more I must accept how much I don't know.

By the way, I'm not a foot person so those pictures were creepy icky!

To the economic side:  Illinois's governor extend the stay at home order until the end of May, but increased the number of businesses that could be open like greenhouses.  He also made masks mandatory.  Sadly on his list of essential businesses he failed to include beauty salons. For some this may not be a big deal but a couple days ago I spent 30 minutes getting my cell phone untangled from my hair.  (I'm a curly)  J suggested I get a poodle shave from the dog groomer now that she is open again.  My mother suggested a good dose of Aqua Net but then noted I'd need to avoid all birds and insects.  On the positive side, I am now 4" taller including hair so I look thinner!

Have a good day you all!
Lp
if people won’t listen to you, there’s no point in talking to people. If they won’t listen, you’re just banging your head against a wall.

Sadly Ive used up all the time I had allotted to spend banging my head on the wall

m
#26: April 24, 2020, 04:27:02 AM
LP: The whole hair situation is becoming critical for a lot of people who simply don't shave their head. But obviously there has been a solution for a long time (since the early 80's I think) and this companies stock must be going through the roof. Here it is, the FlowBee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK7_VSpTyVY
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:39:43 AM by marvin4242 »

#27: April 24, 2020, 04:38:13 AM
Oh my!  How did I miss that??!

I think I'd need some arm extensions though as my hair is now past the middle of my back.  I look like a refugee from the hair bands of the 1980's.  Perhaps some of you are too young to remember those?  On the positive note, someone told me I'm retro...I'm going to assume that is a good thing.

Lp

• Mentor
#28: April 24, 2020, 05:39:36 AM
Colorado is one of the states that is allowing hair salons, tattoo parlors and nail salons to open as of May 1. I did have an apt booked for May 8 but the more I thought about it, regardless of what some lifting of restrictions are, it just doesn't seem safe. My concern is for these individuals who are very much impacted economically but I can live with grey roots for a while. The numbers of cases continue to be high here although there has been a flattening.

I laughed when I watched the FlowBee clip.....thanks Marvin.

I find that these new symptoms that are being reported on, make me aware that this is a new virus and we do not know all about it's character. There is much to learn. The assumption is that once you get COVID, you are immune to getting it again or passing it on to others but although that is quite common for many viruses, the scientists are not able to say for sure that this is true for COVID.

More reasons to continue to stay home.

The loosening of restrictions and the length of time that this has been impacting us makes it hard for people to continue to remain isolated. Numbers that suggest a lower mortality (which would be awesome) or that the virus has been circulating longer than we thought or that a percentage of the population have antibodies even though they may not have been aware of having been sick might give us a sense that this virus is not a big deal.

So all the "bits" of information that are being generated need to be considered in a way as several "theories". With time (we all understand that word) more will be understood and we may be able to find other ways to deal with it until a vaccine is available.

I do think I'll skip the injecting of disinfectants to kill off the virus in the body though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 05:41:22 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
#29: April 24, 2020, 06:22:06 AM
Hello,

Hope all is well with everyone.

I look like a refugee from the hair bands

Nothing wrong with that. Great bands and great music!

The whole hair situation is becoming critical for a lot of people who simply don't shave their head.

I've been shaving my head clean for a decade now so that's not an issue for me. No discussion about my back!

But the most alarming post is from XYZCF,

Colorado is one of the states that is allowing hair salons, tattoo parlors and nail salons to open as of May 1. I did have an apt booked for May 8 but the more I thought about it, regardless of what some lifting of restrictions are, it just doesn't seem safe.

You were the last person on this site that I thought would make an appointment to get a tattoo.

The world is definitely changing!

((((Ready))))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.