Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story My third thread: Still living in interesting times

J
My Story My third thread: Still living in interesting times
#90: June 20, 2022, 02:33:00 PM
Sorry to hear that, Moon, but the certainty does seem to help. Hopefully it will be "good" (as good as a divorce can be, anyway), and of course, we're all here for you.
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of stops and starts. They're ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable and we have to face them. That's what being human is all about.  -Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

• Mentor
My third thread: Still living in interesting times
#91: June 20, 2022, 03:31:53 PM
I am sorry Moon, and yes, now you do not need to think about this possibility anymore.

Of course she would not consider D11's retreat to have anything to do with her parents divorcing. They just do not consider it to be something that kids will have an issue with. I am glad that you are aware and concerned about your D11 and watch carefully.

Nothing really changed post divorce regarding the type of contact we have..he's still in pretty regular contact with me. "it" has never been talked about, never been mentioned...he sent me a text message informing me that he had filed for a divorce 9 years after BD...I have no clue why he felt the need to do that ..and that was almost 4 years ago and there isn't any sign of a significant other so it makes no sense...but as you know, much of what they do doesn't make sense.

Still Moon, there is also great sadness, especially since this is not what we choose. It takes some time to adjust to.

(((HUGS)))))
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

H
#92: June 20, 2022, 08:22:58 PM
Hi Moon,

I am sorry to hear the news about the D.  I thought it would change things for me as my D to my XW was finalized early this year.  The funny thing is it really hasn’t changed things much yet except maybe relieving some guilt that she has. 

Hang in there and I know you will be there for your D11.  The impact on the kids is still what bothers me most today.

HF
W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Left Home - January 2021
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#93: June 21, 2022, 02:12:32 AM
Hi Moon,

As you noted, it is sad and a relief at the same time... Sort of one of those "what is the worst that can happen? She divorces me? Oh! Too late!" things.

What I expect is that your STBXW will find, like most, if not all Mid-Lifers, is that, well, nothing will have changed for her. The issues that she had will still be there with her and there won't be "wonderful new life"  that she expects.  That is hers to deal with.

All you can do is to continue to be the stable parent for your kids and to be there for them.

For what it's worth, divorce doesn't necessarily mean the " end."  Many MLC' ers seem to have the idea that they can just go running off for a while, do whatever they want, and then return later. My xW said as much "Maybe then in 7 years or so, we will get back together and ....." That is a bridge to cross when the Mid-Lifer gets their head out of their ..... fog.... if they ever do. It also depends on you. You get to make a choice in this as well...

Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

T
#94: June 22, 2022, 02:10:40 PM
Many thanks JohnnyB, xyzcf, HF and UM.   Your kind words and thoughts are a real help. 

I agree xyzcf,  there appears to be no reason why now.  She isn’t seeing anyone seriously as far as I know.  Dating certainly but no one serious.  As you say UM, perhaps she thinks this will bring her the happiness she’s looking for.  The string of dates apparently hasn’t.  Let’s see how quickly she moves thing along though. 

Just as an aside, she asks me late last night if I can do the school runs today.  No problem, of course.  She then asks if I can drop the girls back just before 6pm but also if I can stay around for a little bit as she’s selling some furniture online (a chair from our bedroom funnily enough, that’s been in D11’s room for a while).  She’s worried that the person picking up sounds a bit strange.  Anyway I hang around and everything’s fine.  Just so odd, she still calls on my like that, to sell off a bit of our past (albeit very minor), days after asking for a divorce.    It’s like a divorce through the looking glass.   
Me:47, W: 44
Married: 2007
D12 and D9
BD 1: Jan 2018 ILYBINILWY
BD2: Feb 2018 EA discovered
August 2018, I move to own place.  June 2022, asks for divorce

M
#95: June 22, 2022, 05:29:00 PM
I’m so sorry for the divorce news, but whether you move on or still stand divorce does not have to be the end. Sometimes all has to end to begin a new . So, you will move forward and life will hopefully unfold as intended.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
#96: June 27, 2022, 08:11:45 PM
Sending you some positive thoughts Moon.  I hope that her divorce will be gentle.  Divorce is hard enough without the added trauma of a difficult one.

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

T
#97: June 29, 2022, 02:23:17 PM
Thank you for your kind thoughts Faithwalker and MadLuv

Just to emphasise the craziness of all this, W takes the girls away for a short holiday (she mentioned it a while back and I had agreed).  So she goes to the very hotel where we went away - just her and me - to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary.  Where everything seemed rosy but yet less than 4 months later she was going into full on MLC mode.  And while she’s away she’s sending me pictures of the girls, discussing how beautiful and grown up they are now.  Like everything is completely normal - and she’s not just asked for a divorce.   Just more MLC madness I guess.
Moon
D12 and D9

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#98: June 30, 2022, 02:44:13 AM
Like everything is completely normal - and she’s not just asked for a divorce.   Just more MLC madness I guess.

Yep - exactly..... "Normal" is quite relative... and at that moment, it may have been as close to normal as she gets.
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

T
#99: August 23, 2022, 03:19:37 PM
Just a quick update, mainly to note it was the fourth anniversary this week of me moving out of the family home.  D8 would have been 4 and D11 would have been 7, so younger than D8 is now.  I found a pic D8 keeps of me and W, taken before either of the girls were born.  W used to keep it in a frame but now D8 just has it lying around.  I noticed on the back she had scribbled all our names followed by ‘family’.  Nearly bought me to tears. 

Anyway, the girls and I finally went on the holiday that caused so much trouble.  We had a really good time, although W still managed to upset me - by moaning about the girls sleeping arrangements (after I agreed that she could speak to the girls).  I gave her a polite blast back and she quickly backed down - but it still upset me.  Even after all this time, she thinks she can control me and how I choose to bring up my daughters.  Cakeism I’m guessing.   And no sign yet of anything further happening with the divorce she’s asked for.  I’m leaving that in her court, but I can’t say I’m surprised it’s been over 2 months now without anything happening.  Standard MLCer behaviour I believe.
Moon
D12 and D9

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.