Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Reconnecting New chapter please

h
    • Clare Brown Life Coach
My Story Reconnecting New chapter please
OP: November 27, 2019, 03:36:22 AM
Wow it’s been a while since I was last here.  I saw 31’s message while I was on a plane to Bali with D20 and promised myself I would update when I got back.  My last update was in August which I think was one of the suckiest months of the year.  D17 was at her lowest.  Regular psych appointments, anti-depressants and a forced change to her sleeping habits has turned that around and she has now applied for a beauty course next year and is excited.  It will be a very good fit for her because she loves all that stuff.  She had previously discounted that as a choice because she thought we would tell her that she was too smart for it.

S16 is finishing up his year of school and has quit one of his jobs and broken up with his long term girlfriend.  We have had a few conversations with him about “pulling his head in” because he has been letting his hair down a fair bit and sliding into drinking etc.  Overall, he has big dreams and is a very happy little camper.

D20 is still as happy as ever.  She’s had a great year.  It was her birthday in Nov and I made her a photo book that captured the previous years’ activities because there really was so much to put in it.  We were sitting on the couch one night in Oct and she realised she had a week of annual leave at the end of her new roster.  She asked me if I wanted to go to Bali with her so that’s what we did just after her birthday.  It was amazing.  I will definitely travel with her again because she’s just so chill.

H was a bit wobbly in August following his breakup with ow.  He took one of his female work colleagues on a Harley ride one day while I was on a quick interstate trip with my friends and then was rostered to work for 3 straight days (including an overnight) with the girl he also dated last year while on a break from ow.  He was flying out as I was flying back home so I met him in the lounge and spelled out the fact that my current field of vision included: Harley friend, last years ‘bit’ and ow (returning that week from her UK trip) and that it all seemed a bit hard.  He explained that Harley friend was “like a sister” and that last years bit would likely call in sick for their rostered flying anyway – uhuh, whatever you think babe!  She didn’t.  What a shocker.  I later asked him if he had invited one of his sisters on that Harley ride or even invited a male friend.  No to both.  I have since talked to him and shared my concern that I feel he is naïve about the mixed messages he sends his ‘sisters’ and ‘friends’. 

Over the course of the next week he told me that ow had come back and that he’d considered flying to her town to see her but “couldn’t do that to you” and that he was due to be in her town the following week but wouldn’t see her.  To his credit, he was super transparent when he was flying with ‘last years bit’ and also while in ow’s town.  She knew he was going to be there though so I suspect she did see him, possibly for the last time?

Just before all this, he had launched us both into an ensuite renovation in my bedroom which probably helped him stay on the straight and narrow–ish during that wobbly time because he didn’t want to leave me with a gutted bathroom.  That also gave him an excuse to spend all his spare time at our place.

September featured a couple of family birthdays that I wasn’t really invited to but H took me along anyway.  I got the whole “oh sooo happy to see you” treatment.  I then invited myself to FIL’s surprise birthday (organised by SIL) in Oct because if it hadn’t been a surprise, I know he would have invited me.  H and I went together but separately and I actually got a little lost on the way.  That resulted in a bit of a tantrum from me in which I was almost cross at H for not waiting for me when we got separated in traffic because “I haven’t been here in 3 years, you know”  I said that enough times for H to just grab me and hold me….and then I broke down.  As it turned out, he had pulled over to wait for me but I didn’t see him and I ended up in front.  As he was on his motorbike, he couldn’t really call me but also DID NOT think I would get lost anyway.  Lets face it, I wasn’t lost because I had a maps app but ya know, I just got a bit stressed.

D20 decided she wanted to do a wine tour for her birthday so H hired a bus and drove her and her friends around for the day.  This is normally something he would have been drinking at but obviously he couldn’t.  It was such a lovely day.  He is still drinking a lot but his demeanour when drunk is more funny and less @$$hole (quoting S16 here)

Just before we headed to Bali, H and D20 flew together for the first time and H organised for me and D17 to go along with them on an overnight in another town.  Gee that was fantastic.  I was so proud.  I had asked H if he wanted us to book a separate room for this trip or bunk in with them.  This would have meant I was sharing with H and D20 and D17 would have been together.  H hesitated about what the kids would think so I told him to get back to me and then just booked the room anyway. 

The next night he phoned me a bit drunk and apologised for not being more open to sharing rooms.  I told him it was no sweat and that I wasn’t in a rush to make that statement to the kids.  That ended up being a R talk where he confirmed that he is not talking to anyone, let alone ow, at the moment but is still heavily processing things.  I encouraged him to take his time and that I was focusing on the moments and really enjoying our time together.  He ended up convincing me to sneak out of the house and go to his house to cuddle up with him.  I left a note on my pillow in case one of the kids came into my room (highly unlikely) and went to H’s house.  I was back by 6.15am the next morning – which was our overnight with H and D.  No one knew I’d gone

There have been a number of sleepovers since and we are both cherishing going to sleep next to each other and waking up with each other.  There is no talk of him moving back home yet despite the fact that he never sleeps at his place and that is pretty expensive.  I think it suits us both right now.  I think we need to get through Christmas and New Year without those big statements and just continue to inch forward in our healing, individually and as a couple.

We were both invited to his best friends annual party on Sat night.  Huge bash.  Last years bit (lyb) was going so I said I wouldn’t.  I left it to H to decide what he would do.  He stayed with me and we had another R talk.  He is reluctant to talk negatively about ow or lyb but said that he had been a “c word” to both of them and ow 1 (2013).  I asked him why he thought that was and he mostly thought that it was because they weren’t me.  I asked him how he managed to have respect for a woman who would take that treatment from him and he looked a little blank.  If I could have interpreted his look, it would have meant that he couldn't lose respect for someone he never had respect for in the first place.  He said he knew it would never last but that he had developed feelings for her and was still processing those. 

For the first time, he agreed that she was more like an addiction because he said that they had nothing in common.  She is a bossy, vegetarian, rain lover and H is the opposite.  I was really surprised when he said she was bossy.  As if that would ever work with H!!  He did tell me that she lives in a “firetrucking fantasy world” where up until 6 weeks ago, she planned to go to the UK for 12 months and then return to a newly divorced H so that they could marry and have kids.  She now thinks “she’s done” but I don’t think so and told H the same.  He said that it was an ugly breakup which was different to their first breakup towards the end of 2017.  He said that she had planned to move to our town by the end of that year but I remember him blocking that and also her applications for jobs here.  It took another 2 years of progessively worse breakups before it looks like they are done.  Most of this year they have been off way more than they were together. He said that while he was in their little bubble in her town, he went along with her plans but as soon as he got on the plane to come home, they went out the window.  That matched up with what I thought was happening as well. 

I asked him if he is now feeling bored because he no longer has so much emotional management to do and he said he is just starting to feel relaxed.  He is still worried about doing it again though.  I suggested that he might not know until he is tested again.  I have observed him making solid decisions for a while now (like missing the party on Sat night) so I am hopeful that the passing of time will help build his confidence.

On Sat we went to buy S a new motorbike and we were being heavily sold to in the shop.  H was about to sign on the dotted line but I went quiet because I had wanted us to shop around.  I was actually expecting that we were being given the best price based on some earlier research but I just wasn’t that comfortable with how quickly it was all moving.  H took one look at me and asked the salesman when the shop shut and then told him that we needed to do some more shopping.  Outside the shop, he made 2 phone calls to other bike shops and found that our price was the lowest so we went back inside to make the deal. 

I thanked him for doing that and was quietly shocked at how well he’d read me.  He told me that it had been one of best moments of his day – recognising that he needed to make his wife happy and then doing it.  When then went across the road to the Harley shop and he wandered over to the women’s section.  I quickly caught up….as you do.  He told me that he’d wanted to buy me a jacket for Christmas and the one he was holding was STUNNING.  I tried it on.  Oh my god.  A jacket shouldn’t be that nice.  At $780 I guess it should be.  My financial planning self went on a brief holiday and we ended up getting it.  That was another highlight of H’s day.  Later that night (which was the night of that party we missed) he apologised for looking for “more” happiness because he said that life didn’t get any better than today.

He also told me that when he’d first met ow, it was about a year after they had been talking and then flirting by phone.  That kinda amazed me because she was his go to girl at work.  Anyway, he said that he was disappointed when he actually walked in the room.  She, on the other hand, shook while she spoke to him.  I said “that must have felt good”.  He admitted that it did but that he spent a good deal of time after that telling her that he was not her Prince Charming.  No doubt that made him more attractive whilst he probably continued to flirt and send very mixed messages.

Also, he said that the moment that ‘lyb’ took her clothes off for the first time, his first thought was ‘dissapointed’.  She is a very beautiful young blonde Russian girl but not as beautiful with her clothes off apparently.  H said that he’s realised that it’s all just the same thing.  It’s all just sex.  He admits to being caught in the thrill of the chase and stupidly surprised when it pays off.

Christmas this year will be spent together and H has agreed to dogsit for roomies over New Year.  He is to just spend the evening with me, maybe at the beach and keep a low profile.  Sounds like bliss to me.  Way better than last year when I was alone and bawling my eyes out while he was in ow's town bringing in the New Year with her.  Yep, that was a low.  We also have a family holiday planned on the 17 of Jan for a week.  Cannot wait for that one.  I originally booked that for the kids and I and invited H if he wanted to come.  He has become gradually more committed to that and is now helping with the planning.

Feeling super grateful for all the good things in my life right now. 

Last threadL https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=10622.new#new
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:55:31 PM by Thunder »
BD's in May 09, Sept 12 - suspected OW
Left home Jan 12 2013
OW confirmed Feb 2013
Moved home April 11 2014
BD again in April 2017 - clinging. 
Moved home again March 2020
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Re: New chapter please
#1: November 27, 2019, 03:49:27 AM
H is making some progress... Won't be long and you'll be sporting a Pink Icon at this rate...
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

M
#2: November 27, 2019, 10:10:18 AM
Loved your update, Hope! Thank you so much for coming back to update us. We love all the details, too!
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

• Mentor
#3: November 28, 2019, 08:23:32 AM
Really nice update, Hope.

I wish you two more happiness as he reconnects with you.  So good to hear.   ;D

Hugs
A quote from a recovered MLCer: 
"From my experience if my H had let me go a long time ago, and stop pressuring me, begging, and pleading and just let go I possibly would have experienced my awakening sooner than I did."

h
    • Clare Brown Life Coach
#4: November 29, 2019, 08:04:16 PM
Thanks for reading Ursa, Milly and Thunder :)

I haven't done much monkey braining lately but I did some last night.  Its amazing how used to a semi routine you can get and when it's  slightly changed, it is a bit of a trigger.  H stayed over on Thurs night and left for work from our house yesterday morning.  I was wondering what his plans were after work and then he said he'd see me at the cricket on Sat afternoon.  I figured he'd come back to our house because he had quite a bit of free time on Sat morning before he was supposed to take D 20 to the cricket at 2pm.    I started wondering if he had breakfast plans with someone else.  I found myself checking our find my friends app to see what he was doing and was relieved to see him at his place (or at least his phone was).

Now I probably was a little too sensitive because D17 and I had planned to go to the movies at 9.30pm and he finished work at 9pm so it really wouldn't have been very interesting to come to ours.  He also hasn't been at his place for a while so when I spoke to him this morning he was in the middle of being a 'domestic god' and catching up with cleaning and washing.  D20 was also supposed to meet him at his place at 12.30pm (not 2pm) which is a lot closer to the cricket than our house and is a much cheaper taxi fare.  I will be taking over D20's ticket later on and spending the rest of the evening with H there unless we decide to go out somewhere in the city. 

I am taking over D20's ticket because she is going to the company Christmas party - the same company H works for.  Lyb is likely to be there so I have no interest in going and once again, H is making a solid choice by staying with me.  He was supposed to go to the cricket with his best friend and host of last weekends huge bash but he didn't pursue those initial tentative plans because D expressed interest in going for a little while and then I said I would take over her ticket when she left.  He seemed happier with that plan than going with his best friend. Best Friend also works for the company and would have definitely wanted to go to the company Christmas party when the cricket is finished.

I have noticed him making more contact with his family lately even though it means he is fielding a lot of questions about what is happening with us - which he doesn't like.  It doesn't stop him making plans with me or trying to hide me in any way.  We are both in a "like or lump it" space with everyone at the moment and the kids are happy with the amount of time he is around and the quality of human he is when he is around.  Seems they have excellent bull$h!te detectors.  D17 is getting a little worried about losing me to H I think which is partly why I think H wasn't here overnight and this morning.  We had a phone call from her psych yesterday which basically told us that.

Last weekend we went for a Harley ride with one of his friends who H thought I had met before.  I hadn't and he asked me at one stage during the day if I also worked for the company (big company).  I said no and then there was a distraction that changed the subject.  When I went to the toilet, H later told me that friend had asked H where he'd met me.  I laughed and asked what he'd said.  He said "she's my wife".  That would have been funny to see
Left home Jan 12 2013
OW confirmed Feb 2013
Moved home April 11 2014
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

h
    • Clare Brown Life Coach
#5: November 30, 2019, 06:59:01 PM
In a bit of a love bubble today and feeling a little bit terrified.

I met H at the cricket yesterday afternoon as planned.  I got there in a terrible mood due to parking issues and H quickly absorbed it.  I then backtracked and apologised before we got on with our afternoon.  We stayed for about an hour and a half before we decided to go into the city for dinner.  We were nicely dressed so we dined in a pretty expensive restaurant in a hotel.  It was sooo nice.  After dinner we decided on a nightcap at another quiet hotel and managed to lose 2 hours talking and winding down memory lane.

H again apologised for what he has done to me and said I was an amazing woman for putting up with him.  He had a few beers by then so was reluctant to have an R talk because "we need to talk when I am completely sober" but it just evolved that way.  He said that he doesn't have an agenda of what we should talk about as such but it would be about how we move forward.  He said that very little had changed since the night he first moved out. He'd cheated then and he hasn't really resolved anything.  I explained how I had asked him to leave because I knew I would have had a 3rd person in our marriage and that I wouldn't get much sense out of him until the fantasy bubble popped. 

I now think that there was a time that the bubble was not yet formed and I may have been able to influence the end rather than push them together but I think H would have always had a question mark over himself and ow.  I was fortunate enough to get an ow who completely disregarded my existence and pushed hard for a relationship so I am confident that she wouldn't have let go until he effectively killed her off of his own volition.  I can see he has learned a lot from this time but he can't see it yet.  I think guilt is fogging his glasses.

He is convinced that he won't hear from her again and I shared that I was less confident and would like to know what his plan is if she does prior to him moving home.  Or, for us to at least have agreement about all sorts of boundaries with female friends etc.  I have put the responsibility of recognising those tell tale feelings of attraction to another female and dealing with them honestly within himself first and then protecting us appropriately afterwards in his hands.  I told him that I have no interest in monitoring this and he would need to do it himself because he wants to - not because he is doing it for me.  I asked him if he was ready to be brutally honest with himself and he said yes.

He asked me to pull my guard down.  He told me that he wants to see more of the little girl I have talked about on occasions.  I know that I have every justification for keeping that guard up but he is absolutely right and I love that he sees through my defences and is asking for more.  In the past, he has always put me on a pedestal and just taken his bat and ball to play with others rather than hinting that I might not be perfect.  To have him ask for more under these circumstances felt like a milestone to me.  He talked again about what others would think about us getting back together and then, as per usual, he follows with "not that I care what others think". It is a recurring theme for him so I was pleased when he said, "I wouldn't be going back, we'd be going forward". Bingo H.  Lightbulb moment for him and joyful moment for me.  Its really started to looking like he's strapped his boots on and is getting ready to work.

I sent him a text just a moment ago which was far more emotional that normal.  I wanted to take a risk because I am going to need to play it a little less safe here I think.  He just called me to say how much he appreciated it :).
Left home Jan 12 2013
OW confirmed Feb 2013
Moved home April 11 2014
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

M
#6: December 01, 2019, 01:59:30 AM
Oh, Hope, what a wonderful post! Thank you soo much for sharing! It's so wonderful that your H is making giant strides forward, that he even talks about the hard stuff, as much as is possible in one go. Loved your expensive hotel dinner. So happy for you.xxx
Married 1989, together since 1984 
BD May 2014,
D26, D23, S16
OW Physical Affair same one. He and she said she turned 34 the month of BD. She turned 52 this year.

#7: December 02, 2019, 03:00:04 AM
A couple of great posts Hope. I was getting a bit worried as we hadn’t heard from you and I checked your FB and saw your travel photos.  :). Lots of exciting stuff happening in these posts. The comment about the little girl makes me think he is interested in a more emotionally intimate relationship.
Xxx look after yourself. Not
Me 64
H 62
D 29
BD March 15
OW ex from 38 years ago

#8: January 05, 2020, 03:21:17 PM
Hi hope! Haven’t been on in a long long time😜
I can’t really respond too much your H is there as is my H( mine returned ya da ya da ya da )
But now his mind is elsewhere again. No other woman but he trying to decide about retirement and what to spend his father’s  $$$ on. He constantly feels the need to be busy and bothered! Honestly I’m past that!   I want to leisurely tray and be with our young grandkids but he’s constantly “working” on his next big project. It’s not sitting well with me
Of course you sound amazing and strong 😉

31andcounting
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:25:29 PM by 31andcounting »
Hurting people hurt people :(

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
#9: February 18, 2020, 12:47:52 AM
Hope, it's well into the New Year!

What's new in your world?
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.