Moved home again March 2020
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

• Mentor
  • Time is a Gift! 🎁
Wish You Well
#91: December 23, 2023, 09:26:35 AM
I'm late to the party but grinning about this milestone passed.  I was also thinking about my first encounter with xh's new wife as well.  I was so glad to read that your first encounter went as it did! 
Survival Instructions for Newbies

The Apology Every LBS Deserves

My Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain."

"Don't become a container for bitterness.  It's a toxin that destroys what it's carried in."

E
Wish You Well
#92: December 26, 2023, 04:25:25 PM
I'm late to the party but grinning about this milestone passed.  I was also thinking about my first encounter with xh's new wife as well.  I was so glad to read that your first encounter went as it did!

Thank you FW. It was weird but I coped. And there’s been a second encounter now as well. On this Christmas Eve, where for the past few years myself and D22 have gone to eldest D’s house (with my mum and D25’s partner’s mum too) I told D25 it was ok if she wanted to invite her dad… etc ( ;)). It was a smaller gathering than her Bday but she did invite a few extra close family members too and M came with me of course. It was still weird but it was ok. As at D25’s BDay, xH made extra effort to engage M in conversation (this time it was me getting up to use the loo and xH taking my seat! Haha). My girls seem very happy with this new development (it makes things much easier for them).

I’ve had a very lovely and peaceful Christmas all round. I didn’t have any FOMO about not attending in-law-Xmas celebrations! That feels odd. I still feel like I’m ‘transitioning’ to a new life. But I feel like I’m on the ‘other side of the hump’ now. I really feel that if xH came to me and said ‘Omg! What did I do?! Let’s try again.’ I would genuinely be able to tell him ‘sorry, you took too long’. Of course that’s unlikely to happen. And there’s no guarantee I wouldn’t feel more torn than I think I would be. But now I’m hoping he really is content enough in his new life that he doesn’t attempt a return. I think. Yes, still a little split I think. But I think that wish is one originating from muscle memory because I hoped for it for so long and I still feel connected to xH. It’s fading all the time (the hope, but not the feeling of connection strangely). Which feels peaceful and sad and happy all at once. Bitter sweet!

Sending merry Christmas thoughts to all. For those still struggling, hang in there. It will get better. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

E
Wish You Well
#93: December 26, 2023, 04:32:34 PM
Oh oh and, funny… on Christmas day I posted a pic of Fred the woofer sitting under the Christmas tree to FB and wished all ‘our’ friends and family a happy Xmas and NY; and I tagged M. XH commented: ‘Merry Christmas pet-name-for-Ever and M, have a bloody great day xx’

It’s like I’m living in a new different bizarro land than the bizarro land I have been living in for the past 5 years! Soooo weird 🤣🤣🤣
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 04:33:50 PM by Evermore »
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

R
Wish You Well
#94: December 26, 2023, 11:05:47 PM
Evermore, I'm glad for your freedom in moving about and attending your family's events. You sound unfettered.

I also find the comments and overt attention from your xH to be strange. And a bit patronizing, for lack of a better word. I can't put my finger on what to call it.

You, however, sound great. Which is the most important thing.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 11:08:08 PM by Reinventing »

K
Wish You Well
#95: December 27, 2023, 08:33:40 AM
I also find the comments and overt attention from your xH to be strange. And a bit patronizing, for lack of a better word. I can't put my finger on what to call it.
Overcompensating?
Here, here!

E
Wish You Well
#96: December 27, 2023, 02:02:21 PM
Overcompensating?
Here, here!

Oh yes, overcompensating is the reason I’m sure. He has big guilt and this is his way of relieving that guilt for himself (‘see I was right, it did all work out for the best, she’s happy with someone else now and I will make sure everyone knows I am happy about that’). It’s also a genuine display of approval I’m sure. He is still a very nice man who loves me and wants to see me happy. I’ve always maintained that he just wanted a new life and hated having to hurt me to go get it. For right now things are working out ok. Let’s hope they continue to do so for both of us!
BD 9th Sep 2018

• Mentor
Wish You Well
#97: December 27, 2023, 02:17:46 PM
Just wanted to send a word to you...sorry, it's been really busy here. I am very happy to hear how your life is evolving. The time spent with your family is more comfortable than you had imagined and I think it is good for all.  :)

He is still a very nice man who loves me and wants to see me happy. I’ve always maintained that he just wanted a new life and hated having to hurt me to go get it. For right now things are working out ok. Let’s hope they continue to do so for both of us!

For many spouses, they do not hate us. Acceptance of their choice for a different life is a very healthy way to move forward in your own...yet still having feelings for him and caring about what happens to him......it's not always easy but as you and others have shown us, it can be done.

Enjoy the end of this year and a bright New Year ahead!
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

E
Wish You Well
#98: December 27, 2023, 04:42:30 PM
Thank you XY. Your well wishes are much appreciated. To be honest, it’s a bit unbelievable that I’m where I am currently.
I’m glad to read that you also had a great family time with more to come. Xx
BD 9th Sep 2018

• Mentor
Wish You Well
#99: December 27, 2023, 06:26:23 PM
I really appreciate your coming back to tell your story. There was a great deal of apprehension and "advice" given to you concerning seeing your xH but you followed your intuition about what would be the right thing for your daughters, your family and for him in many ways.

I do not think we can shut off the love we shared because they ended up having a crisis.

I am dismayed by so much advice given that the only way for healing to occur is to stop any contact with them, to look at everything they do as being "monster" towards us and the lack of empathy and understanding for what they are going through.

Thus was not the philosophy of HS, certainly not in RCR's articles. There was a emphasis on understanding the crisis and I know that helped me a great deal to accept what was happening.

I am thrilled to hear how vey happy you sound in your posts and wish you and M the very best.

Yes, our times together are quite comfortable, the family times are wonderful and I have no "fear" as I once had that seeing him would somehow "harm" me or prevent me from moving forward.

I do not see myself in another relationship. I am 69 years old, have lived alone for 14 years and of course have always believed that marriage is a life long permanent commitment to one another. Each of us are different, each of us come here with our own values, beliefs and understanding of ourselves, our marriages and what MLC is about.

I am happy that peace and joy are very much back in my life and that came without closing all doors to him, without shutting him out of my life. I could have done so, people told me I should..but that was not and never was in my heart.

Other posters here have written about spending time with their spouse over the holidays and have been pleasantly surprised that it was ok...better then they expected.

That of course is not possible for everyone. We don't really have control about what our spouses are doing, some have been violent and abusive but there are many others who I see as being "lost"....they don't seem to end up being terribly happy from my observations..unless of course they come to terms with what happened to them to change them in so many ways.

it’s a bit unbelievable that I’m where I am currently.

None of us know what is in store for us in the future. I hear peace in your posts, not anger, rage and bitterness that some carry with them for years which will not help ultimately in their growth and healing.

Again, my 2 cents worth

Have a wonderful New Year Ever!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 06:28:22 PM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.