Skip to main content

Author Topic: My Story Wish You Well

E
My Story Wish You Well
#60: October 09, 2023, 06:29:16 PM
Thank you all for the love and hugs. It was a peaceful goodbye and it's been easier to deal with than I thought it might be.

xH met us (me and D22) there at midday but the vets were a bit behind and not quite ready so we spent a lovely half hour sitting in the grass together in the next door paddock in the sun while Boo wandered around. As it always seems these days it is not hard to see him, just weird because it DOESN'T feel weird.

When we finally went in they had the room set up with a nice soft blanket and Boo got cake and cream cheese and a chocolate (TimTam!) biccy (all of which she scoffed down). We were all there patting her as she drifted off to sleep and both xH and I cried soft tears (not D22, she rarely cries (have I shared the 'axe-murderer' story before, lol). After we said goodbye in the carpark and I got the standard bit-weird sideways-on hug. It all still feels weird like I'll just see him at home in a bit, like the last 5 years hasn't happened. It's a very very odd feeling.

I cried on the way home and felt 'back' a bit to feeling all the 'I miss him' feelings. Since Wed when I made the decision to say goodbye to Bella I've been feeling like that again and have... not forgotten M, but he's not been so much in the front of my mind. Not surprising really I guess. I did wonder if that would persist after I saw xH. Thought it would be likely that I'd bounce back pretty quick, and I have. I feel pretty much back to how I was at the start of last week (the 'missing him' feeling is still there but not quite so much at the front of my brain, and instead I think mostly about M). The mind is such a funny thing. I guess I've helped it along by trying to consciously shift my focus.

A update re my mare Charm: she's starting to 'bag up' (develop an udder) so it won't be too long now. Hope she's cooking me a cracker foal! Also, my other mare Emmy, who has been loaned out for the past few years to a lovely family who lived an hour or so away from me, is now living with another lady much closer to me. I'm going to visit her tonight.
M: 53 (48 @ BD), H: 55 (51 @ BD); Married 20yrs, together 23yrs
D: 24 (19 @ BD), D: 22 (17 @ BD), 'Extra D': 22 (17 @ BD)
BD (that I didn't recognise as such) Easter 2018
BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 22: Movement... (likely T&G? Time will tell I guess)
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

t
Wish You Well
#61: October 18, 2023, 11:28:29 AM
Just checking in with you Evermore.

And also wanting to see how your mare Charm is doing. Does she have a little one at her side yet?
BD Feb 2014
DONE

E
Wish You Well
#62: October 18, 2023, 03:58:02 PM
Thank you TMT for checking in. I am very well! Had a most awesome weekend away with M and his friends up the river last weekend. And last night we spent the night in a swanky hotel (M manages 10 hotels and this is one of them). I am feeling very grateful at the moment that everything is going so well and that I have stumbled across such a well-suited-to-me person. I see a bright future right now.

Re Charmy... she's still holding onto the goods! Not 'really' due just yet though. But as there's a 4 weeks window for mares she's now due 'any day'. Fingers are still crossed for a patchy chestnut filly or colt (and if it's black, or possibly bay, hopefully it's a filly!). Thanks again for checking in. How are your neddies going (has the one that had choke/colic recovered?)?

BD 9th Sep 2018
OW - he (supposedly) met her in the pub a week before BD, told me about her a week after BD. Thinks 'their planets have collided' because 'their eyes met across the room' and they had an 'instant connection'. Lives with her. Is building a life with her.
Jun 20: H plans to buy a block of land and build a house with her (never happens).
May 23: Yep, definitely a T&G last year. Still have contact but very minimal. He is a long way away from me these days. He doesn't seem particularly happy in his new life... but he's still there soooo....

E
Wish You Well
#63: November 10, 2023, 10:54:07 PM
Updating: we have a foal! Beautiful TALL chestnut tobiano colt (with the most beautiful markings).  I’ve called him T.. (stud prefix) Wish You Well (Whiskey). Very very happy with him. Can’t wait to watch him grow. He’s a week old and ZOOMING around. Only hard bit is my friend (where I agist him) blindsided me last Monday and told me I’d have to move them ASAP. Far from ideal but she’s had a few ponies come home and needs the room. I’m doing that tomorrow. Wish me luck getting a week old foal on a float!

In other news, it was xHs BDay on 9th. Both Ds and B & SIL2 went out to dinner with him and OW. M was supposed to come stay at mine that night but it didn’t work out as he had to work early the next morning (and he lives and works a long way from my house). The reason I’m documenting this is because, for the first time in 5 years, I really didn’t care at all that I was home by myself. No FOMO and in fact I was actually GLAD to have a quiet night by myself. It felt really weird to genuinely feel that way. It really does just take time and loads of it until we heal. When I think about xH these days (which I try not to do) it’s a bit foggy/fuzzy (on purpose). It feels a bit like when you look at those funny 3D pictures and you make your eyes soften and go fuzzy. I do that now automatically. It’s a peaceful ‘softened’ feeling.

Even when I hear from him it doesn’t faze me now. I sent a HBDay text and also on FB and he replied to both ‘Thanks pet-name-for-Ever’. Then this am when I was having my first cuppa for the day (and M was snoozing next to me) he messaged to say he’d put $ into joint account to contribute to cost of Bella memorial (our doggo we PTS recently) and that he’d put some more in next week. Was very impressed and thankful. But not impacted.

I hope you’re all well. I continue to follow most stories here and cheer everyone on even when I don’t comment.
BD 9th Sep 2018

t
Wish You Well
#64: November 22, 2023, 08:58:19 AM
Well, Evermore, you are just chugging along like the little engine that could.  So wonderful to read your update.  And so exciting about your foal.  He sounds just gorgeous. 

Keep on keeping on!!!  Happy Thanksgiving. 
BD Feb 2014
DONE

E
Wish You Well
#65: November 23, 2023, 06:25:35 PM
Thank you TMT, I do indeed feel like I am chugging along well. There aren't as many blips as there used to be but there are still some...

A bad/sad day a few days ago. Eldest D will be 25 next Thursday. As journaled previously I think, she had planned a few months ago to have a big party at her and her partners' house and she wanted both myself and M, and MLC and OW, to attend along with both sides of the family (aunts, cousins etc). I was thrown at the time but did come round to the idea in a 'looks like I need to get this over with, so might as well do it in that kind of setting' (where I would have the support of both his family and mine) way. Soon afterwards though D24 decided she'd rather do something else and cancelled the party before even inviting anyone but me. Then on Monday evening just gone she called me to say that she had decided she would like to have a party after all, but a much smaller one. About 15-20 of her friends, her partners parents, me and M, and her dad and OW. I had taken the call at a bad time (was just arriving at the place I keep the ponies) so I told her I'd think about it and let her know.

After careful thought I decided it was just too small and intimate a gathering for me to be able to do that. I know a lot of her friends but as usually happens at these types of events, the 'older crowd' and the 'younger crowd' often gravitate to each other and there likely wouldn't be heaps of mingling. If I had my way I'd never have to attend any functions with OW ever. I realise that's not in my future though. But nope, not like that. So I called her and let her know on Tuesday evening that I was very very sorry but I just couldn't attend under those conditions ('it's ok honey, you have a lovely party with your friends and your dad and I'll celebrate with you another day').

The discussion following did not go well. :( It didn't help that D22 also got involved (so it was a bit of a pile on where they egged each other on a bit). It was one of those convoluted, complex, circular, emotionally draining arguments where no one is sure what anyone else is saying/means/wants and there's far too many emotions flying about. A lot of built up anger and resentment and frustration from both of them came gushing out. Most of these feelings weren't caused by me (rather, the situation), but as often happens in these circumstances, the 'safe person' (ie me, their Mum) cops it (I am fairly sure they don't have these conversations with their father).

Whilst D22 agrees with me that D24's party (as now proposed) is not the right setting for a 'first meeting' (and she says SHE doesn't want to be there in that situation either), she agrees with her sister that I 'have to do this at some stage'. For some reason both of them have built up a great significance around 'the first meeting' between OW and me. I'm not sure what they think will happen, but they seem to think that once I have 'done it once' the next times will be easier. But I think they mean easier for them (although likely they think easier for me as well)? I think D24 thinks that she will be having an engagement party not too far away and she is terrified that 'THE FIRST MEETING' will be then (!!!) and that instead of enjoying herself she will be worried about what will happen (!!!). I'm sure there will also be worry about how I will be feeling... but I get the impression (maybe unfairly?) that she is more concerned with how she will be feeling. There is definitely starting to emerge, a slight vibe from them of: 'it's been 5 years, you should be more OK with all this now, we know other people whose parents have gotten over it way quicker'.

There were comments made about it 'always being about me and how I'm feeling' when we have family functions. This is so devastating for me as I try really hard NOT to make it about me. I try to just quietly fit in and make it easier for everyone to not have their day disrupted (I try to quietly slip out early). I get the impression again, that these feelings they are having are not so much about what I do but rather, again, about how shi**y the whole situation is.

They hate that it is like this now. They hate that they have to make sure they stay longer at functions than they might have wanted to so that they can spend enough separate time with their father and also me (so they don't feel guilty). They hate that they have to choose which parent can attend their own functions/parties. They hate that they can't have Christmas day at D24's because it would mean one parent couldn't come or it'd have to be a split day and that would make them stressed and sad because they know one of us (myself or their dad) would be upset (and they would feel guilty). They hate that they feel like they need to be responsible for how their parents are feeling. I can't blame them for any of those feelings. It really is a shi**y situation. I know many families have to cope with these types of situations. That doesn't make their feelings any less relevant.

To complicate the situation further, D22 wants me to be OK with being in the same room as her dad and OW... but she doesn't want to have to ever be in a room with her dad and me and OW. Because it feels weird and awkward and she hates it. So she wants me to be OK with it. But she still won't be OK with it.  :-\
But she understands that D24 would be OK with it, so she's siding with her on 'you are gonna have to do this mum'.

Really they just want it all to go away and for SOMEONE to just fix it all so it doesn't feel weird and awkward and horrible any more. Arghhhh! :'(

I was shaken and distraught after the conversation (where nothing was really resolved). The next morning I had a small fight with my sister (she started lecturing me... long story and this post is already long enough). And a convo with M which ended a tiny bit frostily when, after he implied that my girls were 'bullying' me 'but he would keep his opinion to himself on that', he got slightly defensive when I said not to judge them too harshly because he didn't know (you can imagine but never know) what being a kid from a split family was like, and that it always effects kids no matter how careful you are.  :-\ (In very good news M is a very thoughtful person and we talked about it later in depth and worked through how we were both feeling. He said he just feels protective of me and didn't like that they were pressuring me.).

It blew over with D22 the next day (who remember lives with me) and we had a lovely time going to the movies on Wed night. Then the next morning, when I asked her (over the phone) if she'd heard anything from D24 (because she hadn't answered my message), we had another long, convoluted and draining conversation about it all. But I think we both moved forward in the end in 'getting it all out' and understanding more where we are both at.

Her thoughts: a) 'this needs to happen before something big like an engagement party', b) she agrees that the currently proposed idea (at D24's party) isn't the right setting (and that I shouldn't go)... but she also asks c) 'but when WILL another function happen that WILL be the right setting?! (so... I should go... OR find a way to fix everything... somehow...)'.  I asked her straight out: "Well then, tell me precisely what you want me to do". Her reply: "I don't know". Mine: "I don't know either. It's not like I'd ever throw a party myself and invite them!".  :-\ Grrrr, why is it all still so hard?! And why is it all so unfair?! I didn't WANT any of this. I didn't CAUSE any of this (directly anyway). 

My mum and both my SILs are supportive and understand why I'm not ready to go to D24's party under those conditions. I suggested to D24 that her GMa (my mum) and my sister and her H could come as well so I felt I had some support. She didn't reply to me until this morning. Just said she didn't want to invite more people and that she'd try to organise a larger family party in the new year. So for now it's on the back-burner it seems. The only good thing about all this is I've been forced to start thinking about it (so I will be more prepared in future); my girls and I have started to work through some of it (even if we're pretty crap at it); M is proving to be a fine fella (and I feel very lucky to have met him); and I'm very lucky to have supportive friends and family (xH's and mine). God this stuff is tough, even 5 years down the track. 
BD 9th Sep 2018

h
    • Clare Brown Life Coach
Wish You Well
#66: November 23, 2023, 07:01:17 PM
Wowee Ever, you really are good at taking a step back and taking in the total landscape (and then succinctly describing it) very quickly. No doubt that it was all a lot more icky and prickly at the time of those conversations but you don’t ever stay in that place for more than a nanosecond. I also found myself getting protective and angry that you are still required to be the adult and the bigger person when you caused NONE of this. You can rest assured that it seems that you have spent the last 5 years walking the intrepid tightrope between staying in touch with your family and protecting your heart with grace and dignity and I don’t believe you have ever indulged in making it all about you. The absolute opposite in fact.
If I am not mistaken, you were prepared to ‘do this thing’ if the group had been bigger or you had the support of a few more members of your family. D24 opted out of that option so she had some choices here too. It’s not all on you. What will continue to frustrate me is, it shouldn’t be on either of you  ::)
If I am also not mistaken, the cancellation of this event means that I will get your wise and loving presence at my little shindig on that particular day. I am very grateful and will be giving you a big squeezy hug when I see you.
BD's in May 09, Sept 12 - suspected OW
Left home Jan 12 2013
OW confirmed Feb 2013
Moved home April 11 2014
BD again in April 2017 - clinging. 
Moved home again March 2020
Moved out July 2017
Moved home March 2020
D21, D19 and S17

• Mentor
Wish You Well
#67: November 23, 2023, 07:39:51 PM
I never will accept being in the same pace as an OW. My daughter doesn't get to decide for me how that makes me feel, those are my feelings and I am allowed to feel this way.

The one exception would perhaps be her wedding. Thank goodness she is already married. Both her dad and I walked her down the aisle., My situation is different in that he has kept them (for I believe there are women) a secret.

A birthday party doesn't mean that you have to subject yourself to"accepting" the OW..so that evryone can live happily everafter.

As you kindly said, you can celebrate with her at another time.

Perhaps if their dad would attend without OW (who is nothing to these girls) you would be able to attend as her parents.

Anyone that doesn't accept that this is painful and hurtful, they have not walked in our shoes.

I agree with M, although I see it more of a selfish thing...yes our kids have been through a great deal. Yes, I have been there for my daughter 100% while he's been off carousing the world...

They do not get to tell you what you "must" do...that is for you and you alone to do what is right for you..that is what is important.

Sorry, as you can tell, I am very sure of what I would do...and actually I think I should be the one to be invited and have them tell dad and OW to stay away.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 07:43:05 PM by xyzcf »
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" Hebrews 11:1

"You enrich my life and are a source of joy and consolation to me. But if I lose you, I will not, I must not spend the rest of my life in unhappiness."

" The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it". Flannery O'Connor

https://www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com/chapter-contents.html

E
Wish You Well
#68: November 23, 2023, 08:45:01 PM
Thank you dear H&F. Yes, I will absolutely be seeing you on Sunday (and I will gladly accept the squishy hug! xx).

Thank you XY also for your support. It's a hard path to negotiate and it's hard sometimes to know if you're being unreasonable or not. I definitely don't plan on having to be anywhere OW is except at large 'all family' functions. I will just have to suck it up and eat a p**-sandwich on those occasions. It is important for me to ease the situation for my girls (and everyone else) if I can without hurting myself (too much). It would be very hard for 20-somethings that haven't ever been through what I (and we all here) have been through, to fully understand what it is like. As I said above, you can only ever imagine something that you haven't lived through, never truly know.

It's interesting the different thoughts people have on this issue (interaction with xH and OW) now that there is a new person in my life. It seems that some people genuinely expected that I would (should?) be "perfectly OK now' with everything that has happened. That it will instantly allow me to 'move on' from my pain and the feelings I have about xH and OW. When my sister asked me that very question a while ago I told her 'no, I still feel the same, any movement away from those feelings is due to time and distance, not to a new person'. When she asked me that again the other day ('but won't it be easier to meet OW now that you are with M?') and I responded 'I don't understand why people keep asking me that, the two things aren't connected' she jumped down my throat and started lecturing me that she was 'just trying to be supportive' and that she 'knows several people that has happened with' etc etc. This is a pattern with her. She wants to be able to support me in the way SHE thinks is best, even when I tell her it isn't helping me. Then I am apparently 'just making it all about me'.  ??? 

I am grateful for this place that allows me to write it all out and get support and advice.

BD 9th Sep 2018

• Mentor
  • You can't please everyone. You are NOT a pizza!
Wish You Well
#69: November 24, 2023, 12:46:44 AM
Isn't it "interesting" (in that Chinese curse sort of way - "May you live in interesting times" or that American sort of way where we look at the Server burning and say "Well, THAT is interesting.") that people who have never been through what the LBS has been through have "all" the answers as to what we are supposed to feel, how we are supposed to "deal" with the things we have experienced and how soon we are supposed to just be like Elsa and just

The fact that you are in an R with M has ZERO bearing on the impact that xH's MLC had on you.

The issue with D22 that she expects you to "get over it" while she refuses to be in the same room with her F and OW.... A bit like the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?

As for Sis, until she has first hand experience (and not just "knowing several people that this has happened with blah blah blah") her opinion on what you should or should not be doing has about as much relevance as a pancake on a soccer field....
Me - 60, xW - 54
Together 19 years - Married 17 at separation & 21 at D-Day
S - 16, D - 12
1 Dog
BD#1 - August 2015
Atomic BD - 13 Dec 2015
House sold & separated - Mar 2016
Divorce final 30 August 2019
Moved on in life

Survival Instructions for Newbies
Site Map

A "friend" will not "stand by you" no matter what you do. That is NOT a friend. That is an enabler. That is an accomplice.
A REAL friend will sit you down and tell you to your face to stop being a firetrucking idiot before you ruin your life and the lives of those around you.

Legal Disclaimer

The information contained within The Hero's Spouse website family (www.midlifecrisismarriageadvocate.com, http://theherosspouse.com and associated subdomains), (collectively 'website') is provided as general information and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal, medical or mental health advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. The Hero's Spouse cannot be held responsible for the use of the information provided. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a trained medical or mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment of yourself or others. The Hero's Spouse recommends that you consult a legal professional for specific legal advice.

Any information, stories, examples, articles, or testimonials on this website do not constitute a guarantee, or prediction regarding the outcome of an individual situation. Reading and/or posting at this website does not constitute a professional relationship between you and the website author, volunteer moderators or mentors or other community members. The moderators and mentors are peer-volunteers, and not functioning in a professional capacity and are therefore offering support and advice based solely upon their own experience and not upon legal, medical, or mental health training.