Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic What's growing in MY part of the world

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Off-Topic What's growing in MY part of the world
OP: June 05, 2019, 12:42:16 AM
There was a suggestion in another thread that an Off-Topic thread be started to share what we LBS's are growing in our lives, be it gardens with flowers, vegies, fruit, kids, animals... heck, I guess even weeds if that is your thing...

So, here it is....

and my contribution of the day is this rose.... I planted it last year.  It is called a "Naomi" and the reason I got it is as a bit of a dedication to a lovely young lady from my church that did me the great honor of asking me to be her Confirmation Sponsor - Of course, her name is... Naomi.... so it fit perfectly....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6u4zv1on8hkgnd/IMG_20190526_190355.jpg?dl=0

Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

W
Re: What's growing in MY part of the world
#1: June 05, 2019, 12:53:01 AM
Nice 1 UM, should be a cool Thread  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:14:36 AM by UrsaMajor »
Married - 19,5 Years pre BD
Together - 21,5 Years
Me: 46
W: 46 (Acts 25)
BD 1: 10.01.2017
BD 2: 24.02.2017 OM 28 (now 31) Trainings partner. Is tolerated by LaFamiglia
2 Sons - 20 & 21
1 Dogs and a cat.
Own home . Sold!
Divorce Date 21.08.2018
T1  http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=8671.0

S
  • Mentor
#2: June 05, 2019, 02:41:38 AM
It's Winter here and been bitterly cold, not like in the UK and to rest of Europe, (let's not mention Brexit0   :-X but cold for us.   The Winter vegetable planting didn't happen because I was busy with lawyers ::)  I will definitely plant in Spring which can't come around fast enough.......

I'm thinking tomatoes, capsicums (peppers), beans and lots of basil and parsley.  Yum.......
"And when they ask you about me and you find yourself thinking back on all of our memories,
I hope you ache in regret as the truth hits you like a bullet and you find yourself replying: ""She loved me more than anyone else in the entire world and I tried to destroy her."  He failed by the way. 
http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=8412(Denjef's thread)

• Mentor
#3: June 05, 2019, 03:09:25 AM
It's Winter here and been bitterly cold, not like in the UK and to rest of Europe, (let's not mention Brexit0   :-X but cold for us.   The Winter vegetable planting didn't happen because I was busy with lawyers ::)  I will definitely plant in Spring which can't come around fast enough.......

I'm thinking tomatoes, capsicums (peppers), beans and lots of basil and parsley.  Yum.......

I have 6 Chili plants that are growing so far too ... all various levels of "nuclear waste" spicy (10+) - a white Jokola Bhut, a yellow one, an orange one, a Trinidad Red scorpion, and 2 others... We'll see how they turn out... Parsley, Cilantro, Lavender, and the rest flowers... Oh yeah, a red current bush... I decided not to plant strawberries this year as all that accomplished was to make a mess from the bird eating them before I got to them...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 05:14:54 AM by UrsaMajor »
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

#4: June 05, 2019, 03:16:10 AM
I can recommend drying chilis if you get lots...a dehydrator is fab but hanging them up to airdry is fine too. There is an Italian thing called peperoncino...a dried mixture of chilis and a kind of herbes de Provence put through a food processor which keeps for ages in a jar and is easy to use as a seasoning or blend into a paste. Be careful though...the chili dust in the air has a kick  :)
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

S
  • Mentor
#5: June 05, 2019, 03:24:42 AM
Recipe please Treasur!  I usually make Passata, even have a machine to push the tomatoes through - hand cranked though. XH used to grow the tomatoes and I would bottle them and make garlicy beans with passata, they were yummy! XH and I had NOTHING in common though :o
"And when they ask you about me and you find yourself thinking back on all of our memories,
I hope you ache in regret as the truth hits you like a bullet and you find yourself replying: ""She loved me more than anyone else in the entire world and I tried to destroy her."  He failed by the way. 

#6: June 05, 2019, 03:51:50 AM
I normally do half dried chilis and half dried mixed herbs that are shop bought...bit like the mix in the Italian seasoning here. http://www.eatingwell.com/article/290912/diy-seasonings-herb-mixes-you-can-make-at-home/ Just throw them all in a food processor and go whiz until the chilis are the same sort of size as the herb bits. No needs to take the seeds out or mess around. Then store in a clean glass jar with a lid. Will keep up to a couple of years easily.

You can sprinkle it, use to make a paste for a marinade or sauce, to make a chili oil or dressing or use with garlic and spaghetti for a quick pasta all'olio. Sautéed some pale green cabbage with a sprinkle of it for my uncle, and he loved it! The one caution is a little goes a long way, so usually a teaspoon is enough! My h used to love it...in fact I made my own as a surprise gift for him after we used up a jar we bought at a market in Rome...strange bc we obviously had nothing in common either!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 03:56:24 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

• Mentor
#7: June 05, 2019, 04:17:42 AM
I dried my last batch of chilis in my convection oven at 50 deg C... Took them a couple of days and I had to put a spoon int he door to hold it open a wee bit to let the moisture escape... A small dehydrator would probably work better though..
Me - 60, xW - 54
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
Moved on in life

Site Map

S
  • Mentor
#8: June 05, 2019, 04:54:25 AM
Ok, definitely growing chilies as well!  I'll start a list so I get myself organised for Summer.

• Mentor
#9: June 05, 2019, 09:37:24 AM
No flowers on my patio this year.  Too many bees and it's hard to sit out there, especially in the Spring and Fall.

So I have 2 patio tomato plants which are growing really well and already have tomatoes on them.

Then just a beautiful, full English Ivy hanging plant.
I need a few more green plants and a Hummingbird feeder.  Love those tiny birds!  It's so amazing to watch how fast their little wings go.

I miss my big veggie garden, but not enough room for them now.

A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.