Skip to main content

Author Topic: Discussion The LBS's MLC/MLT/BLT = Are we immune?

Discussion The LBS's MLC/MLT/BLT = Are we immune?
OP: August 21, 2019, 09:10:03 PM
Just curious..... is the LBS immune to having a transition like our spouses?

I know about reading a few cases about the LBS being pushed into crisis, but these seem very rare. More often the LBS goes into non-crisis transition and the MLC'er flips out and breaks (I'm talking about the rare LBS transition cases).

This process is a mind-job to say the least... I was even questioning in those early months "Did I have an MLT???? Did I kick all this off??"...... In the end I've come to the conclusion, no I didn't have an MLT. I was a workaholic and that's it...... AND my W had entered her stealth emotional cutoff (and I didn't know) for those 4 years leading up to BD. All that together made life very confusing and difficult to understand the last few years.

So...... Do we (the LBS's) go into transition ourselves, or does the emotional shock of BD "cure" us of our ills by making us face our problems and shortcomings all on it's own? It is called the "awakening" after all.
I guess a follow-on question to that is: Do you fear getting pushed into crisis by the MLC'ers crisis? They say that we attract one another based on our brokenness, that would imply we are both at equal risk for an MLC....... I know when I talked to my SIL, she was deathly afraid that it could happen to her after seeing her mom and now sister fall to it (and her H too).
For me, I'm a little concerned at times. There has been days where there's a mental pressure on my brain and I'm like "Nope, you're not going to get me"..... that and the idea that I'm too strong for that to happen to me...... but weren't all our spouses "strong"? I thought my W was bulletproof. She had a past, sure.... but she wasn't some weakling, she was tough and smart.
I know lots of people (LBS's) have mental breakdowns, but these aren't MLC they are mental/nervous breakdowns.

Are we immune?

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019
Start of Shadow - Feb 2012

• Mentor
Re: The LBS's MLC/MLT/BLT = Are we immune?
#1: August 21, 2019, 09:59:23 PM
Immune from what, I guess I'd ask. I've seen some LBS's that if not in a full blown MLC after BD, came darned close. I see some that STILL look like they are having their own MLC. JMO, though. I don't think anyone is immune, but we may or may not be prone to whatever sends people into mlc/mlt (and I'll have my BLT with mustard on wheat, please. Extra L.). Some people handle stress better than others. Some are more or less emotional than others. Some have anxiety they cannot handle well. Some see the glass as full even when it is empty. Some have anger issues. Whatever our personality makeup, there is also the physiological side of our makeup. Each person's package helps to determine what they will do with the situation they face. It seems to me that there is no immunity to that, but there is the choice to help yourself (whether with friends, therapy, exercise, etc) if you can do so.

I have no concept of what it would be like to abandon my family. I can't imagine walking away without trying. If some kind of whatever was set off in my body that would allow me to do such a thing, how could I stop it if it just happened and I didn't know it happened?

You say you were a workaholic. Were you always a workaholic, or did you become one because your wife was in stealth emotional cutoff and your were coping as best you could because you could feel on some level something was off, but you didn't know what? I know I knew something was off with my H, but he kept denying it. I also know I started behaving differently because I didn't understand what was going on. I felt like something was off, but he kept insisting he was fine (lying/gaslighting). Was I having an MLT because I wasn't behaving like myself? Or was I simply putting forth the best defense I had against a false situation? Is it still an MLT if you were heading for the transition as a matter of course due to the time in your life (children leaving the nest, getting older, wanting to do things that you could not with small children, etc).

No one is bulletproof, imo. Some of us carry frying pans to deflect the bullets, though.
When life gives you lemons, make SALSA!

W
#2: August 21, 2019, 11:13:40 PM
I dont think anybody is immune, most People who are in crisis seem to have FOO issues but im sure that People without FOO issues can go into crisis too.
I dont think that im having some Kind of MLC or MLT, I have taken up new Hobbys and I travel more, attend more concerts than I used to but that is just what I (and XW) had been planning to do for years when the Kids are grown up. She jumped ship but my plans stayed in takt and im carrying them out without her. Its that simple really.

I think that it is quite normal for People in ML to start "living" again when the Kids reach a certain age. Why shouldnt they? I certainly didnt do much for Whyus as the Kids were growing up, I was for the Kids 100% and so was XW. Sure we had Hobbies, we played in a band together and also were an "unplugged" duo in the Pub Scene. I played Guitar and she sang which she did REALLY WELL!
Sometimes I miss the "on stage" Version of XW if im honest, she really was a star but I dont think that we will be sharing a stage again somehow  ;D
Married - 19,5 Years pre BD
Together - 21,5 Years
Me: 46
W: 46 (Acts 25)
BD 1: 10.01.2017
BD 2: 24.02.2017 OM 28 (now 31) Trainings partner. Is tolerated by LaFamiglia
2 Sons - 20 & 21
1 Dogs and a cat.
Own home . Sold!
Divorce Date 21.08.2018
T1  http://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=8671.0

#3: August 21, 2019, 11:34:02 PM
I have certainly experienced my own 'crisis' in reaction to events - depression, PTSD - that I had never experienced before in my life. But it had none of the markers of MLC imho and I wouldn't describe it as such. Didn't have FOO issues, none of the rage and if anything more empathy than i started with lol. I think most LBS do suffer some level of situational 'crisis' bc tbh your life gets upended without your choice doesn't it?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:38:18 PM by Treasur »
T: 18  M: 12 (at BD) No kids.
H diagnosed with severe depression Oct 15. BD May 16. OW since April 16, maybe earlier. Silent vanisher mostly.
Divorced April 18. XH married ow 6 weeks later.

"Option A is not available so I need to kick the s**t out of Option B" Sheryl Sandberg

#4: August 22, 2019, 01:45:24 AM
I don't feel any of us are immune. Maybe some of us are better equipped to deal with life's challenges (dysfunctional FOO anyone, LOL).   I never believed I could have mental crashdown. But after BD I did crash and burn.

Those reading my story know I've been pondering whether or not I've had my MLC or MLT before all this. Because the stories W says I have done in past decade contain pieces the current me simply doesn't understand.  I don't think it would be MLC as I remember loving her (and I actually have got some proof of that), I did not have the need to run away from her.  It is way more likely that I was a) emotionally immature,  b) selfish/stupid,  c) and operating under some medical condition (see my today's journal on serotonine syndrome https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php?topic=11031.msg738910#msg738910).  There is no simple answer or bloodtest to say what causes us to behave the way we do; we just have to accept past as past; and focus on building better present and future.

But I think I'm definitely going through MLT of some sorts, as a consequence / follow up of her crisis...  For the first time in my life I'm conciously spending a lot of time thinking what I am, what I want to become, what I will be remembered.  That is me looking at the mirror and doing my mirror work... Last night I gave up on the expectation of one more child.  That if anything is concrete reminder that I'm middle-aged. No more kids (at least with W as the physical clock is ticking for her).. At the same vein I no longer feel older than I truly am (I used to be  one of those guys with one foot on the grave).  I don't either feel or desire to be any younger than I am.   I feel perfectly fine being as old as I am. Maybe partially this links up to all this excercice, and becoming fitter and more healthy, living a more healthy life, than ever before.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:50:08 AM by AlvinTheMaker »
At time of BD.... Me: 43, XW: 41
Kids: G19,G18,G14,G12,S5
Together - 20½ Years, Married 19 Years

BD ("I don't love you"): Feb 2019, 
BD2 ("I don't want to fix this marriage."), Mar 2020
D filed May 2020, D finalized Dec 2020
I have moved on, and am in new relationship.

Lessons from Stoicism and REBT helped me to exit the chaos zone and become a better person. 

"Happiness and freedom begin with a clear understanding of one principle: Some things are within our control, and some things are not. - Epictetus"

• Mentor
#5: August 22, 2019, 05:53:27 AM
No we are not immune. I recognize going probably trough some kind of MLT myself and believe that every person does one way or another.
MLC is totally different case though, even MLT is core of it too.

"I've seen dreams that move the mountains, hope that doesn't ever end even when the sky is falling. I've seen miracles just happen, silent prayers get answered, broken hearts become brand new. That's what faith can do." Kutless

H
#6: August 22, 2019, 06:18:05 AM
I agree with Silver.
I think I went off the tracks for about a year after BD. Then I said this is not me. I have kids to raise.

D
#7: August 22, 2019, 07:23:09 AM
In hindsight, I think I had an MLT or something before STBXW went off the rails.

It was certainly contributing to general unhappiness in our marriage.  I was depressed about something, and spent my time buried in the Playstation, or fighting about politics with people on FB and Twitter.  Those people included her and members of her family.  I was just itching for an argument all the time.  Years of very little intimacy, I believe, brought me to that point, but we both had issues with communication and were conflict avoidant.

Oddly, we say that hitting rock bottom will often times pull people out of MLC.  Well, hearing she wanted a D and finding out about OM tore me right out of depression.  Of course, it put me into an entirely different state, but that general malaise was gone...
M=51
W=47
D=8
BD Feb 17 Thinking of divorce
Atomic BD June 17 Spying revealed OM at work
Still home.  Threatened to leave several times and has asked me to leave about a dozen. 
Says divorce proceedings will start Jan 18.
She has scheduled mediation Feb 7,  2018
I moved out March 16, 2018
Several mediations, mostly instigated by me.  Foot dragging by STBXW.  Nothing filed. Yet.
5/2019 STBXW filed D behind my back despite signed agreement to mediate.
I retain attorney.
STBXW still hasn't told me and no further action.
Elephant in the room has been addressed.  No further action atm.  Weighing my options.
12/16/19  She files financial paperwork.  Divorce proceeding.

m
  • "You must do the thing you think you can not do."
#8: August 22, 2019, 07:38:03 AM
Well MLC has been described as "male menopause."  I'd have to agree with this assessment!

Because speaking as someone going through it, I do see many similarities.  Only major difference is I don't believe menopausal women Monster (that was PMS) - and our eyes don't turn black!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:39:50 AM by megogirl »

#9: August 22, 2019, 07:48:08 AM
It sounds like (from the responses) that we are able to "see" our own MLT once the MLC'er goes off the rails and are able to deal with it much better than otherwise.

Maybe that's not immunity, but it's a lot better than being clueless.  :P

I do find myself looking at other people's problems and checking it against what I know about MLC by default now (LOL).

-SS

W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019

F
#10: August 22, 2019, 07:51:18 AM
It was my understanding that much like the teenage years, we all go through a form of MLT at some point.  It only becomes a crises if we do not deal with our baggage, and who knows what else causes it.  I personally think you are right, we as LBS are forced to deal with our baggage and so long as we do, I would think it would keep many from an MLC.  Then again, if we cannot handle it(the MLC), it probably pushes some in to their own MLC.

I remember the day that I consciously decided I had to chose my kids.  That my h was not worth me having a mental breakdown.  I slowly dug my way out of the darkness because I knew my kids needed me.  I’m not sure how dark it would have gotten for me if I did not have young kids to draw me out.
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

#11: August 22, 2019, 08:03:02 AM
It was my understanding that much like the teenage years, we all go through a form of MLT at some point.  It only becomes a crises if we do not deal with our baggage, and who knows what else causes it.  I personally think you are right, we as LBS are forced to deal with our baggage and so long as we do, I would think it would keep many from an MLC.  Then again, if we cannot handle it(the MLC), it probably pushes some in to their own MLC.

I remember the day that I consciously decided I had to chose my kids.  That my h was not worth me having a mental breakdown.  I slowly dug my way out of the darkness because I knew my kids needed me.  I’m not sure how dark it would have gotten for me if I did not have young kids to draw me out.

That's super awesome!!! A (real) mom does anything for her kids..... don't mess with momma bear.
The H in me made me pick myself up and start dealing me me as I want to fight.... in this fight the only thing which can be done is to be the lighthouse, and if my light goes out it's all over. In that analogy, if we get hit my MLT, I think our light dims while we repair everything.... and as we change our light grows brighter. Do they see it and come home? That's up to them. I bet the bright light attracts other travelers as well....... my neon sign says "No vacancy" in bright letters.  :P

-SS
W - 43
M - 46
Together 28 years, M 25
No kids
BD - 27th April 2019

F
#12: August 22, 2019, 08:47:37 AM
SS,  haha!  Good point!!! 
Married 23 years
Husband is 46
Me-42
4 kids 9-18 years old
BD-October 2018-ILYBNIL, wants a divorce, 2 OW at different times.
April 2019 He got an apartment and moved out.
Oct 2019-Apologized for a years worth of monster behavior.  Still wants to start divorce this Spring, is distant, but friendly.  Tries more with kids, but superficial.
2020-He has continued to help out when asked and be polite.  I do think he questions his choices at times.  I do not believe he has OW.
Oct 2020-He wants to get back together.  I am unsure. 
August 2021-.  He has shown very gradual, but consistent progress.  He moved back home.
December 2022-He has been home for 1 1/2 years reconnecting, in the room with me for several months. I now consider us reconciled.
October 2023-After two years home and being the man he should be, I finally fully let him back into my heart.

#13: August 22, 2019, 04:11:16 PM
I actually think I was having an MLT or something along those lines a few months before BD1, I certainly was going through "something". I turned 40 and it affected me more than I thought it would.. I started wondering if "Is this all there is to life?" I was very unhappy in work, I struggled to get out of bed every morning. I hated corporate life and I wanted a change. I fantasized about a different life, moving to a hot country and having a simpler life.. I never thought about abandoning H but to this day I don't know how he fitted in this dream I was building in my head..  H was traveling quite a bit for work and I found myself very lonely, I became very negative, couldn't see anything good about my life.

6 months later...  BD! I guess that gave me something else to worry about because even though H didn't leave immediately and we were still a "couple", things were very different and I lived in fear he would run away. Nothing better to make you appreciate your life when it's all hanging from a thread, right? And then he eventually ran and my world came crashing down and I think I got into a different type of crisis..

So was I going through MLT before BD or was that the beginning of my own MLC? I don't know.. I think overall I have much better coping skills and emotional intelligence than H ever did so I want to believe I would have never gotten to a full crisis. His MLC has certainly made me look inside and discover a lot of things about myself and my marriage.. The interesting thing is that I'm still in the corporate world and I'm actually enjoying it. The negativity is gone because now I truly appreciate what I have. And even more interesting is the fact that I actually have a good opportunity to move to a hot country with a good job and I'm not even considering it.. Because I understand that what I had in my head before was a fantasy and real life doesn't work like that.. Maybe I would enjoy the weather more but the price would be to leave my friends, my house and the life I have built for 20 years in this country behind.. It's a very high price to pay for a fantasy, isn't it? Unfortunately the MLCers don't think that way.  :-[
H - 46 (40 @BD1)
M - 46 (40 @BD1)
Together 15 years, M 8 @separation
No kids
BD1 - 26th Aug 2017 (Not happy, life has no purpose)
BD2 - 22nd March 2018 (Marriage is over, we want different things, confessed EA with someone 12,000 kms away although "she means nothing")
H moved in with parents 11th May 2018 (I asked him to leave as couldn't handle the EA rubbed all over my face)
H moved abroad 29th Dec 2018, not sure if OW will join him or if they are still in contact.
Confirmation H and OW are together, presume PA  - 3rd June 2019
H gets engaged with OW - Oct 2019
H "finally" asks for divorce - Aug 2020
H marries OW - March 2021.. We are not divorced!
Divorced - Dec 7th 2022

"One of the happiest moments in life is when you find the courage to let go of what you can’t change"

#14: August 22, 2019, 04:20:02 PM
Everyone goes through midlife transition. Not everyone goes through midlife crisis.

We are not immune. Several LBS have had their MLC, I'm one of them. It is not uncommon.
Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. (Marilyn Monroe)

#15: August 26, 2019, 12:16:41 PM
I had a mild MLT for about 2 years before BD. I had actually been coming out of it a few months before BD hit. It never got to crisis level with me, I'm thankful for that. I don't envy what Grumpy is going through regardless of what's been done.
Me 40; H 44
Married 14 years
No kids, no pets

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.