Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Fettling

M
My Story Fettling
#50: April 06, 2022, 03:54:04 AM
All in all sounds like a pretty good move. When you write about your new place and for that matter the old, both sound so quaint. Maybe you just have a good picker for homes. Enjoy your new garden after you dig through those boxes. Lots to look forward to. Specially welcoming neighbors. That in itself makes it a good start.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
Fettling
#51: April 06, 2022, 08:40:51 PM
I'm glad the new place feels right.  My kitty loves boxes too.
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

C
Fettling
#52: April 06, 2022, 08:42:55 PM
Congratulations, Treasur, on finding your home for this next chapter. I am glad to hear you and Gracie are settling in.

M
Fettling
#53: April 06, 2022, 08:45:16 PM
Congrats on the new space.  Hopefully a change of location is therapeutic. Despite how much moving stinks, there really is something about a fresh start. 

Fettling
#54: April 12, 2022, 07:07:01 PM
So glad you are home.  I spent the last 3 days moving all of H's paintings and supplies into storage.  I have not touched the room since he physically checked out 12/19.  It was his room with 40 years of paintings, easels, painting supplies, books etc.  My 4 year old granddaughter and 2 year old grandson are coming for Easter.  I made the decision to empty the room and not worry about them getting into stuff.  I will say it was an emotional challenge but i now have a very clean sitting room.

Enjoy the creation of your new home.
5hil

Fettling
#55: April 30, 2022, 12:14:15 AM
It has been a couple of days of a surprising kind of fettling, the kind you do without quite realising you were. Inside fettling perhaps  :) Sharing in case anyone else here experiences something similar years on in their own recovery and wonders if they are normal  :)

Had an eye test with an optician, first one in years and years bc well BD, PTSD and pandemic. They recommended varifocals. Which was going to be staggeringly expensive. And I felt that I could not make a decision to save my life. It was a triggering feeling, not even sure why tbh. So, as we do with those transferable skills from our trip through Hell, I used the rule of 3. Told them I needed time to think and would come back the next day. Slept on it.....and decided then that my current life didn’t need varifocals as I was quite content to use two different glasses for different tasks....and that spending £600 on a solution I didn’t feel committed to didn’t work for me either. So I got there.....ended up with a £100 set of new reading glasses instead...but it was odd to see how I can still freeze in indecision over such a simple thing and to hear that snarky critical inner voice (you all know the one lol) wake up and start shouting at me.

Little car was ready to pick up on Thursday. I knew I felt uneasy; I could feel it physically but again wasn’t sure why. I needed to get a train for a 50 minute journey to where little car was, a local town I/we used to spend time in. All went well....lovely men came to preen their mechanics feathers as they showed me their work...one did the welding, another whispered to the electrics, another had sorted out the immobiliser....it was a den of classic car geeks and they stood together waving me off as I drove away  :) But, belatedly en route, I realised why I felt uneasy....it was my first time on a train since I threw up on my shoes unable to board one in idk 2019?...a train that took me right through the countryside stations where we used to live....to a town where I used to pick up my h from his office and go via when I was working in London. It was like a memory trip  ::) But you know what? I did it and it didn’t hurt. Felt slightly spacy, as if that old life was far away and a different person, but it didn’t hurt. Or make me throw up on my shoes which was good bc I was wearing some particularly snazzy ones  :)

And then Friday was my mother’s 80th birthday so I drove up to see her in the place where my old life blew up, just over an hour away from my new home, having not driven at all for months by this point. Those of you with experience of loved ones with dementia will, I suspect, know that it always hurts to see them regardless of how any visit goes. It is never ‘nice’ or ‘normal’ imho, just somewhere on a sliding scale of ok vs not ok. And I could not help but think of how I wished her birthday were being celebrated as it would have been before her life and mine imploded, how much I yearned to be able to be the daughter I was with the mother I had. And on the drive I noticed that, although I am no longer in the grip of PTSD, that residue of anxiety does not take much to prod awake. Had I remembered a cake knife? Should I wear a mask? Would she recognise me? Was all this birthday stuff just nonsensical folderol when someone’s dementia is so advanced? Would the car be ok? And what if it broke down again? Endless anxiety blips popping up having to be swatted down......its exhausting to live with such a noisy uncertain head isn’t it? But again, I did it. And again the kindness of others helped. My uncle came although he hates seeing her like this. The staff who know her well now and see her as a person still. That little glimmer when we locked eyes and her eyes smiled and I knew she knew who I was, just for a moment. A moment when she looked at my masked uncle, who sounds so much like a louder version of my dad and has his eyes, tilted her head like an inquisitive bird and then giggled at him. And my own ability to be calmly cheerful when she started throwing things like an exasperated toddler and make jokes about being able to save the cake from sailing across the room. (For a frail creature, my mum has a surprisingly good throwing arm....all those muscles honed from years of nursing I suspect  :) )

So, today, I feel rather proud of myself. Much left still to fettle but I did good these last few days. And it is rather nice to feel proud of myself again  :) How comforting it is to me now to know that I tried my best even when it wasn’t very good, that I kept going, that I did everything in my power to honour and respect my loved ones even when it was hard, that I have allowed other good folks to show up in my life, that I have accepted help when I needed it, that my own dark places did not eat me entirely. I feel like a little tiny hero in my own life tbh....and I have not felt like that before. That is not nothing in the course of a life. Oh, and that snazzy shoes matter again  :)

Off to a local charity plant sale shortly, set up in a small arboretum a couple of minutes from my new home. A couple coming to pick up a big filing cabinet I no longer need. Uncle coming for brunch on Monday. Another chum coming to visit next week. Work and to do stuff and plans and schemes and company.....I actually have a working diary again with stuff in it, remarkable.....and Gracie is bombing around the house like Usain Bolt to remind me that I have been awol for the last couple of days so she needs cat ‘Me’ time today when I will do weeding and she will do pouncing on invisible things with a chirruping commentary until we are both exhausted and curl up for the evening with a good book and a glass of wine!

Life is nothing like it was tbh, but it’s good enough, more than good enough in many ways
It gets better, my friends, it really does get better......
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 12:33:24 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

C
Fettling
#56: April 30, 2022, 08:05:04 AM
Treasur, I’m continually awed by your strength and grace and insight, and it’s precisely because of experiences like these (and the way you reflect on them). None of this journey is easy, and getting through it to heal and grow in your new life is admirable, no matter what that new life looks like. If you had chosen to start over in a place where you would never have a single experience that triggered memories of your past trauma, that would still be completely admirable. And if it had happened that you were able to live those experiences without being affected by your prior trauma, it would still be completely admirable that you were able to live the life you chose, on your terms. But to face those triggers, to push through them and to make your way in the world despite them - well, I’m glad that you are proud of yourself because the gentle strength it takes to do that, that is an accomplishment that merits some pride.

M
Fettling
#57: May 01, 2022, 10:57:26 AM
What a great update Treasur….as always actually
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

Fettling
#58: May 10, 2022, 09:27:41 AM
I was rather brave today bc I really did not want to do what needed to be done.
At the weekend, Gracie showed signs of having seizures. I don’t know why yet and I truly wanted to believe that it wasn’t what I thought it was. This morning I knew we had to go to the vet but oh, my soul just does not want more bad things to tackle....but i’m her human and it goes with the job.
The blood tests came back clear so that rules out toxins or side-effects of other illnesses. So it is either epilepsy, a stroke or a brain tumour. Waiting for further results but it might be that the cause is impossible to pin down. And choices will need to be made without 100% certainty.
She is 3. And it breaks my heart to see my proud elegant little Grace have a spasm and fall off a chair, to not be able to let her out to play in the garden with me bc climbing tall fences as she will is no longer safe.
She does not seem to be in pain or distress, but life just changed again and I don’t know what the best course of action will be tbh.
I’m tired of loss and fettling new problems. I’ll be better tomorrow but today I am just sad and frustrated and unsure what will be the right path for her and me. And it seems so unfair to my gorgeous young Grace.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

T
Fettling
#59: May 10, 2022, 10:38:25 AM
Oh, treasur, I am so sorry.  More losses and hard things to deal with.  And I so know how you feel, on all fronts.  On top of all our family mess my cat as well has had a horrible diagnoses and I've had to make all sorts of choices I just wish I didn't have to deal with at all.  For the record the cat is still with us several years later (longer than expected), but there is much uncertainty. 

And it's not at all fair to Grace, nor to you. 

My heart goes out to you.

x

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.