Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story A clean slate

My Story A clean slate
OP: December 08, 2022, 09:12:09 AM
I guess this is a perfect time for me to start a new thread... The last one started 3 years ago when I was starting to move on from the MLC rollercoaster. Yesterday my divorce was final, hence the title of my new thread.. I'm sure there will be further processing and emotions to get through.. But today is the first day of a new chapter in my life, away from the MLC madness.

I'm sad that things ended the way they did but I'm relieved it's finally over. The last 5 years have been tainted with the pain that end of my marriage caused.. At some point I put all the good memories away in a little box somewhere within me. Too painful to remember them and too precious to forget.. I don't think the pain of the loss will ever go away completely but I hope one day I can look back and enjoy the memories without feeling my heart getting squeezed.

Old thread https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11253.0 
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
Together 15 years, M 8 @separation
No kids
BD1 - 26th Aug 2017 (Not happy, life has no purpose)
BD2 - 22nd March 2018 (Marriage is over, we want different things, confessed EA with someone 12,000 kms away although "she means nothing")
H moved in with parents 11th May 2018 (I asked him to leave as couldn't handle the EA rubbed all over my face)
H moved abroad 29th Dec 2018, not sure if OW will join him or if they are still in contact.
Confirmation H and OW are together, presume PA  - 3rd June 2019
H gets engaged with OW - Oct 2019
H "finally" asks for divorce - Aug 2020
H marries OW - March 2021.. We are not divorced!
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

"One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change"

• Mentor
A clean slate
#1: December 08, 2022, 09:21:40 AM
Following along One Day.
"I'm slowly learning to expect nothing and appreciate everything."

Together 28 years, married 27. Two adult kids, ours

BD #1: 2016 - EA  |  BD #2: 2018 - FA

W moved out - June 2019 | OM#3 - July 2019
W asks for divorce - August 2019 | Divorce final - September 2019 | Moving on

My thread: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11537.new#new

New Here? Read this! http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=1149.0

A clean slate
#2: December 08, 2022, 09:49:00 AM
Welcome to the 1st day of the rest of your life 1day ;)

I'm sorry what happened, happened...... but I'm also happy for you.
No more wondering, no more limbo. You didn't do wrong, and you didn't blow it all to bits.
I hope what comes next will be calm, peaceful and beautiful.

-SS

W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

H
A clean slate
#3: December 08, 2022, 09:47:26 PM
Following along too.  A new day can be refreshing.

HF
W - 42
M - 46
Together 19 years, M 17
2 kids
BD - July 2020
W Left Home - January 2021
W Filed for D - May 2021
D Final - Jan 2022

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
A clean slate
#4: December 09, 2022, 12:38:59 AM
Dear OneDay,

The title says it all.... The first day, a clean slate, a new dawn.....

UM
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

b
Re: A clean slate
#5: December 09, 2022, 07:19:49 AM
One Day,  this is a great title.  A fresh, clean slate to create a beautiful new life.  Now that the weight of the D has been lifted, I hope you can breathe in that freedom to make the rest of your life the best of your life.

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
A clean slate
#6: December 18, 2022, 05:39:49 PM
I don't think the pain of the loss will ever go away completely but I hope one day I can look back and enjoy the memories without feeling my heart getting squeezed.

Totally with you on this.

Welcome to your new thread.

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
A clean slate
#7: December 19, 2022, 01:58:15 AM
Hello,

Too painful to remember them and too precious to forget..

This was the same for me as well. Right after the divorce and for the next few years, I basically tried to make the past eighteen years disappear. If someone started to tell a story that involved my ex, I would shut it down with "Let's talk about something else." It didn't matter what the story was about, it involved her. That was the magical word. It was almost as if my ex became she who shall not be named. LOL.

However, things do change. Time passes and now, I can enjoy the good memories and stories even if she is involved. Because in the end, they are my memories and just because someone divorces you it doesn't mean you have to separate the good pieces of yourself as well. After all it is your life.

Continue with your new life and keep moving forward. In the end, you know he gave away the best thing in his life.

From the other,
((((Ready))))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

#8: December 19, 2022, 04:34:24 AM
Thank you all for joining my thread. It's been nearly 2 weeks now since my divorce so I thought I would come and journal the events of the buildup, the day and the aftermath..

The build up to D-Day was awful. I don't think I realized how much it was affecting me until I got to the other side. My friends and family were all trying to be supportive but their questions and desire to talk about what was happening was making me feel worse. It was all well intentioned but not what I needed at that particular point. I felt I wanted to isolate myself with my thoughts and feelings.. Nobody in work knew what was going on. I started this job 2 and a half years ago, I worked remotely from day 1 and while I get on really well with everyone, I have not shared anything about the painful end of my marriage. I work mainly with men so they don't ask many questions  :)   But I'd say people sensed I was not really myself, my job is stressful and I can normally deal with it but I was finding everything too overwhelming and I think it showed.

The hardest part was probably B. His marriage ended in a very different way, he has never fully understood how the end of my marriage affected me. I was coming back from IC sessions with my eyes red from crying and he couldn't understand why I was so upset. I think that really triggered his own insecurities, he felt our relationship was threatened so the couple of weeks leading up to D-Day were extremely hard to say the least. I got to a point where I couldn't deal with his emotions on top of my mine so I apologized, I told him I knew he was upset but I needed to look after my own emotions and feelings. We spent a few days in the same house but apart, sleeping in separate rooms. I really didn't know if our relationship was going to survive this test but at that particular time, I could only focus in not falling apart and getting to Dec 7th strong.

My IC explained that all I was feeling was normal. No matter how much I had moved on with my life and how much my head knew that the divorce was necessary, I was re-living the pain of the end of the marriage. It wasn't what I wanted, it was forced on me,  I had no voice, my opinion or feelings didn't matter and here I was, facing the divorce that it was not part of life plan.

On the day, I had a lot of offers from people to drive me, go with me, meet me after, etc which was very nice but I didn't want. I went by myself, I find it hard to cope with other people's emotions and opinions when my emotions are running high. I was afraid I could run into the ex in-laws or OWife but I still preferred to deal with that alone and in my own terms.  I got to the courthouse and my lawyer brought me into a meeting room. I saw in the sign-in sheet that exH was already there. I was overall calm but apprehensive. After about half an hour we got called in, as I was approaching the room we were due in, from the corner of my eye I saw him sitting down. I thought of Dragonfly at that moment and decided not to look at him. Again, from the corner of my eye, I got the impression he was looking at me as to say hi but I simply didn't see the point of it. He wanted me out of his life so we are not (and we will never be) friends.

We sat in the room, opposite sides and both facing the judge. As the applicant, he had to go to the witness box and testify. That was the first time that I looked at him, he looked unwell, he had a beard again. He didn't have a beard normally, he let it grow in the months between BD1 and BD2 and I saw it as a sign of depression. He shaved it off once he broke free and hasn't had it in any pictures I've seen of him in the last 4 years.. I found it curious he had it again, maybe the reminder of his old life made him grow it again.. He was nervous, he struggled to get the words out but since all the paperwork and financial agreement had been signed, the statement was short and he got back to his seat. All in all, I'd say we were in and out in 20 minutes. When we were done, I stood up and followed my lawyer to a room, never looked back and I didn't see him again. As hard as it was to get there, the words from my lawyer "You are now divorced" brought peace.. Peace that it's over, peace that I'm no longer at his mercy, peace that he can no longer blame me for anything that goes wrong in his life.

I left the courthouse, walked for a while, sat down for coffee and told everyone who was waiting for news that it was done. I literally felt a weight off my shoulders. I also see him as the looser in this, he thought he was walking into a great new life and it really hasn't worked out well for him. I, on the other hand, have built a great life from the ashes that I'm really proud of. It's not perfect but I couldn't even have dreamt of everything I have accomplished by myself.

Nearly 2 weeks on, B and I have rebonded and have had a great few days together. We have talked a lot and I think we have communicated a lot better in the last few days than in the rest of our relationship.. The ghost of exH that has been between us all this time seems to be fading. Life is good  :)

Curious fact: The pictures of my wedding are STILL on the wall at the ex-in laws' house as of yesterday.  :o

H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
BD2 - 22nd March 2018 (Marriage is over, we want different things, confessed EA with someone 12,000 kms away although "she means nothing")
H moved in with parents 11th May 2018 (I asked him to leave as couldn't handle the EA rubbed all over my face)
H moved abroad 29th Dec 2018, not sure if OW will join him or if they are still in contact.
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

"One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change"

• Mentor
A clean slate
#9: December 19, 2022, 06:35:45 AM
As you therapist said....

My IC explained that all I was feeling was normal. No matter how much I had moved on with my life and how much my head knew that the divorce was necessary, I was re-living the pain of the end of the marriage. It wasn't what I wanted, it was forced on me,  I had no voice, my opinion or feelings didn't matter and here I was, facing the divorce that it was not part of life plan

No say in something this important, no willingness on their part to fight for a love that mattered....it touches up deep within.

I feel your resilience as I read your words...take time to process it all. The build up to "that day" is horrific, and that is behind you now....like a new chapter in a book.

Peace to you and may your life bring you all the things that matter, all the things that you want for yourself.
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

A clean slate
#10: December 19, 2022, 11:49:48 AM
One Day, I am very proud of you! You managed it with dignity! Now you can continue moving forward and not look back anymore. My H was the same when we were at the court. My L told me he looked depressed. I just read a saying today that says when it’s not meant for you God will give the circumstances that will force you to let go otherwise you would still be clinging on to that situation that would destroy you. Funnily enough, after my H came back to me and still I was suffering instead of feeling happy, I prayed and said, if this marriage was not meant to last then please give me a reason that would force me to let it go. And He did! My H continued to hurt me to the point that I had to kick him out. It hurt a lot but I think it was the best decision I ever made for myself, to save myself. My D like yours was also forced on me but I think it’s a blessing in disguise. It detaches us from that toxic rollercoaster ride. I believe, had I kept clinging onto that marriage, at some point he would still decide to live the moment he found another OW. It was just a matter of time. It was just a transit for him. It would have been just prolonging the agony. I’m happy for you and I wish you all the best in your new life.
Me 43 at BD
H    45 at BD
Married 11 yrs at BD, no kids,
BD May 2019 (I moved out Nov 2019)
EA or PA with ex gf (not sure), H spent 3 nights with the hoe during our vacation in July 2019, it was a friendly encounter according to H
H wanted D April 2020 seeing suspected OW2 (divorced with two kids) and 2 years older than him, H didn’t file the D
Clinging boomerang
6/21 H moved in with me; kicked him out 01/22
H turned into a vanisher, wants a Divorce, OW 3 (16 years younger and extreme sporty)
14.11.22 Divorce final, I'm done

#11: February 27, 2023, 12:44:21 PM
Thanks xyzcf and Dragonfly33. I am resilient and I'm pretty far away from the puddle of tears that exH left behind nearly 5 years ago but certain things still hurt, don't they?

Journaling

Today is exH's birthday.. I find it interesting that at this point in my journey, I don't even question if I should say HB or not... But it doesn't mean I don't think of him and still wonder how we spent 15 years celebrating birthdays together and all of the sudden, there is not even a message exchanged.

Since the divorce, we had a few exchanges on email. There was a joint account that we needed to close and we got that done. And the final step was to deal with some of his belongings that were still in my house. He organized for his brother to be available in early February and B and I drove to exH's hometown. I got out of the car before arriving and B delivered the stuff on his own.... I was a bit anxious that someone in the family could drive by and see me so I was glad to see B coming back after a few minutes.. B asked me if I was sad after delivering xH's belongings. At that point I wasn't, it was the last tick in a VERY long list of boxes...

I guess at this point, 3 weeks have gone by and it's starting to hit me. There is absolutely nothing left to do and that means I will probably never hear from xH again... NEVER, what a word, it's very final but I need to come to terms with it I guess... How did it get to this? I will never understand it.. It's been nearly 5 years since he decided he was done and despite everything that has happened since, I still find it the most baffling experience of my entire life.

For people who are not familiar with my story, B and I have been in a relationship for over 3 years. Not an easy one and I have questioned it more than once but our main issues are due to scars from the past so somehow we keep getting through the rough patches. I wish I was one of the stories here where the LBS found new love and is even happier than he/she ever was in the his/her marriage but I'm not. My IC told me I would more than likely struggle in any relationship due to the trauma of how my marriage ended. It feels very unfair but it is what it is..

In about 2 weeks I'll be flying to my home country to visit my family and B is coming with me for the first time. My family has met him over Facetime many times, there's a language barrier so it's all very superficial but now it is time for him to come and meet my family face to face. This morning occured to me that the first time xH brough OW to this country and paraded her all over his hometown, there was a massive shift in me. It made it "official". xH used to come with me in my yearly trip home so I spent the last couple of trips navigating the "How come your H didn't travel with you?" questions..  Now it's my turn to bring "a new man" to my hometown and I can't help it but feel "it's wrong"  :o

As I have said many times, I'm very happy with the life I have achieved. I know myself a lot better than I did before and I have done things I never thought I was capable of. And yet, this was not my original life plan and I think my heart and soul are still struggling to truly accept that there is no going back. This is my new life, things are moving forward and sometimes I feel I'm simply an expectator in my own life, a life that I don't completely recognize. Am I the only one that experiences this sort of "out of body" experiences?

H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

E
A clean slate
#12: February 27, 2023, 02:17:03 PM
As I have said many times, I'm very happy with the life I have achieved. I know myself a lot better than I did before and I have done things I never thought I was capable of. And yet, this was not my original life plan and I think my heart and soul are still struggling to truly accept that there is no going back. This is my new life, things are moving forward and sometimes I feel I'm simply an expectator in my own life, a life that I don't completely recognize. Am I the only one that experiences this sort of "out of body" experiences?

Hey OneDay

Nope, you are not alone here! I still feel every day like I am watching someone else's life. Like this is Bizarro-land and 'my real life' is just over there, over the horizon. Sometimes if I'm driving home from work and my mind wanders I will think something like 'what will we have for dinner?', and the 'we' I'm thinking of is H and my kids, as though he will be there when I get home. And it's still a shock when I realise that this happened and he actually won't be there when I get home, and he very likely won't ever be there again when I get home. It's bizarre to me that I'm still shocked by it after more than 4 years.

Like you I am (relatively happy in the new life I've created. I have much to be grateful for. But it's not the life I planned, and not the one I wanted (still want ::)). So there is a weird feeling I have about this current life. It still feels like I'm wearing someone else's coat that doesn't quite fit. I'm hoping that eventually that feeling will go away and I'll 'grow into' this new life more and the shock will stop being shocking. I hope that for you too.
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
A clean slate
#13: February 27, 2023, 04:00:48 PM
Hello,

Yes to the "not my original life plan".  I was looking forward to retiring with my ex and spending my retirement watching our children become adults and having grandchildren to watch. My plans are gone and one of my daughters lives in another state with her mother while the other one lives near me.

But with every closed door, another opens. My new wife and I have our travels, adventures and other times together. She is a truly special person and I love her deeply. Never put me through the wringer and has always shown me respect and kindness. We have our moments, but we do communicate well. Bing watch movies and shows, find new places to eat, and what needs to be done on our home together.

I don't feel like I am on eggshells all the time and when I go home, I go to peace. I don't wish my ex happy birthday either and I actually feel better from the silence. I only have one more document to get filed with the retirement system and we are officially done. All I need is a stamp on one page and then I can be truly free.

My IC told me I would more than likely struggle in any relationship due to the trauma of how my marriage ended. It feels very unfair but it is what it is..

Every situation and person is different. While the end of my marriage was very traumatizing, I did not give up on the concept of love or marriage. After all, she divorced and left me. Now I have been married five years and we are still going strong. It is different, but the plusses outweigh the negatives and despite all my fears, my new wife has shown no sign of MLC and she is about to turn 50.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and if there is one thing I can say that I hope you can take comfort from is that your ex's choices and actions had very little to do with you or your marriage. This was all him and his choices due to conflict of his own essence. His very being.

Have an amazing evening and be good to yourself,

(((Ready)))

"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

A clean slate
#14: February 27, 2023, 11:27:53 PM
Another one here who gets that same feeling occasionally.  :)
Tbh I also get a kind of ‘Gosh did I imagine that old life/marriage/husband?’ feeling too occasionally.  ::)
It was a pretty weird experience to live through and I don’t think I could explain what happened and why now with any more clarity than I could have explained it then. Which is a bit weird too.
I think all that has changed, with time and other kinds of living, is that the strength of my emotions about it have faded significantly. And tbh, I don’t think about those feelings much now....I tend to live more in the present now, I think, for good or ill. Plus it was so horrific that I feel grateful every day that I am not in those post BD months/years.  :) I truly don’t think about it or him much now....but if I do, yes, it still seems surreal to me that I got from there to here.

Mostly tbh I treat it as if he died....have done for quite a while. May not make sense writ large, but it made sense to me......Easier to do of course with someone who vanished with no kids and no contact.

I’m not sure that i’d agree with your IC. After this experience, i’m A little cautious about using ‘always’ or ‘never’ about anything much....I prefer perhaps and we’ll see and I don’t know yet  :) I think it is probably true that this was a big hairy upending kind of life experience and those tend to shuffle our bits around for a while, don’t they? We don’t come out of it with quite the same perspectives that we went into it with, good and maybe not so good. Having said that though - and research backs this up lol - most of us have a kind of internal baseline, a core of who we are as individuals on some of the big stuff like optimism and love and commitment, that we tend to return close to over time even after trauma. Just with a few different coats, I suspect  :) The other thing that I suspect takes time too, maybe longer than we would wish, is knowing in our bones that whatever it was that caused it all was about someone else’s chaos....not ours, not other humans’ either. We may be left more sensitive to the smell of bad apples for a while, but one cataclysmically bad human apple does not make all apples rotten  :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 11:32:39 PM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• Mentor
A clean slate
#15: February 28, 2023, 12:37:14 AM
Another tick on the "Not what I had in mind for my future" box here.

Since I have a bit of a wallowing Clinger and we have 2 kids together, I have a fair amount of contact with MLCxW. In fact, this past weekend, she had to put her dog to sleep as a result of him having cancer and the kids were with me. I took them back to her place early so they could say "Goodbye" to the "Floof" (the nickname they gave him since he was a Samoyed so about 20 kgs of fluffy white fur and 10 kilos of dog underneath). She wrote me later and thanked me for being so kind and supportive.

I just let it go because there was nothing that I could answer besides a short "You're welcome" that wouldn't have been harsh.

But it did lead to a lot of thoughts like "I always was. You just couldn't or wouldn't see it."

As far as future R's go, I have been in one for 3 years now but I am still not interested in marriage again. After taking 2 trips around the MLC Mulberry Bush, I am just too hesitant/distrusting. It is not the fault of my SO but strictly on me. I noticed that too as I am living in her house, I do not feel "at home" and like I may end up having to move at any time based on her wishes.... Not a particularly relaxing way to live but, again, nothing specific that she has done  - just my own thing about keeping myself (and my kids) "safe" as needed
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

#16: April 01, 2023, 01:30:31 PM
Thank you all for your comments

Evermore, the coat that doesn't quite fit it's a perfect description. I'm wearing it every day and I know it's mine but it just feels "wrong"

Ready, I do follow your thread and I can see you have a wonderful marriage now which makes me very happy for you. I'm not sure I believe in marriage anymore... B wants to marry eventually but I find myself asking "what for?" It didn't stop xH from leaving so it's like I no longer believe that marriage means commitment...

Treasur, I probably have a bit more of a window into xH's life than you but I also treat it as a death of sorts. The person I knew is definitely not there anymore. I saw a picture of him recently and he looked like a stranger to me.. I had 0 emotional response which might be a good thing however it also feels "wrong" that I feel nothing when I see his face.

UM, what you said about your current relationship made me think about my own situation.. As I said above, marriage has lost its meaning for me too and after the long, costly and painful divorce process that only finished 4 months ago for me, I really don't want to even consider putting myself in that situation again.. And while not everyone is the same and just because xH walked doesn't mean B will, still...
I also hear you about the house, B moved in with me rather than the other way around and he has made a lot of nice improvements in the house, people have said the house looks a lot more "homely" now and yet, it doesn't feel to me like the same "safe home" I had before MLC hit. In my case, there has been a few things that B has done (his own trauma responses) that really triggered my fight/flight response and I think I haven't been able to let that go yet.

Journaling

I was reading a thread about how life in social media might look a lot better than real life.. I don't necessarily consider what happened to me proof of this but it does make me question it... Up to the point of my divorce, I used to check social media as OW was great at giving me evidence that could turn useful in the divorce proceedings if xH was to make my life difficult.. The fact that he got married in the middle east before divorcing me was "my wild card", all evidence courtesy of OW.. Since the divorce was final, I decided that their life no longer impacts mine. I can't claim I never look because sometimes curiosity wins but I know it's not what I should be doing, specially because I know I will only find pictures of happy faces, nice trips or whatever.... The thing is... if all those smiley faces and hints of a complete and happy life were true, why would OW be lurking in my socials? 5 YEARS after my xH left me for her????

About 2 months ago, someone created a dummy profile in LinkedIn and looked at my profile. xH has looked at my profile many times since he left so I don't believe it was him.. The country of the dummy profile is where xH and OW live and I don't know anyone else in that country so my only guess is that it was her... but I could be wrong..

But then last month, OW sent me a Facebook friend request  :o This was obviously a case of fat fingers because she removed the invite immediately and blocked me. I know who she is so the alert on my phone was enough for me to figure it out.. What's more interesting about this is that this happened 2 weeks before xH and OW came to xH's country to marry officially.. I have no idea why she felt the urge to look at my profile but maybe this has been happening all along and I didn't know. B has an xW and I never feel the urge to stalk her, she's his past and I don't have any doubts that their relationship is well and truly over.. Maybe OW is not that confident.. What's even more interesting is that when I checked a few days later, she unblocked me..

After some thought, I decided to block both OW and xH, I never blocked anyone before but it will serve 2 purposes, they won't see me and I won't be able to look anymore. I don't need to know anymore.

As for the official wedding, I will post some interesting insights I got later... This is getting way too long at this stage!
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

#17: May 02, 2023, 10:39:25 AM
Right... I see in my last post I was meant to come back later to post about their wedding.. But a month has gone by!! I guess life is not so much about them anymore!

So.. the wedding. Thankfully I was away at the time so while at the back of my head I knew their wedding was coming, I was too busy spending time with family and B to really care. Ex SIL (married to exH's brother) made a clear statement of how she feels about the whole thing by simply not attending. Her H had to go to wedding with the kids but without her and finally admit to his brother (exH) that his wife doesn't want any involvement with him or his new bride.. ouch! At this point, it feels like she's more affected by all this than I am  :o

I then heard from her a few curious facts that she heard from her H.. The night before the wedding and the wedding night, OW went to bed at 9pm and left exH drinking with his family. Maybe I can understand the night before the wedding. It was a great opportunity for exH to catch up with everyone but on their wedding night ??? I just find that very strange. The other thing that I heard is that OW spent much of their wedding day sitting on her own.. Sounds like the ex in laws are making her feel as welcome as they made me...  :-X They have nothing but good things to say about her (even when they met her a handful of times since they live abroad) but yet, when it came to it, they were happy to sit together drinking and ignore the bride. How charming! I have to admit, I don't miss them one bit!

Things returned to normal for me and since I blocked exH and OW, I literally have no way of knowing what's going on.. The only link I still have is my exSIL which I will probably have to thing how I handle as I realize that when I hear stuff from her, it pulls me back into MLC madness... Anyway, this past weekend exSIL went to visit ex MIL and FIL.. She was getting upset while she was there and was texting me as we always had that special connection around the in laws (not feeling welcome, how insensitive they can be about others' feelings, etc)
Anyway, in a nutshell, she told me that the pictures of my wedding are STILL hanging on the wall!!! I mean, WTF? They can do a straight swap now and hang the pictures of exH's latest wedding but nope! There's not one picture of exH with OW... and they stay with in ex in laws when they visit! I mean, does exH not tell his parents to remove the pictures? Do my ex in laws not realize that it could be very upsetting for OW (not that I care about her but still...) The wedding pictures are hanging on what my exSIL calls "the wall of shame" as there are pictures of 3 marriages which have broken down in the family (exH's 2 sisters) I can maybe understand why the 2 sisters' wedding pictures are there. They never remarried and their exHs are the fathers of their children so when the grandkids come to visit, they can see the pictures of their parents wedding... but my wedding??? It's either laziness or they truly live in lalaland!!!

The other piece of news I heard is that exH's older sister travelled to the middle east for a week "to support exH"... whatever is going on there, I have no idea but obviously things aren't too rosey. Either exH said something while he was here for his wedding or maybe they sensed something.. In the end it sounds like she went for nothing as exH spent all the time working and sol his sister spent the time with OW...

One thing I realized about all this is that whatever is going on, it has nothing to do with me anymore. And I really don't need to know. ExSIL apologized the day after for dragging me into the drama as she realizes it's not good for me. Not because it sends me back to the pain of 5 years ago but it unsettles me... Time will tell if I hear any more or not... In the meantime, back to me, my new life and my future!
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

M
A clean slate
#18: May 02, 2023, 03:39:25 PM
My xSIL wants nothing to do with XH new wife either. Lucky for her he has never told them he got married. Haha. I still am amazed these men who were unhappy and most felt controlled jump right back into another marriage. Sounds like they are off to a great start ( laugh, sniffle, chuckle)
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

s
A clean slate
#19: June 22, 2023, 08:34:45 PM
Behind the times here but better late than never.

So the photo thing makes me chuckle. My ex mil has a photo wall and when clington lived next door she has right by his bedroom door a picture of me, him and D11 who at the time must have been 1 at most. Ow went into that bedroom but must have seen it. I think you’re in laws think more highly of you than you think.

I was never divorced. Never married so I can’t relate to those feelings but I do relate to the issues you have with B. I think for me, I always think I could get another crisis kid. But you’ll never know. Not everyone is the same. You’re not the same as B’s ex wife just as he isn’t the same as your ex husband.

So glad ti hear your update and hope all is well
Me - 31
H - 37
3 children together D6 D9 D11 (D1 D4 and D6 at the time of BD)
Together - almost 8 years

BD & MLCer moved out - November 2017
OW discovered - December 2017
Moved in with Ow - November 2019
Ow met children - December 2019

#20: September 11, 2023, 12:22:27 AM
Journaling

It's been over 7 months since xH and I had the last mail exchange. Since he walked 5 and a half years ago, despite not having kids there were practicalities to discuss and things to finalize. The divorce was final last December and I pushed to get a couple of loose ends closed by early Feb this year... and since then there's been radio silence.. I expected this to happen but I was always curious to see if my suspicions were correct. I guess I have the answer now and I can't help shaking my head and STILL wonder WTF?

In ways, the silence and distance is good.. I find myself thinking of him less and less. Firmly moving on with my life and trying to leave this chapter of my life behind... But the other night I had one of those vivid dream in which xH was talking to me, crying and telling me that everything had been a huge mistake. That he now was married to someone else and had kids he didn't want (he doesn't have kids that I know of but maybe this is a prediction!) I can't remember exactly the words but he was sort of implying that he wanted me back...In my dream my answer was "But I moved on" I'm not going to lie, I woke up a bit rattled, everything in the dream felt very real. What I took away from it though is the fact that I was very firm on my answer.. I know it's just a dream but I want to think that somewhere in my subconscious this is how I really feel despite continuing to feel sadness for how my marriage ended.

That dream was on Thursday night.. Friday was my last day away on holidays and B and I flew home on Friday afternoon from Marrakech. A few hours later the earthquake happened and Saturday morning we woke up to a lot of messages from people asking if we were OK, if we were still in Morocco, etc etc... I obviously feel very lucky to escape such a horrific event and keep thinking about the places I visited, the people I met and wonder if they are OK. We visited the Atlas mountains and saw many little villages, talked to the locals etc and to now see images of the destruction is very upsetting... And at the back of my mind I have this little question.... how would xH feel if something would have happened to me? who he even care? I don't know if this question is there because the dream happened the night before... and it really makes no difference to my current life if he would or wouldn't... but still...

I'm actually glad I'm back to work today. The dream and the lucky scape has kicked off a lot of thinking and wondering in me that I don't really like..
Back to routine is good for me this time  ::)
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

K
A clean slate
#21: September 11, 2023, 02:12:42 AM
I think dreams can be like tarot cards, or horoscopes, they are a form of indirect meaning-making for us. Our response to the signs and symbols (to borrow from Jung) can help us navigate through our complex tangle of emotions and narratives. I think there is something to the theory that our subconscious speaks to us through our dreams. Your post resonated with me, because last night I had a dream in which my H kept imploring 'why can't you see me?' - I woke up slightly unnerved and a bit perplexed, but I will give this some thought. You seem fairly clear about what yours means, and it makes sense to me that you can still have moved on but feel sad about the loss.

It's such an awful situation in Morocco and it is very sobering when we have a near miss, as you did with the earthquake. A complex mix of emotions arise. Hopefully we find gratitude in being safe and find a way to pass it forward. Glad you are safe.

• Mentor
A clean slate
#22: September 11, 2023, 02:15:32 AM
Hi One Day,

Nice to hear form you ....

Yeah... Those dreams can knock us off-center for a bit but, like you said, they seem to be a way for our subconscious to make our conscious aware of things that we have not formally acknowledged before... Things left undone...

Ironically, I had an experience similar to your Escape from Morocco with MLCxW many yeas ago. We had been vacationing int he Maldives and got back to Germany about 36 hours before the Earthquake/Tsunami disaster hit the Indian Ocean. We were at xMIL's just before Christmas when it is and both our cell phones started blowing up asking if we were OK and if we were still there....
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

N

Nas

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
A clean slate
#23: September 11, 2023, 05:47:21 AM
Wow, glad to hear you just missed the earthquake. Those kind of things will certainly make you think about a lot.

... And at the back of my mind I have this little question.... how would xH feel if something would have happened to me? who he even care? I don't know if this question is there because the dream happened the night before... and it really makes no difference to my current life if he would or wouldn't... but still...

This resonated with me. I don’t ask it anymore but when I spent several years with statistics saying I’d be dead soon, I was often consumed with the question of how he could not care enough to even send a text. Even today, if something tragic happened to my former H, I would have some kind of reaction, complicated as it would be.

For me, after a long time of digging, I know the question “why doesn’t he care?” was actually a deeper question about being cared for/about my whole life. As I dealt with that, the question of him caring was integrated into bigger questions and realizations about life choices and why I made them. The answer eventually became irrelevant, and that was freeing. As you say, it makes no difference to your life, but it’s understandable that the question still pops up when something big happens. It’ll pop up less and less with time until it becomes your new normal and you don’t even realize you’re not asking it anymore.
“The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.” ~Margaret Atwood

You can either be consumed or forged. It’s up to you; the fire doesn’t care either way.

#24: February 26, 2024, 08:51:55 AM
Thanks KayDee, UM and Nas for your answers.. I'm back to dreams of xH and that prompted me to journal a bit.. The gift that keeps on giving  ::)

Journaling

Nothing has really happened since the last post. As a matter of fact, beginning of February marked the first full year of complete radio silence. It was to be expected as we no longer have any ties or reasons to communicate. I remember one of my first threads was called 'Will he be a vanisher?' Even early on I predicted that once the practical stuff was sorted, I would never hear from him again and it's certainly looking that way. Regardless of the fact that I'm no longer looking for reconciliation, I still find it somewhat puzzling that one person can spend 15 years with another and get to a point where they don't care at all about how that person is doing.. I don't have any relationship with xH's family, we don't have common friends and he lives in a different country so I expect he knows nothing about my life. Maybe, like UM says, he expects me to be waiting for him exactly where he left me and therefore he doesn't think there's anything to know... Maybe he's so happy in his new life that he doesn't care... But if I listen to my gut feeling, it tells me that he's so ashamed of what he's done that he has simply repressed all the memories of his past life and he simply keeps on keeping on with his new life because that's the hole he dug for himself. I don't know if I'm right or wrong of course, maybe it's just me projecting something I would expect from the H I knew...

I guess all of this is back in my head because I had a dream a couple of nights ago that left me rattled (again). Work has been extremely stressful over the past few weeks and I feel it's starting to affect my sleep and overall well-being (thankfully I have a long holiday coming up soon!!) In my dream, I was in the middle of my working day, stressed out and xh was struggling to understand what was going on. And then (in my dream) I started to explain to "someone" that xH was not used to seeing me stressed at work because he left when I was in a different job and didn't go through the transition to the new job with me  :o I mean, WTF? It was like, all of the sudden, we were magically back together and he was trying to figure out who the "new me" was. I woke up confused if nothing else... Why do I still have those dreams!!

About 10 days ago I heard that o'wife now has a visa to come and live in this country.. Maybe the possibility of them moving over here is playing around in my subconscious and that's the reason for my dream. I didn't really care much when I heard the news as I don't expect to see them even if they are back but obviously, the possibility of bumping into them somewhere becomes bigger when we are in the same country.. Part of me fears how I would react if I even see them as despite being at this for so many years, I have not experienced what many LBS have, seeing their x spouse with the OP. I want to believe I'll be fine but then again, how can I be sure?

The other part of me is getting popcorn ready as I'm not sure life for them will work out here. And if I'm totally honest, I obviously want it to fail. Again, not because I want him back but it would be a sort of vindication....  This is probably more about issues I still need to work through more than anything else.. But that's how I feel right now.  :P
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

K
#25: February 26, 2024, 01:40:42 PM
The other part of me is getting popcorn ready as I'm not sure life for them will work out here. And if I'm totally honest, I obviously want it to fail. Again, not because I want him back but it would be a sort of vindication....  This is probably more about issues I still need to work through more than anything else.. But that's how I feel right now.  :P

Well, there must be a kind of grim pleasure in knowing she will have to endure the in-laws, right :)

• Mentor
#26: February 27, 2024, 03:07:01 AM
Well, there must be a kind of grim pleasure in knowing she will have to endure the in-laws, right :)

Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
A clean slate
#27: March 04, 2024, 04:56:48 PM
Hey One Day!  I had a dream about my MLCer last night.  We were back at the old house around the time of BD when he was being a big meanie head.  It kind of left me shaking my head this morning wondering why I still sometimes dream about that time.  Residual echoes I guess.

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

#28: April 19, 2024, 07:47:54 AM
Thanks KayDee, UM and FaithWalker.. Karma is about to hit O'Wife I guess..

So.. xH and O'Wife packed their bags in the Middle East (after 5 years) and moved to xH's town. More specifically, to xH's parents home. The day that I've been dreading has come and, quite honestly, I feel absolutely nothing. I'm not sure if this is down to the overall feeling of numbness that has been with me for a long time (not specifically related to xH's, more of a generic numbness) or because despite still having some of the trauma effects of what he put me through, I don't actually care anymore about them being together.

It will be interest to see how things unfold for them now.. Nobody I know who knows him give 2 cents for that marriage to last but then again, they are probably saying what they think they should considering how my marriage ended...

No much more to report other than this. Life is good, I'm travelling quite a bit which is something I always loved but was hard to do with xH (he didn't like travelling) Still planning my future with my new partner. Life is not always rosey as we both have been hurt in the past and can trigger each other but I think we are really turning a corner, and understanding each other more.

I hope everyone is doing well considering the circumstances... And for any newbies reading this, the pain will lessen, life will go on, you will be fine, no matter what our MLC spouse does... even if it's hard to see that right now.
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
No kids
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

K
A clean slate
#29: April 19, 2024, 09:30:02 AM
Oh my, that must be a smorgasboard of feelings for you One Day. All of them sound a bit like bland cheese though  :) It's only human to want that relationship to sink, but, then, if he can running back, cap in hand, would you want him now? Seems not.  I guess the endurance of the relationship seems to somehow cast doubt on MLC etc, but the cold hard facts of his behaviour remain unchanged. And from what you've said, that relationship has some suspect codependency. They are both using each other to some extent and I guess, that can be strong motivational force. If mutual friends thought it was a good match, they'd probably just do a diplomatic response, rather than an outright dismissal. It must be hard not to want to know how the return of the prodigal son goes, but maybe best not to look (not even through splayed hands).

I'm so happy you are moving forward in your new R with a healthy perspective. It is a ray of sunshine to us folk, new in the bear pit they call MLC. Thank you for posting.

M
A clean slate
#30: April 21, 2024, 05:11:27 PM
One day at a time-
I think we do get to the unaffected stage after we can’t be surprised anymore.  They can still give us a jolt with status changes for a second, but that is just (IMHO) from having to worry if that will affect our forward moving progress. You sound like your more than mentally prepared for anything. I also think our unaffected emotions are based on our acknowledgement that they aren’t who they once were.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• Mentor
#31: April 22, 2024, 12:47:20 AM
Thanks KayDee, UM and FaithWalker.. Karma is about to hit O'Wife I guess..

So.. xH and O'Wife packed their bags in the Middle East (after 5 years) and moved to xH's town. More specifically, to xH's parents home. The day that I've been dreading has come and, quite honestly, I feel absolutely nothing. I'm not sure if this is down to the overall feeling of numbness that has been with me for a long time (not specifically related to xH's, more of a generic numbness) or because despite still having some of the trauma effects of what he put me through, I don't actually care anymore about them being together.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold for them now..

Sounds like you have graduated to the "observing a bug under a microscope" stage - no emotional involvement or impact - more like morbid curiosity - like watching an impending train wreck safely from a distance away.  Otherwise known as "it is what it is and what it is not is my circus or my monkeys. I have my own life to deal with and that is no longer a part of it."  I agree with KayDee though... Best to just leave them to it because it no longer needs to impact your life.
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.