Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Fettling

M
My Story Fettling
#90: August 28, 2022, 06:28:57 AM
Treasur- I read your words and they could have been mine ( if I could write and insightfully and eloquently) I see my story past and future playing out so similarly.  Sometimes ( for me atleast) the hardest part to healing was accepting that I fought the hard battle with no actual weapon, but still proud now looking back that I also gave it my all. Thank you again for sharing
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• Mentor
Fettling
#91: August 28, 2022, 06:52:26 AM
As I sit here drinking my morning coffee I appreciate how well you put into words what so many of us felt or are feeling. And that is strangely reassuring.

What I felt looking at that little bridge was a huge swell of compassion for that old me. I truly had no idea what was going on and I was trying so hard to do my best to support the person I loved. ....... I wasn’t sleeping or eating, and I just had no idea what was going on. ......And of course I had no idea of how things would evolve, how much worse it would get, how much my life was going to unravel, that we would get divorced....... that I would never see or speak to him again. I simply had no clue. These were unimaginable things to me. Until they weren’t  :)

I really miss the old me.

I have a great deal of anxiety about things...maybe I would have had anyway and I guess I control it as best as I can...therapy, exercise, yoga, gardening, socializing with others, medication when I have to. I know when I enter into one of these "anxiety states" that I am being ridiculous...in an episode this week (all because I have an infected finger that didn't respond to the first antibiotic) I did realize that at the bottom of these times is fear.....I think that something triggers me and then initiates my reptilian brain and viola....fear. (actually I just looked that up on the internet and it validates that this is so).

This is a snippet of what I was reading:

The amygdala is the emotional center of the brain so it’s where you get feelings like pleasure, fear, anxiety and anger. The amygdala also attaches emotion to your memories, so it’s got an important role in determining how strongly those memories are stored. Memories that have some robust emotional meaning tend to be the ones that stick. It plays a key role in forming new memories specifically related to fear. Fearful memories are able to be formed after only a few repetitions.

In fact, your amygdala is always on point scanning for any threats in your environment. This can be anything from a tiger about to eat you to your partner keeping their mouth open when they’re eating. The problem is that your amygdala is a diva and overreacts to everything so treats these “threats” the same!

I just remembered a little phrase Mr. xyzcf used to say when watching our cat intensely gaze at something :
"Is it a moth or an axe murderer?" (all those memories stored in our brains).

So it doesn't matter how real the danger is, our body's response is the same.

Then I watch the news and see so many many people around the world suffering and there is such a disconnect because I have been given so much...and if I cannot find "her", the woman I once was, that's on me...she is in there somewhere waiting to be set free.

I am a firm believer in many of the things you listed. I started golfing after BD, I golf twice a week and I find it very therapeutic. When I am ready to hit the ball, there is this moment when all the monkey braining stops and the focus is only on that little ball and how far it will fly (or not). Yoga has the same effect....quieting my nervous system, making room in my chest to breath.

I am glad to hear that Gracie is better! I have not had a dog  for 17 months, and I think a dog would be good for me (I had three dogs over a period of 37 years) but something holds me back from getting another one...I can come up with a whole list of reasons why I shouldn't...and therein lies a problem for me..."fear" gets in the way of my fully living. So I guess that is the next thing to work on.

Sorry to ramble on, your writing this morning just had me thinking.

I just felt compassion for how normal my responses were in such an abnormal situation and a kind of respect for how very hard I tried to understand and support something/someone incomprehensible and unsupportable. I could see the love in that rather than seeing the foolishness of it.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

Fettling
#92: August 28, 2022, 02:00:46 PM
I miss the old me too, xyzcf.
And recognise that feeling of learning to live with an amygdala that just seems to be set at a higher baseline than it used to be.

I think, perhaps, that I am just learning that there may be a difference between reducing the effect of Fear (and for me this kind of Fear, the one that spirals, always comes with a big F and feels quite different from normal fear( and learning to get a life on the other side of it. The first used many of the things you describe when the goal was to turn down the volume on my nervous system. The second, and I think this is what I am trying to learn to do now but it’s early days, is to see if I can return to a life without the Fear. The first feels like surviving, the latter like trying to live a life that feels more normal again. Hard to put into words but they feel different to me.

So, get a dog, xyzcf, just like I got Gracie.....it’s a choice to reclaim some part of your own version of normal imho. And Fear tells more lies than even an MLCer  :)
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

Fettling
#93: October 26, 2022, 03:16:51 AM
I post on other people’s threads still, but I find I no longer have so much to say on mine. However, I also know that we all welcome the odd update from those who we have supported or been supported by, from people we feel we know a little and care about.

I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. Well, it turned into a kind of birthday week and a half lol. Being honest with myself, my birthdays now come with a small undertow of sadness that my family are no longer around to say happy birthday. Particularly that my mother doesn’t know it’s my birthday. I wish that little undertow of sadness were not there on special days or events, but I find it easier to just accept that it is how it is. But oh my word, lots of other folks went out of their way to send me love or show their pleasure that I am on the planet still. So I had a lovely birthday with just the right amount of folderol.  :)

I have been working with my own coach for a couple of months now. I have found it surprisingly difficult at times as well as even more helpful than I thought it would be. Quite gritty at times actually. Which is funny as it’s my trade too, isn’t it?  :) My biggest win I think is that, finally, I have a sense of personal momentum. It feels as if I am really building something as opposed to a kind of surviving with go faster stripes. But it’s true to say too that the feeling of momentum is sometimes earned through some scary sludge moments. So, I press on.....

I do find myself resenting the fear feelings and triggers, the PTSD and life residue, every time it pops up. It seems terribly unfair somehow that I still have it on my radar screen even if it is so much less than before. Even though I have worked so hard to find ways to temper it that work. I hate that punched in the gut feeling, really I hate it. I resent the need to wrestle with my own amygdala at times or how a relatively small cluster of life stuff can wake it up, even though at the same time I am grateful for now understanding enough to know that my amygdala is not me. And it’s useful as a coach....in fact I had a conversation only recently with someone unpicking the difference when you are having a problem solving conversation with your amygdala vs one with your frontal cortex.

I suppose it still feels as if my nervous system’s baseline is set higher than it was for the first fifty or so years of my life.....not as high as it was, true enough, but still higher than feels normal or natural for me. And I resent the energy that wrestling it into place sometimes takes. The sort of intentionality and effort that it requires sometimes. Will it always be set higher than I might wish? Idk. Maybe. Maybe not given that it is not as high as it was when I couldn’t imagine a time when I would live without a constant sense of an alarm going ‘Parp, parp’. But it feels unfair somehow and my mental five year old stamps her foot about it.....

Gracie is doing very well indeed. Last seizure was 16th August. She is due an MOT check up next week but so far so good. And she has definitely returned to her baseline of chatty feline assertiveness which is lovely. Although it wasn’t so lovely when I found her face-planted in my buttered toast last week and refusing to even move when I shouted at her ; just a side look to say ‘finders keepers’ while she kept slurping!

My mum is much the same, perhaps slightly worse. She has had a few falls in the last few months and recently broker her arm again. Really tbh there is no one observably home when I see her. That always hurts to see but I count my blessings that she is not distressed, just elsewhere.

Bar my occasional amygdala parps, and the odd unwanted life consequences of what happened, I am not unhappy. I am often relatively content and at peace. I am ok. And, if my future POV follows the path of my past POV as seems possible, I am heading in the direction of better than ok bit by bit. But gosh, the scale of the damage that was created seems rather disproportionate to any of my mistakes or failings as a person or spouse, so I allow myself those foot stamping small tantrum moments when they pop up. They never last that long  :)

So I send all of you a hello nod, an encouraging hug and a little bit of autumn sunshine from my garden. Am off to pull weeds and cut back shrubbery now  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 03:19:31 AM by Treasur »
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

B
Fettling
#94: October 26, 2022, 05:03:40 AM
Happy belated Birthday Treasur.

I'm so glad Gracie is doing well, it's horrible when our pets are unwell, so it's great she's on the mend.

I always say it but your posts are so wonderfully written. I imagine you have several books in you!

• Mentor
Fettling
#95: October 26, 2022, 07:26:54 AM
Happy birthday!

My mom had Alzheimer's. It was hard to see her physically look like my mom but her eyes were vacant. I only hope that she was ok inside...sometimes she seemed "scared". I guess not knowing what was going on.

Gracie sounds mischievous and fun. Great companionship.

But gosh, the scale of the damage that was created seems rather disproportionate to any of my mistakes or failings as a person or spouse,

The scale of the damage is far beyond anything I would have expected and it continues to linger even though I wish it would not. I think that is true for many of us, although some seem to resolve it somehow.

However, and I know you know this, any mistakes or failures we might have had did not cause their crisis. We are collateral damage and bare the scars. I see my husband and he seems very pleased with his life, which is not at all a life I would choose. It is so very different from the life we built and shared.

We pick up the pieces of ourselves and are grateful for the times when we are experiencing joy and excitement. But there is a shadow, the memories remain embedded in my heart of what once was and how life could be for both of us together. But that is not what he wants.

I do think it is understandable that we feel sadness, for we are beings that feel a wide range of emotions. I am not sure the MLCer feels much of anything.

Understanding how our amygdala contributes to this fear and how our nervous system responds is really helpful to bring me back to a more relaxed state. I was going to restorative yoga classes twice a week which seemed to help me maintain this state but I was traveling and then I got sick...I notice a difference when I am not practicing that regularly.

Thank you for sharing how you are doing. It is very helpful to others. Thank you also for all the time you take to respond to people on HS. Some of the things you talk about are often not explained well on the outside world and in order for us to regain our balance, it is helpful to know what our brains and nervous system are doing...as well as knowing that none of us are alone in how we are feeling.

Years ago, many of us met up in person in various locations around the world, and those few days were some of the best therapy for me. To meet others who I knew quite well from the forum in person, there was an instant connection and a huge "relief" that the thoughts and feelings I had were shared by others.....because people that had never had this happen to them, really didn't understand.

Give Gracie an extra treat and enjoy your day!
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

T
Fettling
#96: October 26, 2022, 08:31:44 AM
Happy Birthday, treasur!

I'm glad you had a good day, and I, too, want to thank you for continuing to post; your insights and ability to pick things apart into their component pieces helps us all see a bit more clearly, I get so much from this even many years down the line. 

And I'm so glad Gracie is doing well!

x

C
Fettling
#97: October 27, 2022, 12:56:55 PM
Sending you belated good wishes for your birthday, and thanks for all that you contribute within this community. I am so happy that you are loved and celebrated on your birthday, even if it looks a bit different than it used to.

I’m grateful for your continued updates - it’s not quite the same to just see your posts in other threads, and the updates about how you (and Gracie, of course) are doing. So happy to know you are both well, and that she is refined enough to enjoy a nice piece of buttered toast now and again.

Fettling
#98: October 28, 2022, 01:26:44 AM
 Thank you all for your happy wishes  :)

even if it looks a bit different than it used to.
Well, yes. Quite a lot of things are.

Was lightly musing while weeding in early light this morning. (Nuts, I know, but I like the calm of autumn morning as the birds wake up and autumn light is nice!)

Ignoring the whys and whatnots, the reality is that someone I trusted thought it was ok to unilaterally destroy much of my old life when I was at my most vulnerable bc of other events or that my suffering was an acceotable price for their happiness.....there were so many middle paths not taken. I find now, as a vet, that makes me a little cynical about some things in a way I wish I were not....but i’d feel silly or as if I hadn’t been paying attention if I weren’t. At the same time, in a magic bit of dissonance, I am usually profoundly touched by how remarkably kind, loving and thoughtful we humans can be. It can be a head-scratcher lol.

As time and my perspective has moved forward, I find my take on MLC is different than it used to be. I believe it exists, that some folks can just unravel....but I also think that we humans can encounter situations where we give ourselves permission to treat other humans horribly. And that there are components of someone’s character that enable them to do this. Necessary but not sufficient character traits. A kind of immature human San Andreas fault line, if you like. Hard to predict but sometimes easier to see with hindsight.

More importantly, for LBS, I think we have to acknowledge that there is a fine and tricky line between seeing MLC as an explanation and seeing it as a partial justification. Or even a kind of distracting glitter that can segue into a kind of soft denial of things in front of our nose. It’s so understandable, isn’t it, that very human need to explain why something happened to us and why we couldn’t foresee it or do much to prevent it happening? At a very simple level, I suspect it is how our hind brains seek to protect us in future....if x happened bc of y, then I can stop it happening now by doing z or prevent it happening again by being on the lookout for y. So normal. The big lesson for me, I think, is to respect the power of the mindf**k and do whatever we need to do to remove ourselves from it, to honour our own normal whatever anyone else thinks about it.

There are some big simple lessons hidden in our messes, aren’t there?
That we suffer more when we hang on to things. That trauma has a real effect on wellbeing. That you don’t have to hate someone, or even be particularly angry, to say No or Enough. That if things quack like a duck etc, they are more often than not a duck. That you can’t Nice or Reason someone out of wanting to abuse or devalue or leave you. That boundaries feel weird before they feel comfortable. That we really only control, and sometimes then to a limited degree, what lives on our side of the street. That we have much less influence than we think on other people’s side of the street, but also much less responsibility, obligation or accountability. And that sometimes really big horrible sh&t happens around us not because of us  :)

Years on, I honestly pretty much don’t know why what happened happened. I can hypothesise but I din’t know. Which is uncomfortable tbh. Years on, I honestly don’t know if my former h ever loved or valued me or my family at all. Bc my version of common sense says that you don’t do some of the things he did, or didn’t do, over and over again for years, had that been so. And that’s uncomfortable too bc it leaves me not knowing the reality of something like 50% of over 20 years....what’s that, about 20% of my adult life? And feeling like the only thing I could have done to avoid the horror of what happened was never married or trusted my then h. To see what I couldn’t see or know what I didn’t know. And of course, that choice is beyond my control too lol. And all of that acceptance of reality stuff sucks. I kept trying to join the dots for years and years bc I did not want to swallow that loss and those feelings too. None of it is what I wanted for my life or my future or my past or my family. But it was what I got  ::), so eventually I suppose it felt necessary to accept some things in order to stop chewing on them.

My experience is a sample of one though, of course it is, and the evolution from a h that started being very weird and was under psychiatric care  to a remarried vanisher who went poof is not the same as every experience here. It does seem to me though that being aware in oneself of that tricky line between explanation (to oneself) and soft glitter (about the spouse) is important. That both things can be true....that a spouse unravels into something unrecognisably weird in a situation beyond your control or comprehension AND that, without glitter, this person has shown you that they are capable of doing what they did to you given certain conditions and part of their mindset finds it acceptable enough to do it more than once or for an extended period of time. I have no idea how, having seen that, one can build anything good with that unless you see a thousand green flags over an equally long period that both the conditions and their mindset have fundamentally changed. And it’s a jolly difficult thing to assess someone else’s insides from the outside, isn’t it? And a bit tiring too perhaps to invest a lot of hypervigilant energy in watching lol.

It’s not my place to tell anyone else what to do about their spouse. After all, my score was 0-1 on the marriage front - with a lot of injury time ha ha. But, as a vet, I suppose I have to acknowledge my own cynicism about the utility of playing the MLC game with operating rules shaped by the MLCer or awol spouse. And the value of glitter lol. For most of us, this truly terrible and life altering thing happens and usually keeps happening for quite a while. And it upends us to greater or lesser degrees. There are very few examples of good reconciliation building after that kind of scourging....not none, but very few. But there are more examples of hard won ‘pretty good but different’ life building here. Which is why for me when I post now, I keep my opinions about MLC and marriages and reconnections et al (mostly) to myself and focus on trying to gently encourage LBS to accept what they see as a current observable reality, step back from mindf**kery (their own and others) when they feel ready and to begin inch by inch to work out what to do with the different version of their lives and their own normal.

To fettle ourselves and our own presents and futures, I suppose  :)

Not sure that always makes me an appealing voice lol. But I hope it makes me an honest and supportive one when as you say, Curiosity, it all ‘looks a bit different than it used to’  :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 01:48:16 AM by Treasur »

m
Re: Fettling
#99: October 28, 2022, 06:06:12 AM
Treasur I don't post much but do keep track of various threads. Just wanted to say what a great read and we seem to be in similar places and mindsets as I also have been pondering these same thoughts. Thank you so much for sharing it with us with such clarity.

To me your voice is always appealing. Nothing is more appealing than honesty (specially with self) and wisdom!
No Kids, 23 years at BD1 (4 years), married 21
First signs of MLC Jan '15
BD 1 Jan '17, BD 2 Mar, Separated Apr, BD 3 May,BD 4 Jun '18
First Sign of Waking up-Dec '17, First Cycle out of MLC Mar '18-Jun ‘18, Second cycle Jul '18-??
Meets OM Jan '17 and acts "in love," admits "in love" Jun '18, asks for divorce Jul '18

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.