Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion Old Timer's Thread #6

S
  • Mentor
  • Strength and honour are her clothing;
Discussion Re: Old Timer's Thread #6
#10: March 11, 2021, 02:35:13 AM
So sorry to hear your news XY. 

In November I said goodbye to my beloved 12.5 yr old springer who I had adored since he was 8 weeks old.  He was my salvation, my rock, my companion when all the MLC mess happened.  He loved unconditionally and it broke my heart to say goodbye even though it was the right thing to do.

Even now I cry and grieve because the house has such a different energy without him. 

Be kind to yourself, cry as much as you want.  When you have had such friendship and love from a pet; it is very hard and we all think that we should recover quicker. 

What I found helpful was to buy a digital photoframe and over the following weeks I downloaded from my family all their pics of my boy and then spent time creating a slideshow to put into this digital frame.  Every night we still light a candle, we kiss his collar that sits on his beautiful willow box of ashes and sometimes the light from the photoframe is the only light in the room.

It has helped. 

I am thinking of you XY and sending you a massive hug across the pond.

BD march 2013
Stay at home MLCer
OW for 3.5 years - finishing Autumn 2016
Reconnection started 2017.
Separated 2022 (my choice because he wanted to live alone) and yet fully reconnected seeing each other often.

b
  • Mentor
Old Timer's Thread #6
#11: March 11, 2021, 06:19:31 AM
I am just heartbroken for you XY  and just so sorry to read about your doggie-friend Kaci.  I know you have been struggling and this loss will test you yet again...and for that , there just are no words.  The loss of a pet is yet again another monumental change during times that are far from normal and I just send you the warmest hug of care and understanding . I am so sorry.
Married April 1985
5 children
Bomb Drop April 2013
Thrown out of house August 2013
Affair discovered November 2013 (i guessed who)
Home December 3 2013
The Journey Of Reconciliation .. is for the brave .

Anger is like a candle in the wind ... it blows out the light of all reason.

• Mentor
Old Timer's Thread #6
#12: March 11, 2021, 06:31:01 AM
Even now I cry and grieve because the house has such a different energy without him.

This is a community of people who care deeply about one another, about our families and about our pets. Every message from each of you touches my heart and in a way, it is a really beautiful thing isn't it? Out of the ashes of broken dreams, comes these friendships...for indeed, you were one of the first people that I spoke to yesterday about my loss.....and I share in the loss of all your precious pets.

The house is very quiet. I am grateful that I have had my second vaccine, hoping that soon the border will be opened to Canada so I can go home.

I spoke to the man last night who took me to meet Kaci in her foster home 10 years ago. He said to me that he had done this many times, but that he had been struck by the bond that he saw happening before his eyes between Kaci and I, and the smile on my face. He said he knew that this bond was very special.

Your messages to me, the way you each personally know a bit of me and who I am and that comes through in your messages...hard for me to express right now what I feel but this is real....and your thoughts and telling me your stories about your pets, matters a great deal.

Thank you so much and God bless you and our families and our precious animals. xo

Song, I have had 3 labs and a cat. I am going to gather my favourite pictures of them and have an artist paint a picture of the 3 dogs playing together and the cat "supervising". Each one them was special and each were at various times of my life, that I can assoicate their being with where my life was at the time. Thank you for your suggestion as well.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:41:52 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

• Mentor
  • Back to being #1 for my daughters!!!!
Old Timer's Thread #6
#13: March 11, 2021, 08:05:36 AM
Hello,

Be kind to yourself, cry as much as you want.  When you have had such friendship and love from a pet; it is very hard and we all think that we should recover quicker.

Such a true statement and I know how much Kaci's presence in your life helped your recovery- a true friend every day.

Just know you are in my prayers.

Hugs and more hugs,

((((Ready))))
"Always look in the mirror and love what you see."

Old Timer's Thread #6
#14: March 11, 2021, 08:15:37 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, xyz, and so grateful that you and Kaci had each other bc it sounds like the support was mutual. Do be especially kind with yourself though bc it seems to me that new losses trigger echoes of our old Ines. Hugs.
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

A
  • Mentor
Old Timer's Thread #6
#15: March 11, 2021, 08:17:21 PM

Aww, xyz,,, so sorry to hear this.  We dread the day when it’s their time and no matter how old they are, it’s always too soon for them to go.  You are in my thoughts.

• Administrator
Re: Old Timer's Thread #6
#16: March 12, 2021, 05:32:53 AM
This morning, I said my final goodbye to my girl. The last 24 hours, she deteriorated and it was time but I did not want it to be time.

This gentle creature...who I loved. Who gave me so much love, a huge emptiness resides inside. This is going to be hard for time to come.
My condolences on Kaci - what a sweet animal.

I hope the weather improves and you can play some golf,
that will help.

• Mentor
Old Timer's Thread #6
#17: March 12, 2021, 10:21:52 AM
Thanks again to all of you. As has been imagined before, we need an island for all of us and our pets to share this incredible gift of caring.

Yes OP, after the massive storm we are supposed to get this weekend, golf will definitely help.
In a week, I will be protected from COVID since I have received both vaccinations. I will rejoin the mahjong group I stopped participating in. I shall have some friends who are also vaccinated over to my home. I shall garden and am starting online bridge lessons. I can allow myself the thought of walking off a plane and hugging my daughter and SIL.
I miss Kaci enormously but the grief is a gentle one. I have thought about this, the intensity of the grief I still feel about the destruction of my family, that is piercing grief. My dear Kaci never did anything to hurt me. The pain is vastly difference and I am glad that I am aware of that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 10:23:49 AM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
Old Timer's Thread #6
#18: March 12, 2021, 10:03:04 PM
Is Kaci your only pet XY?  I'm so sorry to hear about her loss.  Be gentle with yourself.

I'm glad that soon you will be able to have some more interaction.  I get my 2nd shot next Friday.  At some point I do want to come back over the mountains and get together with you and our other LBS friend again. 
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

• Mentor
Old Timer's Thread #6
#19: March 13, 2021, 07:11:33 AM
Yes, she was my only pet. I was cleaning her stuff to give away to a shelter and wanted to keep a few momentos and realized that I was keeping everything that I would need for a future dog......and although tempting, I need time. I want to be able to see my family (although I am not hopeful about the borders reopening based upon an article I read yesterday) and do some traveling. I found it hard to find someone to take care of her and never wanted to leave for more than a week....anyway, I can't replace her you know.

Yes, let us meet again! That would be wonderful!!!!!

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.