Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Husband left right after my dads funeral..

S
My Story Husband left right after my dads funeral..
OP: July 12, 2023, 08:50:17 AM
Hello,
This website helped me so much, just reading all your stories! I feel so heartbroken by my husband and didn't know anyone experiencing similar things. That's why I had to look for something online
I am 39 and live in Germany (Hope my English is sufficient). I have been with my husband for 8 years and he wanted to marry me one and half years ago, so we did. He is 7 years younger than me. Our relationship was always loving and caring; we told each over how lucky we are to have found each other. Lots of hobbies together, the Corona lockdown was fine for us just being in our apartment, also still gr est intimacy, had friends, same goals, same values,…
Last year my father got sick (cancer), and I was really close to my dad. I was worrying all the time and my husband did help me a lot, while we still maintained our hobbies, date nights etc. March this year my father died. My husband told me he was my family and would always be by my side. A month later he went on a trip to his home county (we have been there together a few times) to travel and spend time with his family. One has to know that he is unhappy about what he studied at university and his job he did for the last 10 years, and we talked about what he could change a few times, also kind of unhappy with the city we live in so we talked about moving some day; I was always really supportive. I told him I earn enough money for him to go to university again etc. After he came back from his trip he started to behave weird sometimes, not always. Kind of withdrew from me, sometimes angry or condescending, which I never experienced ever with him. Didn't want to talk about it. Of course. I grew more and more worried. And then I discovered he was looking for jobs in foreign countries (his he country and others, too) without telling me. He got defensive and just after me being really inquisitive he mumbled that he still loves me and doesn't have any problems with the relationship, but that he questions his whole life, his choices and adjust wants to be free. No more explanations. And after that he just became a completely different person, cold, totally stonewalling. Didn't want to wear the wedding ring, often said „I don't know what I want. I couldn't stay in the apartment, it was just too painful, but because of my fathers death everything was just too much for me, so I got myself into psychiatric hospital where I still am (4 weeks after BD). I will be released next week. He just communicates in the most distant way and just every two weeks. It hurts me so much. All our friends and family are totally confused. He got the German citizenship just three years ago which was a hassle. He never wanted to move to any other country. Now suddenly he changed all his plans, also got a tattoo, dressed differently, looked for new hobbies suddenly and new music. I know he is quite young, but all signs say midlife crises. His best friends told me he thinks my husband has a depression and told him to seek help. He now tried to find a therapist, but this is really hard in this country and can take 3 months. He still hasn't decided if he really wants to go through with this total change or not, said he is worried to make the wrong choice and regret it later, no matter what he chooses, but he leans towards going abroad and ending the marriage.
I am still in Shock. After caring for my dad and experiencing horrible grief because of his death my husband was the only one left I really trusted to be there (I have no siblings or other family, just my mother who is 81). I know I have to detach and accept and try to move on with my life, possibly moving to another city in my fathers house. Even if my friends think I am crazy I still have hope that he might change his mind, but iota's just a really small hope and iota's hurting me to think about him being so seemingly uninterested with me being at the hospital and everything. It is like he is a completely new and unknown person.
Thank you for reading, I appreciate the place to ventilate my story.. it feels good to know I am not the only one going through this experience.

t
Husband left right after my dads funeral..
#1: July 12, 2023, 11:00:53 AM
Hey Singstein!

Welcome to the club nobody ever wanted an invitation to.. *hug* This site and the people on here will help you tremendously! You’ve got a lot on your plate with all the things you’ve been dealing with and I just wanted to say that I’m glad you got the help you needed. How are you at the moment?

He’s quite young for MLC. My xH was 33 at BD and I had a few coaching sessions with Kendra-Ruth in which she stated it was probably an identity diffusion instead of MLC. But I got to say that my xH is following the MLC playbook quite nicely so all the information and advice given is still totally helpfull!
Together for 15 years, married for 4 years
H: 33, me: 33, D: 1,5
BD: april '22 (EA + 'I want to live alone, have no responsibilities')
Left home: june '22
Divorce final: october '22

“They didn’t cheat because of who you are. They chose to cheat because of who they’re not.” ~ Charles J. Orlando

S
#2: July 12, 2023, 11:12:16 AM
Thank you <3
Yes, might be something else like a normal life crisis etc, but till now it seems he hits most MLC points pretty well… especially the totally turned around behavior. He was such a caring, loving man since day 1 and now suddenly it’s like someone took his place.. it’s so hard to deal with this new reality.

t
#3: July 12, 2023, 11:43:09 AM
Thank you <3
Yes, might be something else like a normal life crisis etc, but till now it seems he hits most MLC points pretty well… especially the totally turned around behavior. He was such a caring, loving man since day 1 and now suddenly it’s like someone took his place.. it’s so hard to deal with this new reality.
I recognize this 100%! It’s truely bizare they change completely.
Together for 15 years, married for 4 years
H: 33, me: 33, D: 1,5
BD: april '22 (EA + 'I want to live alone, have no responsibilities')
Left home: june '22
Divorce final: october '22

“They didn’t cheat because of who you are. They chose to cheat because of who they’re not.” ~ Charles J. Orlando

M
#4: July 12, 2023, 01:41:25 PM
Hello! I’m so sorry you find yourself here, but it is a great source of information and support. Whether your husband is in a transition, full blown crisis or just  depression in general, you can still use the basic information you will find here to help get you through . First and foremost. You can’t love someone out of a crisis or depression. You can show compassion and support, but you are your number one person to support.

I hope when you are released you will continue some therapy to help you clear your head and share the thoughts that will consume you. When a partner changes for whatever reason to no longer resemble who we know or recognize it is devastating and a trauma in our lives. Read, read, read. The more you understand and see similarities you will come to understand that it was not you, but that also doesn’t mean we all can’t look at our own lives and actions and see where we can grow.

When things happen and you feel lost come back and journal and share here and you will find advise and support based on out individual experiences. Use what works and dispose what doesn’t . Each story is unique and individual no matter how many similarities there are.
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

• MLCer Type: Vanisher
Re: Husband left right after my dads funeral..
#5: July 12, 2023, 06:09:07 PM
You are precious and I´m so glad that you knew you needed professional help to deal with the BD blow. As you return to a life outside the hospital please focus your energy on you. The pain is going to be there for a good long while so best to work on your own mental and physical health. If love could cure what ails him, you would have already solved it. He may figure it out, he may not, but the world needs people like you so do whatever it takes to craft a "new normal." Yes, you will have to rely on your support web that does not include him and you may have to move. Do what´s best for you. If he decides that he´s made a huge mistake, he can find you.
me 51
H 51
M 27
BD 1/15/ 10 then BD 8/21/10
D final 8/13

#6: July 13, 2023, 12:30:11 AM
First of all, Singstein, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear father. You are not alone in experiencing a profound loss just a short time before BD. I also had a dear father, to cancer, who I had buried a couple of months before BD and also have no siblings. Others here were also bereaved or experiencing serious illnesses. It is part of the shock I think to receive such a huge rejection from the person you most trusted when you are already vulnerable.

So I want you to recognise that your natural system is affected by both….the normal grief of losing a loved parent and then the more complicated grief and confusion when a spouse becomes almost unrecognisable. I hope that your stay in hospital has given you a short breathing space and, as others say, please remember that navigating multiple losses is not a quick fix so you need to take the best care you can of your own physical and emotional health. And focus on the basics….sleep, food, fresh air, baby steps. Are you seeing a therapist as part of your ongoing support system?

That includes making big decisions about where and how you live and work and involve yourself in the rest of life. Where is your h living currently? Does your work allow you to support yourself financially? Do you jointly own your current apartment? Do you like living in the city where you live now? Do you have good friends who can support you where you live now?

As a general rule after a big loss, better to go slowly and steadily in making other big changes that are irreversible imho….having said that, please understand that grief upends us all for a while and it can feel like going a bit nuts….it did for me…..and that sometimes, surprisingly, building a different life after loss can help one see that a lot of things are less fixed or important than they seemed before. One has to trust one’s own instincts, I think, and be very very kind to yourself. A decent therapist can give you a safe space to think aloud before you act though and that can be a really useful life jacket. It’s a normal reaction to grief - bc it activates our fight/flight/freeze system - to find it hard to make decisions, or to long for a place to run away to, or to not want to change a thing. However that comes out in you, I would like you to accept that your ‘bandwidth’ is reduced right now….that this is normal after a big bereavement even without all the stuff to do with your spouse….and that it takes time to navigate that. And of course, as I recall all too well, death comes with a lot of admin and decisions, big and small, doesn’t it, which are exhausting too?

I will come back and respond to the MLC/spouse stuff separately.
This post is more about you.
But I want you to know two things, spoken from my own experience.
You are not alone and you are not crazy bc a lot of us here have walked in the awful shoes you are walking in right now.
You are not permanently broken and you will not always feel exactly how you feel today even if it seems as if you will. There is a life worth having on the other side of this even if you don’t quite believe it and can’t see it yet. Your task at the moment is to survive and navigate this stage for long enough and with enough care for yourself until you get there. And you will. I didn’t believe I would but I was wrong. But sometimes when you lose your own faith and hope and energy, you need to borrow some - you can borrow mine and others here. It kind of takes a village imho to swim through s$it and shark-filled waters when you are out of steam and have no idea of the direction to swim in  :)

T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

#7: July 13, 2023, 03:21:38 AM
I posted about you separately bc I want to encourage you strongly to separate where you are individually from the MLC bit. When I was where you were, trying to deal with both as a whole picture was so overwhelming to me that I developed PTSD which ate years of my life. I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I did. PTSD was harder and took longer to heal from than bereavement or BD/MLC; I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, so I want to encourage you to be realistic about just how much is on your plate and your natural limits.

Ok, now the MLC bit.

I have become more convinced as I get older (and hopefully wiser  :) ) that if something looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a sane working hypothesis that it is a duck, no matter how inconceivable that seems at the time, until or unless it starts to look like something else.
The M in MLC imho can be misleading imho. And there are plenty of stories here of spouses having an MLC like LC anywhere from their 30s to their 60s. Perhaps all that is different is the point at which enough steam builds up under their lids, or the effect of external events, that they reach an unravelling point.

There are some commonalities imho. These folks seem to lack a ‘core’ in some way. And perhaps this makes them a bit chameleon like….they become who they think they need to seem rather than knowing who they are. Many of them have reasons going back to early childhood for why they do this, long before they ever met you. They tend to be conflict avoidant and more given to dependence on their spouse either emotionally or practically. Or both. In a real sense, they are somehow not quite grown up. And most seem to experience some level of depression both pre-BD and at BD. Again jmo, but I see MLC as depression with go faster stripes that creates an identity crisis where the standard MLC behaviours are their attempt to fix how they feel.

When the lid blows off, you are changed in their mind from the ultimate solution to their needs into the ultimate cause of their unhappiness, the barrier if you like to feeling better. This is no more true than you being the solution to their ills or their saviour; most LBS struggle with that for a while. You will come to realise that overall YOU have not changed….your MLC spouse is simply now looking at you through a completely different shaped window.  It takes a little bit of distance too to take off our own ‘rose tinted glasses’ and see the wider picture of who they were even while we were very happy with them and them seemingly with us. There are some commonalities too in how these folks tend to react once their own internal lid blows off. And these are the MLC type behaviours you read about here. They tend to run away, either physically or emotionally. They tend to try to find external things to distract them or make them feel better - a new job, a new place, new friends, new lifestyle and/or an ow/om ( and I’m sorry but the chances are high that there will turn out to be an Ow of some sort in the mix, perhaps one in the country they visited before BD in your case). And bc they are not very ‘grown up’, like teenagers they run in emotions cranked up to 11/10….rage, self pity or entitlement - as well as changing their minds from one week to the next. They are extraordinarily self-centred, like a teenager, and they lie a lot to either get what they want or avoid what they don’t want. They may say they have a plan but tbh usually it becomes obvious that they really don’t. It’s more like throwing spaghetti against a wall to see what sticks  :)

And none of this is caused by you, about you or can be fixed by you.

I have some young teenage acquaintances that I really like, but I wouldn’t want to put them in charge of my life or wellbeing.  :) And imho, as an LBS, that’s exactly what the rollercoaster is like. It is very early days for you, my friend, but imho the way forward for all LBS is to reach a point when you choose to take your life keys back from a metaphorical teenager. Particularly about big important stuff and things that affect your own mental and physical wellbeing.

What do I mean by that? I think there is a time when all of us LBS are trying to work out what’s happening and what they are going to do next in order to try to come up with some sort of plan about what we should do. Practically speaking, that’s understandable and normal when you share your life with another human, isn’t it? Sometimes our plan is about trying to save our marriage, sometimes it is even about trying to save them. It is almost always a bit like running around trying to put the fires out while our spouse plays with matches ignoring our pleas, particularly early on. What changes - and it takes us all longer than we might wish with hindsight - is that we change our lens from a We to a Me. We accept that, for reasons that make no sense to us, they are going to keep setting new fires and so we need to find (or make) a safe place for ourselves where they can’t burn down anything else that matters to us. And that includes accepting that we have no control over what they do with their matches and that it is an impossible job (and not our responsibility) to save them from the consequences of their own fires. Every single one of us here knows deep in our bones how very hard and confusing it is to do that. And every single one of us has had to learn our own best way to do it, usually through trial and error.

But the first step is to take the keys back from the teenager. :)

The only other alternative, if you don’t, is to hand your life and future over to a teenager who does not currently care much what happens to you. That rarely works out well for we LBS. And bizarrely it doesn’t even seem to do much good for the MLC spouse either.

So, I am more sorry than I can say that this is happening in your life. Even more so bc you are so vulnerable after the loss of your father which wasn’t your choice either.
But it IS happening. And it is not going to magically or quickly go away.
So I would encourage you to keep trying to find a way to accept the reality of the quacking duck in front of your nose right now and act accordingly. By all means, hope for a future better….but plan and act assuming the worst case scenarios.
Go slow and steady.
Look at how much of the fabric of your current life is based on a We and how much is not. Start thinking how you can turn the We bits into Me bits. Work out what makes you feel safer and calmer and stronger….do more of that, whatever it is, and less of anything that makes you feel confused, distressed or afraid. Take legal or financial advice even if you are not ready to act on it yet bc information can help you think about the We/Me bits. Aim for the 80/20 rule - which probably feels impossible right now, right? - where 80% of your mental energy and time is focused on the Me stuff. And don’t be afraid that if you focus on Me you are shutting down all hope of a future possible We….that is an unknown yet, but, as you will see from stories here, focusing on the Me stuff is a win-win. If there is no reconciliation, you will need a good safe Me. If there is reconciliation, it is not an easy path and needs a good safe Me anyway.

I hope that your day today has done pockets of calm and kindness in it. Those pockets can feel tiny, I know, but they are like small bricks that we can use to build a future foundation so they are not nothing. X
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 03:23:13 AM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

W

WHY

#8: July 13, 2023, 06:46:39 AM
Treasur this is a great explanation.  Genuinely.  Thank you for this. 

M
#9: July 13, 2023, 07:16:09 AM
Treasur- that should be added to the newbies basic info. So well thought out and written and absolutely accurate for everyone
There is almost something harder about someone being alive and having to lose what you believed to be true of them than someone actually dying.

Indefatigability - determined to do or achieve something; firmness of purpose
perspicacity- a clarity of vision or intellect which provides a deep understanding and insight

Married July 1991
Jan 2018 BD1 moved out I filed for Div/ H stopped it
Oct 2018 moved back
Oct 2020 BD2
Feb 2021 Div-29 1/2 years
July 2021 Married OW
Feb 2022  XH fired
May 2023 went NC after telling XH we could not be friends
Aug 2023 XH moves w/o OWife

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.