Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
My Story Re: Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#20: December 02, 2021, 01:00:17 AM
I find myself wondering if I want H back and if so, can I live a life with him knowing what he has said and done during his mlc.  Will I really be able to put the past behind us?  Will I be able to truly forgive?  Right now I am not so sure.

First and foremost the person formerly known as "H" has left the building.... long ago.... Any future R will be with a different person who just happens to look like the person formerly known as "Spouse."

The real question is "In his current state, would you want him?" The answer is very likely

If and when he pulls hid head out of his ... fog... and does the work he needs to do, that answer might change, IF 1) you have not moved on, 2) you are STILL interested in him(#'s 1 & 2 are not necessarily linked), 3) HE is still interested in you, 4) you BOTH wish to pursue an R... There are a lot of "if's" here....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

S
Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#21: December 17, 2021, 11:36:34 AM
Sam, attaching to your new thread and still following you along. You have always been in such great spirits about everything and I always admired that and still do. Our time lines were pretty close and I cannot believe both if us are still here and are so much better than we were and I could not have gotten there without this forum and all the wonderful people.

Keep posting and I will keep hanging with you
Me 53
H 51
AD 22 from previous R
Known H since 1993
Together since 2000
BD 06/21/2017
OW High School Sweetheart lives 4 hrs away

• https://affaircare.com/the-180
Re: Onward and Upward is better than Rinse and Repeat!
#22: December 21, 2021, 12:08:43 PM
Hi UM....

Yes.....In addition to all of that.....I often wonder how I would feel.....IF.   And that is a big IF.

If he wants to start over....then will I be able.....

I wonder many things but this has been a big one for me lately.  Can I really put things behind me in the future and let it all go....IF!

10.29.17 BD-Moved out to OW/A began in  6.17
3.5.18 OW moved away/H moved in with F
3.19.18  H moved home
7.14.18  Moved to be with OW
9.4.18  Moved back-At Parents 
11.1.18  OW back.  H living w/her in D's basement 
11.18 - H started visiting on holidays
11.26.18 Call from H.  BIL died suddenly.
1.19 - H announced  that he moved to sisters
2.19  H volunteers to house and dog sit whenever.
Spring 19  H visiting house and doing chores on a regular basis
7.20 OW2 Confirmed  5 hrs away 
Summer of 2020 Less help with chores
Early Spring 2021 - helping with chores again then stopped and is getting more distant gradually
9/21 distancing growing worse...hardly see or hear from H
4/22 getting in touch more but sporadically

#23: December 21, 2021, 12:19:41 PM
66 -  Hey Lady!  Always good to hear from you!   Hope you are well!

Yes still hanging in there.  For now.

Not doing it for him.  Doing it for me because I don't want another relationship at this time.  Part of me still loves him.  Part of me wonders why.  HaHa.

No matter.   I am doing what makes me happy and moving further and further from him.  Sadly I don't think he realizes it most of the time.

Stay in touch!   Always here for you!   Merry Christmas!
3.19.18  H moved home
Early Spring 2021 - helping with chores again then stopped and is getting more distant gradually

#24: December 26, 2021, 12:49:55 PM
Hi all!  For those that celebrate Christmas!  I hope and pray you made it a great one!  Only comes around once a year!

Christmas History with MLCer:

2017:  MIA  Came around for leftovers afterward.  He was late to his family gathering by about an hour.  They waited for him.  This was reported to me by D.

2018:  He came by.  Didn't stay long.  Places to go...people to see!  HaHa  He did get me a gift.  A portable jump box. 

2019:  Ditto 2018.  I think I got socks for Christmas that year.

2020:  Longer visit.  I got earrings and a membership to a PB organization.

2021:  He came and went to Christmas eve services with me and the family.  During the service, the GD got bored.  Gave her my phone to play on.  He started to pick on her.  I felt like I had to babysit both of them.   I didn't say a word but I saw child-like actions and responses from him.  He also got into a pissing contest with 5 yo GS.  They were both puffing their chests and vying for my attention.  H resorted to bully-like statements and I changed the subject vs playing "MOTHER" to him.  He should know better! 

On Christmas day, he came over early to help prep the turkey.  He accidentally broke my baking bag.  We fixed but he just wouldn't stop the I ruined it...I broke it...I didn't know any better.  Not problem-solving....it was all self admonishment by him.  It took a few moments pondering but we came up with a fix and the turkey baked just fine and dandy.

After visiting D and her family, he usually leaves.  This year, he stayed.  Mostly he sat in the recliner and played on his phone.  When he would get up, he would volunteer to help.

About an hour before people got there, he decided he didn't like the look of some peeling paint on the ceiling.  (We didn't realize we painted water-based paint over oil-based paint...result...the paint occasionally peels loose.)  Anyhow, he went and got a scraper and started to scrape the hall ceiling.  He cleaned up and put everything away and then said....he wanted to do it in the dining room too.  I looked at him and kindly asked him to not do it today.  Not when I am already set up for a meal.   He complied.

When people started coming and things got more rambunctious, I noticed he was more and more on his phone.  All games.  He didn't hide his phone when anyone walked by.  When it was time to eat...he was front and center to help get the bird out and carved.  I let him just take charge.  I appreciated the help!  We all sat at the table, but he went to the living room and ate.  He was visually in line with us, but he sat alone in another room to eat.  So odd...but hey....it is his MLC.

He stayed around for a few more hours and then said he had to go.  When he left....SIL asked him where he was going.  He hesitated but said he was going HOME (his sister's dining room).  Sister is making a meal for the 3 siblings and their parents.  Something she has not done since 2017.    Part of me wants to believe it and part of me thinks he was hunkered down with the OW.

Upon leaving, he gave me a hug.  I have not had a hug since early 2019.  I think Mother's day was the last and at that time it reminded me of 2 kids that were forced to hug.  It was cold and stiff.  This hug he initiated.  Wasn't long or special but wasn't cold and stiff either.  Friendly but yet I don't consider us friends.

Now I expect a huge quiet pull away from him.  This is his new norm.  Come around...then pulls away and is quiet with no contact for a time.   I just let him at it. 

3.19.18  H moved home

K
#25: December 26, 2021, 01:22:50 PM
I like how you document all this, but don’t try too much to interpret or understand it.

Nothing will drive you madder than trying to interpret or understand how an MLC acts.

Better off just looking the other way  ;D

#26: December 27, 2021, 03:05:20 PM
Great update Sam. It’s good to see the comparisons.

I wouldn’t worry about Sam, Kind. She has been at this a long time and knows what she’s doing. The journaling is who she is and she’s doing amazingly. Well - we all are actually aren’t we!

Glad you had a good time Sam, and wow a hug! Interesting to note!

Rose 🌹
Married 15+ years with 2 children
BD1 - 2016
BD2 - 2017
BD3 - Sept 2019
MOW Mar 2016-Jan 2018
OW2 - Feb 2019, age 30
H left home Oct 2017 to stay with his parents
Bought a family Puppy mid 2018 - referred to as ‘P’

Link to advice by my mentor, Phoenix, on what to tell the children about H leaving - reply #33 (it had a glitch)
https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=9313.30

M
#27: December 28, 2021, 12:56:19 PM
Gosh Sam, your H and mine are so similar.

Both come nearer then push off again. Last Christmastime my H was round a lot and had Christmas dinner with us etc. Then he started going off again slowly until, by the end of July, I called him out on it and he's been distant ever since. No idea why. Nothing to do with anything I said or did differently.
Just like (I think it was you who said it) watching a science experiment...

You sound good. Keep smiling
Adult S & D
BD: April 2016
Many false returns.
Effectively moved out Nov 2017 [worked away from home. Home occasional weekends]
Moved out full time: July 2018 after he renewed contact with OW.
OW: old school friend lives 200+ miles away.

#28: December 30, 2021, 12:22:58 PM
Kind.....

I like how you document all this, but don’t try too much to interpret or understand it.

Nothing will drive you madder than trying to interpret or understand how an MLC acts.

Better off just looking the other way  ;D

Thank you for your insight.   I agree with you. 

Hence why I observe and see but i know all of it means NOTHING! 

It is nice though to look back and see not only that he is S L O W L Y progressing somehow but more importantly to see how I am progressing.

I no longer hang onto every word or contact.  I do a lot of head shaking and eye rolling.  I see see through his crap so with so much more clarity.

I likened it before to a snow globe.  Shake things up and he gets clear and fuzzy.  Not me!  I can see clearly now.....

Hope you are well!  Have a Happy New Year! 

3.19.18  H moved home

#29: December 30, 2021, 12:27:29 PM
Hi Rose!  So nice to hear from you!

Thank you so much for your encouragement and kind words! 

How is everything in your world?  Kids doing well?   I'll jump over to your post soon and catch up!

Yes we are doing well!

I will be forever grateful for MLC in a way.   I appreciate the strength that I gained from this.  I would have preferred it another way....but I accept it and I am making the best for me now.  I can honestly say I am happy with the person I have become and I work to improve on me forever and a day!   

I never want to go back to who and what I was before!

Keep taking care of yourself Rose!  Happy New Year!
3.19.18  H moved home

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.