Skip to main content

Author Topic: Off-Topic Article on MLC

Off-Topic Article on MLC
OP: April 06, 2019, 05:49:25 PM
Atleast there is some recognition. This article published in major Australian newspapers.

https://whatismidlifecrisis.blogspot.com/2013/07/signs-of-depression-in-mlc.html?fbclid=IwAR27LDnGaw6gS8mjCsWl2S-r_RLVemi56cNCkVE3M8pKVxc0-ul1I28v5-4&m=1

It started three years ago," says Serena*, 47. "My husband, Dom*, told me he was thinking about quitting his job as a company director, and launching a start-up making artisan chutney."

Mindful of having two children at a private school and a large mortgage, Serena persuaded him to try it as a hobby first. "It didn't work out, but then he spent his Christmas bonus on a blingy racing bike."

Sheela Mackintosh-Stewart: “A midlife crisis can hit from the late 30s, often slowly over time, so it is important to be alert to any odd or rash behaviour.”
Sheela Mackintosh-Stewart: “A midlife crisis can hit from the late 30s, often slowly over time, so it is important to be alert to any odd or rash behaviour.”CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
Worried by Dom's uncharacteristic behaviour, Serena confided in female friends. "They were pretty sure it was a midlife crisis and shared stories about despair, divorce and husbands who had run off with nannies."

When she tried to discuss it with Dom, he refused. "He was defensive, and I felt very alone and scared about the future. I suspected the next stage was probably an affair."
Advertisement

Eventually, Serena persuaded Dom to open up. He insisted he wanted to stay with her and get through it, and on her suggestion, agreed to see a therapist, because a number of the symptoms of a midlife crisis align with those of depression.

"The therapist helped him see that he had been living his life ticking boxes – good job, nice house, holidays twice a year – and he didn't feel it was his true self."

She says the crisis was partly to do with approaching the big five-0. "It's a significant milestone for many men and is a time when some become keenly aware of their own mortality," explains psychologist Meg Arroll. "This can result in a profound sense of turmoil and confusion as life may not have turned out as envisaged."

Serena admits that she struggled during the whole period. "Although I knew Dom was unhappy, I felt he was being selfish. I used to lock myself in the bathroom and cry a lot. I did see a therapist myself a few times. We talked about the impact Dom's crisis was having on me and the children, and coping strategies like self-care, but actually, discussing it just made me angrier. Looking back, what really got me through were my female friends who were experiencing something similar. A few of them split up, so I feel fortunate that I rode it out."

Therapy did help Dom, and now, Serena says, "He has stopped all the 'young again' nonsense, and we're downsizing so he can take a step back at work. I'm glad I saw it through with him, but I don't envy any woman whose husband has a midlife crisis."

Advertisement

And there are many. In a recent study of 1000 males aged 40 and above, a third said they had lost their "spark" and 58 per cent felt they had gone through a crisis of some sort. On average, the crisis lasted around two years and the most common age of onset was 47, according to Arroll, who conducted the study.

RELATED ARTICLE
“I did feel I should forgive him because I loved him and it happened such a long time ago. I also thought I could trust him … But then he stopped going to counselling.”
SEX & RELATIONSHIPS
Trust or bust: How three women navigated life after their partner's affair
Add to shortlist
There is good reason for the cliché of a middle-aged man buying a red sports car. A third of men used spending to deal with their feelings, Arroll's study found. Popular items included – you guessed it – sports cars, motorbikes and tattoos. One man even bought himself a python.

Celebrities aren't immune. Witness Ben Affleck's massive back tattoo of a phoenix rising from the ashes (acquired aged 43). And then there's Johnny Depp, who at 49 split from his partner of 14 years, Vanessa Paradis.

"I didn't buy a multicoloured Maserati or Ferrari," he said, referring to that time, but admitted, "I don't think we have a long enough piece of paper to name the things I inflicted upon myself during my midlife crisis, but I will say it was called self-medicating."

Advertisement

If you suspect your partner is heading towards a crisis, lawyer Sheela Mackintosh-Stewart, who is also a relationship counsellor, suggests avoiding asking questions such as "Why are you behaving like this?" or "Is there someone else?"

Mackintosh-Stewart says these kinds of questions will make him shut down. "Instead use phrases like, 'I can see you're struggling. Tell me how I can help.' He may just need space."

But what about your own needs during this time, particularly if you are also caring for children and elderly parents? "It's easy to feel defeated and destabilised, so it's vital to take care of yourself mentally, emotionally and physically, and set to clear boundaries and expectations."

While there are plenty of self-help books, apps and therapy courses for men, there are very few resources for "crisis spouses" who often find themselves struggling as a result of living with a suddenly changed and distant husband.

"For these partners, burying their heads in the sand and waiting for the worst to happen is not an option," says Mackintosh-Stewart. "A midlife crisis can hit from the late 30s, often slowly over time, so it is important to be alert to any odd or rash behaviour."

Advertisement

Of course, sometimes it's too late. Emma Olsson, 52, discovered on her 14th wedding anniversary that her husband Nick was having an affair. "He'd been short-tempered for about a year and I had put it down to job stress," she says. "Eventually, I checked his phone. It turned out that he'd reconnected with a woman he'd dated as a teenager, and they were having an affair. He was a deeply loyal family man so I couldn't make sense of it."

It was only when Emma searched online for information that things fell into place. "There were so many stories from women whose husbands suddenly became someone else. These men were all high achievers, had experienced childhood trauma and had an emotionally unavailable parent. So the child is taught to suppress emotion, and finally, at midlife, it all bursts out."

RELATED ARTICLE
Are you having a midlife drinking crisis?
Are you having a midlife drinking crisis?
Add to shortlist
Psychologist Dr Hamira Riaz agrees this is often the case, particularly for men who have enjoyed financial success and status. "In adolescence, men think they're creating an identity for themselves but it is highly influenced by family, cultural and generational factors. It is essentially someone else's script. By midlife, that script is redundant and they have to write their own – a very scary prospect."

For partners subject to this emotional earthquake, finding solid ground can be difficult. Emma says that while she was desperately hurt, unpicking the reasons for her husband's affair helped her when their marriage ended. "Understanding that this was a midlife crisis helped me to realise that it wasn't about me. He left and I had to focus on the children but though it was hellish at the time, I'm far happier now."

Advertisement

However, Dr Riaz points out that for those couples who come through the other side, their marriages can actually end up stronger. "There is often a period during which couples need to revisit their inherited ideas about love and intimacy," she says. "It is a fruitful experience and the rebooted marriage will be a healthy vehicle for them to grow into old age."

This was the case for Serena. "It made us weigh up whether we wanted to be together. Now we're more honest and more secure because our marriage has been tested."

* Names have been changed.

Seven signs of a male midlife crisis
By psychotherapist Rachel Morris

Advertisement

- Low-level dissatisfaction with life that continues for months without resolution.

- Sudden passion for extreme exercise.

- Opting out of social gatherings.

- Fragmented sleep.

- Dramatic change in style – V-neck sweater man goes skater boy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:01:15 AM by OldPilot »
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD
1 daughter - 2 1/2 years at BD
BD 1 - January 6, 2018 moves out
November 2018 - moves back in for 1 month then leaves saying relationship over, wants a divorce then flies over last minute to be with OW on holiday.
BD 2 - OW confirmed December 14, 2018 - meeting up with her for holiday
BD3 - engaged to OW December 21, 2018
BD 4 - tells me he is moving back to home country on January 27, 2019. Gives me 5 days notice. His flight date is February 1, 2019.

I just want the money and him out of my life!

Re: Article on MLC
#1: April 07, 2019, 04:01:28 AM
Very interesting Limbo.. It does make you wonder if the world is finally waking up to the fact that MLC is a very real thing.
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
Together 15 years, M 8 @separation
No kids
BD1 - 26th Aug 2017 (Not happy, life has no purpose)
BD2 - 22nd March 2018 (Marriage is over, we want different things, confessed EA with someone 12,000 kms away although "she means nothing")
H moved in with parents 11th May 2018 (I asked him to leave as couldn't handle the EA rubbed all over my face)
H moved abroad 29th Dec 2018, not sure if OW will join him or if they are still in contact.
Confirmation H and OW are together, presume PA  - 3rd June 2019
H gets engaged with OW - Oct 2019
H "finally" asks for divorce - Aug 2020
H marries OW - March 2021.. We are not divorced!
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

"One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change"

#2: April 07, 2019, 04:57:17 AM
It's like a checklist to tick all the boxes isn't it! :)
You know this is MLC when you have played emotional hot potato with a pair of crotch-less tights.

#3: April 07, 2019, 08:07:24 AM
One day - maybe the world is waking up to it. It’s funny because when you say midlife crisis everyone has a laugh. But the trauma is real. There is no reasoning with the men and women who are going through it.

Mortes - my ex is a tick box man. I think he believed having a child would make him happy. Whoops it didn’t so he decides to leave. When our daughter was 2 he was having an emotional (physical) affair with his now “fiancée”. I’m sure he will get married to his OW and have a baby as he will be fixated on ticking his next set of boxes.
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD
November 2018 - moves back in for 1 month then leaves saying relationship over, wants a divorce then flies over last minute to be with OW on holiday.
BD 4 - tells me he is moving back to home country on January 27, 2019. Gives me 5 days notice. His flight date is February 1, 2019.

#4: April 07, 2019, 08:27:25 AM
People seem more comfortable with it if you just say 'had a breakdown' or 'got severe depression' imho.
Some of the crazy stuff is too crazy to talk about without sounding crazy ourselves tbh.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:29:03 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

m
  • "You must do the thing you think you can not do."
#5: April 07, 2019, 02:13:01 PM
On average, the crisis lasted around two years and the most common age of onset was 47, according to Arroll, who conducted the study.

This is a good article, except for that.

Ummmm...an average length of TWO YEARS?!  I think not!

#6: April 07, 2019, 11:44:39 PM
Treasur - most of his friends and mine think he’s had a breakdown. Although buying a Porsche seems to gain a bit of a laugh and snigger from a lot of people.

Mego - I think two years is minimum. BD for me was January 6 2018 but it started about 14 months before that then he was depressed about a year before that too. Urghhhh
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
#7: April 08, 2019, 12:19:17 AM
I think there is still a little confusion between Midlife Transition and Midlife Crisis.  Transition inlcudes the rash spending, the new haircuts, the new toys etc... but rarely includes an OW (emotional or physical).  Crisis is more serious and longer lasting and usually includes the OW for a certain length of time and also usually includes leaving the home for a lengthy period of time if high energy.

The article is interesting and yes it's good it's being recognised but that's about it.  Being recognised that it happens is a start - people now need to grasp why it happens and how to treat FOO issues appropriately at the time and not 30 years later.

Agree with Mego and Treasur - the 2 year figure is the barest minimum for MLC (judging by this forum we are looking at least 3 yrs min replay alone)  - but 2 yrs maybe appropriate for MLT.
BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017.
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

s
#8: April 08, 2019, 01:28:41 AM
Interesting read 🙈

Hey how nice would it be if the crisis only lasted two years hey ha!

It’s funny cos that last bit I could have swore she was talking about H. Him down to a T
Me - 31
H - 37
3 children together D6 D9 D11 (D1 D4 and D6 at the time of BD)
Together - almost 8 years

BD & MLCer moved out - November 2017
OW discovered - December 2017
Moved in with Ow - November 2019
Ow met children - December 2019

#9: April 08, 2019, 01:59:05 AM
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD

#10: April 08, 2019, 02:33:10 AM
Thanks for sharing this great article. Sometimes, I feel extremly lonely and think I am the only one going through this kind of miserable journey seeing my once caring and loving husband slipping away everyday and becoming someone whom I don’t know anymore 😭

I was at my friend’s place having a chat during which time her husband called to let her know that he just landed in Beijing.  This kind of small act to me is a luxury these days.

I had a dinner with a friend of mine last week and she brought her husband along. Seeing them chatting and laughing casually, I wonder when I would have fun time with my husband again.

Life is so hard.
Together since 1989
Married in 2000
Daughter born in 2006
Husband stonewalling since April 2018
Husband moved out since April 2019

#11: April 08, 2019, 04:53:34 AM
Hey renqing I know how you feel. It’s not so much the husband leaving it’s more the damage to my little girl and that we have missed out on so much family time. He’s missed her growing up. Do you live in Asia?
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD

#12: April 08, 2019, 07:44:51 AM
I am living in China. Divorce rate is going up every year and mid aged men chasing after younger women becomes an epidemic phenomenon for in a shallow way it is an indication of success and manhood.
Together since 1989
Married in 2000
Daughter born in 2006
Husband stonewalling since April 2018
Husband moved out since April 2019

#13: April 08, 2019, 08:05:13 AM
Renqing - I used to live in Hong Kong. My favorite place but it’s just too expensive to live there.
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD

#14: April 08, 2019, 11:06:46 AM
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/how-to-pick-a-male-midlife-crisis-and-what-to-do-about-it-20190403-p51aet.html

Just realized I posted the wrong link in my first post.
The other link was also good! A lot of stuff that made me nod anyway 🙄
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
Together 15 years, M 8 @separation
No kids
BD1 - 26th Aug 2017 (Not happy, life has no purpose)
BD2 - 22nd March 2018 (Marriage is over, we want different things, confessed EA with someone 12,000 kms away although "she means nothing")
H moved in with parents 11th May 2018 (I asked him to leave as couldn't handle the EA rubbed all over my face)
H moved abroad 29th Dec 2018, not sure if OW will join him or if they are still in contact.
Confirmation H and OW are together, presume PA  - 3rd June 2019
H gets engaged with OW - Oct 2019
H "finally" asks for divorce - Aug 2020
H marries OW - March 2021.. We are not divorced!
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

"One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change"

#15: April 08, 2019, 10:34:03 PM
One day - the first article link is spot on for me. Everything.
Me- 47 at BD
MLC husband -45 at BD

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.